Jump to content

Emma Roberts Is The Latest To Join Madame Web For Sony


Outsiders
 Share

Recommended Posts

Emma Roberts has joined the ensemble cast for Sony Pictures’ Madame Web starring Dakota Johnson.  Roberts' role is currently unknown but she joins Sydney Sweeney, Celeste O’Connor, Isabela Merced, and Tahar Rahim.

The project is being directed by S.J. Clarkson from a screenplay by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless  The previous draft was written by Kerem Sanga.

In the comics, Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life-support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains. For that reason, sources have stressed it’s possible the project could turn into something else. Insiders say that due to her psychic sensory powers, she is essentially Sony’s version of Doctor Strange.

Source: Deadline

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has the stench of failure  Eternals had all over it. Madame Web is best as a supporting character.

And if they really wanted to do this right, then step out of the box and go with someone that's actually closer to her age (the original, anyway). Make a stand for older actors! I'd get Cate Blanchett-sure, she's not in her 60s-70s the way the comic book is, but they could use ageing make-up for her "current day" scenes and her real life look for flashbacks and what not. And they'd need someone with her clout to carry this off, 'cause I don't see this having a ghost of chance of success otherwise.

Theyre clearly desperate to try to make their 4th stringers work, and Its really a bad idea. Just scrap it altogether....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2022 at 2:10 AM, leokearon said:

With the amount of ladies being cast, If starting to think that Sony are going to make this a Spider-verse Birds of Prey

I did not see that till you just pointed it out, but.....yeah. Thanks for putting that in my head, cuz we all know how FREAKIN' AMAZIN' that one was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 11:10 PM, leokearon said:

With the amount of ladies being cast, If starting to think that Sony are going to make this a Spider-verse Birds of Prey

That was a cinematic masterpiece. I laughed, I cried, I really got in touch with my emotional feelings and it was an eye opener into humanity itself. No wonder it swept the Oscars and the Grammys and the Superbowl and the Century 21 2021 awards...

I really don't like slamming a movie before anyone has even set foot on the studio lot. But everything they're (Sony)  doing up to this point screams that aside from Spider-Man, they've scraped the bottom of the barrel and don't know what else to do. I don't get the feeling they really know or respect what they have; they got a property that they thought would just print money, and are struggling to understand, that they're still gonna need to know how to write these stories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, Atlantis said:

That was a cinematic masterpiece. I laughed, I cried, I really got in touch with my emotional feelings and it was an eye opener into humanity itself. No wonder it swept the Oscars and the Grammys and the Superbowl and the Century 21 2021 awards...

I really don't like slamming a movie before anyone has even set foot on the studio lot. But everything they're(Sony)  doing up to this point screams that aside from Spider-Man, they've scraped the bottom of the barrel and don't know what else to do. I don't get the feeling they really know or respect what they have; they got a property that they thought would just print money and are struggling to understand, they're still gonna need to know how to write these stories. 

Yeah it is hard to have faith in a movie when their track record hasn't been that good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will preface this by stating I just watched Morbius last night and while it is a flawed film, it was not the train wreck most say it is. Though I do agree neither end credit scene makes any sense.

But..... I’ve said before and will say again: Sony needs to incorporate Spidey in some way into these bizarre choices for film projects. I mean, what do Venom, Morbius, Madame Web, Kraven etc all have in common? Spidey. Without him, these films will be pet projects at best, or comic films with almost no connection to the source material at worst. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only exposure to Madame Web was in the issue of Spidey where Juggernaut goes after her. I believe she also showed up on the animated series but I didn't see that episode.  I wouldn't say no to a figure of her but there are SOOOOO many characters I want first. Tarantula comes to mind. Inhumans, Starjammers,  Imperial Guard....AUNT MAY?? 

I can see her getting deluxe treatment to make her chair but would anyone buy it but me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow they are really stacking up the lady talent here for this movie, I really don't know what to think about all of this, Madame Web still is a shocker to even know is being made into a movie, what direction is this going to go, maybe Emma is going to be a live action I dunno Mary Jane as Spinnerett or Julia Carpenter, it could work, maybe this movie is just going to be a Spider-Women movie, Madame web senses a disturbance in the multiverse from some threat and assembles a team of Spider-People (or ladies), Sydney Sweeney as Spider-Gwen, Celeste O'Connor as Ashley Barton, Isabela Merced as Anya Corozon, Emma Roberts as Mary Jane or Julia Carpenter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 5:22 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Wow they are really stacking up the lady talent here for this movie, I really don't know what to think about all of this, Madame Web still is a shocker to even know is being made into a movie, what direction is this going to go, maybe Emma is going to be a live action I dunno Mary Jane as Spinnerett or Julia Carpenter, it could work, maybe this movie is just going to be a Spider-Women movie, Madame web senses a disturbance in the multiverse from some threat and assembles a team of Spider-People (or ladies), Sydney Sweeney as Spider-Gwen, Celeste O'Connor as Ashley Barton, Isabela Merced as Anya Corozon, Emma Roberts as Mary Jane or Julia Carpenter.

That's what I'm thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 12:22 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Wow they are really stacking up the lady talent here for this movie, I really don't know what to think about all of this, Madame Web still is a shocker to even know is being made into a movie, what direction is this going to go, maybe Emma is going to be a live action I dunno Mary Jane as Spinnerett or Julia Carpenter, it could work, maybe this movie is just going to be a Spider-Women movie, Madame web senses a disturbance in the multiverse from some threat and assembles a team of Spider-People (or ladies), Sydney Sweeney as Spider-Gwen, Celeste O'Connor as Ashley Barton, Isabela Merced as Anya Corozon, Emma Roberts as Mary Jane or Julia Carpenter.

Really is the best we can hope for. 

Watch, Sony being Sony will make this film the one that sticks closest to its source material. Who WOULDNT want to see a film about an elderly, blind, wheelchair ( Spider-chair??) bound woman with tenuous ties to one of the most popular comic characters ever?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2022 at 4:25 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

My only exposure to Madame Web was in the issue of Spidey where Juggernaut goes after her. I believe she also showed up on the animated series but I didn't see that episode.  I wouldn't say no to a figure of her but there are SOOOOO many characters I want first. Tarantula comes to mind. Inhumans, Starjammers,  Imperial Guard....AUNT MAY?? 

I can see her getting deluxe treatment to make her chair but would anyone buy it but me?

Yeah that's a tough call.....should she be made into a figure? Sure, I can see that. But I don't see how one would make the figure without the chair, and I don't see that being made in anything less than a deluxe (which would cost more than a BAF and I'm not sure a BAF would work here).  I think is something only the hardest of hard core Spider-Man fans would be into. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, Atlantis said:

Yeah that's a tough call.....should she be made into a figure? Sure, I can see that. But I don't see how one would make the figure without the chair, and I don't see that being made in anything less than a deluxe (which would cost more than a BAF and I'm not sure a BAF would work here).  I think is something only the hardest of hard core Spider-Man fans would be into. 

I could see her chair being done like the Falcon and Vulture's wings as a Build an Accessory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE