NYS Trooper Busted For Toy Swapping At Walmart

JayC

According to CBS Channel 6 News in Albany NY, a A New York State Police Trooper has been suspended for toy swapping at a Walmart and now faces felony charges.

While the article doesn't go into specifics, it states 36-year-old Errol Oskay of Sackets Harbor was arrested yesterday for buying a toy and then trying to return it the same day with an older one.

This type of thing has become all-to-common in the world of action figure collecting when people will buy a figure they want, switch it out with something older and then return it to the store they bought it at. The returned toy often gets put back on shelves for some other unsuspecting consumer to come along an buy it, only to find out it wasn't the toy they were expecting to get.

This is one of the few times where it seems someone is facing possible serious consequences for toy swapping.

NYC.jpg

Lol, yep there it is. It was a sting operation the entire time. Hasbro was just doing it's part to stop police corruption.

Is this story real? I mean how did they catch this guy? This would insinuate that there was actually someone at the Walmart returns department that actually gives a damn, and we know that ain't the case. Glad it shone some light on the subject, but who didn't see this coming a mile away? What's next, a teacher, a nurse, a grandma?

On 9/14/2022 at 11:35 PM, Mjolnir_Customs said:

A felony? For “a” toy. Must have been a really expensive one. Felony theft has a dollar amount to trigger it. Otherwise it is misdemeanor petty theft. 

Mate this is still a form of stealing, whether it's a toy or not. Not only that but it's also a form of fraud, returning the wrong toy and claiming the return money for it.

Oskay is charged with purchasing a child’s riding toy at Walmart on September 12th in Watertown and returning the item the next day. Walmart asset protection then notified police after they discovered the box contained an older, much-weathered model of the riding toy inside.

According to a quick Google search. So not Legends swapping at all. But interesting they caught him. He  must have been doing this often for them to be watching.

The article called it falsifying business records FYI.. maybe this is how it's a felony 

I have to wonder about the windowless packaging.. Was this deliberate?  Hasbro must've known that people were gonna do this type of thing. Was this done in order to make more people use the pulse? I fully support them trying to help the environment, but it is interesting that they do it in a way that could make them a lot more profit..

On 9/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, Marvel_something said:

I have to wonder about the windowless packaging.. Was this deliberate?  Hasbro must've known that people were gonna do this type of thing. Was this done in order to make more people use the pulse? I fully support them trying to help the environment, but it is interesting that they do it in a way that could make them a lot more profit..

this was done with a mcfarlane figure but this has been going on looooonnnnggggg before the windowless packaging. 

On 9/14/2022 at 5:35 PM, Mjolnir_Customs said:

A felony? For “a” toy. Must have been a really expensive one. Felony theft has a dollar amount to trigger it. Otherwise it is misdemeanor petty theft. 

I found a few other articles about this, and I don't think the swap itself is what was considered the felony offense. In some of the articles it was said there was some kind of counterfeit documents involved. Not sure how many documents can be involved in a simple exchange, but I'm guessing maybe they altered the receipt somehow. Also, when you sign for the refund or exchange you are actually signing a legal statement that you are not involved in a criminal act. I guess if they used this it could possibly compound the offense.

maybe this will usher in a new age where big box stores actually pay attention to returns on collectibles and well anything returned, that's the best thing that could come out of all of this, but my biggest question is why does a state trooper need to toy swap? they get payed great money, seems pretty pathetic. Guess when he loses his job over this he's going to have to really toy swap, what a loser.

@Lord_ScareglowI'm not sure any civil servants are paid "great money" but i get what you are saying. 

I wish it would be possible for the big box stores to care but between long lines, angry customers and now windowless packaging I don't see anything changing.

I'm curious the circumstances that prompted the loss prevention team to check the box? I feel like this may be isolated to this guy at that location. Like they knew this guy had done this before and were actively watching for him. Pure speculation of course.