Wonder Man Coming To The MCU With New Series

JayC

It is being reported by THR that a new live-action series featuring Marvel's Wonder Man is in the works from Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) and Andrew Guest (Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Community). Guest is coming on has the head writer and Cretton will exec produce. Cretton may direct an episode or two which is looking to starting production in 2023.

WonderMan-1.jpg

It will be interesting to see what they do with his origin story, since it's so deeply tied to the Avengers, Tony Stark, the Vision and Ultron. Probably a very revamped origin... they seem to give second and third tier characters abbreviated origins that stray fairly far from the comics for the sake of time and plot. But, that's fine, as long as they give us the spirit of Simon Willaims origin, I'll be happy. And at this point, I'm no longer in the Nathan Fileon, John Hamm or any other actor in their late forties or early fifties camp. If they are bothering to make a show for him, I assume they want to use the property for a number of years, maybe in both TV and movies. Makes no sense to start now with an actor who isn't remotely young-ish, so they can grow with the character down the line.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:46 PM, Jormungand said:

It will be interesting to see what they do with his origin story, since it's so deeply tied to the Avengers, Tony Stark, the Vision and Ultron. Probably a very revamped origin... they seem to give second and third tier characters abbreviated origins that stray fairly far from the comics for the sake of time and plot. But, that's fine, as long as they give us the spirit of Simon Willaims origin, I'll be happy. And at this point, I'm no longer in the Nathan Fileon, John Hamm or any other actor in their late forties or early fifties camp. If they are bothering to make a show for him, I assume they want to use the property for a number of years, maybe in both TV and movies. Makes no sense to start now with an actor who isn't remotely young-ish, so they can grow with the character down the line.

Well I don't know about Vision and Ultron (especially the later) but they could always keep the origin and have him being a business owner that lost his job to Stark. 

My guess is that they will make him a hero that is only looking for fame and uses his powers to be a celebrity, acting in movies etc, which was his basic thing for much of the 80 and 90s. Think Booster Gold.

Ironically I was thinking of the Legends figure in the field jacket....and yeah, they'll put him in the jacket....but there's no torso articulation whatsoever, just waist rotation. Leg movement is nill due to the lower part of the jacket having zero seams. No biceps swivel and no double elbow. Glasses are removable, though....they'll give him Jubilee's. 

Yeah.

So....hard pass.

Like others, I'm curious how they are going to present this character given how the current stage of the MCU. Will Zemo be involved? Are they going to have flashbacks with Stark? HIs story might be a little too close to Whiplash in Iron Man 2. Stark wronged his family. He wants revenge so he powers up. He's an interesting character but I'm assuming they are going to have to change his backstory. They might just jettison the whole Stark competitor thing and make him a Hollywood stuntman. That would really torpedo a lot of the interesting things about the character though.

One idea they could do that wouldn't interfere with the MCU as it is up till now, is doing characters from alt universes to begin with. A Killraven War of the Worlds limited series, starring maybe Zach McGowan, could be incredible. With the added bonus of not clashing with any of the established (or even to be determined) MCU timeline/continuity.