Marvel Legends Rumor Report - What Can We Expect For Early 2023

JayC

While we aren't quit done with Marvel Legends in 2022, I am starting to see early indications for what we can expect to see in the first part of 2023. Now nothing I am about to share with you here should be terribly surprising, and at this time I don't have any info to share about specific figures. Also with shipping delays and movie dates still shuffling around, its hard to know how much of this will change.

So for instance in second half of 2022, at least initially I can tell you that there was a wave slated for Black Panther containing Wakanda Forever movie figures along with some comic based ones. There was also going to be a Spider-Man wave for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse movie. However now that Sony has moved the Spider-Man movie to a June 2023 release, I don't know how that will impact the release of the figures. Besides those two waves there are still a few more Spider-Man 60th Anniversary figures and Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Retro Cardback figures yet to be confirmed by Hasbro that should be coming, and then who knows how many more store specific exclusives or HasbroPulse X-Men Animated Series figures might still be in the works. I am expecting the next Marvel Legends reveal to be for another one of those Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Retro Cardback figures which I believe will happen next week.

Anyway the focus for today is a glimpse at what we should expect in early 2023. Again nothing I am about to tell you here should be terribly surprising, but it looks like things will be starting off with another all comic book based wave. I don't know the specific theme yet, which means I don't know if it will focus on Spider-Man or Avengers. In the past it seems like Hasbro always liked to start the year off with Spider-Man, but again I don't have any specifics about this wave at this time to know for sure.

There will also be another X-Men themed wave and a Disney+ wave. Finally for movie themed waves we can expect a Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 wave and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania wave. I don't yet know if these movie waves will have a mix of movie and comic figures or be all movie based. I suspect a mix, but again that is only a guess at this time.

I am sure there will be more things coming, but as I mentioned above, details for 2023 are only now just starting to come into focus.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:34 AM, JayC said:

but it looks like things will be starting off with another all comic book based wave. I don't know the specific theme yet, which means I don't know if it will focus on Spider-Man or Avengers.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's third Spider-Man retro wave, considering wave 2 came out at the beginning of this year. It'd probably be too soon for an all-comic Avengers wave with the Controller wave barely now hitting the market.

I'm biasedly crossing my fingers for the Iron Man retro wave, though.

2023 is the 60th anniversary of the X-Men and the Avengers. Maybe each IP will get a BAF wave celebrating this? I can easily see a 60th anniversary X wave featuring favorites like Banshee, Avalanche, Deathbird, Spiral and Feral. I would hope a 60th anniversary Avengers wave would be all classic, since there are still so many missing classic Avengers and villains - 1st appearance Wasp, Safari Jacket Wonder Man, Mantis, Yellowjacket update, 1st appearance Monica Rambeau, Sersi, Crystal, Swordsman, Jack of Hearts, classic Falcon, Moondragon, Stingray, Firebird, Starfox, classic Mockingbird, Count Nefaria, Graviton, M'Baku, Skurge, Moonstone, Titania, Blackout, classic Nebula, Morgan Le Fay, Collector, Grandmaster, Korvac, Super-Adaptoid and many, many others...

i mean at this point every year is probably the anniversary of a dozen different comic beginnings/famous storylines/marvel movies, so i think its tricky to predict what anniversary theme they might choose.

I wonder if they will try and continue with the 20th line or retro lines once they eliminate plastic from packaging, seems like a lot of the appeal would be gone. 

That said, i do expect hasbro to revisit some of the older toybiz figures they haven't redone already, feels like we've moved past the 90s and now the aughts are hitting their prime, in terms of nostalgia.  i could be wrong

Mainly just looking forward to getting more characters that fall into my primary collecting focus area, namely comics characters from 60s thru mid 80s.  However, i anticipate the number of "new" characters that fall into that group will continue to diminish each year, and also that more and more of them will be either exclusives or part of 2-pack, 3-pack, etc.  Hopefully more cosmic characters as well, from any era.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, Beamish said:

2023 is the 60th anniversary of the X-Men and the Avengers. Maybe each IP will get a BAF wave celebrating this? I can easily see a 60th anniversary X wave featuring favorites like Banshee, Avalanche, Deathbird, Spiral and Feral. I would hope a 60th anniversary Avengers wave would be all classic, since there are still so many missing classic Avengers and villains - 1st appearance Wasp, Safari Jacket Wonder Man, Mantis, Yellowjacket update, 1st appearance Monica Rambeau, Sersi, Crystal, Swordsman, Jack of Hearts, classic Falcon, Moondragon, Stingray, Firebird, Starfox, classic Mockingbird, Count Nefaria, Graviton, M'Baku, Skurge, Moonstone, Titania, Blackout, classic Nebula, Morgan Le Fay, Collector, Grandmaster, Korvac, Super-Adaptoid ad many, many others...

I am so in agreement, Beam-Dog. Lets not forget the Warriors 3, and Balder the Brave(original look). If they dont get him this time, Gabriel(Air Walker). Also the original Xmen in their first unique costumes(we have Cyke and Jean). Mainly thinking yellow Angel and red/blue beast.

