Marvel Legends For January 2023

JayC

It's now 2023 and January is upon us and so we thought we would give you a heads up about what you can expect to see from Hasbro and Marvel Legends this month. So first thing, what you won't see this month is a Marvel Legends Live-Stream. This was confirmed by Hasbro's Dan Yun.

But not to worry because we will be getting some new reveals starting as early as next Tuesday (1/10). That is when the new X-Men themed Marvel Legends wave should go up for pre-order at places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth starting at 1pm ET.

Now Hasbro as you probably know has already told us all the single release figures for this wave which includes:

-Astonishing Cyclops (With smoking blast effect. Uses all new parts and same scale as the Vulcan body)

-Astonishing Emma Frost

-Corsair (Using the Vulcan body)

-Kid Omega (Using the smaller pin-less Amazing Spider-Man size body with telekinetic blaster and glasses)

-Monet (Double pin-less arms and legs)

-Chamber (Has an all new translucent head)

-Fang

What we still don't know about this wave is what the Build-A-Figure will be. Most assume it will be the Starjammer Ch'od, but we will know for sure by early next week.

On January 18th we should be seeing that next Marvel Legends 3.75" Retro wave go up with Doom, Classic Spider-Woman and Classic Luke Cage.

There should also be two additional Fan-Channel exclusive figures that go up in January, one of which I believe will be Spider-Man related. Of course it's always possible Hasbro could surprise us with additional things like maybe some additional store exclusives or things can even change, but for now that's what I know should be coming in January. We of course will have complete coverage of everything that gets revealed as it happens here on MarvelousNews.

January-Marvel-Legends-01.jpg

January-Marvel-Legends-02.jpg

January-Marvel-Legends-03.jpg

Crossing my fingers that they were able to do something with that Monet head sculpt. Upscale it a bit at the very least, cuz whooooo.........that thing is rough. If Ch'od isn't the BAF then he's definitely a wave adjacent Deluxe figure cuz that squirmy little critter they teased don't belong to anyone else.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:55 AM, WalterNewell58 said:

I hope Fang comes with alternate Wolverine head and hands. I loved this costume for Logan, even though it only lasted a couple of issues.

Costume had some definite Timber Wolf vibes going on there....not surprising, considering that Cockrum left DC's Legion of Super Heroes to go work on Marvel's X-Men.  My issue with the Fang figure is that it looked too tall compared to Fang's (and Wolverine's) height. Wolverine wore the same suit when the X-Men first tangled with Iron Fist (way back in 1975, final issue). This was also the first time a connection was made (inferred) between Saber-Tooth and Wolverine (Saber-Tooth made his Marvel debut in the prior issue). 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:00 PM, Atlantis said:

Costume had some definite Timber Wolf vibes going on there....not surprising, considering that Cockrum left DC's Legion of Super Heroes to go work on Marvel's X-Men.  

that's not a coincidence. Cockrum admitted that the Imperial Guard is basically Marvel's version of the legion.

Heres hoping that more Imperial Guard characters appear!! Namely Starbolt, Hussar,Manta and Warstar. I really want a proper Lilandra figure design wearing the armor she wore in X-Men 137 and the trial of Reed Richard's with alternate feathered head. And DEATHBIRD!

As for Marauders...Harpoon and Greycrow are must haves. Arclight, Blockbuster, Prism and Malice would be nice as well

Basically I'll take any of the team members at this point! Just BRING ON THE X-MEN BADDIES!

On 1/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Heres hoping that more Imperial Guard characters appear!! Namely Starbolt, Hussar,Manta and Warstar. I really want a proper Lilandra figure design wearing the armor she wore in X-Men 137 and the trial of Reed Richard's with alternate feathered head. And DEATHBIRD!

As for Marauders...Harpoon and Greycrow are must haves. Arclight, Blockbuster, Prism and Malice would be nice as well

Basically I'll take any of the team members at this point! Just BRING ON THE X-MEN BADDIES!

Yup, I'd be all for a Imperial Guard boost, big time. And Deathbird, as well.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

"Heres hoping that more Imperial Guard characters appear!! ....I really want a proper Lilandra figure design wearing the armor she wore in X-Men 137 and the trial of Reed Richard's with alternate feathered head. And DEATHBIRD..."

I was hoping to see Deathbird as part of or even a BAF for Captain Marvel wave. Thought for sure we'd be getting at least Ms. Marvel, after Rogue came out. I mean she already had the scarf, so of COURSE hasbo's gonna re-use that. Well clearly that didn't happen.  But I was thinking maybe:

Ms. Marvel (classic outfit)

Ms. Marvel (Cockrum outfit, re-issue)

Captain Mar-Vell (first appearance white/green uniform)

Captain Mar-Vell (accurate hair, segmented boots, colors this time)

Captain Marvel (Photon)

Ronan (at least he's on the way now)

Mon-Tog (that whole mutton chops with mustache thing looked wild! Dig it)

BAF: Deathbird

On 1/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Not necessarily a fan of the Imperial Guard, but I understand why some people would want those characters. I'm down for ANY new character they send our way.

