SDCC 2022 - Hasbro Marvel Legends Black Panther Wakanda Forever Wave Figure Images

JayC

So, earlier in this thread I somewhat bemoaned that the MCU Attuma (and thus the figure) were going to be so different from the classic comic version, and then today I came across what he currently looks like in the comics, which is far more similar to the MCU version (pic below). I hadn't seen this representation of him before today. Now the question is whether the artist was privy to what the MCU version was going to look like when he drew this version....

7825486-screenshot_2021-02-2409jpg%28jpegimage%2C1988%C3%973056pixels%29.jpg7825485-screenshot_2021-02-2405jpg%28jpegimage%2C1988%C3%973056pixels%29.jpg

I was, of course like many far more familiar with the below version:

3368930-attuma.jpg618175-attuma.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, NotNamed said:

Only one I'm interested in here is the comic Black Panther. Anyone know which look this is? It looks close to his first appearance, but that had a single strap across his chest whereas this figure has dual cords instead.

It is his 2005 costume, when they had the relaunch, created by John Romita Jr , but it seems to be a bit of a tweaked Hasbro rendition because of the half cape.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On 7/25/2022 at 3:29 PM, Reno said:

So, earlier in this thread I somewhat bemoaned that the MCU Attuma (and thus the figure) were going to be so different from the classic comic version, and then today I came across what he currently looks like in the comics, which is far more similar to the MCU version (pic below). I hadn't seen this representation of him before today. Now the question is whether the artist was privy to what the MCU version was going to look like when he drew this version....

7825486-screenshot_2021-02-2409jpg%28jpegimage%2C1988%C3%973056pixels%29.jpg7825485-screenshot_2021-02-2405jpg%28jpegimage%2C1988%C3%973056pixels%29.jpg

I was, of course like many far more familiar with the below version:

3368930-attuma.jpg618175-attuma.jpg

Ah interesting so I guess they took from more recent source material, obviously most of us are going to be more keen on his classic looks, but I guess they didn't stray to far from the path with his movie counterpart, I guess that's cool to know.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

It is his 2005 costume, when they had the relaunch, created by John Romita Jr , but it seems to be a bit of a tweaked Hasbro rendition because of the half cape.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

No no. it's is more based on his original solo costume. The shorter cape is a clear sign.

blackpanther02c.JPG

On 7/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, tarot said:

No no. it's is more based on his original solo costume. The shorter cape is a clear sign.

blackpanther02c.JPG

Yeah I can't say I agree the only thing about this version you posted is the short cape, everything else is exactly like the 2005 run, from the belt to the double straps and the all black attire except for the boots and gloves. I guess it's safe to say its amalgamation of the both.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:30 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

I’m still wow’d over the fact that Attuma and the Sub-Mariner are coming to the MCU. I wonder if Tiger Shark will swim into the picture.

If Tiger Shark turns up, that might mean Stingray might turn up

On 7/25/2022 at 12:33 PM, Ironspider428 said:

This Okoye is a completely new mold to my eyes, double-jointed elbows and pinless. And people have been asking for a single-carded Okoye since the BAF came out. Okoye makes complete sense in this wave. Ross I'm with you on, I have no idea why they made the choice to repaint him in this wave aside from just cost reasons. 

But I highly doubt we won't see Shuri at some point considering she's one of the main characters of the movie and likely the new Black Panther. That may be why we haven't seen her yet, though I hope we get her purple suit too like the basic figure. Namorita I'm less sure of, maybe they'll get around to her after they finish the lineups for NWH, MOM and LAT.

Well I didn't necessarily say they were re-used figures so much as they're repeat characters. They rarely just use older figures for new movies. I know it's pretty much a requirement that all the major characters get a figure when a new movie comes out, but man, how many unproduced characters get left behind because we have to have an umpteenth Iron Man or Cap?

Take the most recent Starlord, what was up with that. I'm a huge Chris Pratt fan and I'm happy he gets his, but was he really that big a part of Love and Thunder that he needed a figure? It was more or less 5 minutes and done. We coulda got a Comic Gore instead and instead of Groot, who I can't actually remember seeing in the movie, we coulda got another comic figure. Sometimes it seems like they're just reaching to far for some of these MCU figures.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, monron999 said:

Well I didn't necessarily say they were re-used figures so much as they're repeat characters. They rarely just use older figures for new movies. I know it's pretty much a requirement that all the major characters get a figure when a new movie comes out, but man, how many unproduced characters get left behind because we have to have an umpteenth Iron Man or Cap?

