MCU's Adam Warlock Not A Good Guy In GOTG Vol. 3

JayC

Empire magazine has released a look at the MCU's Adam Warlock (Will Poulter) who will be appearing in Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3.

In an interview with Empire, GOTG director James Gunn reveals that Adam Warlock will not be a good guy:

“But he’s definitely not a good guy. What we’re seeing is the infant form of Warlock, newly out of the cocoon, and he does not understand life very well. He’s basically a baby.”

I've reached a point where I still like the MCU, but it's not the same thing as the Marvel Universe and never will be.  They throw us bones from time to time ( Old Man Loki) but I'm no longer fussed about "comics-accuracy".  Just keep it in the spirit of things and I'm okay with it. 
I also acknowledge that some of the characters need to have story-arcs to get to where they are the characters we know, and that those arcs can take time.    Just entertain me along the way, m'kay?

Empire's statement is probably more designed to generate controversy (in other words, views) than anything else; Gunn's comments that he is "in his infant form", "does not understand life very well", are more accurate as to how the character will actually be seen. I compare it to the Sub-Mariner: in the Sub-Mariner's first appearance, he kills two deep sea divers, mainly because thinking they might be a threat. He'd never seen anything like them before (at this point he's a boy), he doesn't understand the world, doesn't know that there are people who can't breathe underwater as he and his people can, and need equipment and suits to survive. At any rate I can see where MCU Warlock might evolve to something closer to what we're used to seeing.

Ha, I said "evolve" and he's so closely tied to the High EVOLUtionary...

On 1/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, Atlantis said:

Empire's statement is probably more designed to generate controversy (in other words, views) than anything else; Gunn's comments that he is "in his infant form", "does not understand life very well", are more accurate as to how the character will actually be seen. I compare it to the Sub-Mariner: in the Sub-Mariner's first appearance, he kills two deep sea divers, mainly because thinking they might be a threat. He'd never seen anything like them before (at this point he's a boy), he doesn't understand the world, doesn't know that there are people who can't breathe underwater as he and his people can, and need equipment and suits to survive. At any rate I can see where MCU Warlock might evolve to something closer to what we're used to seeing.

Ha, I said "evolve" and he's so closely tied to the High EVOLUtionary...

that actually sound exactly how he started in the comics. He wasn't a hero and wasn't a villain. He just didn't understand anything about the universe.

I'm not surprised that he's more in the villain role, since Ayesha had said she was creating him to send after the GotG. That and he wasn't exactly a hero in the comics to start with as @tarot and @Atlantis just pointed out. All seems good to me, and Will Poulter looks far better as Warlock then I ever would have thought. Happily eating my words! Now...Hasbro, about those Classic Adam Warlock figures (v1 & v2) 🙂

Yeah this doesn't seem like any shocking news, when Adam first appeared in the books he wasn't really good, or bad, kinda morally ambiguous so I wouldn't have imagined he'd in his big screen debut just be a good guy.

I still don't know how I feel about this kid playing him, he looks I guess better then I expected but still..