Morbius Receives Five Razzie Awards Nominations

Outsiders

And the winner for the worst goes too...

The 43rd Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Nominations were announced and Marvel Studio's Morbius has been nominated for five different categories including worst picture, Jared Leto for worst actor, Adria Arjona for worst supporting actress, Daniel Espinosa for the worst director, and worst screen story and screenplay by Matt Sazama & Burk Sharpless.

The winners will be announced on March 11th, the day before the Academy Awards.

Seriously, Sony. Give Marvel Studios / Disney full creative control, get out of their way and collect your share of the money.... or better yet, just sell them the rights for all of the Spidey characters and be done with it, please.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, Reno said:

Seriously, Sony. Give Marvel Studios / Disney full creative control, get out of their way and collect your share of the money.... or better yet, just sell them the rights for all of the Spidey characters and be done with it, please.

Sure but Spider-Man is the only one of these characters Disney really gives a damn about. Disney has no interest or incentive to make a Morbius movie, or Kraven movoe, or whatever other random Spider-adjacent character Sony chooses next (aside from maybe Miles) It doesn’t benefit them to help Sony make their movies. 

On the bright side, if Sony keeps pumping their money into these garbage Spidermanless Spiderman films, maybe they’ll finally go bankrupt and be forced to sell it all back to Marvel to stay afloat. 

On 1/24/2023 at 12:55 AM, glhshelby said:

Sure but Spider-Man is the only one of these characters Disney really gives a damn about. Disney has no interest or incentive to make a Morbius movie, or Kraven movoe, or whatever other random Spider-adjacent character Sony chooses next (aside from maybe Miles) It doesn’t benefit them to help Sony make their movies. 

because they can't. Sony only allowed Marvel to use the Spider-man if they could make those movies. If Marvel had the license, they wouldn't make Morbius or Kraven true but they would use them as villains in Spider-man movies and Morbius could easily be a guess star in Blade, leading up to a nIghtstalker or midnight son. 

Well this is proof that the judges from these awards are all bought and paid for. Morbius was CHEATED. They should have had SIX razzies instead of five. 

I will BOYCOTT the board for this outrage. I will never NEVER attend not one of the movies they give this award to. How do they look themselves in the mirror? They will pay dearly for this, and we need to run them out of town.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:58 PM, tarot said:

because they can't. Sony only allowed Marvel to use the Spider-man if they could make those movies. If Marvel had the license, they wouldn't make Morbius or Kraven true but they would use them as villains in Spider-man movies and Morbius could easily be a guess star in Blade, leading up to a nIghtstalker or midnight son. 

No, I know all that, but that’s the point I was making. Making a solo film starring most of those characters is not a great proposition and Marvel knows that. It’s not beneficial to them to help Sony make theirs, or to pay them to use those characters in their own movies are. And they did that with Spider-Man because, well, he’s Spider-Man, and one of the most recognizable characters on the planet. 

Im sure there are are lots of other Spider-Man characters that Marvel would love to use somewhere in their own movies, but not enough to pay Sony for. 

It's just time for Sony to stop chasing the ghost. Sure, Spider-Man has been a gold mine, but how many times are they gonna be able to reboot the damn thing before it's jumped the shark. All these rando rogues villains movies aren't gonna pay out. Spidey is all they got that's gonna make any money. Venom pays out a bit, but for how long? What they need to do is some kind of deal to keep the Spiderverse animation rights and just sell the movie rights back to Disney for a boat load of cash. This is the only option they have. Or keep rebooting Spidey till the cows come home.

spacer.png

this should be a wake up call to Sony, not saying they need to hand over their roster of Z-List Spidey Characters, but just that if they are going to make these WTH movies, they really need to do better, this movie was not it, and clearly people didn't turn a blind eye to how rough this movie was, this should either make Sony second guess some of the recent choices for Marvel films or hand over the chest of characters to Marvel Studios who can do it better, just give the rights over to Marvel/Disney and keep a clause they get a chunk of money for the licensing rights, at least they can make some profit and not look like a bunch of fools.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:26 AM, monron999 said:

It's just time for Sony to stop chasing the ghost. Sure, Spider-Man has been a gold mine, but how many times are they gonna be able to reboot the damn thing before it's jumped the shark. All these rando rogues villains movies aren't gonna pay out. Spidey is all they got that's gonna make any money. Venom pays out a bit, but for how long? What they need to do is some kind of deal to keep the Spiderverse animation rights and just sell the movie rights back to Disney for a boat load of cash. This is the only option they have. Or keep rebooting Spidey till the cows come home.

