Marvel Legends Black Panther Legacy Collection Figures Revealed

JayC

Well, the price increase is line-wide so i'm not sure faulting this particular wave is justified -   expecting that they will go back on the overall price increase and charge $20 per figure just for this one wave doesn't seem particularly reasonable.

None of the other waves you mention would tie into the hype for BP 3, which is clearly what this wave is designed to do - give collectors another shot at figures for characters who are probably not in the proper BP 3 wave, especially one last shot at Chadwick Boseman panther figures.  And of course kind of a cash grab by hasbro as well, but that's just business. Nobody's forcing anybody to buy anything, an easy wave to skip.

My guess is that this is what legacy line will be used for, i'm not sure how many marvel movies would really merit a wave of re-releases, perhaps GotG 3 but since they just did anther starlord and groot in the L & T wave maybe not.

we all know hasbro is happy to make more money re-releasing things, comic figures are just lower on priority list and  we can see nostalgia has now moved past the 90s and we're getting nostalgic over the start of ML in the 2000s with the 20th anniversary line.   and i'm pretty sure hasbro views the out-of-control aftermarket prices on figures as a feature not a bug anyhow, since collectors can always justify buying figures with the rationale their value has a good chance of going up later.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:44 AM, bashpics99 said:

"...Well, the price increase is line-wide so i'm not sure faulting this particular wave is justified -   expecting that they will go back on the overall price increase and charge $20 per figure just for this one wave doesn't seem particularly reasonable..."

I don't see how its not reasonable....these aren't new figures, so it doesn't make sense that they should cost anymore than when they first were released. If they want to tie into some upcoming movie, at least throw something in there that's new. But fine; they've done it, its up to the consumer to choose to buy or not buy.

One other thing, not related to any movie or anything, but just the "re-release" notion itself- if theyre gonna re-release figures, how about going back to all those walgreen exclusives that never saw the light of day for most people and put those out? I bet fans would love that  lol!

On 5/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, Atlantis said:

I don't see how its not reasonable....these aren't new figures, so it doesn't make sense that they should cost anymore than when they first were released. If they want to tie into some upcoming movie, at least throw something in there that's new. But fine; they've done it, its up to the consumer to choose to buy or not buy.

One other thing, not related to any movie or anything, but just the "re-release" notion itself- if theyre gonna re-release figures, how about going back to all those walgreen exclusives that never saw the light of day for most people and put those out? I bet fans would love that  lol!

They could do something like the Black Series Archive line, though I'm not sure if Exclusives could be done, it would depend on how long the exclusivity lasts on the figure.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:16 AM, leokearon said:

They could do something like the Black Series Archive line, though I'm not sure if Exclusives could be done, it would depend on how long the exclusivity lasts on the figure.

Yes, and while i know this was not your point in bringing it up, last i checked, BS Archives were the same price as the rest of the ordinary Black Series figures. they don't get marked down $5 or whatever because they are all re-use, which again does not seem like a reasonable expectation to me.  

As for WG exclusive, last i checked some of the recent ones will be available on Dorkside and BBTS, perhaps other places as well.  And i recall places like EE getting the Cuckoos a few years back as well.  Didn't this site announce that 80th Cap and some other WM exclusives were going to be available thru other retailers as well? I can't quite remember. So it does seem like some effort is being made to ensure that exclusives are made more available.

I'm all in favor of re-releasing previous figures that people weren't able to get. What that has to do with re-releasing a bunch of mcu Black Panther figures i don't know. The argument seems to be, they shouldn't be re-releasing them at a higher price point, and why aren't they also re-releasing every previous exclusive and/or box set?  kind of like complaining that a restaurant's food is terrible AND the portions are too small.

But whatever, mostly seems like its indirectly about the overall price increases for the line, which is fine to vent about. I don't think anybody's happy with paying $25 for a figure that was $20 about a year ago.  tbh i doubt hasbro is thrilled with it either as i'm sure they are aware it will reduce overall sales. but i don't think i need to point out prices have gone up on everything else too.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:42 PM, bashpics99 said:

Yes, and while i know this was not your point in bringing it up, last i checked, BS Archives were the same price as the rest of the ordinary Black Series figures. they don't get marked down $5 or whatever because they are all re-use, which again does not seem like a reasonable expectation to me.  

