SDCC 2022 - The Marvel Studios Panel Lays Out Phase 5 And Part Of Phase 6

JayC

Today during the big Marvel Studios panel in Hall H at the 2022 San Diego Comic Con, Kevin Feige laid out the time line along with the names of movies and Disney+ shows for the MCU's 5th Phase as well as three movies coming in Phase Six.

So first of all, Phase Four will be ending with the Disney+ Series She-Hulk (August) series and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November) movie, both of which we got new trailers for tonight.

Phase 5 will then kick off on February 17, 2023 with Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania. We also got to see a new poster for that one today which gave us a look at Kang and Ant-Man's daughter Cassie Lang with her Stinger costume on.

Next up will be the Disney+ series Secret Invasion followed by Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 which will premier in theaters on May 5, 2023. It was said this movie will be the end for this era of Guardians in the MCU. A trailer was shown to those at the convention which featured Will Poulter as Adam Warlock and the movies villain the The High Evolutionary.

Echo followed by Loki Season 2 will premier on Disney+ in the Summer of 2023. The Marvels will open in theaters on July 29, 2023 followed by Blade on November 3, 2023. Ironheart will be the next Disney+ series set for the Fall of 2023 which will then be followed by Agatha: Coven of Chaos which will premier at the end of 2023 and take us into 2024.

Charlie Cox will return to the MCU as Matt Murdock/Daredevil first having appearances in She-Hulk and Echo which will then take him into his own 18 episode series called Daredevil: Born Again. Sam Wilson will return in the next Captain America: New World Order movie which opens in theaters on May 3, 2024.

Finally Phase 5 will come to an end on July 26, 2024 with Thunderbolts.

Phase 6 will kick off on November 8, 2024 with the Fantastic Four and end with two Avengers movies. On May 2, 2025 we will see Avengers: The Kang Dynasty followed by Avengers: Secret Wars which will open in theaters on November 8, 2025. It looks like Phase 6 will see 8 additional titles released between November 2024 and November 2025. So phase 6 will only take a year to complete. As for what those 8 remaining titles will be, that remains a mystery, though we will likely find out more in September when Disney holds it's own D23 convention.

00.jpg

Agatha-Coven-Of-Chaos.jpg

Blade.jpg

Daredevil-Born-Again.jpg

Echo.jpg

Fantastic-Four-01.jpg

Fantastic-Four-02.jpg

Fantastic-Four-03.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-Vol-3.jpg

Ironheart.jpg

Loki-Season-2.jpg

Secret-Invasion.jpg

The-Multiverse-Saga.jpg

Thunderbolts.jpg

On 7/24/2022 at 3:26 AM, leokearon said:

To be honest there are very few of these that are exciting me. I'm pretty much suffering from MCU burnout

I felt this way up until seeing this right now, Gotta say a whole bunch of this stuff gave me the feels, Avengers Secret Wars! and that's after a movie called Kang Dynasty, oh boy, it clearly feels like phase 4 is a new Phase 1, by the time Phase 6 starts we should be seeing this in major swing like the end of phase 3, these current Phases are going to be giving us the new stories and new characters that will establish the bigger picture, they clearly know what they are doing it's a formula, let's hope they get it right, again.

wow, didn't realize phase 4 was wrapping up so soon. it is safe to say it was the weakest of the 4 phases?  haven't seen thor or BP yet but Shang-Chi was the only phase 4 movie i felt was really up to snuff (despite a somewhat overcrowded 3rd act).  The D+ series have been a very mixed bag as well... altho i am looking forward to She-Hulk.

While the bloom is off the rose a bit, so to speak, still a lot to look forward to, especially in phase 6.  i am looking forward to antman 3 and gotg3 as well as thunderbolts in phase 5.  Born again sounds good but 18 episodes is a lot. looking forward to marvels more having seen Monica and Kamala in D+. 

So could we be heading to an actual Beyonder wisks all the heroes (Avengers, FF, X-Men, Thunderbolts) and villains (Dr. Doom, Magneto) away to a battleworld to fight one another type storyline that ends with a confrontation with Galactus?????

Fantastic-Four-03__scaled_600.jpg

Wow, 2023 is going to be hopping with 4 MCU movies and 4 or 5 tv shows (depending on where Agatha falls). That's an impressive amount of content! I'm a little concerned by no mention of the rumored Werewolf by Night Halloween Special and the Guardians Holiday Special that I thought were both supposed to be in 2022, but those might just be considered one offs that really do nothing to add to the overall shared MCU plot. Also no mention of Deadpool 3 or anything else mutant related likely mean that those won't happen until at least the 2nd half of 2024, which is a little disappointing. There also appear to be a lot of the other heavy hitters absent in Phase 5 that I might have expected sequels for, but with Phase 5 evidently only being spread over 18 total months, I guess that's certainly understandable. I'm probably most excited for Secret Invasion for 2022, although that doesn't really allow for any additional build up for it - unless there's something in the Guardians Holiday Special.

According to THR, Destin Daniel Cretton who directed last year's Shang Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings movie has been selected to helm the next Avengers movie which is titled The Kang Dynasty, and is set to open in theaters on May 2, 2025. No word if he or someone else will be directing the second Avengers movie set to also open that year which is called Avengers: Secret Wars. That movie will end Phase 6 of the MCU and is slated to open on November 8, 2025.

So the current MCU era is the “Multiverse Saga”? Makes sense given what we’ve seen so far. 

Used to be EVERY MCU offering was must see for me but that all ended with Shang Chi ( did see in theaters but had to be near the end of the run.) and the Eternals. This one could not convince myself or the family to give a $#!¥ so unceremoniously watched over the course of 3 days on D+.. and still felt my time was wasted

only a few movies coming up have peaked my interest and only Secret Wars and DD for D+.. ah well ... all good things come to an end. At least I got 4 just awesome (IMO) Avengers films and hopefully a few more before the MCU starts relying on the X Franchise..

Hearing Daniel Cretton is doing the Kang Dynasty Avengers movie is fine, but I really hoped the Russo bros would return for at least an Avengers movie, I think they did such a good job with their Avengers Installments , and Captain America Winter Soldier & Civil War, which those 4 movies are no question in my top MCU movies, , not that I didn't like Shang Chi, it was good and fine, but it felt a bit messy, but maybe that was just that it moved away from the source material so heavily, either way I always wait for the final product for the final judgement.

I would loved a Russo's return as well, but from interviews I've seen and read I think they left the MCU with what they feel is a Mic Drop. Probably for the best as the current state of the MCU is a giant confusing mess. Not that there haven't been a good movie or show scattered in there but it's all over the place. Good thing is Cretton did a decent job with what was available to him so I suppose if anyone is capable of making sense of the Multiverse/Timestream cluster he's got as good a shot as any.

Just keep Awkwafina as far the hell away from this project as possible and you've already started on the right foot.

Probably for the best as the current state of the MCU is a giant confusing mess.

Pretty much this.  It's like they had no idea what to do after Endgame but 50 vague concepts and just decided to act them all out and see what sticks.  And 2025 means we have another three years of this to set through and maybe/kinda/hopefully it all works out and comes together in the end.  But yeah, no structure, a million loose ends and creating even more by the month, movies and characters that *could* be part of a new team or Universe but no idea if or how they would fit in, the multiverse which just confuses things to the millionth power unless you've already read the comics for 50 years...it's hard to be hopeful at this point.  Now imagine the 'X' teams somehow being rebooted and integrated into all of this in some fashion and just head explode basically.

Between the re-releases and what appears to be years of 'updated' and recylced MCU figures and the ridiculous price hikes, my budget for Legends is about 10% what it used to be.  I've switched over to some other brands and the GI Joe Classified series recently, which somehow continue to be cheaper and include more in the way of accessories than Legends.  And don't have to come in enclosed packaging.

I love Daniel Destin-Cretton and for what he has done with Shang-Chi and The Mandarin and how it gave us proper Asian representation in the MCU and now, I always see myself as the awesome Xu Wenwu. He  is no doubt an excellent choice to direct Avengers: Kang Dynasty

On 7/23/2022 at 11:26 PM, leokearon said:

To be honest there are very few of these that are exciting me. I'm pretty much suffering from MCU burnout

I worry that they're going too fast too far. I said the same thing the first time Eternals was mentioned....a big "what the...?" Thunderbolts....I don't get why they're even thinking of that at this point. 

I know there's been a lot of recent grumbling from some in Hollywood that Marvel's "not real cinema" (which is ridiculous),  but if they get too much ahead of themselves churning out projects for Phase 4 5 6 7 8 etc., I fear the quality will suffer.

all i know is that phase 4 was mostly underwhelming (altho i 'll admit haven't seen Thor yet and of course haven't seen BP 2) with Shang-Chi being the highlight for me, and even that one suffered from an overly stuffed 3rd act.  The D+ shows have all had their moments but i think these series just underscore some of the weaknesses of the mcu, such as introducing interesting issues only to give them a very shallow treatment,  detouring from the main narrative to hype up potential spin-off characters, and plot holes that "suspension of disbelief" allows you to paper over during a 2-3 hour movie but are harder to ignore when you have a week between episodes to think about it.  

I think its best just to keep in mind that these shows are meant to be appealing to both adult fans and 9- year olds. they can and should try to improve of course but these shows are never gonna be prestige TV, despite some big name actors giving it their best shot

I am looking forward to the 2 Avengers movies as well as other offerings here and there, I'd like to say that I'm not burned out on mcu but feels like most of the projects sound OK rather than awesome. Still, mcu movies are generally among the movies i most look forward to seeing in a given year.

• 1 year later...

According to Deadline, filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton has decided to step down as director of Marvel Studios' Avengers: Kang Dynasty to focus on his other Marvel projects. However, this is not a negative departure as Cretton is still very much a part of the Marvel Studios family and is currently in discussions with them about directing future films.

It's worth noting that Avengers: Kang Dynasty is still a few years away from its theatrical release, with a scheduled date of May 1, 2026. This will be followed by Avengers: Secret Wars on May 7, 2027, which will mark the end of Phase 6 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Currently, Cretton is busy working on the Marvel Studios/Disney+ series Wonder Man, which he co-created with Andrew Guest. He is an executive producer on the show and has also directed the first two episodes. Shooting for the series will resume after Thanksgiving. It's important to note that Wonder Man will be part of the new Marvel Spotlight series banner, which are standalone shows that are not connected to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:38 PM, Outsiders said:

It's important to note that Wonder Man will be part of the new Marvel Spotlight series banner, which are standalone shows that are not connected to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is weird, so we are doing things like this now? I feel this is a odd step back, after extensively working on connecting everything in the universe and weaving the rich tapestry that is the MCU, we are going to see things that don't really have any connection? that feels hollow, like almost what's the point then, if this show is going to exist in some compartmental state, we are so invested in the entire universe, it would feel like if it wasn't connected to the MCU, why even bother to watch it really? and does that mean we won't see Wonder Man in other MCU films/shows, he's just floating in an alt timeline?