New Marvel Legends Haslab Confirmed Likely For 2022

JayC

While it should come as no surprise to anyone, Hasbro's Marvel Legends brand team has confirmed that they will be launching a third Marvel Legends Haslab project likely sometime later this year.

The reason why it should come as no surprise is because the two previous Haslab Marvel Legends projects which includes a Sentinel and Galactus have been some of the most successful Haslab campaigns Hasbro has done to date.

The confirmation came during a new Marvel Comics podcast hosted by Ryan Penagos and Lorraine Cink. On the podcast where Marvel Legends designer Dwight Stall; Ryan Ting, senior manager, global product development of marketing and Jesse Falcon, Director of Product Design Hard Lines for Disney Consumer Products. The main focus of the podcast in regards to Marvel Legends was to talk about it's 20th Anniversary. If you are not familiar with how the line started then there is actually some nice tid-bits of information in this podcast as the guys talk about the 20 year journey from how it started and where the line is today. The Marvel Legends portion begins at the 15:20 mark of the Podcast.

In the podcast they don't give any specifics about what the next Marvel Legends Haslab project will be or when it might launch. Ryan Ting didn't seem to want to 100% commit to the project launching this year. At one point during the podcast he confirms more information will be coming, but then used the words "in all likelyhood" that the information would be coming later this year. So it sounds like possibly not everything is 100% set in stone just yet.

Dwight goes on to mention something about how they have some new "beautiful big thick boys coming our way" and emphasizes the word "thick". While this comment followed right after the talk of Haslab, It wasn't entirely clear to me if Dwight's comment was a reference to what the next Haslab will be or something else. Since he used the word "Boys", that indicates more than one figure. The first figure that came to my mind when they used the word "thick" was a new updated Blob and maybe Mojo which based on rumors should be getting the Deluxe treatment sometime in the near future.

Earlier in the Podcast Dwight also mentioned he would love to get a crack at doing a new updated Fin Fang Foom figure which I believe is the biggest Build-A-Figure that has ever been done in the line. It was a Build-A-Figure that required getting two waves of figures to complete, and even then one might consider it to be a little small for how the character should actually scale with regular 6" figures. So I could easily see Hasbro doing a bigger updated Foom for Haslab.

While I know I DON'T SPEAK for the entire fandom when I say this, I hope they stick to doing big character action figures and not try doing some kind of 6" scale vehicle. Lack of space to display and what would likely be a high price make me far less interested in huge vehicles for this line. Again though that is just my opinion.

Anyway you can listen to the entire Podcast below and feel free what kind of Marvel Legends Haslab you would like to see in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Haslab-2022.jpg

I dunno, its just hard for me to imagine another giant-size character or vehicle that would have the same mass appeal as Sentinel to X-fans or Galactus to marvel comics fans.  I just can't see them succeeding with a 6" scale Quinjet, Fantasticar, or Blackbird.  Character is probably the best bet but I don't think Giant-Man, a Celestial, or Foom will generate that much enthusiasm, either.  Maybe a Danger Room playset? but it would have to come with an awful lot of bells and whistles to make it worthwhile. And let's not forget any haslab project is likely to be at least 20% more expensive than it would've been last year.   

All that said, it could succeed if they keep the expectations reasonable -  i don't think they should expect the same numbers they got on previous marvel labs.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, bashpics99 said:

I dunno, its just hard for me to imagine another giant-size character or vehicle that would have the same mass appeal as Sentinel to X-fans or Galactus to marvel comics fans.  I just can't see them succeeding with a 6" scale Quinjet, Fantasticar, or Blackbird.  Character is probably the best bet but I don't think Giant-Man, a Celestial, or Foom will generate that much enthusiasm, either.  Maybe a Danger Room playset? but it would have to come with an awful lot of bells and whistles to make it worthwhile. And let's not forget any haslab project is likely to be at least 20% more expensive than it would've been last year.   

All that said, it could succeed if they keep the expectations reasonable -  i don't think they should expect the same numbers they got on previous marvel labs.

I agree that perhaps it wouldn't get the same numbers as the previous ones, but I can see some of the ones you mentioned (characters, not vehicles) being successful. 

