Cheapest Repaint Line That Could Succeed?

Chunkylover

This thread is inspired by the recent Wolverine 5-pack that used easy repaints to give us new figures. What is the best line that could be released that would only require Hasbro to repaint an existing figure and maybe mold a new head sculpt?

Vertigo - Could probably be made from any medium female body style. It should be an easy repaint and would require a headsculpt.

Archangel - 90's blue and white costume with blue skin and long hair. Could be made from the previous Archangel figure.

Rogue - First appearance green and white hooded costume repainted from the recent 2-pack version with better headsculpts. I'd want an accurate early version and a 90's Bachalo-esque version.

Wolverine - Fang. Obligatory. Should be easy. I'm not sure how easy the bone and tooth belts would be, but they could be as simple as rubber bands like the infamous Jim Lee Cyclops.

Havok - Mutant X or Dark Beast Minion. Repaint the new Havok with a new head sculpt. Would need belts or shoulder straps.

Zero - Super cheap and easy repaint.

Stryfe - The aftermarket shows high demand for this figure. I'm not sure if it needs any improvments.

BAF  Ch'od - In my limited research, it looks like he and Abomination are very similar. Could be as easy as a repaint, and packing in that little white bird thing.

What do you all think? Would you buy this line? What is the easiest retool lineup you can come up with?

On 7/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, Chunkylover said:

Sure. I'm not hip to the lingo. Does filler carry a negative connotation?

Not really. They are just wave that Hasbro make when they have to replace a wave due to Scheduling with the MCU and other movies. I mean look at the latest Spider-man reveals. All figure with old bodies and new heads.

Ah okay here's my try. I'm going to go with reallly easy, like just swap a head.

1. Werewolf By Night (Jackal figure with new Head, obviously new paint)

2. Doorman (Vulcan buck, with a black Spidey head and Moonknight Cape)

3. Shroud (Grimreaped Buck, Guardian head, Moonknight cape again)

4. Ebon Samurai (literal re-paint of Silver Samurai)

5. Spot (Sunfire Buck, paint with spots,  any head removing any facial features)

6. Will'o the Wisp (Grimreaper Buck, toss the old Sentry head on it)

7. Big Time Spider-Man (Red) (exact same figure as before but green is red)

BAF Captain Universe Hulk aka Blue Hulk (same old hulk 80th Hulk just paint it differently)

Now maybe this wouldn't be a huge success, but I bet you most of you guys would buy it because I put so many never before done characters in it, and this wave would likely be almost nothing but profit, because I literally only added 1 new head, which was 1 new tool piece

On 7/25/2022 at 9:47 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Ah okay here's my try. I'm going to go with reallly easy, like just swap a head.

1. Werewolf By Night (Jackal figure with new Head, obviously new paint)

2. Doorman (Vulcan buck, with a black Spidey head and Moonknight Cape)

3. Shroud (Grimreaped Buck, Guardian head, Moonknight cape again)

4. Ebon Samurai (literal re-paint of Silver Samurai)

5. Spot (Sunfire Buck, paint with spots,  any head removing any facial features)

6. Will'o the Wisp (Grimreaper Buck, toss the old Sentry head on it)

BAF Captain Universe Hulk aka Blue Hulk (same old hulk 80th Hulk just paint it differently)

Now maybe this wouldn't be a huge success, but I bet you most of you guys would buy it because I put so many never before done characters in it, and this wave would likely be almost nothing but profit, because I literally only added 1 new head, which was 1 new tool piece

Thanks for your post, and for getting into the spirit of the thread.

If I may interact with your post, is there a version of Spider-Man that has not yet been done that could be squeezed into your line? Obviously it’s not that our ideas ever would see fruition, but with a Spider-Man, I think it is more likely that yours could!

On 7/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, tarot said:

Not really. They are just wave that Hasbro make when they have to replace a wave due to Scheduling with the MCU and other movies. I mean look at the latest Spider-man reveals. All figure with old bodies and new heads.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I think back to the X-Men line that featured Patch, Dazzler, Iceman, and X-Factor Cyclops. That one had to be mostly a filler wave, but it gave us really good versions of characters that I think were fairly popular.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:11 AM, Chunkylover said:

Thanks for your post, and for getting into the spirit of the thread.

If I may interact with your post, is there a version of Spider-Man that has not yet been done that could be squeezed into your line? Obviously it’s not that our ideas ever would see fruition, but with a Spider-Man, I think it is more likely that yours could!

Ha good call, sure we can add a Spider-Man in there, how about a re-paint of Big Time Spider-Man the Red Version.

