Marvel Legends 2022 Haslab Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

On 9/16/2022 at 7:15 PM, memocromatico said:

350 is way too much, the tiers better be incredible if it's ever gonna justify the price. I mean, it's been said before, but the Sentinel looked like a better addition and it wasn't this expensive, was it?

it wasn't but given the inflation it would be about 450 if released today.

Oh No, I don't like this sir, not 350, for what I presume is the most devilish trick Hasbro is going to pull on us, making this the vessel for a Mephisto, locking him behind a paywall of 350+ , I just don't think Robbie and his Car are Haslab material, I just don't think this screams 350, especially for someone like me in Canada where Hasbro Pulse doesn't support us in any way this would by estimate cost a Canadian 465 + likely 79 in Shipping , I'm sorry that's not worth it for us here in over 500 dollars, I also don't want to be that person who laughs at the fact they think a unpowered robbie is a real exctiting gift as an early bird special.

I'm really kinda boiling about this, because I feel like surely mephisto and probably black heart are coming in this Haslab and Hasbro knows how much the people want those, this seems like a big ol plot, but let's see those tiers..are you going to force my hand Hasbro to pay way to much for something not worth it, simply because you are actually secretly know everyone needs a certain figure or two?

On 9/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, Reno said:

I used to be in the camp that thought a Disney-licensed product would never release a toy of a devil/demon character like Mephisto....but then they let Hasbro do Surtur... and McFarlane just did Sabbac for Warner Brothers owned DC that won't even allow guns to be sold with their figures.... so I think that argument has been put to bed.

That was really never a valid argument. A lot of people asked for it, didn't receive it, and just jumped to conclusions that disney/marvel/hasbro would never allow it. But there was never any proof behind the notion. Like you said, its good they put out Surtur, to quell this. Of course, it sure would help if Hasbro would directly address these issues head on, but the more they stay silent, the more this or that camp believes their opinion is fact. However bear in mind that Marvel has a lot more "demonic" looking characters than Mephisto (who's just a red guy with wild hair), and there was no problem releasing them. Also dont forget, they just released Dr. Doom with a ripped out spinal column accessory  lol. 

On 9/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

"Oh No, I don't like this sir, not 350, for what I presume is the most devilish trick Hasbro is going to pull on us, making this the vessel for a Mephisto, locking him behind a paywall of 350+ , I just don't think Robbie and his Car are Haslab material..."

"...especially for someone like me in Canada where Hasbro Pulse doesn't support us in any way this would by estimate cost a Canadian 465 + likely 79 in Shipping , I'm sorry that's not worth it for us here in over 500 dollars, I also don't want to be that person who laughs at the fact they think a unpowered robbie is a real exctiting gift as an early bird special...."

"I'm really kinda boiling about this..."

Great points!

I hear you....like I said earlier, if they put this at $200.00 they would've hit their mark now, because that's just a lot more reasonable (they'll probably hit it though).

But the notion of withholding the Mephisto figure, like this....its like hostage taking. Its not the way to get customers on your side, and is really unnecessary. So my only advice is, don't give in, don't pay it. Hopefully down the road they'll re-release him at a much more saner price. Of course we don't know for sure he's gonna be a tier....after all a lot of us thought Firelord would be for Galactus.

And look how that turned out....

This is a very cool reveal. The detail inside the car is great, really well done. 

Im in the camp of those surprised by the price tag. I’ve said since they Sentinel, who blew their projections out of the water, that if us fans didn’t temper our fervor for these things that the price would continue to climb. Galactus, yup, more expensive. Ok GR isn’t more expensive unless we’re talking price v what were getting. 

Ill probably give in and back this unless the de-powered Robbie isn’t reached. My biggest con for this is how to display this car in a Avengers team shot? Thing is too big for my detolf it appears

On 9/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, Atlantis said:

Great points!

I hear you....like I said earlier, if they put this at $200.00 they would've hit their mark now, because that's just a lot more reasonable (they'll probably hit it though).

But the notion of withholding the Mephisto figure, like this....its like hostage taking. Its not the way to get customers on your side, and is really unnecessary. So my only advice is, don't give in, don't pay it. Hopefully down the road they'll re-release him at a much more saner price. Of course we don't know for sure he's gonna be a tier....after all a lot of us thought Firelord would be for Galactus.

