Marvel Legends X-Men Animated Series Mystique Figure From Hasbro Revealed

JayC

• 2 months later...

According to Hasbro, the Marvel Legends X-Men The Animated Series Mystique that was first announced back in June will be made available on HasbroPulse and ShopDisney in Mid-September. They also said they aren't done yet with the VHS X-Men line, so more to come.

Mystique.jpg

Meh....shame they didn't take this opportunity to redo Mystique on the Shreik mold or basically any mold that doesn't use those wobbly, skinny Kate Bishop legs. Seriosly, how hard would it be to simply modify the Shreik bucks legs to fit on the Kate Bishop mold? I've done it several time with a Dremel and some epoxy. It's not that hard. If they could just do that they would get so much less backlash when they use that KB buck and they would have more than one "standard" female buck to use. It's not a bad buck, the whole problem is quite literally just in the legs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 4:52 AM, Mrdipset said:

Does anyone know if they said what time it she will go up on disneyshop?

No, 1pm ET is often the stated pre-order time but with someplace like ShopDisney its more likely whenever they feel like putting it up. Honestly despite them saying Monday at D23, being Hasbro said it wouldn't be up on Pulse until Tuesday I wouldn't be shocked it it doesnt go up until Tues on the Disney website as well.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:41 AM, Mochan said:

It's weird that Hasbro now only use two female body: Shriek and Bishop, if unfortunately. I want a new female mold that replaces the Captain Marvel one!! 

Its nothing less than bizarre, the choices they make. Especially in light of the fact that they have better molds to choose from. 

On 9/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, Mochan said:

It's weird that Hasbro now only use two female body: Shriek and Bishop, if unfortunately. I want a new female mold that replaces the Captain Marvel one!! 

It's better than having just the one female body mold

On 9/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, Mochan said:

To be honest, I'm a little tired of seeing the same shriek body on those recent female figures. Maybe Hasbro knew about my greedy thought and returned me with Madama Hydra and the animated Mystique.🥵

I'm quickly becoming tired of it too, but aside from movie product Hasbro is not all that keen about making new bucks to have on hand to represent a number of different characters. The truth is the Shriek buck is a vast improvement on the Bishop buck, and to be honest, 90 percent of the problem with the Bishop buck is in the legs. Fix that and it would be a decent mold for thinner female figures. But I'm 100 percent in agreement with you that it is absolutely ridiculous that female figures basically get one of two options at this point. The Medusa mold was fixed when they did the Scarlet Witch in the Family Matters pack, yet they don't use it anymore. The Psylocke mold looked good, but needed some work on those hip gaps, but it's no longer in use. And we all know, or at least think we know, what's the deal with them not not using the Moonstone mold but for very special occasions, but that's really not an option anymore. At this point, especially with comic related product, Hasbro's just mailing it in.

At this point, our options are to continue to voice disdain over this AND to stop buying these figures. Customer feedback/pushback is the only thing that will get them to listen. That's a good thing.  It took them awhile, but they finally got Wolverine to a shorter size and put scales on Captain America's upper torso.

I want to buy the female characters, I do. But I'm not gonna spend money on inferior work, especially deliberate sloppiness.  Right now I've cut back overall, and really have skipped the female figs; even if they get my to-do list (Mantis, Moondragon, Misty Knight, Valkyrie, Thundra, Namorita, Namora, Nightshade & re-do's for the Black Widow and Viper) I have little confidence they'll be done correctly.

Hopefully they will listen and improve; it will be in the end win-win for them. Because if they make accurate female figures, we'll definitely buy them! I mean come on....who doesn't want a Spiral or Anaconda in their collection? Just imagine how cool a Goblin Queen would be, or an accurate Black Widow, Storm, Emma Frost, Siryn?  And they really have been doing a great job on the faces (for the most part)!

