Marvel Comics Continues To Celebrate 100 Years Of Disney With More Variant Covers

JayC

The Walt Disney Company will mark its 100th anniversary in 2023 and will celebrate the incredible storytellers, creators, and fans who, together, spark the magic and wonder of Disney. Disney100 is a celebration of that journey and will bring new experiences with beloved characters around the globe, and Marvel Comics will be marking the occasion with a special monthly DISNEY100 VARIANT COVER PROGRAM featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and more.

The variant program in honor of Disney100 will celebrate Marvel’s past, present, and future through the classic “What If” lens with a fantastic reimagining of Marvel’s most classic comic book covers. While the initial trio of these first-of-its-kind art pieces paid homage to the foundational stories of the Marvel Universe, the next set will celebrate some of Marvel’s more modern game changing stories! See Disney’s iconic characters immersed in pivotal moments of the Marvel mythos including the earth-shattering 90s event Infinity Gauntlet, the debut of the lineup of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes that would define the 2000s in New Avengers #1, and the transformative journey Tony Stark went on in the pages of Invincible Iron Man.

With 12 covers in total, fans can look forward to a new Disney100 variant cover (also available in Black and White versions) hitting stands each month of 2023 at local comic book shops. The variant covers will be found on select upcoming issues of Amazing Spider-Man starting with AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17 on January 11.

Check out Marvel Comics’ newest DISNEY100 VARIANT COVERS below, and stay tuned for more to be revealed in the months ahead!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 DISNEY100 VARIANT COVER by LORENZO PASTROVICCHIO with Colors by CHIARA DI FRANCIA (ARANCIA STUDIO)
On Sale 4/5/23

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #25 DISNEY100 VARIANT COVER by DONALD SOFFRITTI with Colors by CHIARA DI FRANCIA (ARANCIA STUDIO)
On Sale 5/3/23

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #27 DISNEY100 VARIANT COVER by CLAUDIO SCIARRONE with Colors by ENRICO PENNAZZA (ARANCIA STUDIO)
On Sale 6/7/23

AM_SM_23_D100_VAR.jpg

AM_SM_25_D100_VAR.jpg

AM_SM_27_D100_VAR.jpg

Excuse me, I just puked in my mouth a little. Then on the way running to the restroom. Then twice in the restroom. And then once in the sink in the break room while trying to wash the taste out of my mouth.

There it is, the Mouseification of Marvel we all knew was gonna happen. Disney characters as Marvel Super Heroes, how very creative. This is so stereotypical and monotonous of any property associated with Disney it's just beyond tiresome at this point. If Disney is the worst thing to happen to Marvel Comics, the commercialization of the What If? brand is a close 2nd.

Oh come on it's not that big a thing. Regardless of you're opinion on Disney it's not worth the energy. If you really are that angry about some comic books variant covers then you've probably got a pretty good Life. And if you are concerned about it being perceived as too silly for a spin on the comics about a purple man attempting to destroy the universe being thwarted by a silver man who surfs through space and a gold man who is an artificial perfect bring them maybe reexamine some things 

Whenever I hear that Marvel is doing MORE variant covers the frustration I felt when I found they were pricing me out of collecting comics returns all over. 

As a completist, I tried to get all the Avengers variants they produced. This would have been around the New Avengers era when at least the first 10 issues or so had multiple variants. Then more variants were added to random issues then came Mighty Avengers and all the variants, then came Dark Avengers and all the variants, then came New Avengers vol 2, then 3 , then all the other spin off titles. I seem to recall U.S.Avengers had 50 variants for issue 1. 

Now I know, I didn’t have to buy them all but understand, at first the variants were rare and often less expensive.

it was a heartbreaking decision to stop cold turkey, actually my local comic store owner sold his store so it became a perfect time for me to walk away.

I'm bummed to hear this variant issue thing is still a practice because whether it was their fault or mine for trying to be a completist, this very thing cost them a life long comic collector. 

On 1/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, jkpopculture said:

Oh come on it's not that big a thing. Regardless of you're opinion on Disney it's not worth the energy. If you really are that angry about some comic books variant covers then you've probably got a pretty good Life. And if you are concerned about it being perceived as too silly for a spin on the comics about a purple man attempting to destroy the universe being thwarted by a silver man who surfs through space and a gold man who is an artificial perfect bring them maybe reexamine some things 

I'm not angry at all, not in the least. As a matter of fact it's the complete opposite. I'm laughing my effin' ayass off because it's so ridiculous and juvenile and just sooooooooo repetitive and predictable. Don't mistake my mockery of something so worthy of being mocked as hatred. Yes, comics by definition are fantasy and fiction and outlandish, but the reason we started reading Marvel comics is cuz we grew out of Disney comics. It's just so Disney, "Got a property you wanna promote? Me too. I got a great and so UNIQUE idea that everyone gonna love. What do you think about (insert property) with Disney characters?!?! Am I right?! Is it genius?! Of course it is!"

On 1/9/2023 at 11:03 PM, monron999 said:

I'm not angry at all, not in the least. As a matter of fact it's the complete opposite. I'm laughing my effin' ayass off because it's so ridiculous and juvenile and just sooooooooo repetitive and predictable. Yes, comics by definition are fantasy and fiction, but the reason we started reading Marvel comics is cuz we grew out of Disney comics. It's just so Disney, "Got a property you wanna promote? Me too. I got a great unique idea that everyone gonna love. What do you think about (insert property) with Disney characters?!?! Am I right?! Is it genius?! Of course it is!"

Dude it just a bunch of variant covers. Disney is not doing anything like what you are saying. Marvel are still writing the comics with very influence from Disney.

Also clean up your language. You may not be cursing but what you are writing is rude and quite vile.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, monron999 said:

I'm not angry at all, not in the least. As a matter of fact it's the complete opposite. I'm laughing my effin' ayass off because it's so ridiculous and juvenile and just sooooooooo repetitive and predictable. Yes, comics by definition are fantasy and fiction, but the reason we started reading Marvel comics is cuz we grew out of Disney comics. It's just so Disney, "Got a property you wanna promote? Me too. I got a great unique idea that everyone gonna love. What do you think about (insert property) with Disney characters?!?! Am I right?! Is it genius?! Of course it is!"

That's fair actually and I agree that variant covers are a dumb anti consumer relic . I'm sorry if I seemed overly defensive. It's just because there are certain comic fandom spaces where people get unreasonably toxic and I don't like how toxic fandoms in general have gotten. So I overreact in the opposite direction sometimes. My apologies for misjudging you