Marvel Legends 2022 Haslab Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

On 9/24/2022 at 10:18 PM, McHogan said:

Based on the pics, Mephisto for this stretch goal he is very close to how I remember him looking in stories like The Infinity Gauntlet and Mephisto Vs limited series. 

Is there a more specific look you are thinking of?

Yes the classic look. Its purely my subjective take but I felt more could have been done with the figure.

The fact his reveal has not brought this to the early bird causes me to speculate this perhaps is not what many fans hoped for.

Besides the fact no one wanted a long desired character behind a 350 dollar paywall

I think part of the problem is the choice of vehicle.  Robbie is a fairly new character with a smaller fan base.  If thry had chosen a car like, say, I don't know...the SPIDER-BUGGY this woulda been funded overnight.  Ok, that's a stretch, but it probably wouldn't've been as tough as this one seems to be.

Oooh...and a stretch goal could been parts to make it the Dead-Buggy...

On 9/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, glhshelby said:

I think the Hasbro team knows that, as much as the Hellcharger was obviously a misfire, changing the “rules” midstream in order to get it funded would just backfire on future projects. Better to just ride it out and hopefully learn for the next one. 

I have always found it perplexing they dont just tell you upfront what you can unlock. I have backed a few kickstarters and they tell you plenty off the hop, seems to work on that crowdfunding platform and this is a multibillion dollar corporation asking us to do the same with little information.

Knowing why THAT was their policy would be helpful.

I think it will get backed - there are always hordes of last minute speculators who buy these projects hoping to triple their money down the line. Personally I think it would be a mistake to do so for this project, I just don't see a ton of return on your investment down the line, but I've been wrong before, many times in fact. But with this car there isn't the same type of wow factor that there has been with the last two Marvel Haslab projects.

When you're more interested in Mephisto then the car, you've got serious problems with the project.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, MrWolf12000 said:

I have always found it perplexing they dont just tell you upfront what you can unlock. I have backed a few kickstarters and they tell you plenty off the hop, seems to work on that crowdfunding platform and this is a multibillion dollar corporation asking us to do the same with little information.

Knowing why THAT was their policy would be helpful.

I don't usually make this argument, but in this case, I really think it's greed.  For the Sentinel, we knew how many sales were needed for each stretch goal, which were 1,000 sales apart from each other.  They went through those goals quickly, and eventually added a last-minute goal to maximize sales.  Now they want to wait and see how sales go before they even mention what the various goals are.  

I think this is backfiring.  The point of the goals is supposed to be to entice more people to buy.  For some people, it's going to backfire.  If they don't think goals will be hit, they won't order, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I imagine there's a lot of collectors in my position, the car looks fantastic but I can't justify $350 on it even if it might be worth that if all the tiers are reached. And really, that just comes down to lack of interest in the product itself. I put down $400 on Galactus, knowing that I could pay it off over time. I could very well do the same here, but no matter how good it looks, neither the charger or the potential tier figures appeal to me to drop that much on it. A good example of this would be if it was an AoS Robbie and Hellcharger, with some of the Agents as tiers. Day 1 backing for me, and that would only be slightly different than what the current offering is. Galactus and the Sentinel were huge names, appealing to many many people. The way the campaign is going right now, it isn't going to fund, I'm not sure exactly why Hasbro is deciding to not reveal the rest of the tiers now, I think those will be the only things that would get it there.   

As others have said, the price tag is only an issue because it isn’t a slam dunk project (Most didn’t bat an eye over the price of the last two projects because they were absolute must haves, and this car isn’t that). Including Mephisto to get this across the finish line is just shitty, and doesn’t honor loyal collectors who really wanted him and don’t need or want the car (or might not have the funds for such a big purchase). Many who back this will probably do so begrudgingly. Curious what other ideas for projects they have toyed with. Why not a $200 Project? Say a collection of Skrull versions of characters (like a ten pack)? Or a whole team in one shot (Gen X, Marauders, Starjammers, New Mutants)…or two Ghost Riders on bikes (which I wish this one would have been).

Of course that's what they're gonna say. They have never admitted they've done anything wrong. Ever.

I hope this is a slap of reality to them and they shape their isht up. They got super greedy, they took the fans for granted and they thought we were too stupid to know when we're being gouged. Not only is the price way too high but the stretch goals are way too far apart.

I was skeptical from the start but I didn't want to be part of the reason this thing didn't fund, but I've pulled my my support because I'm fairly certain this thing is toast. Even if it does fund there's no way they'll hit 12,000. If it does, as always, I will be happy to eat my shorts.

I must say it was pretty cool to log into pulse and see the backers drop in real time. Gotta enjoy the little things.

Message to Hasbro. Now, take away those $2.00 led lights you've been trying to charge an extra $150.00 for and drop those Brimstone Risers if you need to save some cash, include the Robbie head swap and put that beeyatch into production and put it on the shelf, or as an Amazon or Walmart or Target or Etailer exclusive and charge $150.00 for it and get to work for Giant-Man as next year's Haslab.

The fandom has spoken. We're not gonna be your mindless consumers anymore. We sat through 3 price hikes, being charged 5 extra dollars for stupid "retro" boxes, the creation of a thief's paradise with the ridiculous decision to no longer include even a sliver of a window in your packaging, the reduction of the female figures to almost a single body mold, little to no focus on proper scale, the constant inclusion of bit and insignificant characters into spots in waves that could have been better utilized, and to top it all off, been verbally chided and disrespected by your sales team.

Get it together Hasbro. Without us there is no you.

