MAFEX Comic Based Scarlet Spider Figure Revealed

JayC

On 6/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, Emnems80 said:

Does this mean we'll get a Legends rerelease soon? 😂

LOL, no connection but we've already gotten a Legends one.  From these images though I love how the soft-goods hoodie looks on the figure.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, McHogan said:

Has Scarlet Spidey ever worn the hood up? Or was the Spider Logo off center  like this? Admittedly not a huge fan of this look but both these issues are hitting my eyes wrong

He sometimes wore the hood up in Peter David's modern run of the character, like MODADDYDODOK pointed out, when he was living in Las Vegas. It's in this run that his emblem was also smaller and to the left:

3362c645f7cb8fffbeb011cf873bf6bb.jpg

On 6/23/2022 at 11:40 AM, JayC said:

LOL, no connection but we've already gotten a Legends one.  From these images though I love how the soft-goods hoodie looks on the figure.

Never a connection but it seems like when one company releases a figure another does their version soon after. Jokingly hope this is the case again because I never got my hands on either releases of Legends Scarlet Spider.

• 1 year later...

Whoooooo! That is a mighty heafty price tag even by today's prices. I bet just a picture of it costs at least $25. And I thought SHF prices were outrageous but at least their stuff comes with more accessories than this thing. I can't even begin to guess what the justification for that price is. Maybe cheap, thin, felt like polyester is going at a premium these day. Luckily I've never been compelled to purchase a MAFEX and this sure doesn't do anything to persuade me otherwise. If that's your thing good on you. I'll stick with my Poor Woman's ML version and my homemade weblines. Wow.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:24 PM, AndyL said:

Whoooooo! That is a mighty heafty price tag even by today's prices. I bet just a picture of it costs at least $25. And I thought SHF prices were outrageous but at least their stuff comes with more accessories than this thing. I can't even begin to guess what the justification for that price is. Maybe cheap, thin, felt like polyester is going at a premium these day. Luckily I've never been compelled to purchase a MAFEX and this sure doesn't do anything to persuade me otherwise. If that's your thing good on you. I'll stick with my Poor Woman's ML version and my homemade weblines. Wow.

I don't think there's really a price gap between MAFEX and Figuarts.

Figuarts' Raimi Spider-Man costs 95 dollars, and it comes with 10 extra hands, 2 extra heads, 1 extra neck, 1 resting mask, and 3 weblines (1 long for web-slinging, 2 medium for web-shooting and 2 short for web-shooting).

MAFEX's Scarlet Spider costs 105 dollars, and comes with 10 extra hands (two of them magnetic), 2 extra magnetic feet, 2 extra heads, 9 weblines (2 long for web-slinging, 2 medium for web-shooting, 2 short for web-shooting and 3 long with curly tails for some spaghetti webbing action) and a base.

So that's 10 more dollars but 2 more feet, 6 more weblines and a base. I know that an argument can be made for the extra sculpt work in the Raimi figure, but for a similar comparison, MAFEX's upcoming No Way Home Upgraded Suit Spider-Man figure also costs 105 dollars and has a similar array of accessories.

Additionally, Figuarts' prices also fluctuate between releases. Their Final Battle Integrated Suit Spider-Man that pairs with their Raimi Spider-Man figure costs 100 dollars, their upcoming Webb Spider-Man costs 80 dollars, and their upcoming Across the Spider-Verse Spider-Man 2099 costs 135 dollars.

It's also worth pointing out that the prices we're discussing here are BBTS prices, since their markup for imports is fairly hefty.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:01 PM, ADour said:

I don't think there's really a price gap between MAFEX and Figuarts.

Figuarts' Raimi Spider-Man costs 95 dollars, and it comes with 10 extra hands, 2 extra heads, 1 extra neck, 1 resting mask, and 3 weblines (1 long for web-slinging, 2 medium for web-shooting and 2 short for web-shooting).

