Marvel's Secret Invasion Accidentally Reveals Emilia Clarke's Character

Outsiders

The official Secret Invasion Tenor account may have accidentally let it be known that Game of Thrones alum Emilia Clarke will be playing Abigail Brand, the commanding officer of  S.W.O.R.D. — essentially S.H.I.E.L.D. but focused on extraterrestrial issues and threats.

Streamr and OneTakeNews both reported this information based on a GIF uploaded on the Tenor account with the label “Its The Beginning Abigail Brand GIF.”

Secret Invasion stars Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as the Skrull Talos—characters who first met in Captain Marvel. They are joined by Kingsley Ben-Adir, Emilia Clarke, and Olivia Colman. The crossover event series showcases a faction of shapeshifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.  Joining them are Killian Scott, Christopher McDonald, Carmen Ejogo, and Cobie Smulders as she reprises her role as Maria Hill.

Maybe we'll finally get an Abigail Brand Legends figure! Too bad it will be MCU rather than comic. That's alright, I just bought 3 WWE Elite Collection Stacy Kiebler figures in a suit and skirt on clearance for 50% off to use for customs....

Kinda disappointed that she got cast as Brand. I was hoping she was either the baddie who would have her part and go away or just have some one-off part, but being cast as Brand means she'll probably be around for many years and many movies. Just cuz she was on one of the best shows on television since back when Walking Dead was good doesn't mean she's a great actor. Actually she's a terrible actor outside her role in GOT and unless she's using her own English accent she really can't convincingly pull off any other accent. In the end I guess all they really needed her for is the recognition factor and I suppose they can easily just just have her use her own voice just as easily as characters like Korg and Valkyrie are both aliens but oddly also have English accents.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, monron999 said:

Kinda disappointed that she got cast as Brand. I was hoping she was either the baddie who would have her part and go away or just have some one-off part, but being cast as Brand means she'll probably be around for many years and many movies. Just cuz she was on one of the best shows on television since back when Walking Dead was good doesn't mean she's a great actor. Actually she's a terrible actor outside her role in GOT and unless she's using her own English accent she really can't convincingly pull off any other accent. In the end I guess all they really needed her for is the recognition factor and I suppose they can easily just just have her use her own voice just as easily as characters like Korg and Valkyrie are both aliens but oddly also have English accents.

Neither here nor there, but Korg's got a Kiwi accent, not English. (Which is honestly funnier.)

On 10/27/2022 at 3:33 PM, Benn said:

Neither here nor there, but Korg's got a Kiwi accent, not English. (Which is honestly funnier.)

Yes, I can always count on you to keep me honest my friend. As much as I do like Korg's voice and accent and the levity it brings it is quite odd in the context that he is an actual alien.

It definitely requires some level of suspension of disbelief, but making up a bunch of fake alien accents would be just as silly in a lot of ways. I believe they’ve been consistent with virtually every Asgardian being English, at least. Tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba are actually English, and Anthony Hopkins is from Wales, but more or less English. Chris Hemsworth and Cate Blanchet are Australian, Karl Urban is a Kiwi, and Tessa Thompson is American, but they all do English accents for their characters. I don’t really know the actors who play Sif or the Warriors Three. I think they’re mostly American, but I can’t think whether they put on fake accents or not.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:10 PM, Benn said:

I don’t really know the actors who play Sif or the Warriors Three. I think they’re mostly American, but I can’t think whether they put on fake accents or not.

Jaime Alexander (Sif) and Josh Dallas (Fandral 1) and Zachary Levi (Fandral 2) are American; Tadanobu Satō (Hogun) is Japanese, and Ray Stevenson (Volstagg) is Irish but grew up in England.

I think it was a missed opportunity not to have more of Fury in the SHIELD tv show; at least a mini arc that focused on the earlier days (hence a somewhat younger actor playing the Sam Jackson role). Also it would've been nice to see Cobie Smulders again. I never watched her comedy show so her MCU Maria Hill was my first exposure to her (and too bad her Stumptown show got cancelled due to covid), and its good they're bringing her back for this. Also Carmen Ejogo! Don't know what role she's playing but I love her in everything.