Spider-Man cheap wave

1. Ben Reilly Concept Spider-Man (aka Toy Biz Sea Web Spider-man) - pIck a  Spidey Body, new paint job
  2. The Spot - Pick a body, Blizzard head 
  3. Jill Stacy - Black haired Gwen, MJ Body
  4. The Rose - Suited body, new head
  5. Aaron Davis's Iron Spider - Black Iron Spider, new pack with extra waldo
  6. Kingsley HobGoblin, Hobgoblin body, new head

BAF Grizzly - URsa Major body, new Head

• 2 weeks later...

Cool idea. I’m a huge Avengers fan but fear certain characters from other books ( XMen for example ) that were (very) briefly Avengers are longshots to ever get done. A repaint wave could be just the ticket

1 Sunspot ( Avengers suit)

2 Cannonball (Avengers suit)

3 Human Torch ( Avengers Unity Squad suit)

4 the Thing ( solo series / West Coast Avengers era suit)

5 Wasp ( Secret Wars suit or Under Siege suit)

6 Falcon (classic suit)

7 Triathlon ( either first appearance or his “more popular” ( a stretch I know) suit during the Kang War era. Or shoot, even his 3D Man suit would work.

maybe 1 new head for the entire wave ( Triathlon, unless I’m forgetting a goggled head out there). The rest are complete repaints.

If you don't mind me hijacking this thread how about we do what would be next years Amazon "Repaint and Reuse" Box set. Like the last 2 box set they all have to be using old sculpt with at least a new head or just a straight repaint. 

I'll start. Since they did a Wolverine and Spider-man box set, the logical choice would be Iron Man

• War Machine - a repaint of the Modular Iron Man
  • Bethany Cabe - Deadly White Widow
  • Unicorn - Bucky/Vulcon build
  • Dreadknight - Same as before just getting it out to more people
  • Force - Grim Reaper body

On 8/11/2022 at 11:59 PM, tarot said:

If you don't mind me hijacking this thread how about we do what would be next years Amazon "Repaint and Reuse" Box set. Like the last 2 box set they all have to be using old sculpt with at least a new head or just a straight repaint. 

I'll start. Since they did a Wolverine and Spider-man box set, the logical choice would be Iron Man

I like this set, I would still prefer Dreadknight to have his Hellhorse, but I woudl still be happy to get him.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:07 AM, leokearon said:

Spider-Man cheap wave

1. Ben Reilly Concept Spider-Man (aka Toy Biz Sea Web Spider-man) - pIck a  Spidey Body, new paint job
  2. The Spot - Pick a body, Blizzard head 
  3. Jill Stacy - Black haired Gwen, MJ Body
  4. The Rose - Suited body, new head
  5. Aaron Davis's Iron Spider - Black Iron Spider, new pack with extra waldo
  6. Kingsley HobGoblin, Hobgoblin body, new head

BAF Grizzly - URsa Major body, new Head

That one would probably do pretty well. Some neat Spider-Man alternate costumes. The Iron Spider design is really cool.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, McHogan said:

Cool idea. I’m a huge Avengers fan but fear certain characters from other books ( XMen for example ) that were (very) briefly Avengers are longshots to ever get done. A repaint wave could be just the ticket

1 Sunspot ( Avengers suit)

2 Cannonball (Avengers suit)

3 Human Torch ( Avengers Unity Squad suit)

4 the Thing ( solo series / West Coast Avengers era suit)

5 Wasp ( Secret Wars suit or Under Siege suit)

6 Falcon (classic suit)

7 Triathlon ( either first appearance or his “more popular” ( a stretch I know) suit during the Kang War era. Or shoot, even his 3D Man suit would work.

maybe 1 new head for the entire wave ( Triathlon, unless I’m forgetting a goggled head out there). The rest are complete repaints.

I don't know what any of these look like except Secret Wars Wasp and Triathlon. I always wanted him for the Post-Heroes Reborn era. He was a cool, regular-guy super hero.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, tarot said:

Yeah, no prob. That's the spirit of the thread, I suppose. Nice box set. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:18 AM, Chunkylover said:

I don't know what any of these look like except Secret Wars Wasp and Triathlon. I always wanted him for the Post-Heroes Reborn era. He was a cool, regular-guy super hero.

Well honestly you’re not missing much. The costumes i listed are... not great. But they were worn  by the characters in an official Marvel Avengers book so they are the ones I’d want.

the Things was a wrestling style double singlet, black with a red belt. I’m sure you’ve seen classic Flacon, he wore that for the entirety of the 80s. Torch’s A suit was another over engineered mess. 

Yeah all longshots for sure

On 8/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, tarot said:

Great idea as well. I’ll do a Cap Boxset

in the spirit of the headliner not being just a repack ( ala shirtless Wolverine and Ultimate teen Spidey)....

Armored Cap. No redeeming qualities for this guy but maybe the only way he gets released. Maybe on Civil Warrior body with new head??

Machinesmith. A guy in a jumpsuit could use Red Skulls pjs. Could get  Pym scientific adventurer suit out of that

Baron Strucker

Henry Gyrich. Suited body, mean ginger head.

