Hasbro Marvel Legends New Non-Plastic Figure Packaging Revealed

JayC

On 4/21/2022 at 2:16 PM, monron999 said:

The fact that the more boring figures like the Captain Marvel and especially the Eternals figures and many of the female figures seem to linger on the shelves should indicate that young male children are still the major driver of the line. That's who they should be targeting. And as young children they mostly depend on a parent to purchase their toys and I think a lot less parents are gonna be willing to purchase these products sight unseen. And how many times are they gonna have to get home and find out a figure has been swapped out in the packaging before they stop purchasing that product altogether?

Furthermore, between the two lines I would say a large majority of the Transformers line (especially the retro type products) are geared more towards the adult collector. Transformers is a legacy franchise (not being specific to the actual Legacy line) with a large portion of older fans who collect for the nostalgia, even with the newer products. In comparison the Marvel Legends line is a much younger franchise (about 20 years) with a typically much younger following. That excuse sounds like something they pulled straight outta their ayass on the fly just to make the question go away for the time. Can you imagine Mattel putting the MOTU Origins line, which is 100 percent made for the nostalgia crowd, in windowless boxes because they're geared towards an older crowd? Absolute nonsense. Anyone with a half skilled tongue can talk a talk and try to put frosting on a turd. That don't make it cake.

Actually the majority of Transformers  toys are aimed towards kids, even Generations, where the majority of buyers are 8-12 year olds (or parents buying for them). The only truly dedicated adult line is Generations Selects, as only adult collectors will know the characters or get the references and never had windows. MOTU Origins is completely different as the Nostalgia packaging is part of the whole appeal/gimmick. Transformers (barring the early collaborative figures) doesn't have retro type line, Oh how I would love to see new TFs in Retro packaging. 

Unfortunately going sight unseen will probably be the way no plastic packaging will go, especially for Marvel Legends since no window is just going to led to headless figures.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, RyanDaly said:

Regardless of how we feel about windowless packaging, we must assume this will kill the nostalgia-fueled retro-card and anniversary lines, right? 

well the anniversary is the first to get the plastic free packaging for so im guessing no. but the Retro wave is questionable for now. Lizard could be the last, but we don't know yet. they may be working on another type of packaging for it.

as someone who can only buy only these doesn't affect me. But I can see why other would be bother by this. However, the only ones shown so far are online exclusive so maybe there is another design for retail versions. 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, RyanDaly said:

Regardless of how we feel about windowless packaging, we must assume this will kill the nostalgia-fueled retro-card and anniversary lines, right? 

Yeah it is hard to see how the Retro line would work without the Blister packaging

On 4/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, leokearon said:

Actually the majority of Transformers  toys are aimed towards kids, even Generations, where the majority of buyers are 8-12 year olds (or parents buying for them).

Yeah I just don't see kids buying Marvel Legends in the same numbers adults do. And the Marvel Haslab projects bear that out too- those weren't marketed to kids ( Galactus or the Sentinels). Female figures might not peg warm if they were made correctly in the first place. Said it before and I'll say it again: they don't have an issue with Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thor being on distinctly different bucks; they're not interchangeable. So they shouldn't be treating the female figures as if they were. The female figures need to have the same articulation that the males have, female teens aren't supposed to be on female adult bucks, and yes some characters have heftier torsos than others and that's fine. In fact if there's an upside to "no windows", its that that should help quell the fears of those that have a problem with female characters depicted in action form.

Since it was mentioned on the front page, I will point out that Transformers: Legacy packaging would be a bad idea for Marvel Legends. We all know that in some cases, a Marvel Legends figure can just be an old figure but with a new (mostly better) head. If that's the case they get ready to see stuff like this. 

fqbaglawqacdkbc_by_leokearon_df3ylst-pre

On 4/26/2022 at 4:05 AM, leokearon said:

Since it was mentioned on the front page, I will point out that Transformers: Legacy packaging would be a bad idea for Marvel Legends. We all know that in some cases, a Marvel Legends figure can just be an old figure but with a new (mostly better) head. If that's the case they get ready to see stuff like this. 

fqbaglawqacdkbc_by_leokearon_df3ylst-pre

Your not going to stop people from doing stuff like this. You can do that with the current packaging. The idea is as the consumer you need to be able to see if its happened or not.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, JayC said:

Your not going to stop people from doing stuff like this. You can do that with the current packaging. The idea is as the consumer you need to be able to see if its happened or not.

It's pretty easy to see a headless toy and I'm amazed they can do that in the shops with the current packaging.

They only logical way then for Marvel Legends to do secure plastic free packaging is go the Generations Selects route.