I completely agree, their current plan is crap because they’re crap at making films. But from their perspective, it doesn’t make sense to sell back Spidey. It’s literally THE core franchise of their entire, nearly bankrupt film studio. And they’re the only studio that managed to actually buy the film rights to a character like that outright, rather than a normal licensing deal. So it’s their milk cow, no matter how badly they abuse it. As far as they’re concerned there’s always the chance the next film could be a winner (I blame the basically accidental success of Venom for that)

The only chance they will ever sell back the film rights to Spidey is if they go completely bankrupt (which is very possible). 

The problem here is that its all weak sauce; no matter how you spin it, all of these guys are standing in Spider-Man's shadow and without him, they just don't cut it. Even if you watch these and know he's not going to show, you can't help but hope that he'll at least make a cameo appearance. But you can't make an entire movie off that. 

All these silly projects need to just stop. No, I don't need to know how Batman's butler lived when he was in his 20s. Don't care about Superman's grandfather wearing leather jackets, or the life of the guy who refills the vending machines at Stark International, or that the seamstress/shoemaker who made Captain America's first set of boots is actually still alive and living nicely in a retirement home in Queens. In the hands of gifted writers these things might be able to work, absent the main characters that everybody WANTS to see. But for the likes of Sony, this is just a cash grab; they bought up these characters knowing next to nothing about them and thinking that because one movie with a guy in a costume made mega millions, any of them will. 

So is the plan here like an anti-Avengers, where each villain gets their own movie and then they unite in a Sinister Six thing with Spider-Man? Except for Venom, I guess, who is in his own universe. Or at least Tom Hardy's Venom, now that a piece of the alien was randomly dropped off in the MCU. Is there actually a master plan that will make these movies slightly more interesting as back stories?

On 1/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, Goldbug said:

or Spider-Woman

or Black Cat

They had plans for a Black Cat and a Silver Sable movie and they scrapped both. Then they wanted to put the two in the one movie and scrapped that. Clearly they are too much of a big name to use.

I really hope that the Kraven movie bombs, and Sony reconsiders all of these poorly-thought-out movies that focus on random villains and supporting characters. A Madame Web movie (except she's young and hot!)? They're making bad choices that would be comedically terrible, if I didn't care about the characters. We're being deprived of Spidey movies with a variety of his villains because of this Sony goofiness. 

On 1/29/2023 at 1:35 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

I really hope that the Kraven movie bombs, and Sony reconsiders all of these poorly-thought-out movies that focus on random villains and supporting characters. A Madame Web movie (except she's young and hot!)? They're making bad choices that would be comedically terrible, if I didn't care about the characters. We're being deprived of Spidey movies with a variety of his villains because of this Sony goofiness. 

Cassandra Webb passed on the Madame Web mantle to Julia Carpenter, so there is a young and attractive Madame Web in the comics. That said, the likelihood that movie or Kraven will be any good are incredibly slim. Venom should have been a flop and Sony seems to have learned the wrong lessons from Morbius.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:44 PM, Satam said:

Cassandra Webb passed on the Madame Web mantle to Julia Carpenter, so there is a young and attractive Madame Web in the comics. That said, the likelihood that movie or Kraven will be any good are incredibly slim. Venom should have been a flop and Sony seems to have learned the wrong lessons from Morbius.

Ahhhh, ok. That at least makes a bit more sense, then- I'm not up on the current comics. I assumed it was just typical Hollywood goofiness. Yeah, I've been surprised by how well the two Venom movies have done- Venom is a character that is just so intrinsically tied to Spider-Man/Peter Parker, that my interest level in movies that completely divorce his backstory from Spidey's is very limited. Kraven seems like one of the least-likely Spidey villains to be able to make a decent solo film about- Morbius, after first appearing in Spidey comics, at least established himself as his own "dark hero." It was still a terrible idea to make a poorly-written solo movie about him, but Kraven? That's a real head scratcher. 

• 1 month later...

The 43rd Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) has awarded Marvel Studio's Morbius two awards.  The first award is for Jared Leto for worst actor and the second is for Adria Arjona for worst supporting actress.

The 43rd Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Nominations were announced in January and the award ceremony took place this afternoon, March 11th, the day before the Academy Awards.