Take the most recent Starlord, what was up with that. I'm a huge Chris Pratt fan and I'm happy he gets his, but was he really that big a part of Love and Thunder that he needed a figure? It was more or less 5 minutes and done. We coulda got a Comic Gore instead and instead of Groot, who I can't actually remember seeing in the movie, we coulda got another comic figure. Sometimes it seems like they're just reaching to far for some of these MCU figures.

Especially when they don't look that much different form their last appearance or are getting a new movie (and probably) new look in about a year.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:10 PM, glhshelby said:

You keep proposing that the BP Legacy wave (as lazy as it is) is somehow just repainted old stock. There’s literally no possibility of that. 

Okay, calling them repaints is a little bit of over simplification. Of course they're not just repainting finished product, but they are re-using unused/unsold product. I'm about to get technical, but it is to back up my statement so please allow me the leeway since you presented the question. Any numbers or figures I use are not official numbers but just generalizations.

I'll admit my experience is based on construction materials and not retail product but anyone who has any knowledge of having to have product produced on a large scale knows that in order to work out a) best pricing/cost, and b) guaranteed production dates and times from the producers, one must first commit to purchasing either a certain amount of raw material or a certain amount of finished product, especially for the manufacturers based in the countries they are in. The producer has to be guaranteed to produce a certain number of finished units to even fire up the production line, meaning they are not gonna gear up and set deadlines to do 100,000 figures and then let customer come back tack on another 20,000 at a later date without an entirely new set-up agreement (set up fees) and without another major price negotiation. Additionally, the customer is not going to go through the entire process of another set-up agreement unless they foresee a major profit gain from doing so.

Basically what I'm saying is it's not likely that Hasbro fired up the production line to reproduce the same old figures specifically to do this Legacy Wave. What's more likely is the manufacturer produced an agreed upon amount of unassembled, unpainted, unfinished and unboxed parts (BAF parts included), as they are all different and separate processes, until it was decided by Hasbro if they were needed for restock or could be utilized at a future date, such as this Legacy Wave. Also leaving a certain amount of product unpainted means that it can be recycled unblemished, and reused for future product.

Now the argument is always gonna be alive as to how well the BP waves actually sold. It may not be the case everywhere but from what I saw in my travels within the country was a too much product left on the shelves and a lot of product on clearance and discount stores, specifically with a lot of the figures in this wave. The buyers at stores like Walmart and Target only agree to buy an initial amount of product and maybe one or two restocks because they want to find out if the product will sell. On the other hand it is in Hasbro's best interest to have a certain amount of finished product ready in their own stock case stores do require restock. Left unsold, that is the product that goes to online overstock sites or stores like Ross and Marshalls with a sizeable mark down. One may ask why very few, if any at all figures like Iron Man and Namor ended up in those discount venues if that was the case, well that's where sales from online stores and pre-orders, who don't necessarily by full sets, come into play. That's why some people get their pre-orders almost as soon as the product is release and some have to wait months. For instance, the Stiltman wave. A lot of people who ordered them in sets or cases were getting their orders right away, but if you ordered multiples of the Hand Ninja alone we were waiting months and months for that order to be completed. They were being pulled from and maybe even finished from Hasbro's stock while a few of the other figures weren't even selling off the store shelves.

How well the initial waves sold versus how previous or subsequent waves sold is almost insignificant to the fact that it is easily feasible that Hasbro could have overshot the amount of product they thought they needed and had the product over produced, and now 5 years later, after a big event like Endgame, after some regret by some buyers that they didn't get the first wave, after some renewed interest in the movie and characters, after some new fans to the Marvel franchises and maybe some completionist fans and fans of redecos they thought they might be able to offload some of this left over product and recover some cost.

Again, it is more likely, and much less risky for Hasbro to use a little bit of paint and a little bit of cardboard to reissue some unfinished product rather than go through the process of restarting and reproducing these figures that have a really questionable amount of mass appeal.

• 1 month later...

Yikes, not loving that MCU Ironheart armor. I knew that it wouldn't likely be terribly comic accurate, but this shocked me a little bit. I don't generally buy MCU figures, but I guess that I could see myself starting a hall of alternate armors for Ironheart like I have for Iron Man.  I have both the comic and MCU Rescue but only use the comic version in my display. It would probably be the same for this.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:21 AM, monron999 said:

Okay, calling them repaints is a little bit of over simplification. Of course they're not just repainting finished product, but they are re-using unused/unsold product. I'm about to get technical, but it is to back up my statement so please allow me the leeway since you presented the question. Any numbers or figures I use are not official numbers but just generalizations.