As for WG exclusive, last i checked some of the recent ones will be available on Dorkside and BBTS, perhaps other places as well.  And i recall places like EE getting the Cuckoos a few years back as well.  Didn't this site announce that 80th Cap and some other WM exclusives were going to be available thru other retailers as well? I can't quite remember. So it does seem like some effort is being made to ensure that exclusives are made more available.

I'm all in favor of re-releasing previous figures that people weren't able to get. What that has to do with re-releasing a bunch of mcu Black Panther figures i don't know. The argument seems to be, they shouldn't be re-releasing them at a higher price point, and why aren't they also re-releasing every previous exclusive and/or box set?  kind of like complaining that a restaurant's food is terrible AND the portions are too small.

But whatever, mostly seems like its indirectly about the overall price increases for the line, which is fine to vent about. I don't think anybody's happy with paying $25 for a figure that was $20 about a year ago.  tbh i doubt hasbro is thrilled with it either as i'm sure they are aware it will reduce overall sales. but i don't think i need to point out prices have gone up on everything else too.

Actually in some places over here, Archive figures are actually slightly more expensive than regular figures. Of course these are at a higher price point, they were made when the materials cost more. These aren't just old toys, shoved into a new box, they are new toys, so of course they will cost more.

• 1 month later...

Are these turn around videos really necessary? Is there anyone that's a legitimate fan that doesn't know what these figures look like, whether you have them or not? Is the different pain job all that great?

I guess the whole turn around videos a just Dan Yun's new thing keep his Twitter activity from getting stale. It didn't work.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, monron999 said:

Are these turn around videos really necessary? Is there anyone that's a legitimate fan that doesn't know what these figures look like, whether you have them or not? Is the different pain job all that great?

I guess the whole turn around videos a just Dan Yun's new thing keep his Twitter activity from getting stale. It didn't work.

Does it bother you that much? He is having fun with the figures while show them off you people who may not have them and want to see what they are like. 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, tarot said:

Does it bother you that much? He is having fun with the figures while show them off you people who may not have them and want to see what they are like. 

Kinda, yeah. That this is what qualifies as news. That they try to drum up excitement with lame stuff like this, clearly left over product that didn't sell, regardless of how popular they claimed they were at the time. They could/should be doing actually exciting stuff, but instead they keep doing stuff like Shang-Chi, Eternals, No Way Home, MOM and Love and Thunder, all waves packed full with bit and boring characters and repeat characters that end up rotting on the pegs. All these waves would have benefited from more comic variety or more interesting BAF's, but they just keep rolling with the same old Disney expectation (cuz it works so well for Star Wars Black) instead of doing stuff that really makes money and improves on the health of the line.

Maybe I'm just the old grumpy guy a lot of people think I am. Maybe I just have a better memory than everyone else about how fun and exciting ML used to be. Maybe I'm just a bigger honk for Comic related product than I tell myself or care to admit. I do like some, even a lot of MCU product, but I'm so exhausted with the repeat and reused and just plain bland product and this is not "fun". And I would be willing to bet the farm that Dan Yun is most likely not having all that much fun trying to perpetrate this kind of stuff as "fun".

On 7/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

What’s really annoying is that there are two of the same mcu M’Bakus and still no comic Man-Ape.

Agree. Not only is he one of the Black Panther's major foes, he also goes up against the Avengers (and that was where he first appeared). Also, but working on him would give the design team some base to build characters like Atlas's Gorilla Man. In fact they have a number of animal based characters that are way over due for a figure.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:03 AM, Atlantis said:

Agree. Not only is he one of the Black Panther's major foes, he also goes up against the Avengers (and that was where he first appeared). Also, but working on him would give the design team some base to build characters like Atlas's Gorilla Man. In fact they have a number of animal based characters that are way over due for a figure.

And they wouldn't even have to call him Man-Ape, as that's the rumor of the major hang up about it. M'Baku already has a presence. Most people know who he is by now they can simply call him "M'Baku (Comic)". It's almost like Hasbro's doing so much MCU product they're suddenly stuck on this dependence for Marvel Studios and Disney to do all the designing and planning for them and they can't think outside the box to get around some of these issues.