Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan-First Live-Stream Tuesday April 19 Coverage

JayC

I guess the new Spider-Men figures were good reveals. Too bad people will now ask for the next lame costume variant and/or their idea of a definitive version and continue the circle....

Anyway I think Toad looks fantastic, probably the only figure I preorder tomorrow. Otherwise the stream was just alright, better than the last ones. 

I'm good with the Retro Spidey don't want or need any of the new ones revealed today. Just so many 2-Packs, the price is going to add up insanely quick for people interested in everything. 

Lizard looks great, will order that when it drops. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as Strange did.

As for the new boxes I understand the environmental issue but man they look terrible, they look like knockoff Legends. The swaps will only increase for sure. Can you even tell what accessories come in the box?

Saw the possible teases in the background. Hoping that Morph is just released on a retro card instead of the animated series line but probably won't. Definitely want a new Daredevil, was hoping they'd "shrink" down the 12" version like they did with the Love Triangle Wolverine. Don't really need another Apocalypse.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:13 AM, Air-Walker said:

Nothing can blast me off higher into the stratosphere than a wicked and long desired action figure, and nothing can bring me crashing back to Earth faster and in a blazing meteor of grief and gastric torment than when said figure is a freaking Wal-Mart exclusive. Gods there are days I really hate this hobby. 

I hear you, and its the kind of thing that makes me back off of it. Also the overly inflated prices for sub-standard work, not to mention the notion that  "we won't do this/that because it may offend people who don't even buy our product" as opposed to doing what the collectors (actual consumers) want. Its just an overall vibe of disregard for the fans. Far as exclusives go, it does look like walgreens at least is starting to get its act together....so thats some light at the end of the tunnel....

Man, who knew Toad had so many fanboys/girls. LOL

Toybiz/Hasbro really doing the lord's work dragging him out this long. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely getting him as I'm an X-Men fanboy completist, but the character is quite lame, especially among the X-Men's rogues gallery.

Question for the group: was Toad's "wicked" tongue [Senator]  a movie invention?

Also on Dan's background, which Toybiz figure is behind Morph? Purple packaging so it's a villain. His (?) face is even peeking out. My guesses were Forearm or Gideon based on the face or the ponytail but those were on the X-Force card.

Screenshot_20220419-113814_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8876a4aee1ddcfc3f47d544b1b9a3a19.jpg

On 4/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, monron999 said:

Not a big fan of the pedestrian type figures, especially since 90 percent of them to this point have been done on some version of the same terrible suited buck, but I really do like the Peter and Ned 2 pack. So, in 3 to 5 years, when they get around to doing the figures for No Way Home again, are they gonna do a skinny Ned or just repurpose this mold?

The problem with pedestrian figures is like you said, the majority of them are men in one of the 3 suit options we have right now or the Stan Lee/comic Peter body. This Ned 2-pack gives me hope though, I'd love to see a casual female body at some point for Jane Foster, maybe along the lines of Jessica Jones, and a more dressy one for Pepper, in addition to some other options for casual male looks. 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:56 PM, Atlantis said:

I hear you, and its the kind of thing that makes me back off of it. Also the overly inflated prices for sub-standard work, not to mention the notion that  "we won't do this/that because it may offend people who don't even buy our product" as opposed to doing what the collectors (actual consumers) want. Its just an overall vibe of disregard for the fans. Far as exclusives go, it does look like walgreens at least is starting to get its act together....so thats some light at the end of the tunnel....

Soooort of; Walgreen's isn't in Canada, but...Gamestop here get's their exclusives, and they've been much much better lately for getting all of them. (i.e. Moon Knight never turned up here). And I agree; the prices on these are getting too crazy (you can't get more than 2 recent ML releases for under 100$), and the feeling of having to keep jumping through hoops to get them is getting too off-putting.

I would love nothing more than a direct channel of communication to the Hasbro team to tell them that Wal-Mart exclusive Legends don't show up here half the time. I know our market is much smaller, but even so, Walmart exclusives do us zero favours. At least with Amazon we always have a chance, both with or either the .com and .ca sites. Ehhhh, I'm just frustrated, lol. Thanks for the ear and support. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, Air-Walker said:

Soooort of; Walgreen's isn't in Canada, but...Gamestop here get's their exclusives, and they've been much much better lately for getting all of them. (i.e. Moon Knight never turned up here). And I agree; the prices on these are getting too crazy (you can't get more than 2 recent ML releases for under 100$), and the feeling of having to keep jumping through hoops to get them is getting too off-putting.