I'll admit my experience is based on construction materials and not retail product but anyone who has any knowledge of having to have product produced on a large scale knows that in order to work out a) best pricing/cost, and b) guaranteed production dates and times from the producers, one must first commit to purchasing either a certain amount of raw material or a certain amount of finished product, especially for the manufacturers based in the countries they are in. The producer has to be guaranteed to produce a certain number of finished units to even fire up the production line, meaning they are not gonna gear up and set deadlines to do 100,000 figures and then let customer come back tack on another 20,000 at a later date without an entirely new set-up agreement (set up fees) and without another major price negotiation. Additionally, the customer is not going to go through the entire process of another set-up agreement unless they foresee a major profit gain from doing so.

Basically what I'm saying is it's not likely that Hasbro fired up the production line to reproduce the same old figures specifically to do this Legacy Wave. What's more likely is the manufacturer produced an agreed upon amount of unassembled, unpainted, unfinished and unboxed parts (BAF parts included), as they are all different and separate processes, until it was decided by Hasbro if they were needed for restock or could be utilized at a future date, such as this Legacy Wave. Also leaving a certain amount of product unpainted means that it can be recycled unblemished, and reused for future product.

Now the argument is always gonna be alive as to how well the BP waves actually sold. It may not be the case everywhere but from what I saw in my travels within the country was a too much product left on the shelves and a lot of product on clearance and discount stores, specifically with a lot of the figures in this wave. The buyers at stores like Walmart and Target only agree to buy an initial amount of product and maybe one or two restocks because they want to find out if the product will sell. On the other hand it is in Hasbro's best interest to have a certain amount of finished product ready in their own stock case stores do require restock. Left unsold, that is the product that goes to online overstock sites or stores like Ross and Marshalls with a sizeable mark down. One may ask why very few, if any at all figures like Iron Man and Namor ended up in those discount venues if that was the case, well that's where sales from online stores and pre-orders, who don't necessarily by full sets, come into play. That's why some people get their pre-orders almost as soon as the product is release and some have to wait months. For instance, the Stiltman wave. A lot of people who ordered them in sets or cases were getting their orders right away, but if you ordered multiples of the Hand Ninja alone we were waiting months and months for that order to be completed. They were being pulled from and maybe even finished from Hasbro's stock while a few of the other figures weren't even selling off the store shelves.

How well the initial waves sold versus how previous or subsequent waves sold is almost insignificant to the fact that it is easily feasible that Hasbro could have overshot the amount of product they thought they needed and had the product over produced, and now 5 years later, after a big event like Endgame, after some regret by some buyers that they didn't get the first wave, after some renewed interest in the movie and characters, after some new fans to the Marvel franchises and maybe some completionist fans and fans of redecos they thought they might be able to offload some of this left over product and recover some cost.

Again, it is more likely, and much less risky for Hasbro to use a little bit of paint and a little bit of cardboard to reissue some unfinished product rather than go through the process of restarting and reproducing these figures that have a really questionable amount of mass appeal.

dude....... that's now how toy production works

this is especially stupid because it's not even the first time Hasbro's done one of these waves of reissuing MCU figures

Yeesh that Iron Heart is fugly... seems the only miss so far though,  I like the Aztec look for Namor ( though i agree with Mike D, he shouldbe way more buff for being a life long swimmer. Could have done without the nude pics for comparison thougb haha), Attuma etc.. Nakia has an interesting look and the actress is stunning so she could be wearing a paper bag and make it look good.

Jury is out for the film still..still feels like Hulk Hogan v Leaping Lanny since TChalla is MIA..

After how cool her mark 1 armor looked and how cool an interpretation it was from the comic I really expected her upgrade armor to look a lot cooler. Whatever, I guess they were trying to be unique from Iron Man and I'm guessing it'll take a few movies till she develops her "final" look.

If you want this figure you better pre-order. This is just another swap bait.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, monron999 said:

I understand your idea about production minimums, but what you’re describing is unfeasible to say the least. 

1. Storing things is expensive, and virtually all modern supply chains are designed to limit or eliminate having product on hand doing nothing. Your idea would have required Hasbro to store thousands (tens of thousands?) of half finished figures for five years. Any accountant would have a heart attack at that idea. It would literally be more cost effective to destroy the entire lot than to just sit on them for no reason.   

2.  Your idea would mean that they were still producing BP figures at the factory months after they hit retail and decided that they weren’t selling well. There is no way that happened. The manufacturing would have been finished well before then, possibly even before the first figures were hitting stores. 

3. Hasbro does similar reissues like this wave ALL THE TIME. Their production pipeline is clearly able to spin up to make reissues/repaints without too much hassle.

4. Again, your narrative is entirely dependent on the idea that the original BP wave didn’t sell well, but you appear to be the only one who remembers that being the case. 

As I said originally, the idea that these are somehow leftover figures just isn’t reasonable. 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:08 PM, glhshelby said:

I understand your idea about production minimums, but what you’re describing is unfeasible to say the least. 

1. Storing things is expensive, and virtually all modern supply chains are designed to limit or eliminate having product on hand doing nothing. Your idea would have required Hasbro to store thousands (tens of thousands?) of half finished figures for five years. Any accountant would have a heart attack at that idea. It would literally be more cost effective to destroy the entire lot than to just sit on them for no reason.   

2.  Your idea would mean that they were still producing BP figures at the factory months after they hit retail and decided that they weren’t selling well. There is no way that happened. The manufacturing would have been finished well before then, possibly even before the first figures were hitting stores. 

3. Hasbro does similar reissues like this wave ALL THE TIME. Their production pipeline is clearly able to spin up to make reissues/repaints without too much hassle.

4. Again, your narrative is entirely dependent on the idea that the original BP wave didn’t sell well, but you appear to be the only one who remembers that being the case. 

As I said originally, the idea that these are somehow leftover figures just isn’t reasonable. 

1. To think Hasbro doesn't have it's own storage facilities on either US soil or in the country where they actually have the product done is illogical. I worked for a company that had hundreds decommissioned shipping containers on their own land that they used to store stock in. I promise you no one at Hasbro was going down to the local Store 'N' Shed with thousand of boxes of action figures.

2. I said nothing about them producing product months after the initial run. It doesn't work that way. You contract an amount of product, they do it and if you want more product you negotiate another quantity and price for that quantity. I'm saying Hasbro overshot the quantity they needed and rather than finish the product with paint and boxing they held the unpainted product to be a) used at a later date as they've done here, with new deco, or b) recycle it to be used in future product, because though painted material can be recycled and it will be structurally usable the natural finish will be streaky and muddled and blotchy which means the entire product would have to be painted

3. The only ones I can think of that were done in a similar fashion are the Avengers wave(s) that were exclusive to the UK and a the MCU 10 Years sets, but I would argue that, as movie figures those could have fallen under the same overproduction reasons. Any other figures I can think of were either singles like the widely popular Rogue that could have easily be worth the trouble of going back into product, plus she had a new part, the gloved hand, that everyone needed. I think you can still order them at Target as well. Maybe the Walmart Exclusive Black Panther but that used a stock body with new paint deco and the same head sculpt as the previous figures.

4. No, not sure how long you've been here, I suppose I can just check your profile, but there were several people posting that these things were lingering on the shelves at their local stores and were showing up at discount stores such as TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ollie's and the such. Either way, I said from the start that it's just what I saw everywhere I went as I travelled around the country. I travelled extensively during that time and though it was less prominent at places like Target or Walmart the Toys R Us' I went to had entire wall displays full of movie figures. Not like Hasbro's gonna tell us if this is the way it really happened or not.

I don't see what you think is so unreasonable about it. When a company, such as the one I worked for had extra material, say 12,000 ft. of bronze painted aluminum stock, and a design company brought me in to consult on what can be done and at what time frame, guess who was trying to sell them on bronze painted aluminum, and wouldn't you know, if you make that call ASAP I might be able to have an order rushed out to you. It wasn't shady, it wasn't crooked, and ultimately the customer got what they wanted, but if I got that customer what they wanted and I got rid of some of my overstock and I was able to offload it at full price, and maybe the customer was able to pull the job in a little ahead of schedule because of it, yay for everyone involved.

Either way, I'm really over this argument. I just assumed you were too. I'm not saying this is right or wrong. I'm saying this is clear to me from my experience. I've already seen these figures come and go in my neck of the woods. From what I see they actually sold very well, but I do think it looks like not near as much stock was ordered this time and the upcoming movie clearly drummed up a lot of new interest. Good for them.