On 9/13/2022 at 11:17 PM, monron999 said:

I'm quickly becoming tired of it too, but aside from movie product Hasbro is not all that keen about making new bucks to have on hand to represent a number of different characters. The truth is the Shriek buck is a vast improvement on the Bishop buck, and to be honest, 90 percent of the problem with the Bishop buck is in the legs. Fix that and it would be a decent mold for thinner female figures. But I'm 100 percent in agreement with you that it is absolutely ridiculous that female figures basically get one of two options at this point. The Medusa mold was fixed when they did the Scarlet Witch in the Family Matters pack, yet they don't use it anymore. The Psylocke mold looked good, but needed some work on those hip gaps, but it's no longer in use. And we all know, or at least think we know, what's the deal with them not not using the Moonstone mold but for very special occasions, but that's really not an option anymore. At this point, especially with comic related product, Hasbro's just mailing it in.

Totally agreed with you. To fix those hips like they do with Sunfire body on Falcon, or with the Bucky body on AOA Cyclops is a must, if Hasbro is still going to reuse those molds.

Besides, is Medusa mold fixed in the Family Matters pack? It feels like the same.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, Mochan said:

Totally agreed with you. To fix those hips like they do with Sunfire body on Falcon, or with the Bucky body on AOA Cyclops is a must, if Hasbro is still going to reuse those molds.

Besides, is Medusa mold fixed in the Family Matters pack? It feels like the same.

The Medusa mold was a weird situation. It has a long, slender torso, which is applicable to many of the female characters, especially Scarlet Witch, but it also had very long legs, and they used stiletto heels feet to boot. The first SW figure from the Odin wave looked very good, but even the ML team admitted that she was way too tall, even for someone wearing heels and basically conceded the mold was too tall altogether. When they did the FM 3 pack they both shortened the lower legs and got rid of the heels for a much more scale accurate SW. Apparently there was a time when the ML team cared about proper scale and did things to actually correct them, but it must have been a short lived concern, cuz it ain't no more. IMO, at that time, making just those minor changes, they had made a perfect slender female mold, because they could have actually opted to keep the heels or use heels on a future figure and it still wouldn't have been too tall. They could have even modified the upper body and bust and smoothed out the costume edges and made a really good standard female mold, but they just dropped it, literally never used it again. I might not be a hundred percent certain of that, but if they have used it since it's been very sparse. Either way, with some fairly easy changes to this mold and and the Psylocke mold and if they changed the legs on the Bishop mold they could easily have a decent stable of "standard" female bucks, but it just seems like no one on the ML team seems all that concerned about improving on product. I mean we all know the movie product is their main concern, so it's most likely they're just throwing a buncha scraps together to keep the comic fandom satiated, fully knowing we'll probably buy just about anything comic related.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, monron999 said:

if they changed the legs on the Bishop mold they could easily have a decent stable of "standard" female bucks, but it just seems like no one on the ML team seems all

They have changed the legs (and arms) on the KB torso. That’s what the new Silk and Spinneret figures are, I thought.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

They have changed the legs (and arms) on the KB torso. That’s what the new Silk and Spinneret figures are, I thought.

And you may be right there, I'm not sure. I haven't received my Spinneret figure yet, but I do have my Silk, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. Assuming a state trooper hasn't swapped it out I will unbox it tonight to inspect. Nothing I've seen from the media picks signals to me that it is a modified Bishop buck, but that would be a good sign. As a matter of fact, I've been scrutinizing the pics of the new Dazzler from the forthcoming Mojo Set and I'm really confused. Early images showed it to clearly be the Bishop buck, but the updated pics seem to show the figure with thicker and sturdier looking legs, particularly in the thighs area. Maybe this is a similar thing with these two figures. If so that would be the smartest thing Hasbro's done in a while. One can only hope. I'll keep you posted once I open.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:16 PM, monron999 said:

