Marvel Legends Amazon Exclusive Comic Based Gorr Revealed

JayC

On 8/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, monron999 said:

That's impressive. I hope my list looks similar by year's end, but I'm already behind cuz I bought both the Bonebreaker and Controller wave, but those were both comic based so I'm cool with it. I just have to learn a little more self control like waiting on the Hulk and Rhino to hit the sale. I did let FOMO get the best of me one those two. What really surprised me was how quickly the Psycho-Man and High Evo went on clearance. I found them on clearance at Target before my pre-orders even shipped out so I was able to cancel them but those were some well done figures with new sculpts and parts. I knew the original F4 would probably stall on the pegs, and they did, but I was really surprised by those two.

well to be fair Psycho man and HE are not that well known. Fantastic figures and some of the best of the year but not known outside of hardcore comic readers.

For once I'm gonna side with the Yunmeister. Pins don't concern me all that much. Looking at how long it took them to build up the stable of molds that they use for comic based figures up till now I think it's actually unrealistic to expect all figures from this point on to be pinless. You gotta understand Hasbro tries to get as much use out of every mold as it can and the majority of them have pins. Some of those molds are fairly current and we should expect they'll continue to have pins until they are discontinued. I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna have to have pins at least give me a great head sculpt, a somewhat scale accurate body mold and some spot on accessories and I'm in, and this has all of them. Hell, it could be much worse. They coulda used the Sunfire buck on this one and it still has pins too.

MCU figures are a different animal. They are the favored product and they are the perceived more profitable subset of the line (inaccurately IMO), so they pretty much all get new pinless molds for every movie.

@monron999 I agree. if a mold suits the character and the figure looks great who cares if it has pins or not. I mean their toys at the end of the days that we collect and usually just put on a shelf. If it has a proper silhouette and looks great next to other, pins will be less noticeable.

Honestly Hasbro shot themselves in the foot when they even announced pinless molds. Now every time there is a new figure with pins, people whine about it. If a figure looks good, it looks good.

Pins don't bother me as much but if its a new figure, and especially if its at this price, it needs to have something to distinguish it from the older ones in the line. Pins would have at least given something to this.  Just consider this....deluxe Thanos came out a year ago, at the same price as this one. In fact I think you can now get him online for a few bucks more ($30-32.00).  But whether they use pins or not, I want the figures to be accurate to the character, be available, and sold at a reasonable price. 

It's not that I think every figure should have pins, but for a figure that has nothing more than a BAF wave figure like Controller wave Thor or a lot of the recent MCU offerings and yet costs $5 more for some reason, they could have at least given him pinless arms and legs, maybe then he could have had his proper chicken legs too. And even on non-Spider-Man figures, pinless just looks better, it's so much cleaner. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, Legender said:

We all know this figure will go for clearance ... is dumb to overprice it for no reason knowing that 50% of the people will wait for it!

Yeah I tend to agree here. With some past exclusives they had blink and you missed them release windows. The Hugh Jackman Wolverine, Children of Thanos and the Dr Ock/ Silk sets spring to mind. 

Others like the Wolverine 5 pack, the Spidey 5 pack and Gorr ( so far ) are still readily available. I can’t speak to why this is as I bought the Wolverine set 75% because I thought the shirtless Wolverine was cool. Yeah... I was THAT guy.. the Spidey Set has at least 2 really cool new characters and so far I’ve been content to wait for Prime Day sale or some other such discount. 

Gorr is another I can’t say I’m surprised is still available ( as if this post, about 10 hours after pre-orders went live). He is kinda niche and while cool looking, he is kinda “meh” as far as MY excitement for adding him to my collection. 

And of course the price / packaging thing has greatly reduced my desire to grab him. 

Also, I’m in the camp of pins/ pinless makes zero difference to me. On most Spidey figures it could look nice to not see those familiar red pins on the blue parts but on this Gorr figure I barely realize they are there. I don’t need my action figures to be pinless but under the right circumstances it can enhance a figure. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, Legender said:

We all know this figure will go for clearance ... is dumb to overprice it for no reason knowing that 50% of the people will wait for it!

I don't think thats a given, with Amazon exclusives it tends to be more it appears and never appears again, not always do these figures go to clearance, I can think of a non Legend figure the Arctic Mission Storm Shadow.. that was a real bad bumble, and what about The Movie Origins Wolverine? Age of Ultron multi pack? Sentinel & Wolvie (DOFP), Children of Thanos Set, I don't think we can just say it's a given it will go on clearance only a handful of Amazon stuff has, I think this figure could be a potential blink and miss it deal, never just assume.

