No More Walgreens Exclusive Marvel Legends In 2023

JayC

In recent weeks we have been seeing some huge discounts on the Walgreens Marvel Legends exclusive figures on the Walgreens website. Many at one time or another selling as low as $6.89. In fact the Zemo is still available at that price.

Well it looks like Walgreens might be done with Marvel Legends and possibly action figures in general. I've heard reports that many of the physical stores have done away with their action figure aisle completely.

One thing we can tell you for sure is there will be no Marvel Legends exclusive in 2023 at Walgreens. This is according to Hasbro's own Dan Yun who made about about it earlier in the week.

So at least for the foreseeable future, the last Marvel Legends exclusive at Walgreens will be the Moonstone figure which is currently available on their website (At Full price for now anyway).

Walgreens-2022__scaled_600.jpg

Walgreens had a great run!  Many of these figures were super hard to find at times, but the varied character selection was impressive.  Just the idea that they did a Fantastic Four wave one figure at a time, a cosmic wave, a villains wave, a bunch of X-Men.  

Just thinking about it, some of my favorite Marvel Legends came from Walgreens - Zemo, the Thing, Mystique, Jim Lee Punisher, Ironman 2020.

my two local Walgreens both reduced their toy footprint before Christmas. No action figures left at one store and the other has them at the door for 50% off.  I suspect the toy area will go away in both stores soon. A Pokémon card section is about all that will remain.

A salute to Walgreens for their Marvel Legends subline!  They were difficult as could be to find at times, but the figures were great!

Can't say I didn't see that coming a mile away. Once the new purchasing manager took over I had a feeling there would be a change. Actually I'm surprised they continued as long as they did. As much as I enjoyed the online purchase format I knew it had to have something to do with the contract negotiations or renewal. The fact that a lot of these exclusives ended up selling at less than cost probably wasn't a good sign either. Hopefully some outfits like EE or Gamestop can take up the slack and start doing exclusives again. I sure would hate to lose an avenue where ML can do some of these figures that might not cut it in the standard ML distribution.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:11 AM, glhshelby said:

The stupid Moon Knight that I can’t find for under $100 would disagree. 

Aside from the size, that Moon Knight was indeed a great figure. I wouldn't pay $100.00 for it though....they re-released the modern Moon Knight after the D+ series, so maybe they'll do this one after season2. 

Moonstone, Moon Knight....now we need Moondragon! 

And what about the original Moonstone? 

On 12/30/2022 at 8:53 PM, Hogun said:

Good because aside from the Fantastic Four figures, Walgreens exclusives have been duds.

Meh. To each their own. Magik, Dani Moonstar, Mystique, Emma, Binary, and the Cuckoos were all big hits for me, especially the former three. Moon Knight and Nova were cool too, and—while the characters don’t do much for me—that Zemo, Quasar, and Medusa all looked pretty great too.

I'm of mixed feelings on this news. On one hand, many figures were stupid difficult to find. On the other hand, the characters were great: my first round of Hasbro FF figures, Namor, Sentry and my two favorites Moon Knight and Silver Centurion. 

Before they got their act together, even the on-line ordering system was B.S. .. I had both MK and S.C. Iron Man canceled before lucking out and finding in store. 

But by the end, ordering and RECEIVING was the easiest of all the Exclusive stores. To bad it was too little too late. 

I too hope another store steps up and gets another line of Legends exclusives,  just hope it's a company that has their $#!+ together.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, Hogun said:

Good because aside from the Fantastic Four figures, Walgreens exclusives have been duds.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:55 PM, Psychosomatic said:

This is such great news! While getting figures at Walgreens has gotten a little easier (online), it is still difficult.  Not a fan of exclusives anyway, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

I dunno, I kinda liked that there was an avenue where they could do figures that they couldn't (or wouldn't) wedge into standard waves. Without the exclusive format I don't know that we'd ever have gotten a comic Punisher, and with what they've done to the comic I doubt we'll ever get another, at least not in the way we all remember him, so there's that. Honestly, I thought they turned the corner when they did the FF and the superb Thing. Besides the terrible fumble of Binary being on the wrong buck, I felt the Cosmic theme was strong, and the Villains theme gave us a few characters we'd never get otherwise, like Jigsaw, and some well needed redos. I was really hoping we'd get some kind of Magical theme next and maybe get some characters like Helstrom and Agatha but I guess not.