Ya know, they probably are not very keen on changing the plan midstream as they wouldn’t want to set a precedent, but they could probably save this by saying once they hit the 9000 goal for production Mephisto is earned/added (9000 being the tier goal), civilian Robbie at 12000, and Blackheart at 14000. It is not a good look to have this fail, so they should do what they need to in order to make this pull through. Even a win for Hasbro with a little less profit is better than a fail.

On 9/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, SpiderMan said:

I don't usually make this argument, but in this case, I really think it's greed.  For the Sentinel, we knew how many sales were needed for each stretch goal, which were 1,000 sales apart from each other.  They went through those goals quickly, and eventually added a last-minute goal to maximize sales.  Now they want to wait and see how sales go before they even mention what the various goals are.  

I think this is backfiring.  The point of the goals is supposed to be to entice more people to buy.  For some people, it's going to backfire.  If they don't think goals will be hit, they won't order, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm right here with you. I'm not one to usually write something off as greed. A company has got to make profit to keep making product, I understand that maybe better than most, but there is nothing, absolutely no thing that justifies the price of this thing. Then with the multiple price hikes, the constant multi-packs with only one new figure and the reasoning behind the higher prices of "exclusive" product, there really is no other explaination.

Let's not forget there has been a change at the helm of Hasbro's toy division and insiders in the industry say he is basically the Bob Chapek of the toy world. If this thing is gonna work out we gotta let him know we're not idiots.

Giving people a week to fund the project and get Robbie wasn't smart. Yes, you aren't charged until the project is funded but I guarantee you there were people out there that didn't know that. Robbie in general wasn't probably the best figure to do first anyhow.

I did think they were giving a very short goal date for the human figure. It seemed a little cocky. I don't think there is any practical reason to give such a short period of time for the Reyes figure. This suggests it was purely a marketing decision, trying to push potential buyers to act quickly. I don't see any harm to Hasbro if they did add the human form figure in when the campaign hits 9,000, even if that's late in the game. It almost seems spiteful not to, unless there really is some added cost reason.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, ransomz said:

I did think they were giving a very short goal date for the human figure. It seemed a little cocky. I don't think there is any practical reason to give such a short period of time for the Reyes figure. This suggests it was purely a marketing decision, trying to push potential buyers to act quickly. I don't see any harm to Hasbro if they did add the human form figure in when the campaign hits 9,000, even if that's late in the game. It almost seems spiteful not to, unless there really is some added cost reason.

I don't think they can include human form...they'd lose all credibility.  If they "throw in" the early bird fig even if the goal isn't met, people may start to think other stretch goals will just be thrown in, and goals won't be met.

I’m bummed Robbie isn’t getting made but Mephisto pulled me back in. Now with the ticker going backwards maybe the Devil doesn’t get made either. 

It would be unfortunate if this is the first Haslab to fail because it is a beautiful piece. But the Hasbro team getting a huge slice of humble pie would be a fitting consolation prize. You’d think Hasbro would want this to succeed but this past weekend feels like it was an attempted power play by Hasbro to the limits of what fandom was willing to pay. 

It's sad, but also maybe a wake up call that since the Early Bird didn't get hit, this has lost about 500 backers in only like 2 days, doesn't seem to be gaining anyone, I think Hasbro really needs to pull out the reveals despite clearly not wanting to, or they won't entice anyone, sad thing is that if this doesn't get backed they likely will just keep a Robbie and Mephisto locked away for well...who knows maybe ever.

as everyone has made the same points on why this is failing I just wont, we all know why, but it seems the collector community has spoken and drawn a line, they don't want to be gouged and they want it to be worth while, no light shows and slight of hand tricks, like we have been seeing so much of as of recent with Hasbro, case in point...make us pay up the wazoo for a Mojo and you secretly had a cheaper one in the back.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, ransomz said:

They did it because it worked for the HISS Tank, the difference was that with the HISS Tank early bird was a Tank Tactician which clearly was a bonus figure (heck fans could even vote on it's colour scheme). Robbie on the other hand was a figure that should have been included with the Hell Charger from the start given you could depower the car. Also the HISS Tank was cheaper, needed 1000 less backers and was way more desirable for collectors.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:14 AM, leokearon said:

They did it because it worked for the HISS Tank, the difference was that with the HISS Tank early bird was a Tank Tactician which clearly was a bonus figure (heck fans could even vote on it's colour scheme). Robbie on the other hand was a figure that should have been included with the Hell Charger from the start given you could depower the car. Also the HISS Tank was cheaper, needed 1000 less backers and was way more desirable for collectors.

honestly I don't even think it did work for the HISS Tank, I think it just funded that fast purely by the nature of GI Joe fans; managing to get the Tactician was simply a byproduct

Haslab has always been too expensive for me and while I would have loved to get a hellcharger with Robbie Reyes. I would have paid closer to 120$ CDN for it. This Haslab seems to be what I asked for with too many unnecessary effect pieces to blow up the price point compared to the Sentinel and Galactus. Had they sold this at a premium pricepoint, NOT as a Haslab. Hasbro would have made their money back, easily. Also, Gabe in his wheelchair should have been included as part of the initial accessories. I do not care how obscure he is. Given Hasbro included a Dr. Doom headsculpt from Marvel Two-In-One with the Haslab Galactus.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:37 AM, Jeddostotle7 said:

honestly I don't even think it did work for the HISS Tank, I think it just funded that fast purely by the nature of GI Joe fans; managing to get the Tactician was simply a byproduct

I have to agree, I don’t think the Early Bird tactician swayed many people by itself. People who were going to back the HISS tank still would’ve backed it. But I do agree that it was a value ad for people who are on the fence, as opposed to a figure that most people would consider integral to the product as a whole, like Reyes.