And look how that turned out....

That’s what I’m hoping — doubtful but maybe, just *maaaaybe* that Mephisto glance was possibly a tease for the GR wave or something outside of this project 🤞🏻..that may or may not show at Pulsecon

The only way this could sell is if it included Danny Ketch Ghost Rider on bike from the get-go, and as a tier Carter Slade on the horse and Mephisto and Blackheart, then yeah you can say this is worth it.  Reye's is cool and one of the better redos of character but Ghost Rider himself is too niche of a character to sell well on his own for 350.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:37 PM, SpiderS said:

The only way this could sell is ...

Well, no even half day and almost hits the 3k backers, so for sure it will get the target (yeah I think is very expensive, it cost like 14 regular figures). Lets see what are the unlockable tiers, maybe we will be surprised.

Not really feeling this one for $350. The Car interior looks great and it is great you can depower it, but the lack of a paint job on the exterior hurts it. It just looks like Flat black plastic. The  early shipping incentive isn't really a great one, since I feel it should have been included with the vehicle from the start and couldn't it have been not with some interchangeable parts, rather than another figure. The rumoured tier rewards aren't enticing either. I have the Toy Biz Blackheart and Mephisto is my least favourite Marvel Character of all time, so why would I pay $350 to get him.

Summing up my thoughts here on the latest Haslab.

I'm in the camp that I don't care enough about Robbie Reyes to pay $350 for this. If or when Mephisto and Blackheart get announced as tier items and if they get unlocked then I will re-evaluate.

As for the price itself. Not to shocking when you look at the GIJoe Classified HISS Tank which was $300. That was a property Hasbro owns so no additional licensing costs. The $350 doesnt account for just the 1 figure and car, its for everything. The tiers items arent free, the expense for those are worked into the overall project. I know they make it sound like the stretch goals are "Free" extra stuff but thats marketing.
So assuming everything is included your looking at paying $350 for at a minimum of 4 Marvel Legends figures (Maybe more). If the two stretch goals are Mephisto and Blackheart those are going to be larger more deluxe like figures. So Robbie as Ghost Rider, Robbie as human, Deluxe Mephisto and Deluxe Blackheart, plus a 6" scale muscle car with alternate parts to be a regular car or one on fire along with LED lights.

So when you look at the big picture the $350 price based on today's market prices is not outrageous. Again I can understand if the character isn't exciting enough to want to pay that much but that's different than trying to convince yourself Hasbro is trying to rip you off.

For those saying Hasbro can release a figure like Mephisto at regular retail, I think your crazy. I don't see Hasbro's corporate heads green lighting such a figure. This is the same company that seemingly will no longer release Cobra Commander with a hood, something they themselves created. Hasbro is a publicly traded company that by the vast majority of the public is viewed as making products for kids. All it would take is some major publication posting a headline saying something like Hasbro makes action figure of the Devil for your kids to buy to set shareholders in a tizzy. Is that stupid? Sure, but doesn't change the reality of the world we live in today. So no I don't think Hasbro is lying when they say this is the only way they could get the greenlight to do the character. Sutur while similar is an Asgadian being, not the Devil. Mephisto for all intents and purposes was created as the Marvel Universe devil who rules over hell.

McFarlane which isn't a publicly traded company would def be more likely willing to do a character like Mephisto, of course McFarlane can't even include guns with their DC figures thanks to the WB corporate mentality, so there you go.

If all you want is Mephisto and have no interest in Ghost Rider and his car then I wouldn't advocate you back this though you could probably sell the car and Ghost Rider and make some of that money back or just wait and buy Mephisto on the secondary market. While you will likely have to pay over $100 for him that way its still cheaper than $350. You can also try and seek out the Marvel Select Mephisto which is a solid figure that works well with ML. Again your likely gonna have to pay over $100 for it but that's still cheaper than $350.

For those who say Hasbro is crazy for this, well this campaign is less than 24hrs old and already has over 3k backers. Will it sell as well as Galactus and Sentinel? I doubt it, but its gonna sell. You can waste time and energy getting mad at those that are perfectly willing to pay $350 for this but its not going to change anything. If you don't like it, can't afford it or whatever reason you have for not backing it then DON'T, no one is gonna think less of you if you don't. But (and this isn't towards anyone in particular just those in general in this hobby who seemingly try and scream bloody murder every time Hasbro launches these Haslabs) except the fact there are those who are perfectly fine getting these things and move on.

Yes I think it'll hit the 9000 backer target, at least.  i think between whatever number of  ghost rider die-hard fans are out there and those buying while planning to resell some/all components (either as a way of getting a few characters they want without the whole set, or as an "investment") will put it over the top. I will be curious to see what the tiers will be and whether they will be unlocked.  $350 feels like  a lot to spend on a car and a few figures compared to what you were getting with Sentinel and Galactus, personally i have no interest.   but then its hard for me to imagine another $350 project that would appeal to me.  

if mephisto turns out to be disappointing or frankly if any of the tiers turn out to be let-downs, feels like that could tank the whole project. But will definitely be following along to see what they are. 

also feels like there should be more chrome/shininess with the car. 

While I have no doubt this will get funded (particularly since they haven't allowed other countries to back it beyond the ones that have Pulse, which will boast the numbers greatly), I'm not seeing Civvie Robbie getting done, not the way the numbers are going. I do think it will get all 3/4 tiers getting made.

Remember, during the Galactus backing, it didn't get funded until 2/3 weeks from the deadline and the last 2 weeks got a massive push to become the best one since Haslab started. I predict it will be the same for this, especially when they reveal the tiers.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:43 AM, JayC said:

Just get the Muscle Car from Spinmaster for The Batman movie if you want something cheap.

We dont want something cheap, we just dont want something unnecessary. You will take the car from the box then you will locate it in a shelve 5 feet from the floor surrounded by other 200 toys ... U know when you will see the detailed interior or turn on the lights? NEVER

I only have pressed my Sentinel button five times in a whole year. This Robbie with Car was worth the same as the Mojo pack at the most. 

Hmm, I was fairly set on not getting this for the usual reasons - where to display it properly, the amount of shelf space a big rectangle takes up, and of course the price. But after seeing the final product, I am very impressed. The Dodge Charger car itself is very nicely designed, invoking the MOPAR's of old. The interior is far more impressive than I would have expected, the trunk opens, you can convert it from normal charger to various stages of a hell charger firing up, and the fire and smoke effects for the engine, tires and exhaust exceed anything I would have imagined Hasbro would do. Given the greatest jump in inflation since 1979, I can't even fault them for the price tag at this point. They do need to make a profit on this limited number item after all. R&D, retooling assembly lines and custom molds for a car, all this takes time and money.  So I guess I will wait to see what the tiers turn out to be and be excited another Haslab has been offered to us, in the meantime.

I dunno. Kind of a dick move on Hasbro's part if this is the only way we're ever gonna get a Mephisto. Whereas it would be the tier reward that would tip the scale in deciding whether to back the Engine of Vengeance project for me, I just have to think what a slap to the face it is to those people that have spent their disposable income to support the line but just can't budget that $350 comfortably into their expenditures. It makes me think back to when I was younger and I had trouble working the original ML into my monthly, and that was at $8.

The notion that Hasbro's would never do or Disney would never allow a Mephisto (or even Blackheart) into mass production is one that i both agree and disagree with. Personally I don't see it hitting the shelves of stores like Walmart or Target, but I could see them doing it as an online etailer store as they've done in the past and possibly at a premium price point (perhaps with a throne or as a 2 pack) that just puts it outta range of most child collectors. This is a questionable practice to be sure but it's clear Hasbro's intends on this being a factor in driving sales just by the way the set up that parting shot.

I'm about 99 percent sure I will eventually get in on this thing in the end but I'm still gonna watch and see, just in case they do something really stupid to make me withhold my support at the last minute.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, JayC said:

Just get the Muscle Car from Spinmaster for The Batman movie if you want something cheap.

I considered it and watched videos checking it out but it was TOO big and the lack of functioning doors turned me off.

I dont care about Robbie, mephisto, or black heart so this campaign really wasnt for me. I was just interested, in general, for vehicles in Marvel legends and GI Joe classified scale.