Marvel Legends Amazon Exclusive Comic Based Gorr Revealed

JayC

Hasbro today revealed a new comic based Gorr Marvel Legends figure that will be offered as a Amazon exclusive tomorrow (8/30) at 1pm ET.

(HASBRO/Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $29.99/Available: October 2022
Wielding the dreaded Necrosword, the being known only as Gorr sets out on a path of vengeance across time and space, and only Thor can stop him! Celebrate the MARVEL UNIVERSE with this MARVEL LEGENDS SERIES GORR figure. This quality 6-inch scale Gorr figure recreates the God-Butcher’s fearsome visage from his premiere appearance in Marvel Comics’ Thor: God of Thunder. The figure features extensive articulation for capturing all of Gorr’s vengeful determination in display and play. Comes with 2 accessories including an alternate head and hand should you feel like separating the villain from his legendary Necrosword.

Gorr-01.jpg

Gorr-02.jpg

Gorr-03.jpg

Gorr-04.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, tarot said:

Instant buy. I only bought the MCU version because I thought they wouldn't do the comic version for a good while.

I 100% agree with this. The figure looks fantastic! Puts that Christian Bale version to shame.

well, seems like ML has officially gone the route of Black Series, where you have the standard price waves but then everything else varies from figure to figure/set  with little rhyme or reason.  I don't mind for big BAF sized figures like Rhino but its hard to justify $30 for a figure with one sword, extra head, and one extra hand.  otoh i know in the past some posters have argued that BAFs should be based a bit more around how much new, and more importantly, unique, tooling is required rather than strictly beng about getting "big" figures. this seems kind of along those lines except that i don't see much other than the heads that couldn't be re-used later for a re-release or for other characters.  compare to something like the old BAF Warlock for which none of the parts was ever re-used iirc. 

in short i will probably pick this guy up if i can score him on sale, but its gonna have to be a big sale as even $25 is hard for me to stomach, would prefer to pay $23 or less but we'll have to see.  i don't really see him being a huge seller tbh, not many thor-related characters are altho he's one of my favorite marvel heroes

Dayaaaam! Now that's a good looking figure! You want my money from now on Hasbro, this is the way you're gonna have to do it. That being said, I'm none too happy with the price tag on this one either but at least they put a good product out to coax out our wallet. The way they did the All-Black is exactly how it should look.

I think this is gonna be the new norm. Waves are gonna be 90 percent Movie/TV/Game product and everything else is gonna fall under "Special Editions" and exclusives. Ultimately it means I start to slim down my selections to only things I really want, where before I was compelled to buy full waves to get a BAF that I wanted or multi-packs that contained figures I wanted. It's causing me to be more scrutinous and I'm starting to like it. For example, the recent Spider-Man 5 pack is something I wouldn't have let pass me by last year, but now the temptation of the two new figures does not outweigh the laziness and cost of the rest of the product. This figure on the other hand just strikes me and it is something I was really hoping for and it looks great and I will be spending my money on it. So I guess in the end Hasbro has helped me become a more discerning collector.

Great to see the comic version, lousy to see the unjustified price. Pass. Maybe, maybe if they had it on an updated pinless buck and some additional accessories, I would have considered it. But for now, either wait till it goes on sale or just do without. The best point here for me is that they didn't take 12 years to do it. Be nice if classic Surtur was coming.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, Atlantis said:

Maybe, maybe if they had it on an updated pinless buck and some additional accessories, I would have considered it.

I'm thinking they may have had this planned for release earlier but were told to hold off because they learnt that he was going to be the main villain in L+T. Thus the reason he is using an older sculpt.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, tarot said:

I'm thinking they may have had this planned for release earlier but were told to hold off because they learnt that he was going to be the main villain in L+T. Thus the reason he is using an older sculpt.

