Worst costumes in superhero movies

Hogun

What are in your opinion, some of the worst costume designs in a superhero movie? Now, I am going to ignore the 2000 X-Men film and its use of black spandex because it was at a time where superheroes wearing their comic accurate costume was unheard of and a pipe dream.

1. Eternals, it is no secret that the Eternals had terrible costumes. You can easily tell that the reason why Hasbro was able to pump out all 10 Eternals in one go is because when it comes down to it, it is just a bunch of dudes in robes with different geometric shapes and colors. They work as initial costumes for when they come down to earth. But as they learn about earth culture. It would have been easy to see them incorporate earth culture into their new modern suits. Why could we not have received comic accurate costumes in a franchise that is supposed to give us comic accurate costumes? I especially hate Kingo's design. While it would not have made sense to make his costume look like a samurai in the comics, given he is played by Pakistani actor Kumail Nanjiani. They could have easily given us a costume based on Indian Rajput armor and it would have still demonstrated his sword fighting abilities. Gilgamesh wearing a face mask was the coolest aspect of his comic design as it conveys this sense of mystery to him as the Forgotten One. The movie eschews that for a big beefy dude in a gross combination of green and yellow. There is also Makkari's visor which makes sense, given she runs a lot and the visor  would protect her eyes and it just screams speedster. I am rambling too much. Next!

2. Fantastic Four reboot. Nani, Superheroes wearing all black costumes in 2015? Yep, extremely bland. It makes the characters feel like in-name only versions of the Fantastic Four. This is not like Fox did not know how to design comic accurate Fantastic Four suits. The Tim Story duology had great costumes. I rank this one lower than the Eternals because while the color scheme is all black. At least their suits tell the audience about each members' powers. Also, what is up with the Thing being buck ass naked and lacking genitals? Did the trip to planet zero castrate him?

3. Deadpool, and I mean the 2009 X-Men origins: Wolverine version. Where do I even begin with this design. He has no mouth. He is shirtless and the red markings on his face look wrong as hell. I know the guy in charge of Fox at the time hates Deadpool and he was the one who ordered his mouth to be sewn shut. But to what extent? He is making that movie for money. No one whpo went to see the movie in theaters were there to see Deadpool, the merc with no mouth.

4. X-Men Apocalypse: every costume barring Psylocke. They are one dimensional. The lore behind the method of obtainment of these flight suits is dumb, they stole them from Stryker's base, and the fact that it makes them look ore like a mono chromatic army is dumb as hell. As for the horsemen, Magneto is wearing an edgier version of his outfit, same for Storm and Archangel is not blue like in the comics. Why add a significant character into the movie when you are not going to adapt his iconic storyline that involves the movie's main villain. Apocalypse looks like he came from a Power Ranger show instead of the comic book beefy dude with a commanding presence.

5. Black Panther: the new suits. I have mixed bags about the new suits used by T'Challa and Killmonger in the final battle. Why could we not have gotten mercenary Killmonger in the final version? While the new Black Panther suit has what looks to be a bra and a mouth, something the Civil War version laced and looked cool. It makes up for it in powers, Granting T'Challa the ability to redirect kinetic energy. But the cat mouth on the mask really bugs me.

Obviously there are more out there. These are just the ones that came from the top of my head. Feel free to let me know what live-action movie costume you hate.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, Hogun said:

4. X-Men Apocalypse: every costume barring Psylocke. They are one dimensional. The lore behind the method of obtainment of these flight suits is dumb, they stole them from Stryker's base, and the fact that it makes them look ore like a mono chromatic army is dumb as hell. As for the horsemen, Magneto is wearing an edgier version of his outfit, same for Storm and Archangel is not blue like in the comics.

Oh yeah, Psylocke costume was the best thing about this movie and the only reason we got it was the Olivia Munn herself, she deserves a second chance at this role just for the love of source material. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, Hogun said:

5. Black Panther: the new suits. I have mixed bags about the new suits used by T'Challa and Killmonger in the final battle. Why could we not have gotten mercenary Killmonger in the final version? While the new Black Panther suit has what looks to be a bra and a mouth, something the Civil War version laced and looked cool. It makes up for it in powers, Granting T'Challa the ability to redirect kinetic energy. But the cat mouth on the mask really bugs me.

Civil War Black Panther costume was simply amazing, updating it was unnecessary, especially to a clearly inferior design, the main reason why first costume was better is due to it being an actual physical costume for the most part while new costume was way more CGI and mostly very raw and unfinished CGI. 

I would say hands down the worst costume in a super hero movie must go to Wolverine Origins Deadpool, it was awful, it wasn't even remotely deadpool, I also think I really disliked Hawkeye's age of ultron outfit, that weird jacket just looked no bueno and awkward.

Fun topic. Maybe follow this one up with our choices for best costumes.

also, I notice the topic just says worst costumes in superhero movies. Are we sticking with just Marvel or can I lambast that horrible Justice League Flash costume as well? 

Before I give my choices I want to say I agree with what people are saying about the stupid decision Fox went with for Deadpool. No mouth, no elements of what makes Deadpool recognizable. I mean, if you were not going to give fans Deadpool, then just use an original creation in that spot.

for my first choice i present Sony’s Venom. Another baffling studio choice to remove any semblance of who the character is. The lightning pattern , I guess is what that is on his upper torso is just a poor substitute for the iconic spider. They could have made that spider-like without too much effort. 

Next is the Rhino from Amazing Spider-Man 2. You know what, just throw Electro & The Green Goblin from this film in there too. Sony just doesn’t get it. Marvel used the same actor as the same character  ( Electro) and made him 1000% cooler. Just little things like his classic mask forming when he uses his powers. 

can I list Galactus from FF2?

Ok this is cheating as I actually like Nic Cage’s Ghost Rider but how GR looked in Spirit of Vengeance was soooo much better than the first film. Something about the clean white skull always bugged me. In the 2nd film its grey and charred.... dirty.  More like what I imagined Ghost Rider would look. Terrible film though...

On 6/27/2022 at 11:27 PM, McHogan said:

Are we sticking with just Marvel or can I lambast that horrible Justice League Flash costume as well?

Let's keep it Marvel considering the board we're all on here. If somebody wants to start this same topic in the General Discussion section on the ToyNewsI boards for non-marvel heroes, go right ahead.

On 6/27/2022 at 3:24 AM, SpiderS said:

Oh yeah, Psylocke costume was the best thing about this movie and the only reason we got it was the Olivia Munn herself, she deserves a second chance at this role just for the love of source material. 

Sad if it did happen it would be too late since she's already in her early 40s. She's beautiful and all but I would have preferred a full blooded Japanese actress for the part.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:05 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I would say hands down the worst costume in a super hero movie must go to Wolverine Origins Deadpool, it was awful, it wasn't even remotely deadpool, I also think I really disliked Hawkeye's age of ultron outfit, that weird jacket just looked no bueno and awkward.

It was nothing like Deadpool and it wasn't just the look. I agree it was one of the worst looks I've ever seen in a marvel movie. Personally I never liked Bucky's costume in Civil War, it was very boring and that collar looked weird, but it's not the worst marvel movie costume. If I'd have to choose the worst, 2003 Daredevil and Rhino from TASM 2 come to mind immediately. But if Galactus from F4 2 counts then yeah, that's the worst.