Jump to content

Earth's Mightiest Heroes Go All Out In New Ongoing Avengers Series


Outsiders
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm really hoping this is gonna bring some classic Avengers back to the fold. Characters like Vision, Wanda, Clint, Bobbie, Simon, Janet, Pietro, and even Rhodey have been criminally underused as of late. Hell, maybe this book could even fix the whole 'PymTron' debacle. Hank Pym got screwed big time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, Satam said:

Yeah, seeing Mr. Plagiarism's name there isn't the kind of thing that should make a comic book fan feel anything but icky about this new series. I'm surprised every time he gets hired.

I've heard about Land copying previously used art, but has he stolen other artist's images? Or has he just reused/traced his own work? It's too bad either way, because he's actually a great artist. His work is beautiful, it's just too bad that he's tainted his reputation with shady practices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 5:30 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I've heard about Land copying previously used art, but has he stolen other artist's images? Or has he just reused/traced his own work? It's too bad either way, because he's actually a great artist. His work is beautiful, it's just too bad that he's tainted his reputation with shady practices.

Tristan Jones accused Land of copying his Aliens work for Marvel's Aliens Omnibus and there are many other examples. He isn't a great artist he just photoshops/photomanipulates images, he doesn't actually draw them. Even his fellow creators (like Matt Fraction) have criticised his limited use of  poses and facial expressions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I've heard about Land copying previously used art, but has he stolen other artist's images? Or has he just reused/traced his own work? It's too bad either way, because he's actually a great artist. His work is beautiful, it's just too bad that he's tainted his reputation with shady practices.

Probably the best discussion of the art “reference” is here 

I have personally never found his art to be that interesting, all of his faces and poses seem out of place  for the situation  they are in.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be the first time I put up with Greg Land's "art" for the sake of an artist or character I like. Today it was revealed this book is going to be written by Derek Landy, so this will be one of those instances. I loved Landy's work in Captain America/Iron Man, so I can't wait to see what he does with more heroes. The line-up is shaping up to have Captain America, Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Black Panther and Spider-Woman. That's a pretty standard roster, so I'm gonna be selfish and cross my fingers for Iron Man to appear as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, leokearon said:

He must be cheap to hire

Yeah, Land is a fast "artist." I guess it's easy to pump out pages when your work was already done by your past self, other artists, cosplayers, adult magazine models, and Google images. I think the clearest and most recent example of this is when Joe Bennett was booted from Timeless #1 at the 11th hour, so his replacement was Greg Land.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 1:30 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I've heard about Land copying previously used art, but has he stolen other artist's images? Or has he just reused/traced his own work? It's too bad either way, because he's actually a great artist. His work is beautiful, it's just too bad that he's tainted his reputation with shady practices.

In addition to the ComicTropes video posted above, here's a good primer on Land's "artistry" (except for the image in the middle of the guy having a heart attack, that's by Land's fellow tracer Salvador Larroca):

f7b.jpg

Tracing aside, I personally don't find his artwork good. The facial expressions of his characters feel artificial and their poses stilted, it's like he's drawing wax dolls. Many times the expressions don't even fit what the dialogue is going for, which really takes me out of the reading experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, ADour said:

In addition to the ComicTropes video posted above, here's a good primer on Land's "artistry" (except for the image in the middle of the guy having a heart attack, that's by Land's fellow tracer Salvador Larroca):

f7b.jpg

Tracing aside, I personally don't find his artwork good. The facial expressions of his characters feel artificial and their poses stilted, it's like he's drawing wax dolls. Many times the expressions don't even fit what the dialogue is going for, which really takes me out of the reading experience.

Of course he's facial expressions and poses are artificial and stilted, he's just photoshopping still photos instead of drawing them. Even his Uncanny X-men collaborator Matt Fraction criticised his work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, ADour said:

Wouldn't be the first time I put up with Greg Land's "art" for the sake of an artist or character I like. Today it was revealed this book is going to be written by Derek Landy, so this will be one of those instances. I loved Landy's work in Captain America/Iron Man, so I can't wait to see what he does with more heroes. The line-up is shaping up to have Captain America, Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Black Panther and Spider-Woman. That's a pretty standard roster, so I'm gonna be selfish and cross my fingers for Iron Man to appear as well.

I was hoping that the book would at least get a lot of the forgotten Avengers like Hawkeye, Wanda, Vision, Wonderman and co. a chance to be back in an Avenger bok, but it looks like it is a line-up similiar to Aaron's team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 4:17 AM, leokearon said:

I was hoping that the book would at least get a lot of the forgotten Avengers like Hawkeye, Wanda, Vision, Wonderman and co. a chance to be back in an Avenger bok, but it looks like it is a line-up similiar to Aaron's team

I'd love to see Landy use other classic Avengers like those. Aaron's near-monopoly of the Avengers brand really hurt the non-A-listers of the team. All of the characters you mentioned have been benched and collecting dust, with sporadic appearances here and there (at least Clint is going to lead the Thunderbolts again).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, ADour said:

I'd love to see Landy use other classic Avengers like those. Aaron's near-monopoly of the Avengers brand really hurt the non-A-listers of the team. All of the characters you mentioned have been benched and collecting dust, with sporadic appearances here and there (at least Clint is going to lead the Thunderbolts again).

Vision especially has been shelved not even WandVision got him anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, they just announced that Landy will indeed have access to any character who has been an Avenger, and the book will have a rotating cast, with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Blade, and Spider-Woman being the debut line-up.

Now I'm very exicted. I can only hope the art team is also rotating...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, ADour said:

Alright, they just announced that Landy will indeed have access to any character who has been an Avenger, and the book will have a rotating cast, with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Blade, and Spider-Woman being the debut line-up.

Now I'm very exicted. I can only hope the art team is also rotating...

Hopefully he will sue the opportunity to focus on the forgotten Avengers and not just rely on the Big Names

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE