Marvel Legends 2022 Haslab Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

On 9/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, JayC said:

I think they could have gotten Robbie and his car out for (granted a much cheaper made version with less accessories) to retail for $100 or less if they thought there was enough demand for that. The thing about general retail is, it would have to sell a fair more than 9k to be considered a success at mass retail, so even a cheaper version I am not sure would have really worked.

And that was my thought upon immediately seeing this thing. I was thinking this is no more that a $120 set, at best, and I would have gladly paid for it. Had this thing been GR with swappable head and hands for Robbie and the Hellcharger with swappable wheels and fire to make both powered and powered off versions I woulda slapped my money down without question. Mephisto didn't even have to be part of the deal. I woulda bought him and Blackheart as either Retro Carded or Deluxe sets as well, without question. Hasbro really screwed the pooch on this one. They got greedy and they took the fans for granted that we would sign up for anything they put out.

I find it questionable that Hasbro would go with the least-popular version of Ghost Rider for a campaign like this. I was practically stunned when this figure was announced for the Haslab campaign. I do think it has a chance of getting backed before the deadline, but it could be tight. They would have been much better off sticking with more classic versions that have a wider fan base going back decades, as opposed to a character like this that's been around for, what, 5 years?

Anyway, good luck to those that have backed this campaign; just be aware that the majority of people that tend to throw money at these campaigns grew up in the 80s and 90s and have a strong preference for the Ghost Rider's of that era and no interest whatsoever in this one.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:12 AM, JayC said:
It's not known how many other stretch goals Hasbro had originally planned for this particular campaign, but they had previously said all stretch goals would be for new 6" scale Marvel Legends figures. While Hasbro generally does not reveal all it's stretch goals up front, they may not have any choice but to do so in order to try and bring people back to the campaign or keep more from canceling their orders.

This is Hasbro's third Marvel Legends Haslab campaign. Last year we got the Marvel Legends Galactus figure which had a cost of $399.99 and ended with 30,811 Backers. The year before that we got the Marvel Legends Sentinel which had a cost of $349.99 and ended with 21,873 Backers.

The Marvel Legends Engine of Vengeance campaign is the first time Hasbro has attempted to offer a vehicle under the Haslab banner for the Marvel as opposed to a larger scale action figure.

Hasbro's big virtual Pulse-Con event takes place next weekend, so they may wait until then before deciding if they will reveal the remaining stretch goals to try and reverse the campaigns downturn, but we will just have to wait and see.

Here's the deal, and I speak as a person who has not withdrawn my support but am very close to doing so. It doesn't matter how many stretch goals these cats show out, they are not gonna fund this thing unless they do at least two of three things, which I'm fairly sure they not do. They need to include Robbie and Mephisto in the set outright and then they need to move those tier benchmarks a lot closer than 3,000 apart. Other than that the only thing they can do to save this thing is bring down the price.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:38 AM, JayC said:

Probably a question we will never really get an answer to, but after the success of the first two Marvel Legends Haslab campaigns I wonder why they decided to go the vehicle route as opposed to another large character.

They shoulda gone with Giant Man.

There are so many decisions here that don't make sense. The price, the standalone Robbie, why they though the HellCharger was the way to go? Even using Ghost RIder's Anniversary doesn't make sense, since it isn't that Ghost Rider and even if it does get backed, it won't be until next year before it is released and therefore it won't be an anniversary piece

I am not surprised this didnt make early bird.

The price has been brought up repeatedly regarding value for dollar but sufficed to say people were not happy with it. It may be what is right for Hasbro's business but it is clearly not whats right for the consumer.

Human Robbie was hardly an enticing early bird. Had Mephisto been the EB that is different story.

I am out of touch with the greater modern Marvel Universe, and while I get that this version of Mephisto is more in line with this Ghost Rider I find it uttrrly perplexing that classic style swap parts (mainly head) were not included; I dont think THIS is the Mephisto that Legends fans really want, and as such I dont think it is going to make the 12000 stretch. If and when that becomes apparent I wonder if support will drop below the 9000 needed for the base model.

And I could be wrong about that but this looks like a major missed opportunity. Since they claim they wont "do these figures any other way" it is a shame.

Id love a human 3 pack of Johnny Blaze Danny Ketch and Robbie Reyes, or a made to order deluxe Mephisto with crazy option parts; I think at least the latter could be successful.

IMHO had the offer been for the base with Mephisto EB this would have funded even at the price no one seems to be happy with

We shall see how this unfolds, but this seems like it is another example of Disney input directing a Haslab item towards failure much like the Rancor and Reva lightsaber.

Additionally, if they would just reveal the damn stretch goals right at the start for all of these that would be potentially more enticing to the consumer. "Hey we get to 15k you get Mephisto, Human Robbie and Blackheart" I dont get why they do not do that.

Doesnt look good for those of us who would like a 92 Danny GR with Bike either

I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards not backing this Haslab. I agree with those that feel Giant Man would have been a much better choice this year. Depending on how tall they decided to make him, the buck could be used for sooo many other large characters down the line - Goliath, Atlas, Ultimo, Super Adaptoid, Living Monolith, Eternity, Living Tribunal, In-Betweener, comic accurate Surtur, etc. I think Marvel Haslabs, with maybe a few exceptions, lend themselves best to character figures, not vehicles. The whole line is based on characters after all, not characters in or with vehicles, like GI Joe and others. The Fantasticar, Quinjet and Blackbird notwithstanding, collectors really want large characters from this line. 

On 9/24/2022 at 2:26 PM, Jormungand said:

The whole line is based on characters after all, not characters in or with vehicles, like GI Joe and others. The Fantasticar, Quinjet and Blackbird notwithstanding, collectors really want large characters from this line. 

I shudder to think what the ask on a Fantasticar would be, let alone a Blackbird

Exactly. Collectors wouldn't back anything less than a scale accurate version of the Blackbird either. And then the price would be astronomical. Yet, of the vehicles, this seems it would be the most popular, given the number of X-men fans on the forum. Hopefully, whether this is backed or not, it will serve as a wake-up call and coarse correction for future Haslabs.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:37 PM, Jormungand said:

Exactly. Collectors wouldn't back anything less than a scale accurate version of the Blackbird either. And then the price would be astronomical. Yet, of the vehicles, this seems it would be the most popular, given the number of X-men fans on the forum. Hopefully, whether this is backed or not, it will serve as a wake-up call and coarse correction for future Haslabs.

I dont know how much of the problem is Hasbro and how much is Disney. But it is certainly both of them IMO.

I dont see Hasbro doing this but NECA is doing a TMNT sewer in 3 different sets; maybe that would be a way to get the blackbird out? Sell it in 3 parts that unfold but connect to one big ass jet. I see a lot of QC and design hurdles with that specific item and idea, but I have the Batman TAS Batwing from DC Direct and that thing is enormous. A Blackbird would surely be USS Flagg sized.

I imagine what just the bridge of the millennium falcon in 1/12 scale would be like, then make it 3 times as long.

Side note; a 1/12 scale Falcon bridge would be ass expensive but amazing.

I wonder if this direction is the fault of the HasLab team being in charge of the operation. IIRC it was due to the failure of the Star Wars Rancor that they reorganized how they did HasLabs and the team “responsible” was changed from the product marketing group to the group that executes them and the marketing teams were co-leaders or subordinates. They made it sound like “we aren’t in charge of them anymore”. That’s  what I remember. So the marketing team probably presented a handful of ideas and the HasLab team decided this was the one that would make the most sense. Only it doesn’t. 

What about an all-new LED flame tires bike with a Johnny Blaze GR? The price point could be closer to $150-175. Then stretch goals of DK Ghost Rider figure with his bike’s add-on pieces (like the HISS Tank HasLab) to encourage multiple sales. At a lower price point you could buy 2 for the price of a single HellCharger. Or make the initial offering a pair of bikes with the JB and DK figures. The bikes could be molded a little differently (since they are a lot different styles) but a lot of the parts internally can be identical. 

the HellCharger looks awesome, but it’s just all around a poor value. It’s like they don’t see the world’s in a recession and a lot of people don’t have the kind of disposable income they had a couple years ago. 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mjolnir_Customs said:

What about an all-new LED flame tires bike with a Johnny Blaze GR? The price point could be closer to $150-175. Then stretch goals of DK Ghost Rider figure with his bike’s add-on pieces (like the HISS Tank HasLab) to encourage multiple sales. At a lower price point you could buy 2 for the price of a single HellCharger. Or make the initial offering a pair of bikes with the JB and DK figures. The bikes could be molded a little differently (since they are a lot different styles) but a lot of the parts internally can be identical.

This I would have backed in a heartbeat. You make a lot of good points and the consensus seems to be Hasbro and/or Disney failing to read the room on these releases.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:20 PM, Legender said:

After see how Hasbro take us for granted with that Mojo at 41.99 when the "special box set" cost three times I'm decided to no to be one of those 12,000 idi#%ts 

Yeah whats that about? Glad Mojo doesnt cost an arm and a leg. For those who want Longshot its pay up and eff off I guess. Hopefully theres a solo release.

Strange choices for Marvel and Hasbro these days

On 9/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Hulkwummy said:

Damn it all to hell, if the numbers keep going down, the whole Engine of Vengeance pack will crash and burn, it's only a matter of time, goodbye Mephisto, see you in a few decades.

I'm not sure that will happen, but even if it does, it could be a good thing. A signal to hasbro that their consumers are onto them and just not willing to buy anything at any price they put out. They then have their front men do a "heartfelt" message, i.e. "we hear you", low key "we'll do better", and a year or so release a Mephisto/ Blackheart two pack.

Or have him in their Deluxe Dr. Strange set (with removable cloak, new head, new magic effects, Orb of Agamotto stand, crystal ball, and Clea figure).

Or...

Well, you get the picture. Bottom line, they wouldn't necessarily take decades to do it. I'm not even sure Marvel Legends will be around that long  lol

Yeah bad news on Robbie not making the cut. Now let’s say it gets its 9000 to begin production but comes up short on Mephisto. Now we’re back to $350 for a (really sweet ) car and 1 figure. Be interesting to see how Hasbro spins that.

Now this is a worst case scenario but I’d feel taken if really great things were offered but due to cost, lack of interest etc I end up with the bare minimum. I guarantee unless the next project is Avengers related then I’d be double cautious about ever backing a Haslab project again

On 9/24/2022 at 2:12 PM, MrWolf12000 said:

I am not surprised this didnt make early bird.

The price has been brought up repeatedly regarding value for dollar but sufficed to say people were not happy with it. It may be what is right for Hasbro's business but it is clearly not whats right for the consumer.

Human Robbie was hardly an enticing early bird. Had Mephisto been the EB that is different story.

I am out of touch with the greater modern Marvel Universe, and while I get that this version of Mephisto is more in line with this Ghost Rider I find it uttrrly perplexing that classic style swap parts (mainly head) were not included; I dont think THIS is the Mephisto that Legends fans really want, and as such I dont think it is going to make the 12000 stretch. If and when that becomes apparent I wonder if support will drop below the 9000 needed for the base model.

Based on the pics, Mephisto for this stretch goal he is very close to how I remember him looking in stories like The Infinity Gauntlet and Mephisto Vs limited series. 

Is there a more specific look you are thinking of?

On 9/25/2022 at 3:18 AM, McHogan said:

Based on the pics, Mephisto for this stretch goal he is very close to how I remember him looking in stories like The Infinity Gauntlet and Mephisto Vs limited series. 

Is there a more specific look you are thinking of?

It based primarily on rom lim art. They used that same images on those trading card they did.

RDT_20220925_034209315375753553024052.jpg

I was skeptical when this Haslab product was announced. To go from a Sentinel, to Galactus to a car, all be it a nice car, was a questionable move in my opinion. As it's been pointed out, Ghost Rider does not have that big of a following, as say the X-Men do, and despite the 50 year anniversary, if they had to make a vehicle it would have made more sense to do something larger, like an X jet.

Bottom line is that, (for me), this vehicle is not worth the $300+ and as much as I want the Mephisto figure I'm not spending over $300 for it and a car that I would open, turn on the lights say "that's cool and well done", then throw it back in the box and probably never open again and eventually sold it.

It's not been a good weekend for the Marvel Legends HasLab Engine of Vengeance campaign. Things started going off the rails Friday night when the campaign failed to reach it's early bird goal for the 6" Marvel Legends Robbie Reyes (Human Form) figure. At that time the campaign was sitting at 6,118 backers which meant it still needed 2882 backers to reach the minimum number of 9k backers to move into production.

Once it became apparent the 6" Marvel Legends Robbie Reyes (Human Form) was not going to be included with the campaign, people began canceling their orders and the backer count started moving backwards. As far as I know the only Haslab campagin to have the counter move backwards was the one for the Star Wars Black Series Rancor which failed to get funded. As of Sunday morning the campaign has lost 382 backers now sitting at 5,730, and still seems to continue to be moving in the wrong direction.

The campaign still has time to recover from this weekends loses as it will run until the end of October, however according to Dan Yun from Hasbro they won't be doing any more reveals (I assume meaning showing all the possible stretch goals) or extending the deadline for the Early Bird figure.

Hasbro earlier in the week did go on and reveal the campaign's first stretch goal which is for a 7" Marvel Legends Mephisto figure. That will be included if the campaign were able to reach 12k backers by the end of October.

In my opinion, if Hasbro does nothing, this campaign will not be funded. At this stage probably the only thing they could do is just go on and reveal the remaining stretch goals and hope those are cool enough to entice enough people back to the campaign, but even that wouldn't guarantee anything. Based on Yun's tweet it looks more likely that they will simply just hope for the best but likely are already planning for the worst which would be the first failed Haslab campaign for the Marvel team.