Honestly, Galactus was about it for me as far as comic Haslabs go, though I may go for a Fin Fang Foom and I probably wouldn't be able to turn down something like Devil Dinosaur. A cosmic scale character like Living Tribunal would be cool, but I wouldn't be able to justify the price for him. I don't see any vehicles that would interest me either for sure.

MCU Haslabs would be another story, though the only vehicle I'd probably go for would be a Vol. 1 Milano with a revamped set of the original 5 Guardians, that would be a dream come true. Other than that, an in-scale Giant Man or Surtur would be cool, though not really necessary. Maybe an Avengers/Endgame Leviathan? MCU Arishem is another option as well, or a full-size Great Protector from Shang-Chi. A massive, fully posable dragon would be freaking sweet.

I think for comic HasLabs, their best bet would be something like a play set (or maybe vehicle) with a full team included that wouldn't be a surefire public release. My first thoughts would be Danger Room with the OG New Mutants in their original costumes, Asteroid M with the Acolytes, Avengers Mansion with some of the less popular 80s and 90s Avengers from when everyone had a leather jacket, a Hell Charger with Robbie Reyes and other supernatural characters, or a Hall of Armor with light effects and Iron Legion. I'd be fine with an MCU HasLab, but mostly because I'd be able to skip it without regret.

At the 37:38 mark he mentions how he became emotional at the unnamed actor's reaction to the job done on their action figure....wonder what he felt, when Salma Hayek called them out for what they did to her action figure lol. I will say though, that a lot of these faces do look good...expressions and what not coming along. 

Also when they mention the figures that required different molds and bucks, they didn't name the Kree Sentry. The wave was kinda weak, true, but that BAF really came out great and doesn't get near enough credit. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:14 PM, MonsterChris said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the story with your sentinel?

So yeah. It arrived with a prominent scratch in the paint on the chest.  I went back and forth with Pulse CS who sent me to Hasbro CS who told me that I could send it back to them for a refund, but an exchange wouldn't be possible. I was told they had QC stock of some of the parts like hands, heads, and the pack-in figures but not entire Sentinel figures in case something was wrong with the body. I eventually chose to keep it and just display it battle damaged only.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Satam said:

So yeah. It arrived with a prominent scratch in the paint on the chest.  I went back and forth with Pulse CS who sent me to Hasbro CS who told me that I could send it back to them for a refund, but an exchange wouldn't be possible. I was told they had QC stock of some of the parts like hands and heads but not entire figures in case something went wrong on the body. I eventually chose to keep it, and just display it battle damaged only.

Wow.  And for $350...  I'm astounded that they didn't have QC stock of the figures proper.  That's terrible!  So sorry to hear it.

IF the Haslab is Mojo...and IF it's the only way to get Spiral and LONGSHOT...I will be getting it. I'll be pissed off as all get out...but I will reluctantly pull the trigger. 🤨🤨🤨

Hopefully this will not be the case and Mojo comes as a deluxe figure with LONGSHOT and Spiral in an X-Men wave. 

On 4/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, MonsterChris said:

Wow.  And for $350...  I'm astounded that they didn't have QC stock of the figures proper.  That's terrible!  So sorry to hear it.

Yeah, I was astounded, too. I was actually pissed off enough that I was ready to send it back, but my wife talked me out of it and convinced me I might regret it later. As crappy as that situation was with the quality control and customer service, I'm glad she talked me out of sending it back.

I didn't order Galactus, but I am VERY interested to see how things are for people once they start getting them.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, Satam said:

So yeah. It arrived with a prominent scratch in the paint on the chest.  I went back and forth with Pulse CS who sent me to Hasbro CS who told me that I could send it back to them for a refund, but an exchange wouldn't be possible. I was told they had QC stock of some of the parts like hands, heads, and the pack-in figures but not entire Sentinel figures in case something was wrong with the body. I eventually chose to keep it and just display it battle damaged only.

That is some straight up bull customer service there. They should have found a way. At the very least if they really don't have a replacement, then at least refund half your money. At the exorbitant price range they're demanding, there should be ZERO issues like this that you should have to deal with. Thats an honest, decent thing they should do. 