It is an older buck but an underutilized one. If I'm not mistaken it's the Classic Namor buck which is a retooled version of the Reaper buck with better proportions and details, and IMO a much better body mold. This is the mold figures like Silver Surfer and Firelord should have been done on. Maybe somewhere down the line they'll add butterflies to it and then we can get accurate figures of these 6'4"/6'5" characters without them settling for that idiotic Sunfire buck.

Looks great, I'll definitely get this one, but like everyone else has said, the price is ridiculous.  I was hoping we'd get a year or so before hitting $30.  Guess I'll just skip a couple figures to justify it.  Something tells me the amount of money Hasbro makes with these price hikes isn't getting them far, I know I'm cancelling pre-orders usually two previous ones for every new figure they show that I want.  

On 8/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, Virtualzach said:

Great figure.  Somehow worth yet another price hike.  Must be because of all the extra expensive plastic.  

The plastic here isn't anymore special than anything else. Its a good figure and I'm pleased the comic version is coming out closely with the MCU, but there's nothing here to justify the price. This isn't a new mold, it doesn't have any special feature that any other figure lacks....Hey people are gonna buy what they're gonna buy, hasbro is counting on that fomo and its paying off for them. For me, I'll wait for a price mark-down...or just do without. 

Seem like hasbro is content with collectors buying fewer figures as long as they are paying more money for them.  Not sure if that strategy is viable when you are pumping out 150 figures  a year but guess we're going to find out.  All i know is that i've gone from a peak in 2018 of 91 figures purchased plus 7 BAFs completed to a total of 11 purchases thus far in 2022 with no BAFs completed. That's a pretty steep dropoff (altho in fairness i'll say i'm pretty happy with the quality of those  11 figures)   Some of it is character selection of course (it being an mcu heavy year just as i've scaled back on collecting mcu doesn't help)  -- and  when you have a big collection a lot of characters have already been covered.  but a lot of it is just being unable to come to terms with paying $25 for ordinary, no-frllls ML figures, at least thus far. 

For the curious - the 11 figures are 

1. zemo
  2. jigsaw
  3. hammerhead
  4. psycho-man (clearance)
  5. high evolutionary (clearance)
  6. MCU Wong (target sale)
  7. Morlun (clearance)
  8. invisible Sue  (pulse sale)
  9. retro Torch (pulse sale)
  10. 20th Hulk (gamestop sale)
  11. Retro Rhino (gamestop sale)

So basically paid full price for Hammerhead and 2 exclusives, altho i think Hammerhead was stll at the $23 price point.

Are others have as much trouble as i am bringing themselves to shell out $25 for figures?  Maybe its just me.  Doesn't help that about 90% of MLs get marked down at some point or another, so it pays to be patient.  

On 8/30/2022 at 6:41 AM, bashpics99 said:

For the curious - the 11 figures are 

1. zemo
  2. jigsaw
  3. hammerhead
  4. psycho-man (clearance)
  5. high evolutionary (clearance)
  6. MCU Wong (target sale)
  7. Morlun (clearance)
  8. invisible Sue  (pulse sale)
  9. retro Torch (pulse sale)
  10. 20th Hulk (gamestop sale)
  11. Retro Rhino (gamestop sale)

So basically paid full price for Hammerhead and 2 exclusives, altho i think Hammerhead was stll at the $23 price point.

Are others have as much trouble as i am bringing themselves to shell out $25 for figures?  Maybe its just me.  Doesn't help that about 90% of MLs get marked down at some point or another, so it pays to be patient.  

That's impressive. I hope my list looks similar by year's end, but I'm already behind cuz I bought both the Bonebreaker and Controller wave, but those were both comic based so I'm cool with it. I just have to learn a little more self control like waiting on the Hulk and Rhino to hit the sale. I did let FOMO get the best of me one those two. What really surprised me was how quickly the Psycho-Man and High Evo went on clearance. I found them on clearance at Target before my pre-orders even shipped out so I was able to cancel them but those were some well done figures with new sculpts and parts. I knew the original F4 would probably stall on the pegs, and they did, but I was really surprised by those two.