Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream For December 2022 - X-Men 3-Packs, Deluxe Blob And More

JayC

On 1/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, tarot said:

I get some people are disappointed with the Ch'Od being a repaint which I think everyone and their mom were expecting but can someone please tell me how you think that using the Gamerverse Abomination was a better idea? I mean look at the figure. it looks nothing like Ch'Od body. Hasbro could have used new body but using the Gamerverse Abom is not one they should have used. IMHO Hasbro used the right figure. Outdated yes but the right body.

Chod-Marvel-Comics-Starjammers-X-Men.jpg

Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Gamerverse-Wave-Abomination-Promo-03.webp

Errr.......I'm not sure I've actually seen anyone suggest the Gamerverse Abomination would have been better, and if there was I'd love to see the receipts. It isn't a better fit, by any means. The comic Abomination buck is clearly more suited, right down to the striping and bumps on his hide. Actually, this thing looks good as Ch'od. It looks like this mold had specifically been made for this character. What it does do in relation to Abomination is make the older Abomination figure look even more undersized and pathetic. I don't necessarily think Ch'od should be bigger than Hulk or even the same size, though he's officially listed as 9 feet. People have that misconception, probably because of his size, that he's the Starjammers version of the "Strong Guy", but he's not. I suppose he's stronger than the other members of the team, but his official stats list his strength level far under guys like Colossus, Sasquatch and even Strong Guy. If he were to take on a guy like Hulk he's be pulverized immediately. My major issue is with the age of the mold and the lack of paint and the old ball hip joints and the lack of paint and the omission of the fins on his legs. Basically the entire thing, after the good head sculpt, is a minimalistic effort, which is Hasbro's forte. It's just plain lazy, as far as most BAF efforts go. Point, look at the Venompool BAF vs this one. They can't all be All-Stars, but traditionally the "repaints" were reserved for the standard figures in the wave and repainted BAF's usually ended up in a multi-pack with a new(er) character to help push it. That being the rational for why I thought Ch'od (being a repaint) would come in a 2 pack with Hepzibah, who would possibly have a new mold. In essence I agree the Gamerverse Abomination idea is ridiculous, but I musta missed whoever suggested that, whenever.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, tarot said:

does he have an articulated jaw or are there 2 heads? 

Articulated jaw.

Ch'od looks okay, but here's the problem:  It takes 6 figures to build him.  Up in Canada, that will cost about $35-$50 PER figure, or about $250-$300CDN  depending on the retailer.  Stateside you are looking about about $150 to almost $200 USD.
That is simply asking TOO MUCH for what this BAF figure is.
It's compounded by what's been called a "toy-like" appearance---it needs a paint-wash, perhaps. With the individual figures coming with minimal accessories themselves, many only with BAF parts, there isn't any good value-for-the dollar here.   There's no "boom" to the figure, or the character even.
In the price arena we're looking at now, there really needs to be..

On 1/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, tarot said:

I get some people are disappointed with the Ch'Od being a repaint which I think everyone and their mom were expecting but can someone please tell me how you think that using the Gamerverse Abomination was a better idea? I mean look at the figure. it looks nothing like Ch'Od body. Hasbro could have used new body but using the Gamerverse Abom is not one they should have used. IMHO Hasbro used the right figure. Outdated yes but the right body.

Chod-Marvel-Comics-Starjammers-X-Men.jpg

Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Gamerverse-Wave-Abomination-Promo-03.webp

problem with that is if someone thinks they had to go with either the Abomination BAF or the Gamerverse. I don't see why those are the only options. They could've just made a bigger body. They put some effort into the Armadillo BAF and it came out just fantastic. 

Years ago I too thought the Abomination BAF would be a great buck for Ch'od, but he's supposed to be around 9' tall. Which means this buck is too small to represent a character at that height. The Abomination BAF is shorter than the Hulk figure, and he was created to be actually bigger than ol' jade jaws.

I like that they at least colored his fins (why arent they on his legs?) and gave him the articulated jaw. Including his weapon would've been great too.

Close, but....comes off as cheap and uninspired. Frustrating too because this could have been perfect, despite the old Abomination BAF body.

All he needed was one trigger hand, the big alien laser pistol he used in his first appearance (and even that alien halberd he sports in the classic character image) and calf fins. More paint too, ideally, but just a few more parts and he could have been an absolute masterpiece of how to do parts re-use the right way. 

This just looks like they tried to shoehorn him in on a tight budget, which can only ever come across as insulting. All big figure's should be deluxes from now on. Hasbro seems to be willing to spend more tooling and accessory dollars on the scale, which makes them more attractive and affordable. This? No way I'm spending 250$ when all I want are two figures from the whole wave. Again...the other alternative....BAF waves with all the characters specific to the BAF; a concept so sexy it cannot be understated! 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:58 PM, Air-Walker said:

This just looks like they tried to shoehorn him in on a tight budget, which can only ever come across as insulting. All big figure's should be deluxes from now on.

