The Avengers Stand Against A Cascade Of World-Ending Cataclysms In New Run

JayC

This May, superstar writer Jed MacKay and Marvel Stormbreaker artist C.F. Villa will take the reins of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes in a new run of AVENGERS just in time for the team’s milestone 60th anniversary!

MacKay and Villa’s AVENGERS will follow Jason Aaron’s monumental work on the title, currently wrapping up in the epic AVENGERS ASSEMBLE crossover. Readers will be introduced to an all-new Avengers lineup led by Captain Marvel that includes Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, and Vision. This team of some of Marvel’s greatest icons will assemble when they’re gifted with knowledge of THE TRIBULATION EVENTS, a series of grand-scale disasters that will spark upheaval throughout the known universe. Influential artist Stuart Immonen will make a celebrated return to Marvel Comics for the title, providing the ongoing series with breathtaking covers.

Fans got their first glimpse at MacKay’s overarching AVENGERS plan in last month’s year-ending one-shot, TIMELESS. Readers followed Kang in his hunt for the unobtainable “MISSING MOMENT,” an ambitious quest that put him in direct conflict with the Twilight Court, a group of strange super heroes led by the mysterious Myrddin. Now, a dangerous game is afoot and the prize is greater than anything imaginable… Enter the AVENGERS! Will they be able to triumph in the face of the Tribulation Events and learn the truth behind these earth-shattering threats? Or will they be reduced to mere pawns in an extraordinary scheme beyond their comprehension?

In addition to awe-inspiring new villains and never-before-seen architects of the cosmos, the upcoming saga will weave together insurmountable stakes and drama as the Avengers’ new missions take a heavy toll on the team’s trust in each other. The Tribulation Events will challenge the Avengers in bold ways and force them to prove, without a doubt, that they’re the most powerful force in the Marvel Universe. It all kicks off with a bang in May’s AVENGERS #1 when the Avengers confront Terminus and prepare for the first of the Tribulation Events: THE FALL OF THE IMPOSSIBLE CITY!

The Star. The Icon. The Witch. The Construct. The God. The Engineer. The King.

The world is ever in peril, and a new team of Avengers mobilizes to meet any dangers that dare threaten the planet. But when Terminus attacks, a new and insidious danger rears its head: one that the Avengers know all too well, and one that comes to them in the most dangerous of guises – that of a friend.

"I'm extremely excited to be launching the latest chapter of AVENGERS with my old Black Cat teammate C.F. Villa!” MacKay expressed. “I grew up on the Avengers, weaving in and out of their 60s and 70s exploits as a kid, and having the opportunity to plot the course of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a rush, especially coming from the street-level and/or weirdo niche I've been working in over the last couple of years. This is big, loud Avengers stuff—nothing in this story should ever feel small or inconsequential, and our lineup reflects that. Heavy hitters and iconic Avengers are to the fore—The Tribulation Events are coming, and only the Avengers can take them on."

Check out the cover of the debut issue below and witness the birth of a new Avengers era this May! PLUS, for a sneak peek at C.F. Villa’s iconic pencils and other never-before-seen artwork, pick up the STORMBREAKERS 2023 SKETCHBOOK in stores February 8th!

AVENGERS #1
Written by JED MACKAY
Art by C.F. VILLA
Cover by STUART IMMONEN
On Sale 5/17

AVEN2023001_Cov.jpg

Finally! An all-classic lineup! We're finally finished with the era of throwing darts at a board to see who hasn't been an Avenger yet! I'm a little miffed at the lack of Steve Rogers, but THIS is a roster I can get behind! Love seeing Vision go back to his 90's look, and it's awesome to see Vision and Wanda on the roster together. And, that cover is damn near poster-worthy. We're finally getting CLASSIC Avengers again! Let's just hope that the interior art will be worthy of the lineup. Too bad we can't have Immonen as anything more than a cover artist. He's amazing.

Between MacKay taking Avengers from Aaron and Duggan taking Iron Man from Cantwell, I'm happy to see that nature is healing.

MacKay in particular has been a beast, and all of his Marvel work has been steller, particularly his current Moon Knight run. I've also loved the way he's written Iron Man in Black Cat, Iron Man Annual and Iron Cat. He was at the top of my wishlist for Cantwell's successor, but him writing Avengers is the next best thing, especially since Tony is going to remain in the roster.

Also happy to see Vizh back in the fold. It was about time the Avengers had more classic members back. I could use the Wasp and Hawkeye being added, but I'm satisfied as it is now. Who knows, maybe the roster can shake up a bit down the line and add people like Jan and Clint.

Great to see a lineup of classic Avengers.  I liked that they added new faces like Ghost Rider and Nighthawk but anytime we get a roster of proven, long time Avengers is a win.

No surprise to see Sam in place of Steve with his upcoming movie but  hopefully we will see Steve back where he belongs before too long

Heres hoping this is a return to greatness for the best team in comics

On 1/23/2023 at 3:41 AM, McHogan said:

Great to see a lineup of classic Avengers.  I liked that they added new faces like Ghost Rider and Nighthawk but anytime we get a roster of proven, long time Avengers is a win.

No surprise to see Sam in place of Steve with his upcoming movie but  hopefully we will see Steve back where he belongs before too long

Heres hoping this is a return to greatness for the best team in comics

I'm surprised there isn't at least one new member, every writer tends to add a new member.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:56 AM, leokearon said:

I'm surprised there isn't at least one new member, every writer tends to add a new member.

I know I would if I were the writer. But I'd try to give my new Avenger an Avengers worthy arc. Seems most new members are very forgettable during their run ( too many to name but what did Ex Nihilo, Nighthawk, Blue Marvel,  or even Ghost Rider add to the team's Legacy?)

As far as the new writer adding a new member... maybe they figure been there done that. Time to go back to basics....who knows, but this looks to be a fun lineup

On 1/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, McHogan said:

I know I would if I were the writer. But I'd try to give my new Avenger an Avengers worthy arc. Seems most new members are very forgettable during their run ( too many to name but what did Ex Nihilo, Nighthawk, Blue Marvel,  or even Ghost Rider add to the team's Legacy?)

As far as the new writer adding a new member... maybe they figure been there done that. Time to go back to basics....who knows, but this looks to be a fun lineup

Every incarnation of The Avengers since Bendis' original New Avengers run has had "wildcard" members thrown into the roster. Some worked out pretty well. Others, namely all the new members Jason Aaron added in have been terrible. Personally, I would take the opposite approach. I would bring back forgotten/obscure Avengers to the fold, and give them a revamp. There are so many great former Avengers sitting on the sidelines, and instead of showing them some love, they continue throwing darts at a board, and picking characters like Squirrel Girl and Nighthawk to be on the team. It's a joke. I'm happy with this new lineup. It's gonna be the first time since 2005 that we've had an all classic roster. Maybe we can finally have Hank Pym back?

On 1/24/2023 at 1:02 AM, McHogan said:

Blue Marvel did quite a bit being the team's powerhouse and scientist, and is actually a pretty cool character.