Marvel Legends Retro Collection Avalanche Video Review And Images

Outsiders

BlueComet takes a look at the Marvel Legends Retro Collection Avalanche from Hasbro.  This figure is available for pre-order from our sponsor Big Bad Toy Store.

Check out images for this set below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about it in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_01.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_02.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_03.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_04.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_05.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_06.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_07.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_08.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_09.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_10.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_11.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_12.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_13.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_14.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_15.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_16.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_17.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_18.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_19.jpg

Marvel_Legends_Retro_Collection_Avalanche_By_Bluecomet_20.jpg

I'm not totally sold on this figure. It looks like this might be one of those times, like the Scorpion figure, when Hasbro may not be able to outdo it's predecessor. Sure, his look is classic and basic, but damn, that Toybiz is one is amazing. I'm not a hundred percent, but if I had to make a bet I'd wager the artist who did that Avalanche for TB most likely did the Scorpion figure as well. Score two for TB over Hasbro.

Avalanche.jpg

Avalanche 2.jpg

Scorpion.jpg

Scorpion 2.jpg

This is my least favourite figure from this wave, that face sculpt is just odd to me, I can't put my finger on it, in hand this figure just seems sorta Blah, but with that being said it's actually a good representation of Avalanache and I really wanted it because of that, I'm happy to have him for the roster of X-Villains, and it is a good figure, it's just not personally my fav, not sure how much better they could have made this but a few accessories showcasing his powers might have made this a bit more pleasing.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

This is my least favourite figure from this wave, that face sculpt is just odd to me, I can't put my finger on it, in hand this figure just seems sorta Blah, but with that being said it's actually a good representation of Avalanache and I really wanted it because of that, I'm happy to have him for the roster of X-Villains, and it is a good figure, it's just not personally my fav, not sure how much better they could have made this but a few accessories showcasing his powers might have made this a bit more pleasing.

I think the figure's sculpt is sourced from the wrong image, IIRC John Byrne was the first artist to draw him, and had drawn his features somewhat blocky/craggy, suggesting a subtle rocky physique.  I don't think Hasbro or the sculptor were aware of that.

Avalanche | "How Would You Fix...?"

Edited by TheArrow
Added image

On 1/11/2023 at 1:37 PM, TheArrow said:

I think the figure's sculpt is sourced from the wrong image, IIRC John Byrne was the first artist to draw him, and had drawn his features somewhat blocky/craggy, suggesting a subtle rocky physique.  I don't think Hasbro or the sculptor were aware of that.

Avalanche | "How Would You Fix...?"

Kinda the same thing that happened with Omega Sentinel (among others) with the whole "we just looked it up on Google" BS excuse. For a company that has such a great back log of material and resource for reference they sure do depend on the most rudimentary methods of research. And then they somehow manage to pick the worst picture in that bunch. Whadda they do, basically take the first image that pops up and run with it? Y'know, there's a guy they have at Marvel whose job it is specifically to consult and provide information to Hasbro, but based on some of the things they do it looks like he's asleep at the wheel half the time too. What's his name? He used to be kind of a big deal in the Marvel Legends world. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come to me, eventually.

Yeah, an industry-liaison or something is a pretty important position because it protects the characters trademarks..  Disney uses it to ensure it's prime characters remain on-model. Marvel may be less reliant on such a position because so many of it's characters are artist interpretive anyways, but Marvel is now a Disney subsidiary, so....wtf?

DC seems to still abide by a model-sheet approach ( the old Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez style guides are an excellent example), with their figures over the last many years. You look at Superman or Batman and they resemble pretty much exactly the comic art depictions of them.

I've got this guy and the whole wave (minus Jean) in my pile of loot at BBTS as of today. I'm looking forward to getting them in hand, but I'll likely just wait until Jean and comic Moon Knight hit too since BBTS advised they're supposed to arrive this month also. For me there aren't any "must haves" from this retro wave like there is in the upcoming Ch'od BAF wave but I'm looking forward to each of the figures. There are no "losers" in the wave, in my opinion. Multiple Man is the probably the one that I like the most and I ordered 2 of him. Spiral is of course a figure of the year candidate and both Avalanche and Longhot were due for Hasbro re-do's of the Toy Biz versions. Wolverine is probably my least favorite but ordered him anyway to complete the team with the two 3-packs.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I think it's his puffy lips.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Oh, it's definitely the puffy lips. I noticed that a while ago since I was really looking forward to this character. Being a bad guy who moves earth, at least a scowl would have been preferable. But instead he looks like he put too much lipstick on before kissing Rogue.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jormungand said:

Oh, it's definitely the puffy lips. I noticed that a while ago since I was really looking forward to this character. Being a bad guy who moves earth, at least a scowl would have been preferable. But instead he looks like he put too much lipstick on before kissing Rogue.

Maybe he was drawn by Frank Quitely.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:25 AM, leokearon said:

Upon closer inspection, I believe this might be, his lips are too feminine, looks to be too full, yeah he needed something different going on with his facial expression maybe something more gruff, like a grimace or gritting his teeth.