Has The MCU Found It's New Wolverine In Taron Egerton?!?

JayC

In a recent interview with the NYTimes, actor Taron Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service, Rocketman) stated that he has met with Kevin Feige and other Marvel executives in regards to taking on the role of the X-Men's Wolverine/Logan in the MCU. He also told the NYTimes that he would be excited and apprehensive about taking on the role since Hugh Jackman is so heavily associated with that role and that it would be very hard for someone else to do it.

Wolverine.jpg

This is probably not the first time you hear this, but I'd love to see Tom Hardy as wolverine, he'd be my pick. Unfortunately he's Venom now and getting just a little too old, considering they would probably want him to appear in multiple films for the next decade or so. But yeah, it would have been great to see him as Logan, I believe he would do a solid job.

Wasn't keen on the idea when the rumor started catching steam about a year ago. Much like @leokearon I was doubtful about what kind of Wolverine Elton John would make but after watching him in Kingsman he's kind of a badass and between Rocket Man and Eddie the Eagle he's shown to be an exceptional actor. He's a bit on the short side and he's got the square jaw thing going, plus he has shown to be able to get pretty ripped and grow some fairly formidable sideburns. Add to that that he's still young enough to carry the character at least 10 years in the MCU (instead of the 17 in the Foxverse) and I'm really warming up to the idea. I guess though it's ultimately up to him whether he wants to commit to some kind of long term contract with Disney and then constantly be compared to Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I think he can pull it off.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, Atlantis said:

With the idea of someone else stepping into the Wolverine role, despite having Jackman fulfill it (incredibly well) since 2000, being accepted hopefully studios will come to realize that T'Challa, the Black Panther, must also be recast. 

Not the same thing. Jackman was part of a separate franchise not the MCU. T'Challa was part of the MCU. Also will you please stop bringing that topic up? They have made their decision and ain't changing so stop talking about it. 

I don't like him in this role, he's too boyish for Wolverine. he's a more edgy bad boy version of Tom Holland. Wolverine needs to be a man not a boy. And I'm sure most of this is his and his agent's own doing, nowhere does it say he was approached but rather that he met them and execs and Feige meet a lot of actors. 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, SpiderS said:

I don't like him in this role, he's too boyish for Wolverine. he's a more edgy bad boy version of Tom Holland. Wolverine needs to be a man not a boy. And I'm sure most of this is his and his agent's own doing, nowhere does it say he was approached but rather that he met them and execs and Feige meet a lot of actors. 

I also don't know how I feel about the idea that he could be our new Wolverine. I don't know, Im not excited with this possible casting... and like you're saying he's too boyish for the role. But this isn't finalized, we'll see what happens. For now I'm not very confident he should be Wolverine. 

On 7/4/2022 at 11:33 PM, JohnF said:

I also don't know how I feel about the idea that he could be our new Wolverine. I don't know, Im not excited with this possible casting... and like you're saying he's too boyish for the role. But this isn't finalized, we'll see what happens. For now I'm not very confident he should be Wolverine. 

I'm at very least sure we going to see Hugh in one big Crossover Marvel movie before we get a new Wolverine. 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, SpiderS said:

I'm at very least sure we going to see Hugh in one big Crossover Marvel movie before we get a new Wolverine. 

That sounds wonderful. I really hope it happens. Feels like it could very well be in Deadpool 3, though that's not exactly a big crossover movie.  

On 7/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, tarot said:

Not the same thing. Jackman was part of a separate franchise not the MCU. T'Challa was part of the MCU. Also will you please stop bringing that topic up? They have made their decision and ain't changing so stop talking about it. 

Whether or not its MCU, Sony, MGM, Warner Bros. studios have often re-cast roles, all the way from supporting characters to main stars. They've xhanged on a number of issues. Wasn't James Gunn fired from directing in the MCU ? And then they (disney) brought him back. How do you know they wont change their decision?  I don't think its fair that you feel I should "stop talking about it" when I see plenty of commenters here doing the same on this, and a wide variety of topics. Egerton might do just fine as Wolverine. They may go with someone else. And they could do the same with any other character/actor. 