MAFEX's Scarlet Spider costs 105 dollars, and comes with 10 extra hands (two of them magnetic), 2 extra magnetic feet, 2 extra heads, 9 weblines (2 long for web-slinging, 2 medium for web-shooting, 2 short for web-shooting and 3 long with curly tails for some spaghetti webbing action) and a base.

So that's 10 more dollars but 2 more feet, 6 more weblines and a base. I know that an argument can be made for the extra sculpt work in the Raimi figure, but for a similar comparison, MAFEX's upcoming No Way Home Upgraded Suit Spider-Man figure also costs 105 dollars and has a similar array of accessories.

Additionally, Figuarts' prices also fluctuate between releases. Their Final Battle Integrated Suit Spider-Man that pairs with their Raimi Spider-Man figure costs 100 dollars, their upcoming Webb Spider-Man costs 80 dollars, and their upcoming Across the Spider-Verse Spider-Man 2099 costs 135 dollars.

It's also worth pointing out that the prices we're discussing here are BBTS prices, since their markup for imports is fairly hefty.

Fair enough. But they're both ridiculously overpriced. I was talking more in general of how IMO the MAFEX figures seem to look a lot more rudimentary in general looks. Even compared to ML sometimes. Especially in this case. Just look at the thigh definition and the goofy ankle joints. Just pulling up the pictures of ML's version vs. this one it's hard to believe that particular one costs almost 5 times what the other one does. Even on that older mold the ML one looks way better. And this one is smaller and I promise it's much more brittle. Also from certain overseas vendors SHF products are actually much less pricey if you want to find them. I've found no similar avenues for MAFEX. Either side of the street I just can't fathom what these guys charge for these things. Especially considering they all use the same basic manufacturing processes that ML uses. Like I say if it's your thing it's your thing. Given what is available to us and how it looks to me as a collector this thing is just excess and I think it will only appeal to the Soft Goods crowd and if that's the case why not just wait for the One:12 Collective version. Or have they already done that? Coincidentally the One:12 Collective similar to the SHF you can find them much cheaper from certain overseas vendors.

On 7/5/2023 at 7:09 PM, AndyL said:

Fair enough. But they're both ridiculously overpriced. I was talking more in general of how IMO the MAFEX figures seem to look a lot more rudimentary in general looks. Even compared to ML sometimes. Especially in this case. Just look at the thigh definition and the goofy ankle joints. Just pulling up the pictures of ML's version vs. this one it's hard to believe that particular one costs almost 5 times what the other one does. Even on that older mold the ML one looks way better. And this one is smaller and I promise it's much more brittle. Also from certain overseas vendors SHF products are actually much less pricey if you want to find them. I've found no similar avenues for MAFEX. Either side of the street I just can't fathom what these guys charge for these things. Especially considering they all use the same basic manufacturing processes that ML uses. Like I say if it's your thing it's your thing. Given what is available to us and how it looks to me as a collector this thing is just excess and I think it will only appeal to the Soft Goods crowd and if that's the case why not just wait for the One:12 Collective version. Or have they already done that? Coincidentally the One:12 Collective similar to the SHF you can find them much cheaper from certain overseas vendors.

The place where I do my MAFEX shopping has the Scarlet Spider for 75 bucks. I'd feel weird name-dropping them in this thread since BTTS is a site sponsor, but it exists.

That being said, I agree that imports in general can seem overvalued, especially with Marvel Legends stepping up to the plate in terms of overall quality (even with the accompanying price increases). Funnily enough, the one thing I don't like about this figure is the softs-good hoodie. I never liked how soft goods look on action figures. However, ML could take a few notes on the amount of accessories imports offer.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, ADour said:

The place where I do my MAFEX shopping has the Scarlet Spider for 75 bucks. I'd feel weird name-dropping them in this thread since BTTS is a site sponsor, but it exists.

Lol. That's kind of why I didn't name my sources. I'm not sir how that would go down. Things seem a lot stricter now than they used to be when I was on here years ago.