Yeah i dunno. "clearance" is kind of a nebulous term when it comes to amazon, but generally i think most amazon exclusives do get marked down at some point, sometimes just a 1-day sale with a limited stock set aside though.  But i just don't see comic Gorr as being anywhere near as popular as tank top Logan or the Children of Thanos set. And i think those actually were on sale below full price at some point or another, altho not necessarily at a huge discount or for very long. but i could be wrong about that.

Bottom line if he's a must-have for your collection, pre-order now.  if you're on the fence might be worth waiting, especially if you have a limited budget for ML figures. imo of course

• 1 month later...

The release of this figure was surprising to me. Not only was it way after the movie release, but since we got a movie version, I didn't expect a comic version... especially since the movie had such mixed reviews due its tonal rollercoaster ride. Anyway, I have pre-ordered it and hopefully it ships soon. Thor being my thing, I welcome any and all never-made-in-plastic characters from his storylines. I know it's a dead horse at this point, but all the years of pent-up demand for getting Thor's allies will hopefully lead to a Thor comic wave/box/2-5 pack at some point. Heimdall, Balder, the Warriors Three, maybe even a classic John Buscema style Odin are all on my want list, and quite a few other collectors on this board it seems.  Some of the figures planned for 2023 tell me Hasbro listens to 'some' of our constant requests - Dark Pheonix re-released, Avalanche, new Spiral, the Destroyer, the Super Adaptoid, Dr. Spectrum, new Banshee, etc. Although the Thor cast of characters isn't as widely in demand as say X-men or Avengers related ones, they have been consistently requested over the years. Maybe this will lead to some surprising 2024 releases. And still waiting for my comic version Surtur... could happen, lol!

On 10/19/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jormungand said:

The release of this figure was surprising to me. Not only was it way after the movie release, but since we got a movie version, I didn't expect a comic version... especially since the movie had such mixed reviews due its tonal rollercoaster ride. Anyway, I have pre-ordered it and hopefully it ships soon. Thor being my thing, I welcome any and all never-made-in-plastic characters from his storylines. I know it's a dead horse at this point, but all the years of pent-up demand for getting Thor's allies will hopefully lead to a Thor comic wave/box/2-5 pack at some point. Heimdall, Balder, the Warriors Three, maybe even a classic John Buscema style Odin are all on my want list, and quite a few other collectors on this board it seems.  Some of the figures planned for 2023 tell me Hasbro listens to 'some' of our constant requests - Dark Pheonix re-released, Avalanche, new Spiral, the Destroyer, the Super Adaptoid, Dr. Spectrum, new Banshee, etc. Although the Thor cast of characters isn't as widely in demand as say X-men or Avengers related ones, they have been consistently requested over the years. Maybe this will lead to some surprising 2024 releases. And still waiting for my comic version Surtur... could happen, lol!

I think all the characters on your want list are sought after by most and Hasbro has heard our cries, so hopefully we will see all of them soon.  Retro Comic versions of Warriors Three, Powerman and Iron Fist, Yondu, Drax, and Ronan are all characters I am sort of shocked we haven't gotten yet. 

The face sculpts and printing look absolutely wonderful, and the figure overall does look great.... just still not $30 great.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, Psychosomatic said:

I think all the characters on your want list are sought after by most and Hasbro has heard our cries, so hopefully we will see all of them soon.  Retro Comic versions of Warriors Three, Powerman and Iron Fist, Yondu, Drax, and Ronan are all characters I am sort of shocked we haven't gotten yet. 

Especially Classic Power-Man and Iron Fist, those are INSANELY overdue.  I think now we've got a better Big body to put Luke on; the Hercules body would give him the right bulk and height without having the proportions of the Hyperion body or its more recent variants, which I think is still a good body but ill-fitting for Luke.

For Danny though.... would he be better on the Renew Your Vows Spidey body, or would he be a good fit for that version of the Sunfire body they made for Shang-Chi that had slightly more muscular arms and (especially) bigger shoulders that fix the proportions of the body, that for some reason they never used after Shang-Chi?

• 4 weeks later...

After getting this guy out of the box recently, he is easily one of my favourite figures of this year, it's awesome when Hasbro does a great job on a figure, the head sculpts have great detail, overall this figure has an awesome shelf presence.

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

After getting this guy out of the box recently, he is easily one of my favourite figures of this year, it's awesome when Hasbro does a great job on a figure, the head sculpts have great detail, overall this figure has an awesome shelf presence.

Totally agree. This is my favorite figure in a long time. Seeing this only makes me that much sadder to how they nerfed this guy in the movie.

• 4 months later...

That Wolvie 5 pack for 60 bucks has me debating.  Does anyone have this set? Is it even worth 60? I don't like the sculpt on Callista, the one woman figure who should not be stacked. And it's the wrong look for Mastermind, need the trenchcoat. Still kinda want them though. Never got Omega Red. Idk I've passed this many times.