Director Jon Watts Exits Marvel's 'Fantastic Four'

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that director Jon Watts has dropped out from helming Fantastic Four, the reinvention of the venerable Marvel Comics series at Marvel Studios and Disney.

Sources are claiming that Watts stepped away from the project because he needs a much-needed break after filming the Spidey trilogy with Tom Holland and Zendaya.  He has spent much of the last decade directing and promoting the Spider-Man films.

Said Kevin Feige, president, of Marvel Studios, and Louis D’Esposito, co-president, of Marvel Studios: “Collaborating with Jon on the Spider-Man films has been a true pleasure. We were looking forward to continuing our work with him to bring the Fantastic Four into the MCU but understand and are supportive of his reasons for stepping away. We are optimistic that we will have the opportunity to work together again at some point down the road.

Watts said that “Making three Spider-Man films was an incredible and life changing experience for me. I’m eternally grateful to have been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for seven years. I’m hopeful we’ll work together again and I can’t wait to see the amazing vision for Fantastic Four brought to life.”

On 4/29/2022 at 5:44 PM, tarot said:

After making three of the greatest Spider-man movie, the man deserves a break. I do hope they get a great director for the F4 as they need a movie that doesn't suck.

Rumor has it that Marvel might try and get Justin Lin since Lin just dropped out of filming Fast X, the next Fast and Furious movie.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, Outsiders said:

Rumor has it that Marvel might try and get Justin Lin since Lin just dropped out of filming Fast X, the next Fast and Furious movie.

I sure hope not. Don't think he would be a good fit for Marvel... I fear it would just be over the top nonsense like Fast and the Furious and Aquaman. 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:43 AM, Psychosomatic said:

I sure hope not. Don't think he would be a good fit for Marvel... I fear it would just be over the top nonsense like Fast and the Furious and Aquaman. 

Aquaman was James Wan though..

I enjoyed some of Justin Lin's Fast and furious movies but didn't like Star Trek Beyond.

Jon Watts was a good choice, but hey if he needs time to chill that's fine, the important thing is they get the right person for the job and take their time with this movie, F4 done right is what the MCU needs. I think the Russo brothers could do a good job directing this, also as someone up above me suggested Peyton Reed, I agree with that, The movie should be brighter, but not too comical. I also still vote on Krasinksi and Blunt to be Reed & Sue, and still think Zac Efron would be a good choice for Johnny.

I'm on board with Peyton Reed. He's got that perfect, fun style that made a relative success from a really iffy character franchise like Ant-Man. As Ant-Man's movie arc wraps up it might be wise to transition him to another franchise and see what he can do with some really big name like the FF. If not, as we saw with James Gunn, I have no doubt Paramount would waste no time snatching him up For a DC project.

And yes, The Suicide Squad was good. It just sadly hit at a time when WB, after a few legit hits, did what WB does and used it's typical antics to sour the well with Bantha Poodah like Wonder Woman '84 and Angry Birds and Harley's Blah Bla Blaah Yadda Yadda and then going that extra step to piss people off even more by declaring the Snyderverse dead and the majority just bowed out to just catch it streaming later. I did. I liked it. Then I bought it.

BTW, it looks like the new bosses might have a different opinion regarding the future of the Snyderverse. Huh, guess there are a few guys over at Paramount that know something about pleasing the consumer to make money. Who knew?! Heard some good things bout that little Yellowstone show they got going on The Paramount Network. Maybe I should check it out.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, monron999 said:

I'm on board with Peyton Reed. He's got that perfect, fun style that made a relative success from a really iffy character franchise like Ant-Man. As Ant-Man's movie arc wraps up it might be wise to transition him to another franchise and see what he can do with some really big name like the FF. If not, as we saw with James Gunn, I have no doubt Paramount would waste no time snatching him up For a DC project.

And yes, The Suicide Squad was good. It just sadly hit at a time when WB, after a few legit hits, did what WB does and used it's typical antics to sour the well with Bantha Poodah like Wonder Woman '84 and Angry Birds and Harley's Blah Bla Blaah Yadda Yadda and then going that extra step to piss people off even more by declaring the Snyderverse dead and the majority just bowed out to just catch it streaming later. I did. I liked it. Then I bought it.

BTW, it looks like the new bosses might have a different opinion regarding the future of the Snyderverse. Huh, guess there are a few guys over at Paramount that know something about pleasing the consumer to make money. Who knew?! Heard some good things bout that little Yellowstone show they got going on The Paramount Network. Maybe I should check it out.

Just a fyi - Please keep it on topic which in this case is not DC movies or Warner Bros. Thx.