On 7/4/2022 at 11:09 PM, Atlantis said:

Whether or not its MCU, Sony, MGM, Warner Bros. studios have often re-cast roles, all the way from supporting characters to main stars. They've xhanged on a number of issues. Wasn't James Gunn fired from directing in the MCU ? And then they (disney) brought him back. How do you know they wont change their decision?  I don't think its fair that you feel I should "stop talking about it" when I see plenty of commenters here doing the same on this, and a wide variety of topics. Egerton might do just fine as Wolverine. They may go with someone else. And they could do the same with any other character/actor. 

Sure, but, Black Panther 2 has been filmed already. It feels unlikely to me they’ll just not mention T’Challa in that movie, so—best case scenario for you—his family believes him dead and turns out to be wrong.

You know what Marvel Studios like? Surprises. You know what they don't like? Actors talking about things and ruining said surprises. Guaranteed they'd have wanted to announce something like that at a con.  I'm not against him for the role but he'll probably be told pretty quick to shut up about things if he wants the job. 

I don't know if off the bat I love this choice (or rumoured choice), He does fit the bill in terms of height and him being a younger actor who can carry the role for a long time, he is a good actor and has already proven himself in tons of action roles, I just don't know if I feel like he looks grizzly enough, he has young eyes, Wolverine always seemed beaten and broken and weathered, I always felt like Charlie Hunnam could make a decent Wolverine despite him not being the best actor, he has the dishevelled look I'd imagine for Logan.

I always liked this pic someone mocked up for Charlie as Wolverine

spacer.png

all in all its about what they do with the actor and the portrayal in the end, so I don't care who it is, as long as its done right.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:09 PM, Atlantis said:

I don't think its fair that you feel I should "stop talking about it" when I see plenty of commenters here doing the same on this, and a wide variety of topics.

This isn't a Black Panther thread. You bringing that up is somewhat random and it's off topic (you just used the Wolverine casting as an opening to post about T'Challa). Your post is quite a bit more off topic than comments from other members in this thread. Whether you agree with that assessment or not, a moderator asked you to drop the subject. Now two are doing so. Please keep the discussion focused on Taron Egerton and Wolverine and leave the Black Panther stuff for more relevant threads. You won't be asked a third time.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:01 AM, Hordak Rules said:

You know what Marvel Studios like? Surprises. You know what they don't like? Actors talking about things and ruining said surprises. Guaranteed they'd have wanted to announce something like that at a con.  I'm not against him for the role but he'll probably be told pretty quick to shut up about things if he wants the job. 

He hasn't said he is Logan, he said that he's been talking to Feige and co. about being Logan. Nothing has been confirmed.

I really enjoyed Rocket Man, thought he was absolutely fantastic as a young Elton John, and I also really liked the Kingsman films too. That being said....him as Wolverine? 🤔 I don't know. He certainly wouldn't be the worst choice, but....ehhh, yeah, I don't know man. He's got too much of a babyface to be Wolverine, imo, and the thought of him with Wolverine hair is making me snicker (I know, it's a silly hairdo regardless, but like Hugh...the right performer could pull it off). Right now I'm glad it's just "talks." 

Jackman is a fan of Edgerton (they worked together) and Jackman is tight with Feige, so I am sure this was not a simple casual meeting. Also, for those thinking Taron doesn’t look right for the part, neither did Jackman! He was about 8 inches too tall, and he wasn’t jacked for the first movie either. You probably wouldn’t have approved of an over 6 foot tall Musical Theater actor for the role back then either, and we all know he did an excellent job. Point being, I don’t think Feige would consider anyone who wouldn’t be able to pull it off, so why not just put a little faith in Feige and see how this all plays out.