Jake Schreier To Direct Marvel's 'Thunderbolts' Movie; Eric Pearson To Write

Outsiders

Jake Schreier is set as director of  Marvel Studios’ top-secret Thunderbolts movie with Black Widow scribe Eric Pearson penning the script and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige producing.  No cast is attached to the movie as of now.

Very little is known about the plot of the film except it revolves around a group of supervillains who go on missions for the government.  No characters have been selected for the movie but sources at Marvel say that certain individuals who already are part of the MCU to make sure to keep an opening in their schedules for next summer when it shoots.  Possible characters to star or make an appearance include Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination, US Agent, the Winter Soldier, and General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross.

Source: Deadline

Well, it was in the cards since Civil War. I mean you don't keep Baron Zemo alive this long and not make a T-Bolts movie. Plus, with Ghost trying to redeem herself, it was obvious she was joining, and US Agent and Yelena of course were joining. 

They can't use Ross though. May he rest in peace but If they replace the actor it would be hypocritical since they didn't replace Black Panther. One way to solve it is to use Talbot and make him the Red Hulk instead. 

On 6/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, tarot said:

Well, it was in the cards since Civil War. I mean you don't keep Baron Zemo alive this long and not make a T-Bolts movie. Plus, with Ghost trying to redeem herself, it was obvious she was joining, and US Agent and Yelena of course were joining. 

They can't use Ross though. May he rest in peace but If they replace the actor it would be hypocritical since they didn't replace Black Panther. One way to solve it is to use Talbot and make him the Red Hulk instead. 

I think the choice not to recast Black Panther is a very different thing than recasting William Hurt, but I hear ya.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, Psychosomatic said:

I think the choice not to recast Black Panther is a very different thing than recasting William Hurt, but I hear ya.

Can't see any significant difference. Black Panther and Gen Ross are characters. If the actors portraying them resign, are fired, etc it doesn't mean the character is wiped out. Sean Connery is widely regarded as the best Bond, but if they hadn't hired other actors to play the character, then we would never have gotten all the great films in the franchise that followed his departure.  I think Boseman did a fantastic job and its a shame we didn't get to see him do more, but re-casting is not unheard of; after all they've had 3 big-screen Hulks and noone had a problem with that. Its just bizarre that people are acting like there can't be another actor to fill this role. The Black Panther should be in the MCU, full stop. Not just some supporting cast or stories focused on a city.

That’s a fairly narrow view. Black Panther and Thunderbolt Ross don’t have the same status in the MCU or the MU proper. They’re not JUST “characters”. For one, BP is a headliner. Ross is A supporter. And Chadwick Boseman meant an incredible deal to a ton of people, not the least of which were black communities excited to represented by a major blockbuster character. Your argument that they are comparable is dubious as is supporting statements like ‘no one cared’ that they replaced hulk actors, because some people did have things to say about that. I actually think Boseman SHOULD be replaced because it’s a deprivation to lose the character and I think the actor would want both the story and the representation to continue, but not because of some misplaced idea that the actors are simply interchangeable on these characters.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:07 PM, Atlantis said:

Can't see any significant difference. Black Panther and Gen Ross are characters. If the actors portraying them resign, are fired, etc it doesn't mean the character is wiped out. Sean Connery is widely regarded as the best Bond, but if they hadn't hired other actors to play the character, then we would never have gotten all the great films in the franchise that followed his departure.  I think Boseman did a fantastic job and its a shame we didn't get to see him do more, but re-casting is not unheard of; after all they've had 3 big-screen Hulks and noone had a problem with that. Its just bizarre that people are acting like there can't be another actor to fill this role. The Black Panther should be in the MCU, full stop. Not just some supporting cast or stories focused on a city.

I have no problem with recasting in general if it makes sense (Hulk and 007 are great examples), but I think there are instances where the actor who played the character originally was just so damn good that recasting will likely fail (no one else should ever play Indiana Jones), or it is just poor taste to recast (which I think is what happened here). I don't think anyone was saying no one else COULD play that role, I think they were saying no one else SHOULD. I am with you, I would have liked to see Black Panther continue in the MCU, and think they could have just given time and recast later, but I can appreciate the fact that they honored an actor who led a film that was not just successful, but a cultural phenomenon.  

exactly. No one is saying they can't recast it but why do it for one actor and not for another. I get that Boseman was the main character and all and I wouldn't mind if they had recasted him, but if he is not going to be recast either should Ross. I mean they literally brought back the actor who played Black Bolt from a series that tanked (F you Loeb) to play him again. (yes, yes, I know. Alternate universe Yadda Yadda.)

On 6/9/2022 at 4:26 PM, Audie said:

That’s a fairly narrow view....They’re not JUST “characters”. For one, BP is a headliner. Ross is A supporter. And Chadwick Boseman meant an incredible deal to a ton of people, not the least of which were black communities excited to represented by a major blockbuster character. Your argument that they are comparable is dubious as is supporting statements like ‘no one cared’ that they replaced hulk actors, because some people did have things to say about that. I actually think Boseman SHOULD be replaced because it’s a deprivation to lose the character and I think the actor would want both the story and the representation to continue, but not because of some misplaced idea that the actors are simply interchangeable on these characters.

I'm not saying they have the same status, but facts are facts. Death is the great equalizer. The actors are dead. The characters are not.

And when I said no one cared re: Hulk what I'm saying is, no producer or studio head ever said "there can't be another Hulk after Bana/Norton". 

Because that would have been senseless.

And yes Chadwick did an incredible job, but he isn't the only black actor that ever was, is, or will be. The black and comic community celebrated the BLACK PANTHER coming to the screen. If Chadwick had passed on the role, it certainly wouldn't have meant no one else could do it. Before he was cast, I was hoping Adrian Holmes would have the spot. If you haven't seen him, he had an excellent cop show, 19-2, that he starrred in and I think he would've been perfect for T'Challa (check it out, its really good). I didn't say actors are "simply interchangeable"....THAT is a narrow view of what I said.

But at the end of the day, whether its Zorro, Shaft, Superman, Batman, Black Panther, Bond, Samantha Stevens, Starbuck, Blade or Perry Mason, they're all characters and they can be played by more than one actor.

This could be interesting as for the team, I would go with Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination and US Agent. Bucky wouldn't really fit, now that he has buried the Winter Soldier and would no longer be on a redemption quest. As for Ross, well if it just for the Red Hulk (which seems a bit redundant if they have the Abomination) why not use Robert Maverick.

This definitely has my attention. I'm fan of the team and it's interesting to see how the team will come together for the MCU and which members they'll choose. Although yeah there is the issue with Ross. I don't know, I understand what people are saying and that it would be kinda unfair and hypocritical to recast him and I don't know if these decisions should be made based on the importance of the character (which is how Marvel does it apparently, IF they indeed recast him), but I don't want another character's story coming to an end with no explanation other than a quick reference about it. I'm not saying that Tchalla's off screen demise will be handled lightly, they even said the 2nd movie is a tribute to him, but Ross didn't have the importance of the Black Panther in the MCU, so just a little dialogue about it might be what happens if they don't recast him.  

i'm down with a thunderbolts movie although tbh i think it would better as a series, where you could have some characters gradually reform and others attempt to reform but backslide etc.  Yes you could do that in a 2-hour movie but it would feel rushed, and if you gotta have a redemption arc (which seems inevitable cuz Disney)  would be better to give it time to develop.  Plus you can even have the 1st ep mimic the 1st comic with them all in new costumes and the reveal that they are all villains at the end.  I dunno.  I'm definitely interested though.

Abom feels like a bit of a powerhouse for this team although certainly they seem to be trying to bring the character back into the limelight with appearances in Shang-chi and She-hulk.  But then Emil is a highly trained soldier so i guess he fits in with the rest of the potential team members. 

I’m in the camp that that T’Challa as a character should have continued in the BP franchise. I loved Boseman’s contribution as BP.. but it is pure folly to continue the series without T’Challa. It saddened me when Chadwick passed, not because he played an MCU character but because all signs hinted that he was a good man. But to think that his unfortunate passing means that his interpretation of a character ends and no other black actor can continue to elevate the character is short sighted. 

Honor Chadwick. Give him a nice tribute but let another worthy actor carry on what Chadwick started. No one is saying that another actor can replace Boseman. But another actor could certainly add to the foundation that Boseman laid.

Even if the powers that be decided that T’Challaa should take a back seat to Shuri or MBaku his presence as a character SHOULD remain in the franchise. 

Just my opinion.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:57 AM, McHogan said:

I’m in the camp that that T’Challa as a character should have continued in the BP franchise. I loved Boseman’s contribution as BP.. but it is pure folly to continue the series without T’Challa. It saddened me when Chadwick passed, not because he played an MCU character but because all signs hinted that he was a good man. But to think that his unfortunate passing means that his interpretation of a character ends and no other black actor can continue to elevate the character is short sighted. 

Honor Chadwick. Give him a nice tribute but let another worthy actor carry on what Chadwick started. No one is saying that another actor can replace Boseman. But another actor could certainly add to the foundation that Boseman laid.

Even if the powers that be decided that T’Challaa should take a back seat to Shuri or MBaku his presence as a character SHOULD remain in the franchise. 

Just my opinion.

I agree. And did Disney say they wouldn't recast at all? Or just "at this time?" With the multiverse getting established it could also be a way to recast the character.

Speaking of Red Hulk, I doubt there's any need for him yet, Hulk himself doesn't get enough exposure (due to legal reasons) on his own and we are about to get She-Hulk, Thunderbolts already gonna have Abomination so putting Red Hulk, no matter who it is, on the team would seem like overkill and wasting future story potential right away. Red Hulk could have a really cool movie on its own based on the mystery around Red's true identity where Hulk and She-Hulk try to uncover that mystery. 

On 6/14/2022 at 1:15 AM, SpiderS said:

Speaking of Red Hulk, I doubt there's any need for him yet, Hulk himself doesn't get enough exposure (due to legal reasons) on his own and we are about to get She-Hulk, Thunderbolts already gonna have Abomination so putting Red Hulk, no matter who it is, on the team would seem like overkill and wasting future story potential right away. Red Hulk could have a really cool movie on its own based on the mystery around Red's true identity where Hulk and She-Hulk try to uncover that mystery. 

Yeah, adding Red Hulk to the T-Bolts would just be putting him in for the sake of it, especially if they are going to use Abomination