I tell you, it completely baffles me why there hasn't been much Marauders representation in the X-Men ML. To me that storyline was one of the most influential stories in X-Men history. Maybe I'm a bit biased because that was the literal jumping on point for me on my journey to X-Men fandom. I read other comics like Daredevil and Spider-Man, and I wasn't all that big a fan of JR,Jr's work but something about that cover with Wolverine, Colossus, Rogue and Storm with those somber looks on their faces caught my eye and I spent the next few years chasing back issues (the hard way), and the rest is history. I was very young back then, but I do remember the Marauders being truly terrifying, buried in the shadows, revealing themselves slowly and brutally as the story progressed. Honestly, one of the finest stories told in comic history and the beginning of the cross-book epic tradition. Today's writers could really learn a lot from those days.

My biggest worry about them doing the Marauders, and hopefully the reason they've been taking so long, is how they would interpret the characters' designs. Both Scalphunter and Arclight have tall, thin frames, and though they were athletic, they weren't all that muscular. I just don't see a body mold that they have to match either of those characters, and if they were to do Scalphunter dirty like they did Sleepwalker and put Arclight on the Shriek buck it would be a damn travesty. Of course, they'd probably do Scrambler on that ridiculously small and overused suited mold. There are so many ways Hasbro can, and probably will, screw up Riptide. He'll either get the Cannonball no legs treatment or, even though he is thin enough for the Pizza Spidey mold, he'll be done on the Sunfire mold, with no power effects. I just know Blockbuster will be oversized, probably as a BAF, though he is officially listed around 7 foot and shown to be shorter than Colossus, which would put him in Omega Red mold territory. As one of the shorter characters in the MU, Harpoon could be done on the Wolverine mold, but probably won't be. He'll end up another misuse of the Sunfire buck, I predict. About the only one I have confidence will be done somewhat accurately would be Prism because they could use the AoA Iceman mold. Malice would also be pretty easy as she could simply be done as a necklace, but she'll most likely get overlooked altogether. Overall, as much as I'd like to see the Marauders get their due, I'm really afraid the end result will be a massive letdown. I know it sounds nitpicky, but seriously, if you're gonna do it, do it right, and if it's gonna take this long it better be worth the wait.

As always, Hasbro I am available as a consultant, and as always, I offer my services free of charge. I can be reached anytime on this forum.

I am looking forward to the reveals for the X-Men wave BAF (which almost certainly is Ch'od) and Valeria Richards this month. Didn't we already get the official reveal for that updated Gamerverse Peter Parker Spider-Man, just not available for pre-order, right? I think every thing that has officially been revealed so far has an expected May release date or earlier. From Rektangular list the only things that he said had May release dates that haven't been revealed yet were the GOTG3 and ITSV2 movie waves. Oddly he had the Quantumania movie wave not coming out until July along with The Marvels movie wave and the new D+ wave with Kingpin, Agatha, etc.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, Reno said:

I am looking forward to the reveasl for the X-Men wave BAF (which almost certainly is Ch'od) and Valeria Richards this month. Didn't we already get the official reveal for that updated Gamerverse Peter Parker Spider-Man? Has Ronan officially been revealed yet? I could see that coming out this summer around the time of the Marvels movie (July-ish). I think every thing that has officially been revealed so far has an expected May release date or earlier.

Ronan is already up for pre-order.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, monron999 said:

Ronan is already up for pre-order.

Yep, sorry - that was a total brainfart. Now I even remember ordering it the day it went up. It's the only figure that I currently have pre-ordered through Amazon. Those last couple months of 2022 were so wild that it's all a blur. I know the retro card back X-Men wave is supposed to be shipping any day now, but after that I need a break for a few weeks at least. It seemed like everything hit all at once in November/December.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:55 PM, Reno said:

Yep, sorry - that was a total brainfart. Now I even remember ordering it the day it went up. It's the only figure that I currently have pre-ordered through Amazon. Those last couple months of 2022 were so wild that it's all a blur. I know the retro card back X-Men wave is supposed to be shipping any day now, but after that I need a break for a few weeks at least. It seemed like everything hit all at once in November/December.

Same.

Excited about finally seeing the BAF for the X-Men wave, and putting those pre-orders in, I'm really looking forward to the wave really wanting Chamber, M & Corsair especially, Kid Omega and Fang secondary, and whomever comes with the BAF piece be it Emma or Cyclops, but I'm hoping it's Emma.

also can it really be to far off we actually start seeing the Puff Adder wave hit stores? I feel like it should be soon.