New Marvel Legends War Machine Figure Revealed

JayC

On 10/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, tarot said:

So basically MVC War Machine?

He has this look in the comics for a time as well I believe but yes pretty much. Toy Biz did the same thing back in the day in their 2-packs. To bad they didnt include the jetpack from the game.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:31 PM, JayC said:

He has this look in the comics for a time as well I believe but yes pretty much. Toy Biz did the same thing back in the day in their 2-packs. To bad they didnt include the jetpack from the game.

I don't think he wore it in the comics. he was wearing the classic version during the Modular Iron Man period. @ADour Can you confirm this as our resident Iron Man expert?

But yes TB did this version as well so it was obvious we would get this.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, tarot said:

I don't think he wore it in the comics. he was wearing the classic version during the Modular Iron Man period. @ADour Can you confirm this as our resident Iron Man expert?

But yes TB did this version as well so it was obvious we would get this.

You're correct (and I appreciate the ping, btw). War Machine being a palette swap of Modular Iron Man is exclusive to MvC (and there's a fun story involving legal loopholes and video game licensing tied to that).

spacer.png

When I saw this earlier on social media I wasn't even sure what I was seeing, I just presumed this was already released, I thought it was an old figure I forgot about, that's how boring this re-paint is to me, 2 Rhodey Re-paints in 6 months.

I don't like the paint apps on this, that silver looks almost blue. Easy pass, pretty sure this isn't armor he wore in comics, and just a strange homage to toybiz toys and MvC, which were both just being lazy and not wanting to design a new WM so they just painted a Iron Man Gray Tones, this was originally created as a product of uninspired apathy.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

When I saw this earlier on social media I wasn't even sure what I was seeing, I just presumed this was already released, I thought it was an old figure I forgot about, that's how boring this re-paint is to me, 2 Rhodey Re-paints in 6 months.

I don't like the paint apps on this, that silver looks almost blue. Easy pass, pretty sure this isn't armor he wore in comics, and just a strange homage to toybiz toys and MvC, which were both just being lazy and not wanting to design a new WM so they just painted a Iron Man Gray Tones, this was originally created as a product of uninspired apathy.

In defense of this figure, the silver is supposed to be have a tint like that.

In defense of Capcom, War Machine being an Iron Man repaint wasn't a lazy way to get War Machine into MvC, but rather a clever way to get Iron Man into MvC. Iron Man had previously appeared in Marvel Super Heroes, but his video game rights became tied up when Acclaim Entertainment started developing the Iron Man/X-O Manowar crossover game. Capcom repainting Iron Man and calling him War Machine was more than anything a loophole to ensure the character appeared in MvC in some shape.

And in ToyBiz's defense, their repainted-Modular-Iron-Man War Machine was in turn a homage to MvC. The figure also came out in 2006, and ToyBiz had already made a proper Marvel Legends War Machine the year prior. It's also worth mentioning that their MvC War Machine wasn't meant to be a figure on its own right, but a variant of the Face-Off Iron Man, so it makes sense that it would be only a repaint.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:44 PM, ADour said:

In defense of this figure, the silver is supposed to be have a tint like that.

In defense of Capcom, War Machine being an Iron Man repaint wasn't a lazy way to get War Machine into MvC, but rather a clever way to get Iron Man into MvC. Iron Man had previously appeared in Marvel Super Heroes, but his video game rights became tied up when Acclaim Entertainment started developing the Iron Man/X-O Manowar crossover game. Capcom repainting Iron Man and calling him War Machine was more than anything a loophole to ensure the character appeared in MvC in some shape.

And in ToyBiz's defense, their repainted-Modular-Iron-Man War Machine was in turn a homage to MvC. The figure also came out in 2006, and ToyBiz had already made a proper Marvel Legends War Machine the year prior. It's also worth mentioning that their MvC War Machine wasn't meant to be a figure on its own right, but a variant of the Face-Off Iron Man, so it makes sense that it would be only a repaint.

I actually didn't know that about the MvC game, so that's information to me, and thanks for providing clarity, I always just presumed War Machine was the Ken to Iron Man's Ryu in the game, As for the Toybiz thing, yeah didn't really think of that, I just had thought it was an easy variant, since they were doing Variants in those Face Off packs, but didn't really know the details behind it.

fair enough on all points, I maybe was too harsh on this figure from the jump, I mean the most important element of this release is that people actually wanted this figure to happen, so just because I'm not stoked on it, doesn't mean it does not have warrant to be released and others are happy.

I redact my negativity, it seems way more okay now that you gave me the info you did, Happy for those people who would like this in their collection, I;ll pass.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, GarimusPrime said:

I can see people wanting this as an homage to MVC, but, to me, he isn't War Machine without the shoulder turrets. It does look kinda cool, but I'll pass on this one, unless I see it on clearance for $12 or less.

This is 100% why I don’t want it, even though I love War Machine and I love this armor design for Iron Man. It doesn’t look like War Machine. 

that’s the same reason I didn’t like the Avengers 2/IM3 War Machine design, even though it technically had the turret.  They slimmed it down so much it just looked like it was supposed to be Iron Man. Thankfully they fixed it in Civil War and the later films. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, GarimusPrime said:

I can see people wanting this as an homage to MVC, but, to me, he isn't War Machine without the shoulder turrets. It does look kinda cool, but I'll pass on this one, unless I see it on clearance for $12 or less.

It is indeed hard to look at this and call it "War Machine". Its a great figure in its own right though. Not my cup of tea but I tell ya what- the shade of blue they're using here would look great on a Quicksilver figure. They botched that one so much that this would be a vast improvement.