No. No they shouldn't. BAF are not only a way for people to buy the whole wave but also to get obscure characters out. As we discussed here - https://marvelousnews.com/252-30975 - characters like Ch'Od would never sell as a Deluxe. 

On 1/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, tarot said:

No. No they shouldn't. BAF are not only a way for people to buy the whole wave but also to get obscure characters out. As we discussed here - https://marvelousnews.com/252-30975 - characters like Ch'Od would never sell as a Deluxe. 

Two things. First, you omitted my other solution, which would be to make all characters in a wave specific to the BAF. This wave would have been pre-ordered off the face of the Earth if instead of all these other non-entities, we had Lilandra, Raza, Hepzibah, Eric the Red and some other Imperial Guardsmen. Far more toyetic looking characters too. 

Second, on the matter of obscurities....Mojo isn't obscure? An ugly misshapen blob on tiny spider-legs, with virtually no play value?? Good paint apps and weapons would sexify Ch'od enough imo, and making him a Gamestop or Amazon exclusive would serve. Ch'od would have worked really well too in a 3pack with Raza and Hepzibah. Anything to give him more oomf and not a cheap looking afterthought.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:41 PM, Air-Walker said:

Two things. First, you omitted my other solution, which would be to make all characters in a wave specific to the BAF. This wave would have been pre-ordered off the face of the Earth if instead of all these other non-entities, we had Lilandra, Raza, Hepzibah, Eric the Red and some other Imperial Guardsmen. Far more toyetic looking characters too. 

Second, on the matter of obscurities....Mojo isn't obscure? An ugly misshapen blob on tiny spider-legs, with virtually no play value?? Good paint apps and weapons would sexify Ch'od enough imo, and making him a Gamestop or Amazon exclusive would serve. Ch'od would have worked really well too in a 3pack with Raza and Hepzibah. Anything to give him more oomf and not a cheap looking afterthought.

Okay first Comic waves waves that only team would not appeal to everyone. Hasbro needs to put in a figure for everyone, from all kind of time periods. This is to insure that there is something for everyone not just the people following just Starjammers. Movie theme waves get aways with it because they are trying into a movie but comic waves need to have something for every one.

and second, No. Mojo is not as an obscure character as Ch'Od, Armadillo, Bonebreaker and other. He has appeared in many comic and has been adapted in pretty much every X-men cartoon to date. (Evolution is the only one that didn't have him.) That make him b-list.

Wait.. this is Cho’d?!? Haha, I guess I’m not as up to date on XMen characters as I thought? I was thinking he was greenish, one eyed robot looking thing that had a smaller version on his back. No idea what I was thinking but clearly I had the wrong guy in mind.. haha

that being said, is he the right shade of green? Or is he like Tigra and a nuclear version of his color? Seems bright even by non Cho’d fan.

so I fall into the camp that Hasbro kinda cheaped out, but that makes sense now that I’ve seen art of the character. But I’m also in the camp that loves the cheap-out repaints that gets me the more obscure Avengers characters that I’d never get otherwise if Hasbro didn’t need to save some budget on a particular wave. Characters like Rage, Jocasta etc.. ( also didn’t mind that DC Universe Classics reused the same mood on 90% of their releases). 

So going the cheap route doesn’t bug me in the slightest. 

I agree with @Air-Walker.. MoJo is definitely an obscure character. Unless you’re an huge XMen fan, MoJo doesn’t make anyone’s top 25 list of Marvel villains. Of course it’s just an opinion 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, McHogan said:

Wait.. this is Cho’d?!? Haha, I guess I’m not as up to date on XMen characters as I thought? I was thinking he was greenish, one eyed robot looking thing that had a smaller version on his back. No idea what I was thinking but clearly I had the wrong guy in mind.. haha

that's Warstar (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/B'nee_and_C'cil_(Earth-616)), which probably wouldn't be done unless the smaller one was part of the wave as well 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, tarot said:

that's Warstar (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/B'nee_and_C'cil_(Earth-616)), which probably wouldn't be done unless the smaller one was part of the wave as well 

YES!! that’s exactly who I was thinking of whenever Cho’ds Name was mentioned. I was confused at first when posters would say that Hasbro would use the Abomination body. Haha, maybe someday they’ll use the Crimson Dynamo body for Warstar, the whole body in one shade of green... maybe new head? Hey Hasbro has done worse  

On 1/9/2023 at 4:49 PM, tarot said:

Okay first Comic waves waves that only team would not appeal to everyone. Hasbro needs to put in a figure for everyone, from all kind of time periods. This is to insure that there is something for everyone not just the people following just Starjammers. Movie theme waves get aways with it because they are trying into a movie but comic waves need to have something for every one.

Doesn’t this contradict what the AOA, HOX and specific retro waves are?

On 1/9/2023 at 5:49 PM, tarot said:

and second, No. Mojo is not as an obscure character as Ch'Od, Armadillo, Bonebreaker and other. He has appeared in many comic and has been adapted in pretty much every X-men cartoon to date. (Evolution is the only one that didn't have him.) That make him b-list.