I would love nothing more than a direct channel of communication to the Hasbro team to tell them that Wal-Mart exclusive Legends don't show up here half the time. I know our market is much smaller, but even so, Walmart exclusives do us zero favours. At least with Amazon we always have a chance, both with or either the .com and .ca sites. Ehhhh, I'm just frustrated, lol. Thanks for the ear and support. 

it's toy-r-us this time for the Lizard I think.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, enzosaurusrex said:

Also on Dan's background, which Toybiz figure is behind Morph? Purple packaging so it's a villain. His (?) face is even peeking out. My guesses were Forearm or Gideon based on the face or the ponytail but those were on the X-Force card.

Screenshot_20220419-113814_Twitter.thumb.jpg.8876a4aee1ddcfc3f47d544b1b9a3a19.jpg

My initial reaction was Sabretooth, but I have no idea. I found the image below online that I think matches.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0090/6647/9697/products/PSX-20191014-121111_1200x1200.jpg?v=1571027264

Well that was a pretty great fan first, lots of really nice looking items here, super surprised at how some of these things turned out in the end mainly Toad...I'm not sure I'm happy with that Toad there.

anyways my recap

Peter & Ned - While I'm actually stunned at how well these 2 turned out, they did a bang up job on the face sculpts, and the body molds and accessories, they look really great, I have Zero interest in picking up this set, happy for those who would.

Spiderverse Spider-Man Noir - It looks cool for what it is, but again like Ned & Peter I have zero interest in picking this up as I did with the other Spider Verse figures, I appreciate the new trench coat and the pixelated deco, but I will stick with the comic Noir I already have.

Toad - Yes!...wait No! wait...Yes, I'm torn, somethings about this figure feel like a let down to me, I was hoping for a stout body and not this skinny one, the face sculpt doesn't do it for me, more of that crazy weird cracked magazine baby look kinda like Bonebreaker and First Apperanceish Sabretooth, I also can't say I love the colors they are too muted, but with all that being said I do want to get this figure, and I will hope it grows on me, 20 years and I feel like they could have done this a bit better.

Iron Spider - a total yes, since they showed it last year I've been on board, looks really great, and always was a huge fan of this look, but that gold on those waldoes so basic toy look still..can't we get over this. I will be grabbing this guy for sure though.

Future Foundation Stealth Suit - Easy Pass

Knull & Venom - Oh yes, Knull is a must have for me, and finally a winged venom from that run, figure looks insane, and wasn't expecting the venom to be on the movie mold but I dig it, this 2 pack is a must get.

Spidey & Spinneret - Oh yes! I think that Spidey isn't a real want for me, if it was a single release I'd pass, but it looks really amazing and with the pinless and toe articulation it's really cool, the highlight here is Mary Jane, I have been hoping for a Spinneret since I saw that look in the comics and this figure does all that justice, I need this pack, will I keep Spidey maybe, but I;ll shuck out the bucks for the Spinner, wish this however did come with Spiderling rather then Peter. but I gotta get all of those Comic ladies.

Retro Lizard - while I'm a huge fan of the BAF Lizard, I still think that figure is insanely beautiful, this is going to be hard to say no to, I love Lizard and this is a fun classic version I would love to get it, but it is Walmart and that sucks for us Canadians, so I guess in the end if I don't get it I can still be fine I have a Lizard.

Amazing Fantasy Spidey - Really awesome, they did excellent work here, but an Easy Pass for me.

Pretty good livestream, in my opinion. The Lizard is cool but I had actually been hoping they would just be re-releasing the BAF. It's still a buy for me, though as I've been using the old Toy Biz Ultimate Lizard for years now. Toad is not quite what I expected but I will get him to replace my Toy Biz version. Pass on animated Noir Spider-Man as I'm not a fan of the Spider-Verse figures. Will definitely get the Knull/Venom 2-pack but would have strongly preferred the wings on Knull. I'll get the Peter/Ned 2-pack to use as civilian figures, but will likely do head swaps with more generic heads. Pass on First Appearance Spidey and Stealth Suit Future Foundation Spidey. Iron Spider is a great update and vast improvement on the the one I have now, although I wish they had given an option of a fourth waldo. Will definitely get the Spidey/Spinnerette 2-pack though - that Spidey might finally replace my ToyBiz McFarlane Spidey as my primary Spider-Man figure. Already pre-ordered DocOck/Silk to replace my Toy Biz ML Series VIII Doc Ock and the very first release of Silk. All in all, some great stuff! 