I know a lot of people are happy to not have to deal with Walgreens at all anymore, but we just lost another avenue of getting figures that might otherwise never be done. Will another vendor fill the void? Maybe, but I don't expect that it would make getting ahold of these type exclusives any easier either, especially in an online only set up. In fact, I've never seen an exclusive of any kind, from any vendor, where it wasn't at least a little difficult, at least initially, to get ahold of them, or at least a pre-order. Without Walgreens that leaves only Walmart and Target as the only carriers of non-online only exclusives, and we know what a pain in the ayass they have been. To me, being happy that a vendor is no longer doing exclusives is a general feeling that no one should be doing them, because they all have their own issues and problems with how they distribute them. No one has been able to do it in a way that's made everyone happy.

Yea one less avenue for comic Legends doesn’t seem all that exciting to me. But maybe they’ll make up for it in some way, or they already are.. who knows.
Personally, I’ve had very little difficulty with WG exclusives. Only ones I never saw in stores were the Silver Surfers.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, monron999 said:

Without the exclusive format I don't know that we'd ever have gotten a comic Punisher, and with what they've done to the comic I doubt we'll ever get another, at least not in the way we all remember him, so there's that.

That would be such a bummer; a first appearance update is one of my top 10. 😣

On 1/2/2023 at 1:17 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Yea one less avenue for comic Legends doesn’t seem all that exciting to me. But maybe they’ll make up for it in some way, or they already are.. who knows.
Personally, I’ve had very little difficulty with WG exclusives. Only ones I never saw in stores were the Silver Surfers.

Well this is a 180 for this forum for sure, because I recall countless scathing reviews condemning wg's exclusives, their non-stocking.

Threats to take action, even to the extent of going to their homes and toilet papering their houses...and then, REALLY hitting below the belt, mocking the very socks on their feet.

I'm ashamed to admit, I too took part in that one.  I sought to tear them down for their bad clothing taste, in a way to build myself up. A low point for the fourm, indeed. Those were dark times, my friends. 

All seriousness aside, I don't see anything that made those figures so special, that they could only be sold thru some other avenue. The Fantastic Four? Iron Man? Come on. They don't need to be "exclusives" but if hasbo wants to go that route, use Pulse.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:26 AM, TheArrow said:

I think the '"exclusive" package is just something that Hasbro offers up to retailers, and Walgreens was one that bit.  We got to realize a lot of different figures with them, got some new tooling for new figures out of it, and now.............the exclusives will probably go with some other retailer.......eventually. 

That's exactly how it works. Hasbro offer retailers exclusives as a bribe so that store to sell the mainline products.

Of course this may not be the end of Walgreens getting exclusives. The reason there are no exclusives this year is because the person that dealt with the exclusives for Walgreens left the company and they hadn't gotten a replacement, so they could return next year.

• 6 months later...

Oh that's pretty awesome they got at least a few of them back in stock and at a reduced price, Walgreens made these figures intially very hard to get when they first came out, seemed like they got easier as time went on, and then now most of these made it to other retailers, I'm sure a ton of folks will be glad to get these at such a good price, Last years exclusives were a pretty good bunch, being characters people might really want.

Heh, I actually saw a Moonstone on a Walgreens shelf this weekend. It's been years since I saw one of their ML exclusives in the wild, just never happens in my town. I already picked up these characters through Walgreen's online store, but I am always happy for anyone who still wants and needs them for their collection... nice discount!

Such a sad swing of affairs. Once all the rage (though due more to their unavailability than customer demand) now they can't give away these ae figures.

A other retailer who couldn't get their $#!+ together now signs off on Legends altogether.