The Medusa mold was a weird situation. It has a long, slender torso, which is applicable to many of the female characters, especially Scarlet Witch, but it also had very long legs, and they used stiletto heels feet to boot. The first SW figure from the Odin wave looked very good, but even the ML team admitted that she was way too tall, even for someone wearing heels and basically conceded the mold was too tall altogether. When they did the FM 3 pack they both shortened the lower legs and got rid of the heels for a much more scale accurate SW. Apparently there was a time when the ML team cared about proper scale and did things to actually correct them, but it must have been a short lived concern, cuz it ain't no more. IMO, at that time, making just those minor changes, they had made a perfect slender female mold, because they could have actually opted to keep the heels or use heels on a future figure and it still wouldn't have been too tall. They could have even modified the upper body and bust and smoothed out the costume edges and made a really good standard female mold, but they just dropped it, literally never used it again. I might not be a hundred percent certain of that, but if they have used it since it's been very sparse. Either way, with some fairly easy changes to this mold and and the Psylocke mold and if they changed the legs on the Bishop mold they could easily have a decent stable of "standard" female bucks, but it just seems like no one on the ML team seems all that concerned about improving on product. I mean we all know the movie product is their main concern, so it's most likely they're just throwing a buncha scraps together to keep the comic fandom satiated, fully knowing we'll probably buy just about anything comic related.

Thank you for the explanation. The Medusa mold seems still be applicable to some taller female characters like Emma or Psylocke. Hasbro could indeed use the same mold to achieve scale differences by simply setting the heels height or the head. They are basically the same height and size, just the SW one being more curve, Bishop flat and strong, and Shriek mold is someone in between. They all could be the standard one I think, everyone has their preferences. One small question is that Medusa's abdominals may not suit for most characters, maybe that's why Hasbro using more Moonstone mold than her.  Articulation is still the most needed improvement, I think.

Actually we all know when it comes to retro card or VHS box, whatever in those packages will sell well, even a trash.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, Mochan said:

".... The Medusa mold seems still be applicable to some taller female characters like Emma or Psylocke. Hasbro could indeed use the same mold to achieve scale differences by simply setting the heels height or the head. They are basically the same height and size, just the SW one being more curve, Bishop flat and strong, and Shriek mold is someone in between..."

"...Articulation is still the most needed improvement, I think."

By now, they should have varying standard sizes for the female molds as they do for the males. Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thor all have different molds; they're not interchangeable. They represent 3 distinctly different characters and the team has no problem seeing that. But when it comes to females they can't seem to get it. For example The Black Widow's body (prime top adult female fighter) is not like Kate Bishop's (skilled teenager),  so they shouldnt be on the same buck when it comes to action figures. The female figs need to have as much articulation as the males, and the Legends team really needs to pay attention to scale, so that the females don't all look like underfed preteens compared to the males. XesRay Studio's Combatants female figures are an example of how it can be done.

On 9/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, Atlantis said:

By now, they should have varying standard sizes for the female molds as they do for the males. Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thor all have different molds; they're not interchangeable. They represent 3 distinctly different characters and the team has no problem seeing that. But when it comes to females they can't seem to get it. For example The Black Widow's body (prime top adult female fighter) is not like Kate Bishop's (skilled teenager),  so they shouldnt be on the same buck when it comes to action figures. The female figs need to have as much articulation as the males, and the Legends team really needs to pay attention to scale, so that the females don't all look like underfed preteens compared to the males. XesRay Studio's Combatants female figures are an example of how it can be done.

Yaaaaas! But in the comics, those female fighters are usually portrayed like preteens. The situation also varies in different artists' work, some draw the difference while others do not. XesRay Studio's female figs indeed have more mature body even though the articulation isn't improved much. And maybe not everyone like the style they sculpting those body. Yes, Hasbro's female fig molds need to be more various. It's hard to believe when I saw Mafex using a different body on Earth-616 Magneto.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 12:48 AM, Mochan said:

"Yaaaaas! But in the comics, those female fighters are usually portrayed like preteens. The situation also varies in different artists' work, some draw the difference while others do not. XesRay Studio's female figs indeed have more mature body even though the articulation isn't improved much..." 

Oh I would never say that Black Widow, Mantis, Moondragon, Misty Knight, Valkyrie or Thundra are usually portrayed like preteens. To be sure, John Romita Sr. wouldn't draw them like, say, Deodato would, but still, those aint preteens  lol. Overall, anyone who wanted Mystique now has another chance to get her; I just wish it was a figure worthy of the character.