I'd think they would try and stay away from anything from the X-men and F4 for a while. They've done something each for them. I'm think either something from Spider-man (Spider-slayer or Leopardon), Avengers (Giant man) or Thor (Frost Giant or as Dwight hinted Mangog).

As for Vehicles or Playset, Dwight while they would like to make them, they know most wouldn't have the shelf space for them.

Eh... honestly F@#$ Hasbro and their HasLab B.S.

They are pricing me out of standard figures so anything above and beyond they can take a leap. I’m finding more and more I’m enjoying this hobby less so I don’t think I’ll be supporting them like I did when this was an affordable hobby

On 4/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, McHogan said:

Eh... honestly F@#$ Hasbro and their HasLab B.S.

They are pricing me out of standard figures so anything above and beyond they can take a leap. I’m finding more and more I’m enjoying this hobby less so I don’t think I’ll be supporting them like I did when this was an affordable hobby

With you there. I didn't think either of those projects justified the price and certainly don't support the hike for the standard figures. Especially when they're not even making them correctly (consistently). That whole "20th anniversary" line-up was really overpriced.

I get it, Hasbro is seeing lines like Mythic Legions and Mezco, etc.,  charge quite a bit for their figures, and they wanna get in on that money. But those are niche companies and frankly, they offer quite a bit for the dollar (they have to work harder lol).  Legends is producing the same figure with a different head (which sometimes doesn't even look like anything before), tossing in some post card and calling it "anniversary", then charging almost double.  Not to mention, taking 12-20 years to make figures collectors want, but doing that one little thing to make them "off". They're just not supporting what the fans want. 

Also hearing about some of the quality control issues with the haslab projects already out (I know some are saying there are fixes to the issue, but if you're paying $400.00...come on...), I just have to say no at this point. Just can't see why a billion dollar outfit like Hasbro needs to have a "kickstarter". 

Still saying the Haslab will be Daily Bugle for Spidey's Anniversary, it fits the direction of the year to a tee, plus what other big huge character do they have that could sell as a Haslab? would a Daily Bugle sell as a Haslab huh..yeah who wouldn't want that? first full playset for Marvel Legends.

So what Haslab figures would I be interested in? Maybe that monster Mole Man was attacking New York with back in the day. Frost giants are always have potential. Maybe a giant firebird Phoenix with some of the Royal Guard? I'd like Lockjaw and some Inhumans but I don't think Lockjaw would qualify for Haslab. Same with Ch'od, though I'd like some Starjamers. We'll see.

I feel like any character they do now is going to be a hard sell. After Sentinels and Galactus, most larger characters are super obscure and sure may have a chunk of people that want them but you have to think of the majority of collectors or enough people to make it successful. The larger characters I can think of wouldnt be big sellers but would be cool to see. Also I dont know how many collectors want playsets and vehicles and would pay that chunk of change to have them. Altho Star Wars fans have shown otherwise so Im sure Im wrong about that. 

• 1 month later...

Feeling like regardless of the offering, it's going to be priced out like all the rest.  $349.99 for a Sentinel?  Yep, perfectly priced, bought two.  $399.99 for Galactus? Hmmmm.  World Eater, never gonna see this again, yep, bought two.  With the price hikes on basic figures and complete lack of consistency in the pricing for singles and two packs (24.99 - 77.99?!), a new Marvel HASLAB will most likely be priced at $549.99.  I can't think of any product offered that would have me shell out that much.  I'm on board with McHogan, "I’m finding more and more I’m enjoying this hobby less so I don’t think I’ll be supporting them like I did when this was an affordable hobby,"  So, what do I do with 700+ figures if I'm losing the drive to keep the collection going?  The positive is that I've save a bunch of money this year due to the price hikes and not being part of it.

Yeah given inflation i expect the next haslab to be more expensive. i'm having a hard time coming up with anything that really feels like a huge number of collectors would commit to. personally i think they should go with something more modest in scope and price, just something that they don't think could fly at retail (even as fan channel) but that fans might be into. i just have no idea what that might be though, playsets and vehicles seem like they would be too big, and there aren't that many more giant characters that i think people would pay that much for.  

but feels like they are obliged to try, just wish they could channel those resources into making more of the classic comic characters we are always clamoring for on this site