I will be very surprised if we don't get a redo of the Toys R Us boxed set of the Original X-Men next year for their anniversary (That would be a MASSIVE miss on Hasbro's part).  And there are still a good number of classic 60's and 70's characters that need to be done or re-done (Power Man, Iron Fist, Sabretooth, Drax, Gamora, Nebula, Ronan, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Valkyrie, Blade). And we still need a classic Beta Ray Bill.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, ADour said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's third Spider-Man retro wave, considering wave 2 came out at the beginning of this year. It'd probably be too soon for an all-comic Avengers wave with the Controller wave barely now hitting the market.

I'm biasedly crossing my fingers for the Iron Man retro wave, though.

Yeah I have to agree that a third Retro Spidey wave seems likely now that they had to push by the Spider-verse wave. Doubt they would be able to make a BAF that fast.

I really hope we get a single pack MCU Mantis figure for Vol.3, kinda hard to find a complete BAF right now...

2023 will also be the 20th anniversary of that Daredevil movie I had to defend for years because I thought that was the only Daredevil we'd ever get, maybe we'll get a new version of that figure! (I actually still have the original for sentimental reasons)

I'm also really hoping for a LOT more X-Men waves, especially an update of that "First Class" boxed set they did as a TrU exclusive a few years ago.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, Venom1975 said:

I need classic Daredevil, Powerman and Iron Fist

I'm down for this. Classic DD on the new Vulcan buck. Powerman on the Herc buck. Iron Fist on anything but the Pizza Spidey buck. Psst........Hasbro, this is one time where the Sunfire buck would be appropriate. There's a lot of street level heroes that need some love. We know Echo will be getting an MCU figure eventually, but what about a comic version now? Nomad? Duggan? Solo? There are so many classic villains that thay can tie in to anniversary lines too. I'm just tired of all the same MCU characters over and over again.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:13 AM, ADour said:

I'm so down for a third Spider-Man retro wave, they've absolutely killed it with the last two waves, with the exception of Hobgoblin, still not sure why that release was so bad.

Adam Warlock’s 50th anniversary was this year so since the ML guys love their anniversaries, I was hoping he would show up. But a while back when Ryan teased that the next Walgreen’s exclusive was more of an anti-hero, I keep thinking that it very well could be him.

Speaking of 50th anniversaries, HOWARD THE DUCK’s is next year so let’s goooo! 🙂.  
Also Blade. Loved that 90s figure when I was a kid so would love to see him hit today’s Spidey retro card.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, Beamish said:

2023 is the 60th anniversary of the X-Men and the Avengers. Maybe each IP will get a BAF wave celebrating this? I can easily see a 60th anniversary X wave featuring favorites like Banshee, Avalanche, Deathbird, Spiral and Feral. I would hope a 60th anniversary Avengers wave would be all classic, since there are still so many missing classic Avengers and villains - 1st appearance Wasp, Safari Jacket Wonder Man, Mantis, Yellowjacket update, 1st appearance Monica Rambeau, Sersi, Crystal, Swordsman, Jack of Hearts, classic Falcon, Moondragon, Stingray, Firebird, Starfox, classic Mockingbird, Count Nefaria, Graviton, M'Baku, Skurge, Moonstone, Titania, Blackout, classic Nebula, Morgan Le Fay, Collector, Grandmaster, Korvac, Super-Adaptoid and many, many others...

Yes, all that!  
FA Iron Man update would be cool and for sure FA Wasp since it’s their 60th as well.  
Also will be the 50th for Moondragon, Starfox, Mantis and Drax

On 6/19/2022 at 1:50 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Speaking of 50th anniversaries, HOWARD THE DUCK’s is next year so let’s goooo! 🙂.  
Also Blade. Loved that 90s figure when I was a kid so would love to see him hit today’s Spidey retro card.

We've needed a new Howard in Legends for years. It's kind of hard to believe Hasbro hasn't made a figure of him yet.
With Blade, I assume you mean the "Vampire Wars" figure and not the main figure from the movie line.

I would say that my hopes were for a Ghost Rider retro carded wave for 2023, but if we won't be seeing windowed packaging after this year, I guess that's likely not happening, I can't see them doing Retro packaging without windows since that defeats the whole retro thing, but maybe they will keep the Retro waves as exceptions with window packaging, I can't imagine they'd want to get rid of the Retro wave stuff especially Spider-Man since it sells so well.

I hope 2023 is the year we see a new Marvel Monsters set of figures, and the start of building Generation X, and finally Marrina for AF...thanks.

Last weekend I reported to you that starting things off in 2023 for Marvel Legends should be some type of all comic book based wave. While I still can't tell you any of the specific figures in the wave or even if it will be a Spider-Man or Avengers themed wave, I can share with you the CODE NAMES given by Hasbro for the seven figures that will be in this wave. They are as follows:

- Molecule
- Bomb
- Belle
- Won
- Cop
- Antonio
- Optics

I also told you there would be a Guardians of the Galaxy 3 themed wave coming in 2023 which is a no-brainer. I still don't know any specific figures or whether this will be a mix of comic and movie, but I can now also tell you that it looks like there will be a $45 priced GOTG 3 Deluxe figure coming as well.