The Next Gen-X and Imperial Guard

tarot

With both Monet and Chamber, Hasbro has now started making Generation X and woth Fang, they have properly started the Imperial Guard (Gladiator was made but he could have stood alone anyway as he has alot of adventure without the Guards). If Hasbro is making them like they did the Jim Lee X-men for Gen X and the Serpent Society with the Guard, who should be the next one for each? Here are my nominees, Synch and Manta.

manta.jpg

synch.jpg

I think the best options to include in the next wave are Husk and Smasher. Both would allow Hasbro to save some money.

Smasher is practically that new Wonderman's head on Vulcan's body.

Husk accessories are fun to consider. They could make a half diamond, half ripped skin head. Multiple different hands would be necessary: gloved, diamond. Didn't she have a giant chunk of rock as a fist one time?

As far as another fairly recognizable character from the Imperial Guard, the only one I can think of would be either Oracle or Smasher, which coincidentally can also be done fairly easy with existing sculpts. The rest have some fairly unique shapes and designs that I don't think Hasbro would be willing to invest in for how obscure many of them are.

For Gen X, my heart says Husk, but my head says most likely it will be Synch, again just for the simplicity of design. Guys like Mondo, Skin and Penance would take some pretty specific sculpts. Now, the sheer fact that they made it a point to do Monet in her GenX gear rather than her modern gear does tell me they do plan to do more GenX figures, but I assume they will start with the easy ones and then once they get us on board that they are team building they'll go ahead and start trickling the more difficult characters into the line. I would say Mondo would be done as a Deluxe and Penance and Skin would be done as Retro Cards or as a Multi-pack. Also with this line comes the increased possibility that we may finally be getting a Marrow. I did love the cards the original 5" figures came on. I would love to have a Phalanx BAF.

As for the Phalanx, I’m still holding out hope for a Haslab that’s a modular build-a-legion, full of interchangeable parts to build a variety of weird Phalanx monsters. I feel like if I just say it on the internet enough, it’ll eventually happen. Think about it. X-Men-related? Check. Army building potential? Check. Obvious tie-ins for use as tier goals? Check. Able to be done relatively cheaply (compared to other Haslab)? Check, check. The only thing it doesn’t have going for it is name recognition, but if it were priced right and looked great, I think it would be cool enough to overcome that. The trouble with Phalanx as a BAF, is that they’re creatures that you would want as army builders, but that all need to look a bit different from one another.

For Generation X I vote for Skin. They can reuse Mr. Fantastic's weird stretched out fingers from the retro-carded F4 wave.

Speaking of Gen X, anyone else think that newly announced M head is kinda ugly? Might be because it's undersized compared to her body. I've seen many complaints for that Emma Frost head on social media (I think that Emma head matched with Cassaday's art) but not a peep about that M head. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:17 AM, enzosaurusrex said:

For Generation X I vote for Skin. They can reuse Mr. Fantastic's weird stretched out fingers from the retro-carded F4 wave.

Speaking of Gen X, anyone else think that newly announced M head is kinda ugly? Might be because it's undersized compared to her body. I've seen many complaints for that Emma Frost head on social media (I think that Emma head matched with Cassaday's art) but not a peep about that M head. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I think her head was mentioned.

I think they were going with an ethnicity look, not necessarily a comic art inspired look. She's from the Mediterranean area, right? Something to do with Afro-French extraction?

On 12/15/2022 at 3:17 AM, enzosaurusrex said:

We’ve definitely talked about the M head at length on here. It’s awful. The Emma head is a little off-putting, mostly because—at first blush—it looks so much like the early Hasbro take on this costume. It’s superficial resemblance, though, and it’s a decent likeness overall. The M head is bad from every conceivable standpoint. Just a weird, weird take.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, Benn said:

We’ve definitely talked about the M head at length on here. It’s awful. The Emma head is a little off-putting, mostly because—at first blush—it looks so much like the early Hasbro take on this costume. It’s superficial resemblance, though, and it’s a decent likeness overall. The M head is bad from every conceivable standpoint. Just a weird, weird take.

Ok I'm not going crazy then lol Yea it's terrible.