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times. Keep putting as much lipstick on that pig as you want, i ain't buying it. literally. And anyone who ends up with those lipstick stains on their collar pretty much deserve that pre-infinite Klaw that they switched out for that Longshot we've been waiting about 15 years for, cuz we all knew damn well that's what was coming. Yes, I understand the environmental points are what the suits were chasing but they could have easily gone to a smaller window and gone with a more biodegradable based plastic like corn oil. Sure it'll start to yellow and get funky and sticky over time, but isn't that a small price to pay for y'know, the environment and stuff? And for farmers who actually grow stuff, rather than loggers who just cut crap down and then proceed to pollute the air and land with a pulping and bleaching and pest removing and decomposition treatment and drying process that's toxic at every turn. You know, after all the diesel fumes created by the machinery that cut it down in the first place. Yeah, I'm sure the environment is the first thing on their mind. Or at least latching onto what the general public's perception of what environmentally friendly is, anyway. Yep, looks like the lipstick industry is in for a giant boom.

Personally I will be buying most of my crap online anyways, unless I find a wave at the brick and mortar the day it's released, cuz anything past day two has a fair chance of falling victim to the old switch-a-roo, who the thieves keep getting better and quicker at pulling off and the manufacturers seem to keep getting worse at preventing.

I guess Hasbro sited hundreds of millions of loses last year, but I think most of it can be traced back to the doings under their own volition. You know stupid crap like the Eternals wave, the Shang-Chi wave, the 2nd Disney+ wave, going all-in behind that Snake Eyes movie we all knew was gonna suck, breaking the bank to snatch the Fortnite license and then proceeding to tank it faster than they did the Overwatch line. Oh, and let's not forget all the terrible non-Mando, non-Original Trilogy Star Wars Black crap they can't give away but still keep insisting on blowing boatloads of cash on making. But nah, I'm sure none of that or maybe all of that had nothing to do with it. Just like I'm sure all the figure swapping will have no impact on in-store sales, which probably will not lead to the stores not deciding to purchase and stock those products, which would most definitely not deprive Hasbro of guaranteed case sales and cause products like ML and SWB to have to stand on true sales and pre-orders numbers from online retailers, and possibly end up ending the ML line. I'm sure none of that can happen. And do you think any of that in any way is gonna result in Hasbro producing a better product? No, it'll probably only result in another price hike. Well at least all those early figure review videos are gonna come in a lot more handy in the future for all us more conscientious collectors.

At least maybe we'll be spared from the horraaah of pegs 12 deep with Eternals and Captain Space Messiah and AoA2 figures and product from now on. But then again that's probably just wishful thinking as well.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:28 AM, Atlantis said:

In fact if there's an upside to "no windows", its that that should help quell the fears of those that have a problem with female characters depicted in action form.

Okay, I give. What is this a veiled reference to? The fear of open legs? Some antiquated religion where women aren't allowed to do anything "action" related? Some third option?

On 4/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, NotNamed said:

Okay, I give. What is this a veiled reference to? The fear of open legs? Some antiquated religion where women aren't allowed to do anything "action" related? Some third option?

I think hes referring to the Moonstone body mold controversy and lack of bust in majority of hasbros female legends. I could be misreading it tho. 

On 4/26/2022 at 11:06 PM, EvilHayato said:

I think hes referring to the Moonstone body mold controversy and lack of bust in majority of hasbros female legends. I could be misreading it tho. 

Ah, I didn't think of that. That is a postive then, if it would allow the Moonstone buck to still be used and spare us from the blatherings of puritan hypocrites who don't even buy these things.

Any how...Yeah, I agree with most everyone here: the windowless boxes...lame. 99% of all my figures are online too, so I'm not personally worried about swapping. But, still...not being able to see the figure inside, there's definitely a loss of magic there. I hope that we can collectively come down on Hasbro hard enough for them to backtrack.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, Air-Walker said:

".......That is a postive then, if it would allow the Moonstone buck to still be used and spare us from the blatherings of puritan hypocrites who don't even buy these things."

Appaluse! Well done sir! And even to those that do buy them.....but also bought the comics they came from. The comics, that for decades, portrayed characters and none of them had a problem with them. But even more importantly, unlocking this mind set that they (hasbro team) has to approach female figs differently. Just look how long it took to get biceps swivel and double elbows for them. They could've done it all along, but were worried about the "aesthetic". Please...just make them the way they're supposed to look. Don't put them all (more or less) on the same buck. Give them the same range and articulation the male figures have. And if you're still scared, then go ahead and put Emma Frost or Goblin Queen on Pulse, in some blah windowless box. Just make them look the way they're supposed to.

Now tbh, I don't think they're gonna go full bore with this idea unless every other action figure line does. We'll see.

I doubt we will see any drastic changes on how figures are sculpted because they will now be hidden within a closed box. That is some nice thinking outside the box though 😉 but don't see it happening.

IDK why someone would just steal a head of a figure unless they are just trying to vandalize for the sake of vandalizing. I do remember some figure where heads were being stolen but can't remember what it was.