Mixed waves don't apply to everyone either though, and fans have been asking for completely BAF relevant waves for years, at least the ones I associate with, lol. And I know why they mix the waves, I just don't agree that this is the best way to go anymore. The Starjammers aren't really they're own thing either...they're an X-Men thing, and any fan of the X-Men is also likely to be a fan of the Starjammers, so I don't think it holds to single them out that way. 

Marvel Legends are targeted towards adult Marvel fans, and we are a pretty sophisticated bunch. If Ch'od was so much more obscure in the fandom than Mojo, there'd be a lot more people here and across the net asking who the heck he is. What matters most here isn't how well-known someone like Ch'od is (since clearly fans know, and have been excited for him) ....it's how Toyetic he is. Had he better paint, and more accessories...do you mean to tell me you wouldn't buy him if he was single packed and cheaper?

On 1/10/2023 at 1:00 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Doesn’t this contradict what the AOA, HOX and specific retro waves are?

Like @RobertD said those pegged warm for a while and even at that they still had figures for everyone. Take AOA for example, you have Morph, Sabretooth and Wild Child who could easily be used in an Exiles team, Dark Beast, X-man and Sugar man are all part of the Prime universe, Legion is a prime universe character, Sunfire and Wild Child again used these costumes for the prime universe, and Wolverine..............well it's wolverine and he has a massive following.

As for the HOX wave, which was essentially made to tie into the Sentinel, you have Jean who is using her classic costume, Omega Sentinel who was given a classic head and Moira who was given a whole classic look.

As for the Retro wave, mate they are all over the place with that selection and have figure from all time periods.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, tarot said:

No, but I would certainly argue he would sell as a multi-pack, say with Hepzibah and/or Raza. I also agree BAF's should take a little more effort. They traditionally have to this point. Even the worst BAF's are mostly new. It's only recently that they started using the Hasbro reuse bit for BAF's. Controller, Puff Adder, now this one.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, tarot said:

Like @RobertD said those pegged warm for a while and even at that they still had figures for everyone. Take AOA for example, you have Morph, Sabretooth and Wild Child who could easily be used in an Exiles team, Dark Beast, X-man and Sugar man are all part of the Prime universe, Legion is a prime universe character, Sunfire and Wild Child again used these costumes for the prime universe, and Wolverine..............well it's wolverine and he has a massive following.

As for the HOX wave, which was essentially made to tie into the Sentinel, you have Jean who is using her classic costume, Omega Sentinel who was given a classic head and Moira who was given a whole classic look.

As for the Retro wave, mate they are all over the place with that selection and have figure from all time periods.

I understand but regardless of pegwarmth, they still made these specific themed waves whether some of the figures could tie into other stuff or not. Besides, we’ve all seen mixed waves pegwarm too at one point or another. Just saying it *could* still be done.  And I would bet my bottom dollar that something like a Cockrum Phoenix Saga themed wave (including all or most Starjammers) would outdo an AoA or HoX wave any day! 💪

On 1/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, Air-Walker said:

Mixed waves don't apply to everyone either though, and fans have been asking for completely BAF relevant waves for years, at least the ones I associate with, lol. And I know why they mix the waves, I just don't agree that this is the best way to go anymore. The Starjammers aren't really they're own thing either...they're an X-Men thing, and any fan of the X-Men is also likely to be a fan of the Starjammers, so I don't think it holds to single them out that way. 

Marvel Legends are targeted towards adult Marvel fans, and we are a pretty sophisticated bunch. If Ch'od was so much more obscure in the fandom than Mojo, there'd be a lot more people here and across the net asking who the heck he is. What matters most here isn't how well-known someone like Ch'od is (since clearly fans know, and have been excited for him) ....it's how Toyetic he is. Had he better paint, and more accessories...do you mean to tell me you wouldn't buy him if he was single packed and cheaper?

Well put! I would prefer targeted waves (I loved getting two waves of AOA, and I think the upcoming X-Men 3 packs are a great idea), but I would also love welcome mixed waves as long as they keep MCU and Comic separate, and they focus the Comic waves on completing multiple teams (X-Force, New Mutants, Alpha Flight, Excalibur, Reavers, Starjammers, Marauders, Gen X) .  I think Ch'od is actually a solid release (happy to get him as a BAF, but would have bought him as a single packed figure too).  The reality is no matter what Hasbro does, we will always see what they could have done better or differently, because we are all so particular about our own  collections.  

On 1/9/2023 at 5:23 PM, tarot said:

I think folks also need to consider that what is a peg warmer near them isn't necessarily a peg warmer everywhere. In the UK I often find an over abundance of figures I could never find in the US, and the same goes for state to state over here.  

No surprise that Ch'Od is on the Comic Abomination mold. I was hoping they would give him a new mold which could be used for an updated Abomination down the line. Still, given very few of these characters interest me, maybe Chamber, I wouldn't be completing him.