Flag Smasher could prob repaint a Hydra strong goon

this could be done with minimal tooling, certainly for less than the Spidey set..

• 3 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, Chunkylover said:

Vertigo

Archangel

Rogue

Wolverine - Fang

Havok - Mutant X or Dark Beast Minion

Zero

Stryfe

BAF  Ch'od

I didn’t do too bad on my suggestions, I think. Fang is coming next year and will probably be a simple retool. I don’t think anyone would be surprised if Ch’od is the BAF.

Zero, Stryfe, and Vertigo as part of that awesome looking 5-pack makes me better than 50%.

• 1 year later...

I know people don't like the repaint or filler waves, but I look at them as financially vital at the moment for Hasbro. I know we have different opinions here, but I don't think a financial downturn was what Hasbro wanted, but in order for them to weather the difficult straits, they must make shrewd decisions that might not be what collectors would prefer, all things being equal.

It is in that spirit that I decided to re-visit this thread. I also wanted to see how we did in our "suggestions", and come up with some more ideas that might get us what we want while also giving Hasbro what they want. The best business transactions are the ones in which both sides win.

First, Stryfe, Zero, Vertigo, Ch'od, the Rose, and War Machine were all released. I might have missed some. We didn't get a Wolverine compatible Fang, which is too bad, but that was released as well.

Looking forward I think some combination of these figures in a wave or box set would sell well and satisfy collectors. I tried not to start any new teams.

Jean Grey - blue and yellow X-Men costume with new Jean head and alternate Cecilia Reyes head, include colored Invisible Woman shield effect that could work for either character. Jean only wore this for a few issues before X-Men #1, and Cecilia had a slightly modified X-Men costume in some pictures, but I think the Psylocke from the 3-pack would work for both characters.

Prism - Marauder. Weird head. I'm not sure if it would be better painted or translucent. Maybe clear with some interesting paint apps? Could that work?

Shadowcat - blue and yellow costume based on 3-pack Jubilee. New head. Maybe have one with hair and one with the mask. The question would be whether to go with the same bright blue, or the darker navy blue she had in the comics.

Smasher - another Shi'ar guy, kind of looks like Wonderman. They could probably use a Vulcan buck with little modifications.

Storm - silver Jim Lee era costume. I'm not sure why they haven't done this yet. Maybe silver paint is expensive? I don't know. I would prefer it with the VHS animated wave head. Alternatively, they could do Storm in her Outback costume with Silvestri style hair. It's basically the same as the Jim Lee costume just lacking the shoulder X's.

Reaper - MLF guy. His costume could be pulled off using the Tombstone body with the high collar. He had a few different styles, but they could go with the all black one. They could include some alternate hands to hold his scythe, or attach his wrist mounted one.

Wolverine - Albert or Team X costume. Albert could be easy to make, or easy to screw up. If they came close, like they did with Skullbuster, it could work. Team X is basically the Patch costume with some shoulder pads and straps.

BAF Colossus - Outback costume. It wouldn't require too much modification of the AoA Colossus BAF; new head, fewer costume accessories.

What do you all think?

Decided to come back to this, here's a second wave

Iron Man (Neo Classic) (just give the old one some new legs)
Flatman (just repaint Mr. Fantastic really)
Trickshot (just basically re-paint a Hawkeye)
Blazing Skull (Basically Orb figure, remove head, change belt)
Human Torch (Jim Hammond) (just re-paint the recent Torch)
D-Man (Yellow DD Body, Wolverine Head)
Madame Masque (Re-Paint Viper, give a new head)

BAF = A-Bomb (pretty much just re-paint Abomination/Ch'od add a new head, make him a bit taller just to be cool)

On 1/19/2024 at 12:08 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

BAF = A-Bomb (pretty much just re-paint Abomination/Ch'od add a new head, make him a bit taller just to be cool)

I don’t know who you Trickshot or Blazing Skull, but they sound neat.

It’s nice that it would be possible to give collectors some figures they’ve been waiting for, with little overhead.

I think a line like that would do well. Iron Man as an anchor. Nice diversity between male/female and hero/villain.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:08 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Those are pretty cool. They would be some easy makes. The only one I think I would change is maybe the D-Man recipe. The whole thing about him is he was a bigger guy. Wasn't it? Not that it make a difference these days since it's clearly apparent Marvel seems to be actively going back and retconning the characters' physical statistics to match the MCU. I guess. But that was kind of the thing during his FA. He was basically a bigger dude wearing a costume modeled after his favorite heroes. DD and Wolverine. I'd say maybe the Odinson model would work better. Or at the very least the Reaper model. Not being nitpicky because it wouldn't matter either way. Hasbro would just do what Hasbro does. But it might be nice for them to get it right sometime.