I'll echo the comments of others on the new windowless packaging. I'm all for sustainability and reducing carbon footprint, but these windowless boxes just feel wrong. I've been collecting this line for 2 full decades and didn't start keeping figures mint on card until maybe 3 years ago. Obviously I won't be doing that at all on these future releases. I already buy almost exclusively online due to never being able to find anything at retail - but I can definitely see in-store sales of these figures falling off a cliff after this packaging is standard. That paired with rapidly rising prices will likely cause sales to take a hit. I saw that the Knull/Venom is like $78. Toad is $33. Net/Pete and Spidey/Spinnerette are both $56 each. We're pushing the boundaries a bit here of what people will be willing to pay, I think. I remember when these 6" figures were under $10, now they're approaching $30 and more? And you can't see what you're buying? I'm no marketing guru but this seems like a bad combination.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Toad - Yes!...wait No! wait...Yes, I'm torn, somethings about this figure feel like a let down to me, I was hoping for a stout body and not this skinny one, the face sculpt doesn't do it for me, more of that crazy weird cracked magazine baby look kinda like Bonebreaker and First Apperanceish Sabretooth

HAHAHA nailed it! It really does look like that.

I recognize it's not everyone's cup of tea and Legends figures were probably not the right format for his art but I'm really liking these Paul Harding heads mostly because I like doing caricatures and really enjoy Mort Drucker's work on Mad Magazine.

On 4/19/2022 at 4:56 PM, enzosaurusrex said:

I recognize it's not everyone's cup of tea and Legends figures were probably not the right format for his art but I'm really liking these Paul Harding heads mostly because I like doing caricatures and really enjoy Mort Drucker's work on Mad Magazine.

Hahah yeah the whole Mort Drucker inspired looks on these faces are not really doing it for me, because I feel like somebody aka Paul Harding wasn't taking it serious, like it was a funny joke, like how can we make this guy look like he doesn't belong here and has a drug addiction., if you took the heads off say a toad and put it beside just the head of say vintage punisher, I'd say they would look like two different lines.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:03 PM, Virtualzach said:

Every time I see a new release posted, it's 10% more than the previous time.  Seriously, for the past year.  Why are these 150% the price they were just ONE year ago?  I thought the $22.99 was supposed to be the price hike.  Not the first of three...

alot of these are Anniversary sets and they are usually at a higher price point.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Retro Lizard - while I'm a huge fan of the BAF Lizard, I still think that figure is insanely beautiful, this is going to be hard to say no to, I love Lizard and this is a fun classic version I would love to get it, but it is Walmart and that sucks for us Canadians, so I guess in the end if I don't get it I can still be fine I have a Lizard.

That's my big worry. I live in a smaller province so I usually have to go online for my stuff and I wasn't able to snag the baf saddly. This might be a figure that I get scalped on

On 4/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, enzosaurusrex said:

Good eye, but yeah, definitely not either of those X-Force branded characters. Looking closer there is some white art extending into the bottom of the "X". Looking back, the only villain I can find that has any white art doing something like that is with the Brood figure. Hasbro has done the Brood Queen before and while it didn't look bad it took an act of God to keep that thing from falling apart and the articulation was straight ayass. Maybe there's some kind of Brood army builder in the works with some removable "human" arms and legs and, of course, a head sculpt that can be changed with most figures.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Toad - Yes!...wait No! wait...Yes, I'm torn, somethings about this figure feel like a let down to me, I was hoping for a stout body and not this skinny one, the face sculpt doesn't do it for me, more of that crazy weird cracked magazine baby look kinda like Bonebreaker and First Apperanceish Sabretooth,

On 4/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, enzosaurusrex said:

It is very weird. As some have pointed out in earlier posts, it's clearly based off Rob Liefeld art. The really funny thing is Toad looks exactly like the way Liefeld drew himself into the Youngblood comic some years later when he proposed to his girlfriend. So it's almost like we have a Liefeld action figure. Typically enough, he still can't draw feet.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:33 PM, Reno said:

My initial reaction was Sabretooth, but I have no idea. I found the image below online that I think matches.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0090/6647/9697/products/PSX-20191014-121111_1200x1200.jpg?v=1571027264

Yea I think that's it. Sabes it is. Damnit I thought we had something there lol

On 4/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, JayC said:

Just to clarify from my report earlier. I expect to almost def see tomorrow a 6 figure Spider-Man themed wave revealed and 1 stand-alone retro cardback figure which may or may not be Spider-Man related.  I don't know what the specific figures will be though as I mentioned before I speculate they may be related to the Spider-Man 60th Anniversary stuff that has been rumored.

Just remembered about this. I'm guessing the retro figure was Lizard, but the wave didn't get revealed?

That Toad is the worst of the ToyBiz homage figures and if I were an XMen fan that has waited as long as you have I would riot after seen by that THIS was the result of that huge wait?!? I’m shocked that anyone who wanted a Toad figure would be pleased that this is the figure you will be getting. 

Im really hating the no plastic solution. I’ve only gotten stung twice in my long Legends collecting career and both times was because I overlooked a missing accessory. But BECAUSE I was able to see the figure I was able to avoid many figure swaps. I’ve a terrible feeling collectors are going to get burned by these windowless boxes.