Deadpool Not Changing For The MCU

JayC

Deadpool 3 writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick in a recent interview with Den Of Geeks set out to assure fans that the tone set for the character in the first two Deadpool movies under 20th Century Fox would not be changing in the newest movie now that Disney had control.

In the interview the pair of writers who co-wrote the first two Deadpool movies say that Disney has been very supportive with what they are doing in the third film. They are also very happy to have access to the larger world of Marvel characters the MCU provides them.

“It’s an absolute thrill to have the band back together, to have a new backdrop in the MCU with new characters, new villains, that kind of thing. You know, it’s never a marriage we necessarily saw coming—Fox and Disney, that was an external thing [separate] from our storytelling process. But we’re absolutely finding the serendipity and the gold in that situation, or we’re trying to.

They are going to have so much fun with this, I can't wait. But in terms of the vulgarity, I want them to reign it in. Not cos I'm a prude, far from it, but because it becomes the focal point and the obsession to one up it at the detriment to the story. DP 2 was good, but I felt like I was getting too much ryan reynolds as opposed to deadpool. Put a good story above all, then have some fun with it. 

I never thought there was any doubt they would keep Deadpool R rated, since the previous films found such success and that being the rating, they'd be stupid to alter things now, I think the most potentially awesome thing is maybe Deadpool being rated R, might open the doors for more properties to be rated R, Punisher, Ghost Rider just to name two would greatly benefit from an R rating.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, Emnems80 said:

I wonder if future movies like Deadpool will still be released under the 20th Century Fox banner or under Marvel Studios/Disney. It would make sense under Fox, I feel it would help audiences know which movies are more kid friendly (Marvel Studios) and ones that are more adult oriented PG13/R (Fox).

Best get used to saying "20th Century Studios" (and "Searchlight Pictures"). 20th Century Fox no longer exists. "Fox" is just too heavily associated with the broadcasting, sports and "news" companies Disney doesn't own. One of Disney's stated reasons for buying 20th Century Fox was so they'd have an outlet for more adult-oriented films, something they haven't had since they got rid of Miramax and shuttered Touchstone. So yeah, pretty much anything Disney wants to target at adults more than kids/families will be/is being released through 20th Century.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:34 PM, FMonk said:

Best get used to saying "20th Century Studios" (and "Searchlight Pictures"). 20th Century Fox no longer exists. "Fox" is just too heavily associated with the broadcasting, sports and "news" companies Disney doesn't own. One of Disney's stated reasons for buying 20th Century Fox was so they'd have an outlet for more adult-oriented films, something they haven't had since they got rid of Miramax and shuttered Touchstone. So yeah, pretty much anything Disney wants to target at adults more than kids/families will be/is being released through 20th Century.

Wasn't sure about the official name but yeah, thanks for confirming what I thought Disney should do is what they're doing=just using the old Fox studio for the adult targeted movies/shows. I just hadn't seen or read anything official that that's what they are doing.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:59 AM, Faust said:

".... But in terms of the vulgarity, I want them to reign it in. Not cos I'm a prude, far from it, but because it becomes the focal point and the obsession to one up it at the detriment to the story...."

I agree; vulgarity has its place, but its like a condiment to the meal, its not meant to be a meal in and of itself. Overuse can just ruin things (like dropping the F bomb in Picard's first season; it was bizarre, unnecessary,  and frankly immature). We don't need a Tarantino MCU. Certain properties like Deadpool can handle it well. I could see it in an R-rated film; a Punisher or Black Widow vehicle where it could fit.