Marvel Legends 2022 Haslab Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

On 9/17/2022 at 7:11 AM, JayC said:
.For those saying Hasbro can release a figure like Mephisto at regular retail, I think your crazy. I don't see Hasbro's corporate heads green lighting such a figure. This is the same company that seemingly will no longer release Cobra Commander with a hood, something they themselves created. Hasbro is a publicly traded company that by the vast majority of the public is viewed as making products for kids. All it would take is some major publication posting a headline saying something like Hasbro makes action figure of the Devil for your kids to buy to set shareholders in a tizzy. Is that stupid? Sure, but doesn't change the reality of the world we live in today. So no I don't think Hasbro is lying when they say this is the only way they could get the greenlight to do the character. Sutur while similar is an Asgadian being, not the Devil. Mephisto for all intents and purposes was created as the Marvel Universe devil who rules over hell.

What you're saying does make sense on it's own, but the problem I have with Hasbro's logic is that they were ok with making a wide-released character who's a Nazi? A guy who's literal bio on Marvel's own site right now says that he was trained by Hitler himself?? Speaking only for myself, I've never personally had any dealings with a Supernatural being who wanted me to do bad things in order that my soul spend an eternity in torment in his lair. As a man of colour however, what I can say is that I've had to deal with racism both subtle and violent since I was 6 years old. Been chased by skinheads, harassed by police for no good reason that I could tell, profiled in stores and restaurants and so forth. But no....a fictional character who embodies the worst and most savage form of that behavior and ideology...that's totally ok! Totally fine. But a fictional being who's based on a Supernatural monster that no one can flatly prove exists...Bad!! Bad, bad, bad!! 

Whether they're lying or just plain knee-jerk clueless, I obviously can't say, but whatever the case their argument is weak and doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Yes, this doesn't change anything and they're going to do what they're going to do, but I can at least call BS on it, and refuse to be baited by this cheap tactic they love using so much. 

Yeah, I never bought the whole Hasbro can't release Mephisto because he looks like the devil. They have already released figures like Surtur who  also look like portrayals of Satin. Also he isn't even the Devil, he just looks a bit like him, so you can't use that excuse either. Also if they are afraid (which they have never actually stated), they they could just release Mephisto in one of his other forms like Buff LIzard Man

On 9/17/2022 at 4:50 PM, Air-Walker said:

What you're saying does make sense on it's own, but the problem I have with Hasbro's logic is that they were ok with making a wide-released character who's a Nazi? A guy who's literal bio on Marvel's own site right now says that he was trained by Hitler himself?? Speaking only for myself, I've never personally had any dealings with a Supernatural being who wanted me to do bad things in order that my soul spend an eternity in torment in his lair. As a man of colour however, what I can say is that I've had to deal with racism both subtle and violent since I was 6 years old. Been chased by skinheads, harassed by police for no good reason that I could tell, profiled in stores and restaurants and so forth. But no....a fictional character who embodies the worst and most savage form of that behavior and ideology...that's totally ok! Totally fine. But a fictional being who's based on a Supernatural monster that no one can flatly prove exists...Bad!! Bad, bad, bad!! 

Whether they're lying or just plain knee-jerk clueless, I obviously can't say, but whatever the case their argument is weak and doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Yes, this doesn't change anything and they're going to do what they're going to do, but I can at least call BS on it, and refuse to be baited by this cheap tactic they love using so much. 

Well put!

I can't buy that excuse either, because look at all the other "devil" type figures they've sold. Blackheart, Red Goblin, Surtur....and the whole "but Surtur's just an asgardian" doesnt hold up either, because the average person doesn't know or care about that. 

Mephisto had an appearance on an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon show- no one had a problem then. So why now? Its as if people are "galloping pell-mell" back to the ignorance of the dark ages. 

Another point is the notion that some exec is afraid of bad press- and the only people who would possibly complain about this character, are people who dont know who he is, probably never read a Marvel comic, never bought a Marvel comic, never bought and will never buy a Marvel Legend. They're more concerned about people who don't buy their stuff than they are about the fans who DO? The fans that GOT them where they are. 

Anyway, for those who want the figure, I sure hope they'll release him in a way that's not attached to the haslab. And maybe we'll finally get the Warriors Three. And a corrected Vision. And some Golden Age figures. And Red Wolf....

it sounds like they know this haslab might not fly but it was the best offering they could come up with. which i'm pretty much in agreement with although you debate stuff like the Fantasticar, Blackbird or a Danger Room.

as for mephistos, well whether hasbro had ever considered a  retail release is pretty much no longer relevant, now its all about artificial scarcity.  If you want Mephistos, eIther pay a steep price on the aftermarket or buy the haslab and become an aftermarket seller yourself.  that's classic hasbro for you!  And if you're expecting a re-release, look to classic Colossus, Vision, 80s Cyclops, Dark Phoenix, etc that all have yet to see a re-release.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, Air-Walker said:

And yet not even Toy Biz did Mephisto. DST released him once back in 2006 which was before the era of social media  and it only went to comic and specialty shops which has never been re-issued. Red Skull probably wasn't super easy for them to release and there is a reason why you don't see any Nazi symbolism on him but IMO people who might not like a figure such as Skull get released doesn't compare to the craziness one likely would have to deal with when hardcore religious people get involved.

Obviously none of us can say for sure and if you choose to want to believe Hasbro is lying knock yourself out, I however don't and I don't think we will see Mephisto released any other way. That being said, if you have absolutely no interest in the core offering here I wouldn't recommend backing the project just to get a Mephisto figure.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, leokearon said:

I swear to Christ, every time Dan post that's it's all right if you can't afford it, people take it as an insult. People, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. He isn't saying this is for exclusive fans. He is saying that if you can't afford it, then they understand. By the sound of things, they think it's too expensive as well, but they can't do anything about it as it's over their heads.

If you think it's too expensive, then don't back it. 

If you don't know or like that character, then don't back it.

If there are characters in the tiers that you want, either back it or wait for EBAY. 

But what I really hate is people calling backer sheep and shills for backing it. It's their money, their choice. 

I love Robbie so I will be backing this as soon as I can when they open it up to other sites. Honestly I think if they open it up soon as possible Robbie may get unlocked.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:55 PM, tarot said:

I swear to Christ, every time Dan post that's it's all right if you can't afford it, people take it as an insult. People, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. He isn't saying this is for exclusive fans. He is saying that if you can't afford it, then they understand. By the sound of things, they think it's too expensive as well, but they can't do anything about it as it's over their heads.

If you think it's too expensive, then don't back it. 

If you don't know or like that character, then don't back it.

If there are characters in the tiers that you want, either back it or wait for EBAY. 

But what I really hate is people calling backer sheep and shills for backing it. It's their money, their choice. 

I love Robbie so I will be backing this as soon as I can when they open it up to other sites. Honestly I think if they open it up soon as possible Robbie may get unlocked.

Exactly, if you can't afford it or don't want it then don't. No-one is forcing you to.

Posted this on my Facebook page but here:

I don't think people remember or choose to "forget" but we pretty much reacted the same way with last year's Galactus. We thought it was overpriced and only had the changeable faceplates as the base with NO extra figure yet.
The project wasn't even fully back after 2 weeks, so the team revealed the Nova figure which allow it to not only get back but boast past Nova. Silver Surfer slowed it down a bit, but it was unlocked faster than expected and Morg zoomed back the numbers. The least said of Doomlatus the better but at least it made it past the goal.
What I'm trying to say is yes, while this will get back. 3 days an nearly 3,649 Backers. That's not even including the fact that they haven't opened up to the rest of EU or other countries that don't have Pulse (which I'm hoping will be sometime early next week).
However, the Tier will be the deciding factor for most that I can agree with so I do think people should wait on that if they want.
The price is still #$## though

On 9/18/2022 at 5:53 PM, tarot said:

I don't think people remember or choose to "forget" but we pretty much reacted the same way with last year's Galactus. We thought it was overpriced and only had the changeable faceplates as the base with NO extra figure yet.
The project wasn't even fully back after 2 weeks, so the team revealed the Nova figure which allow it to not only get back but boast past Nova. Silver Surfer slowed it down a bit, but it was unlocked faster than expected and Morg zoomed back the numbers. The least said of Doomlatus the better but at least it made it past the goal.
What I'm trying to say is yes, while this will get back. 3 days an nearly 3,649 Backers. That's not even including the fact that they haven't opened up to the rest of EU or other countries that don't have Pulse (which I'm hoping will be sometime early next week).
However, the Tier will be the deciding factor for most that I can agree with so I do think people should wait on that if they want.

Well put!  I have purchased both the Sentinel and Galactus, and while I think this thing is over priced by at least $100, it is beautifully done, and I am pretty confident the tier add-ons are going to make many buy this damn thing (if Mephisto and Blackheart are included it is a no brainer, but damn I sure wish they would surprise us with another bike and rider)!.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, tarot said:

The price isnt the main problem, There will always be people who complain about the price. It happens with every Haslab. If it was $250 they'd say it shouldnt cost more than $150. I think the bigger problem with this campaign is people are like me who just aren't that interested in a Robbie and Car. If it was cheaper I am sure more would back it but I also know if it was something most people really wanted they wouldn't hesitate to pay $350. I think it will reach 9k backers but it may take most the time. As much as its slowed down its looking less and less likely it will make 9k by Sept 23rd so then it will be 1 figure down. 

We know Mephisto is coming, so if that was really going to be a big motivator I think it would already be showing its impact.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:01 PM, JayC said:

The price isnt the main problem, There will always be people who complain about the price. It happens with every Haslab. If it was $250 they'd say it shouldnt cost more than $150. I think the bigger problem with this campaign is people are like me who just aren't that interested in a Robbie and Car. If it was cheaper I am sure more would back it but I also know if it was something most people really wanted they wouldn't hesitate to pay $350. I think it will reach 9k backers but it may take most the time. As much as its slowed down its looking less and less likely it will make 9k by Sept 23rd so then it will be 1 figure down. 

We know Mephisto is coming, so if that was really going to be a big motivator I think it would already be showing its impact.

Spot on! I'm not pulling the trigger until I know the tiers. I don't need Robbie and the Car (even though they are exceptionally done), but if they have enough characters on my must have list it will tempt me enough to go for it. Betting many are thinking the same.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, tarot said:

then you obviously haven't gone on the cesspool that is the Marvel legends subreddit. LOL

I don't need to go to reddit and i've seen plenty of people #$## about the price, but again I see that happen with ever single Haslab. And again the cheaper something is the more people will buy it but I also know there are plenty of people in this hobby who have no problem paying that much for something if its something they really want, and there lies your real problem with this campaign. It was the same for the Star Wars Rancor. There just aren't nearly as many people who are interested in this as they were say the Sentinel and Galactus.

I've said this before, vehicles aren't going to be as appealing as larger scale characters in a Marvel line. Sure there will always be people who say they want them and there def people who are excited for this, they just aren't the majority. The GIJoe HISS tank was $300 (only $50 cheaper than this) and that funded in a day. Its not because there more GIJoe collectors or GIJoe has richer fans, its because vehicles are more appealing to Joe collectors because GIJoe is as much about the vehicles as the characters are. Marvel is not the same way.

This campaign is in real trouble because its slowed to a snails pace. So now its going to likely miss the early bird which means its going to have even less to offer folks. There are people who are going to back it with the idea they can cancel if they dont like the add-ons and as this continues to struggle and making things like stretch goals becomes more and more unlikely then its going to become even less appealing and hence even less people are going to back it or people who backed it will cancel.

Again its not the price that is the big problem, its that Hasbro chose to do something with far less overall appeal than things they have chosen to do in the past that will be the death nell of this one if it doesn't succeed.

On 9/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, JayC said:

I don't need to go to reddit and i've seen plenty of people #$## about the price, but again I see that happen with ever single Haslab. And again the cheaper something is the more people will buy it but I also know there are plenty of people in this hobby who have no problem paying that much for something if its something they really want, and there lies your real problem with this campaign. It was the same for the Star Wars Rancor. There just aren't nearly as many people who are interested in this as they were say the Sentinel and Galactus.

I've said this before, vehicles aren't going to be as appealing as larger scale characters in a Marvel line. Sure there will always be people who say they want them and there def people who are excited for this, they just aren't the majority. The GIJoe HISS tank was $300 (only $50 cheaper than this) and that funded in a day. Its not because there more GIJoe collectors or GIJoe has richer fans, its because vehicles are more appealing to Joe collectors because GIJoe is as much about the vehicles as the characters are. Marvel is not the same way.

This campaign is in real trouble because its slowed to a snails pace. So now its going to likely miss the early bird which means its going to have even less to offer folks. There are people who are going to back it with the idea they can cancel if they dont like the add-ons and as this continues to struggle and making things like stretch goals becomes more and more unlikely then its going to become even less appealing and hence even less people are going to back it or people who backed it will cancel.

Again its not the price that is the big problem, its that Hasbro chose to do something with far less overall appeal than things they have chosen to do in the past that will be the death nell of this one if it doesn't succeed.

I would pay $1000 for a six foot Celestial! 😉

But the question is, if not this, then what?  seems like rolling the dice on a GR haslab isn't that ridiculous - his whole flaming skull/vehicle look has a lot of aesthetic appeal for a lot of folks, beyond marvel fans.  Likewise charger is a super-popular vehicle.  So even if this particular version of GR is not the most popular, hasbro probably figured it was still cool enough looking to (maybe) get enough backing.  iow i think GR has more crossover appeal than most marvel characters, aside from Punisher.

I'm just not really convinced there is another $350 offering that would have been more of a slam-dunk.  I can't think of any other "big" characters that would be anywhere near as popular as the Sentinel or Galactus.  Punisher van or Fantasticar seem feasible but both have flaws - Frank's van doesn't look nearly as cool as the lit-up Hellcharger, and the Fantasticar doesn't really seem like it would merit $350.  Both a quinjet or blackbird would likely be more than $350 and take up more real estate.  A Danger room playset, not sure how that would even work.

So again while this haslab may not make it, feels like it was a pretty good choice from the options they have.  Of course others may have additional suggestions.   And worth noting, Hasbro could always choose to make something a bit less ambitious for a lower price next year.

Hasbro now has some official overseas sellers for Australia and Mexico for the HasLab Marvel Legends Ghost Rider Engine of Vengeance where Hasbropulse isn't offered! Use the following links if you're interested in backing.

United States:

Hasbropulse.com

Australia:

ZingPopCulutre.com
EB Games

Mexico:

Distritomax.com
JuguetibiciCollectors.com

On 9/19/2022 at 6:34 AM, bashpics99 said:

But the question is, if not this, then what?  seems like rolling the dice on a GR haslab isn't that ridiculous - his whole flaming skull/vehicle look has a lot of aesthetic appeal for a lot of folks, beyond marvel fans.  Likewise charger is a super-popular vehicle.  So even if this particular version of GR is not the most popular, hasbro probably figured it was still cool enough looking to (maybe) get enough backing.  iow i think GR has more crossover appeal than most marvel characters, aside from Punisher.

I'm just not really convinced there is another $350 offering that would have been more of a slam-dunk.  I can't think of any other "big" characters that would be anywhere near as popular as the Sentinel or Galactus.  Punisher van or Fantasticar seem feasible but both have flaws - Frank's van doesn't look nearly as cool as the lit-up Hellcharger, and the Fantasticar doesn't really seem like it would merit $350.  Both a quinjet or blackbird would likely be more than $350 and take up more real estate.  A Danger room playset, not sure how that would even work.

So again while this haslab may not make it, feels like it was a pretty good choice from the options they have.  Of course others may have additional suggestions.   And worth noting, Hasbro could always choose to make something a bit less ambitious for a lower price next year.

Yeah, playsets are just not gonna do it. That is the biggest gamble as far as a Haslab. Maybe a Quinjet could justify the cost and I think a scale Blackbird would not only be massive by maybe more around the $450 price point. The only thing I think would have gone over better than the Engine of Vengeance would have been perhaps Devil Dinosaur, but given that Mattel does some pretty massive and pretty detailed dinos at just a fraction of the price I don't think even Hasbro would have the stones to ask $350 for it. I do think Punisher's War Wagon would have done fairly well, but as you said, without all the light up accessories they'd really have to sweeten the deal with a buncha weapons and and maybe some sound effects. Maybe a Micro and Punisher included with the van, not as a tier. I think they're gonna try to do the Fantastica in Riders sets that you will be able to connect if you buy all four. That's just what I see based on Hasbro's standard practic.

The biggest rub on this is just the cost. I have no doubt if this thing had been $250 or even $300 this thing would have hit the Early Bird without a problem. That $350 just seems like Hasbro setting a bar so high just to see what the fans will put up with.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:34 PM, bashpics99 said:

I think a GR Haslab was a great idea, but given it is the 50th anniversary and Robbie is relatively new, it would have been a more interesting offering if Robbie was a part of the project along with additional more popular riders with their bikes (yeah, I know they did a bike a couple years ago, but that was not really one of the iconic hell cycle designs - updated versions of the Toybiz hell cycles would have been perfect). This will probably get funded and I will probably still back it, but I think it could have been a better offering, but maybe the tier unlocks will reveal that it is.

So now its going to likely miss the early bird which means its going to have even less to offer folks. There are people who are going to back it with the idea they can cancel if they dont like the add-ons and as this continues to struggle and making things like stretch goals becomes more and more unlikely then its going to become even less appealing and hence even less people are going to back it or people who backed it will cancel.

this is my thing. I thought I’d back if the powered down Robbie Reyes makes the cut but if not that’s one very large part of the appeal not included. For the overall package it’s decidedly less exciting.

For me it’s not the price per se though admittedly I don’t like the idea of spending over $300 for any collectible. I’ve supported both the Sentinel and Galactus and I feel I got a good value for the cost. This one drops in my value immediately if Reyes isn’t included.

The tiers may sway me but for now I’m sticking with backing only if Reyes is included.