Diamond Select - Marvel Select Iceman

toynewman

ToyShiz has revealed a new Marvel Select Iceman from Diamond Select.

BOBBY DRAKE aka ICEMAN Marvel Select action figure. Designed by Eamon O'donoghue & sculpted by May Thamtarana, this new 7in scale Iceman will come with 2 interchangeable heads, 2 swappable belts and his classic ice slide display base! The new Marvel Select Iceman will be available to preorder this Friday, November 18th from our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth! He will retail for $30and will see a Summer 2023 release!

Iceman.1.jpg

Iceman.2.jpg

Iceman.3.jpg

Iceman.4.jpg

Iceman.5.jpg

Iceman.6.jpg

Iceman.7.jpg

Iceman.8.jpg

Iceman.9.jpg

This actually looks alright, emphasis on alright, just another clear Iceman, although they did this clear very well (at least from these promo pics), it looks really quite like actual ice, applause to that, but I think they always do it wrong by just making him clear, he should be clear sure, but put a frosted wash overtop of the Clear, Iceman isn't just a hollow body of ice he has organs, the stand out from this is the really nice looking Ice slide effect, that's the best one any toy company has given us.

This thing is ridiculous. Not only does it look like a 90's Toybiz figure with some added articulation, but the guys at DS don't seem to understand that guys like Human Torch and Iceman are not clear. There are people underneath the flames and ice. They are simply covering their bodies with the material their bodies generate. Sure, there are some alternate versions of the characters where their powers evolved and their bodies turn to that material, but these ain't the versions of those characters. I swear, it's like there's three or four separate teams at DS/MS, all independent of each other and devoid of communication or data sharing. Some of them do some good, fairly accurate stuff like Beta Ray Bill, then some other group goes and does some porcelain torpedo like this. It's almost like the entire reason for this figure was to make that negator belt and ice slide and the figure was just a rushed through afterthought. If I could get those two items without the figure it'd be cool. Glad I'm not a MS fan cuz there's no consistency in quality, the detail between figures differs by vast degrees, there is zero to little scale consideration and altogether there seems to be even less R&D about who these characters actually are and how their powers are represented.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, monron999 said:

Glad I'm not a MS fan cuz there's no consistency in quality, the detail between figures differs by vast degrees, there is zero to little scale consideration and altogether there seems to be even less R&D about who these characters actually are and how their powers are represented.

Sounds just like legends lol. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, LordVenger said:

I like the slide however I would help to see a pic of Bobby actually using it. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:02 PM, McHogan said:

From what I've seen of Marvel Selects articulation it won't be pretty

Yeah, I wouldn't expect too much from these jokers. Doesn't even look like they gave him a pair of ice shooting hands, which would basically be essential to putting him in any kind of pose that would show him riding the ice slide.

• 6 months later...

It's so frustrating... if this wasn't translucent, it would be a nice figure. 

For the 27th. time : Iceman is not a translucent person- he is a man, coated in ice! The Human Torch is not a clear person- he is a man (or android) covered in fire! A translucent figure only works if you then coat it with an opaque paint that covers almost all of it. 

On 6/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

It's so frustrating... if this wasn't translucent, it would be a nice figure. 

For the 27th. time : Iceman is not a translucent person- he is a man, coated in ice! The Human Torch is not a clear person- he is a man (or android) covered in fire! A translucent figure only works if you then coat it with an opaque paint that covers almost all of it. 

Preach! 

As for the figure? The articulation is a crime against nature. We never let Hasbro get away with and neither should DS. Hard Pass

On 6/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

Maybe he was a man cover in ice at the beginning but as his powers grew, he can turn his entire body into ice. This is not a recent thing. It has been decades since he has been able to do that.

Diamond has done some good stuff along the way with their Marvel Select line, but this isn't one of them (in my opinion). Iceman honestly has been a tough nut to crack in general. I feel like that Toy Biz did the best ones under their X-Men Classics 6" line. I wasn't a big fan of their offering in the main Legends line and I haven't been crazy about any of Hasbro's attempts. The AOA version might be the best of Hasbro's.

Going back to Select, I really liked the Super Skrull that they did recently and the Titanium Man and Immortal Hulk from a couple of years ago were really good. Beyond that I've kept around Mephisto, Uatu, Mistress Death, Lucky the Pizza Dog, a pair of Chitauri, all of their Zombies and a handful each of Brood / Skrull army builders. I'd really like to see them tackle more characters that Hasbro is unlikely to give us. Madelyne Pryor might be a good example, Diamond did a Gallery (no articulation) figure of her not so long ago that would look great as a figure. I expect Hasbro will purposely withhold her and all of the figures from the failed HasLab for years, if not forever (at least unless/until there's a MCU version of the character to make instead of the comic version). Something like an MCU Outrider from Endgame would be a great fit for Marvel Select to do also as Hasbro clearly isn't going to do it. I'd love to see Select take a stab at a Celestial like Arishem or Ziran also, even if they were only 10 inches tall. Maybe Shuma Gorath (or at least the Gargantos version from Multiverse of Madness). Maybe Detroit Steel?

On 6/14/2023 at 11:44 AM, ADour said:

28 bucks for an accessory pack for my Blizzard figure that comes with a bonus figure... tempting...

Clearly a lot of people have the same mindset. As do I. But... the ice base seems to have lost something between its first reveal and its release. 

If I find it on a deep discount it is tempting 

As for the figure, he appears to be inspired by Hasbro’s dark days of Legends.. this is hideous. He seems to be actively melting in some of those pics. I can't believe the same company released that amazing Super Skrull mere months ago.. Select's articulation is all over the board.

The figure reviewed, in hand, this figure looks awful IMO, the promo images had this looking decent, but it's just a weird spindely clear man figure, the fact you can see all of the inner workings through the clear makes me think of those clear plastic phones we had in the 90's , this isn't it, they really need to like I've said before do an Iceman that is clear but with opaque paint overtop to emulate frosting, and to not make him just look like hes got no organs and just a clear thing, this is no good.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:23 PM, memocromatico said:

Iceman is my favorite X Men, and I'm really tempted by the accessories... but the figure?

I hate when they don't do a favorite character justice. My all time favorite is Dane Whitman Black Knight and I have been thrilled with Hasbro's efforts in regards to him. It's not often a C List character ( hey I know what he is, and I love him all the more for it!) get as much attention to detail and extras that BK has, at least in the ML Returns era. Though to be honest, Brood Queen BAF version of BK wasn't terrible design wise, his poor articulation was what really held him back. 

But his first ML Returns version was a thing of beauty to me. THREE extra heads to represent 3 different eras, my favorite suit (after trimming off the loincloth) and his next figure is my OTHER favorite look from a very underrated 90s team. Honestly could not be happier.

But I've had my share of favs that missed the mark (Moondragon) and it bums me out because who knows when if ever they get another shot.