Disney+ Armor Wars Series Starring Don Cheadle As War Machine Still Coming

JayC

On 9/11/2022 at 3:19 AM, leokearon said:

So it still exists but still nothing on it

Ha guess so, they are just reminding us it didn't get canned, it's likely on hold because Don's been doing a bunch of stuff lately and maybe has not had the time to start shooting...looks like Rhodey plays a big part in Secret Invasion.

• 3 weeks later...
According to THR, Armor Wars which was originally slated as being a Disney+ Series is now going to be developed as a full-fledged movie which will feature Don Cheadle returning as James Rhodes/War Machine. No word on when the movie will be released or who will be directing it.

Interesting development. Although I was looking forward to the story being delivered in a serialized format (and with 5+ hours of total running time), a movie might be for the best, considering the plot would tentatively be pretty straightforward. A lot of the D+ shows have suffered from pacing issues, so maybe this is just Marvel learning from their mistakes.

That being said, a movie is more high-profile than a show, so there's that. I'm happy that Rhodey will get that kind of exposure and budget.

This is better. It seems like a lot the problem with the Disney+ shows is they take too long to tell a story. Also I'm thinking, since Don Chedle is trying to split with Marvel this is an easier out for everyone. Also, as others have pointed out, this frees up a lot more funds for special effects and other production value. I'm in now more than I woulda been with another bland D+ series.

This is one show I'd rather have seen as a series. The very nature of Rhodey hunting down rogue Stark tech needs time to tell the story and get it right. 

But that's probably wishful thinking. The Falcon and Winter Soldier had a great idea but it was rushed and kinds anticlimactic.  

On 9/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, monron999 said:

This is better. It seems like a lot the problem with the Disney+ shows is they take too long to tell a story. Also I'm thinking, since Don Chedle is trying to split with Marvel this is an easier out for everyone. Also, as others have pointed out, this frees up a lot more funds for special effects and other production value. I'm in now more than I woulda been with another bland D+ series.

Cheadle wants out? I had not heard that. Just done with the character or are others factors involved?

On 9/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, McHogan said:

Cheadle wants out? I had not heard that. Just done with the character or are others factors involved?

On 9/30/2022 at 12:47 PM, tarot said:

Some news outlet are reporting his done but that is just insuring that he can working with other companies  

Yeah, don't think he's unhappy with his place in Marvel but he doesn't want to be under another long term contract and he wants to do other things and not get pigeon toed into this character for the rest of his career. I think that works out well cuz the new CEO of Disney says he really doesn't like these long term, guaranteed money deals, so it should be a fairly easy opt out.