The reason why it can be done in the current packaging is because most swappers dont actually do the swapping/stealing in stores. The buy the figure take it home, remove it from the packaging and replace it with something else. They then return said item to store for a refund where the person at the returns desk is completely oblivious to whats actually supposed to be in the box. So they take it throw it in a bin where eventually its returned to the shelves to be resold to some unsuspecting sucker. The employees dont really care. I've actually taken a swapped figure up to the CS desk and told them this is not the figure thats supposed to be in there only to find a few days later the exact same swapped figure back out on the shelves.

I've seen some suggest that if you made the box so if you open it then you can clearly see its been opened. The problem with that is the retail store likely doesnt want that cause then it would be harder to resell returned items even if the item isnt swapped. The fact its been opened means people will be less likely to want to buy it.

The open window does make it easier to steal like say just a head so again the retailer is probably not going to like that.

At the end of the day my guess Hasbro is hoping the swapper thing happens infrequently enough it wont be that big an issue and while many people are complaining about the packaging they probably feel it wont keep most people from still actually buying the stuff. In the interviews you will hear the Hasbro guys say we are closely monitoring how it goes. That translates to if we see the new packaging actually starts to cause a negative effect on actual sales then we will re-evaluate.

My guess is Hasbro is right, that as much as people complain they will still buy the figures regardless of the packaging.

I think it was a Lebron James toy people kept stealing the heads off of, it was some internet trend.

I don't think new packaging will affect my purchases much, but certainly isn't going to help in-store sales much since being able to inspect the figure ahead of time was one of the few advantages of buying at a store.

The tone/content of some of the posts here make me wonder if the poster actually enjoys this hobby or if its more like one of those cursed ebony blade things, where they hate collecting action figures but feel a compulsion to do it anyhow.  

I’m hearing a lot of me, me, me on this thread. If Hasbro, or any other company, can find a way to have a significant environmental impact should do it. If you don’t like what any company is doing don’t give them your money. There are many other companies producing Marvel product (most at significantly higher prices) so I patronize those companies. Or don’t. Spend your money on whatever you want. If you don’t like Hasbro’s products, packaging, or anything else simply don’t buy it. If what they produce is not profitable for them, they’ll change. If it is profitable for them they’ll continue and then you have to make a choice with your wallet that’s best for you. 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, Elektro said:

No problem for me, I’ll just open whatever I’m buying before I pay for it. If something is missing or looks to be defective it goes right back where I found it. If they don’t like open packages they can add a window, or un-fix the non-issue.

This sir, is how I'm starting to see my approach. I figure I would know more about this product than the person at the service desk so if its the correct figure with the correct parts I will purchase it and if it's been swapped I can report it properly and be on my way and most likely, as @JayC has pointed out, see it back on the shelf 2 days later.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:08 AM, JayC said:

I doubt we will see any drastic changes on how figures are sculpted because they will now be hidden within a closed box. That is some nice thinking outside the box though 😉 but don't see it happening.

I agree. However I wouldn't call it "drastic" change.....just making the figures they way they're supposed to be made. And its not like they don't have a better mold option...after all they didn't retire or eliminate anything, far as I know. 

But isn't it a little sad that in order to get the figures accurate, there has to be a "drastic" change made? 

Some of you know what I mean here. If you have the Ms. Marvel from the 3 pack, or the Gamora from the SDCC 5-pack (both of these from about 8 years ago?), and stand the "vintage" Black Widow (5 yrs) next to them, clearly the newer figure has the worst detail and accuracy. No double jointed biceps, spindly, gummy legs....hardly a worthy representation from what's supposed to be one of Marvel's premiere fighters. Its like putting Cap on the pizza Spidey buck. They just use this model for their female figs way way too much. 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:25 PM, Atlantis said:

I agree. However I wouldn't call it "drastic" change.....just making the figures they way they're supposed to be made. And its not like they don't have a better mold option...after all they didn't retire or eliminate anything, far as I know. 

But isn't it a little sad that in order to get the figures accurate, there has to be a "drastic" change made? 

Some of you know what I mean here. If you have the Ms. Marvel from the 3 pack, or the Gamora from the SDCC 5-pack (both of these from about 8 years ago?), and stand the "vintage" Black Widow (5 yrs) next to them, clearly the newer figure has the worst detail and accuracy. No double jointed biceps, spindly, gummy legs....hardly a worthy representation from what's supposed to be one of Marvel's premiere fighters. Its like putting Cap on the pizza Spidey buck. They just use this model for their female figs way way too much. 

This is absolutely correct and there is no better proof of this than to comparing the Warbird, Captain Marvel from the Odin wave and the recent Walgreens Binary. All the same person, but one of them is clearly out of cinque with the other two. And why? It's for ridiculous reasons and to deny it's an intentional thing is equally ridiculous, and I would venture to say nobody here is clueless enough not to see what they're saying with it.