Marvel Legends Guardians Of The Galaxy Comic Yondu Figure Revealed

JayC

On 1/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Reno said:

It's about to flip, which should make you happy. The rest of the reveals that we'll get for the first half of the year will likely be almost all MCU or tv related with Quantumania, GOTG3, Marvels, Disney+ wave, Best of MCU wave and the X-Men '97 animated wave. The next comic waves will be a Spider-Man wave and there's a 2-pack of Hyperion and Dr. Spectrum both due out in August, but they'll likely get revealed after most, if not all of that MCU/TV stuff.

I'm just the opposite of you, I only buy MCU characters if they've never had a comic release (Attuma, Mantis, Collector, Grandmaster, Korg, Wong, etc) - so I've been thrilled with the recent reveals, but will likely be bored out of my mind all spring/summer when they're showing mostly MCU figures that I just don't care about. That's just the way it seems to be working out this year - but the MCU stuff is definitely coming. It'll even out.

We all have our personal preferences and I think Hasbro tries to hit them all. For me personally, the comics are THE source material that I've been reading my whole life whereas as I see the MCU as something that just tries to copy them (sometimes well, sometimes poorly) where all the actors are inevitably all going to be recast and replaced, so I don't get attached to the actors that play them or the figure representations of those actors. Anyone who thinks there's not going to be a different actor who ends up playing Steve Rogers or Tony Stark down the line (for example) is kidding themselves, possibly as soon as Secret Wars. Again it's just how I look at it, I just see the MCU versions as temporary versions of the characters whereas I see the comic versions as timeless representations. Again, just my opinion - not putting down MCU figures, but they're just not my personal preference. Fortunately Hasbro makes enough figures of both.

I definitely get that, we had a lot of MCU stuff last year, it just feels like its been a super long time since we've gotten anything recently, especially since per Hasbro's track record with movie waves, we should have seen this wave already, maybe even have it in hand by now. For me personally, the only comics I read before getting invested in the MCU were Spider-Man related, so I understand the desire for comic figures. I personally don't see the MCU as trying to copy the comics, I see it as just a different universe, with its own rules and characters. 

But I know we're getting a lot of MCU stuff this year, and I also wouldn't like if they blew their load now and didn't have anything for the rest of the year, it's just a little hard to wait when we should have had the Ant-Man wave already and Funko has already gotten out not only the Ant-Man stuff but also the rest of the NWH stuff and even GOTG3 now. Honestly, now that I think about it, they usually start off the year with either a Spider-Man or MCU wave, so the fact that they started with X-Men this year makes it seem extra dry on my end.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:49 AM, Atlantis said:

Agree. I never connected with the current roster, as fun as the movie was. And while its good that Starlord is coming in his first appearance, he wasn't part of the team then (they first formed in '69 and then again in their most familiar outfits, '74. Starlord appeared in '76).

I'm fine with Yondu by himself, but a box set of the entire team (including corrected Vance Astro on the vulcan buck) would probably have been the better option. 

Totally agree that hasbro needs to finish off these uncompleted teams! Imagine if they had ended 2022 that way. 

Always enjoy your perspective, so here is a question: what do you think would happen to the legends line if they completed the teams?  I think Hasbro knows this is what keeps us connected to the hobby - if we had completed teams we were happy with, would we collect new versions of characters, or be as engaged?  I would (I will always replace a figure with a better version/costume/buck), but I wonder if Hasbro fears people would stop collecting if they got all the specific teams they wanted. Thoughts?

On 1/24/2023 at 8:29 AM, Atlantis said:

Everybody now....recall that golden oldie from way back in 1995....

THIS IS HOW WE DO IT!

First look, its fantastic....the belt, the quiver strap, the colors....true, the badge insignia was originally red white and blue, but there a number of appearances where it was just yellow. He should be on a larger buck of course. 

Now this I would go out and buy instantly. Along with the upcoming Spiral, has my vote already for best of 2023!

Just shows what they can do when they try. Really great job here, if these pics are any indication!

Just got Spiral - absolutely magnificent! 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, JayC said:

I would love to see Hasbro do the entire original team of Guardians as those have always been my preferred members for that team. That being said I dont have a lot of faith in Hasbro will do that being they have so many teams now with outstanding team members being done as figures that I am pretty hesitant on getting this one. Yondu by himself doesnt interest me that much. I feel like Hasbro needs to start completing existing teams like New Warriors, Thunderbolts, X-Force, X-Factor, Alpha Flight before starting new ones. And yes we got the older Vance years ago so you could throw Guardians in as an uncompleted team as well they already started, but Gurdians are much more uncompleted than the others.

They haven't even done ANY figures from the Modern Guardians, which at least have a little bit of tie-in with the MCU as it is the team the movies are based on. Sure we've gotten did the EE exclusive but it the Star Lord was an older version, and then the Walmart Exclusive is an even older version. The entire movie arc is already at it's end and none of the characters from which it is based on have been released in mass retail. We need Star-Lord in his Leather, Gamora in her armor, Drax (without the MCU figure's legs), and the Rocket BAF and the Groot with the comic style head sculpt re-released. The fact that these versions of Star-Lord and Gamora, at the very least, have not been done is just crazy to me at this point, much less expecting them to finish the original GOTG team. They do, however, have all the body molds needed to do the team. Martinex would use the AoA Iceman and Charlie-27 could use either the Omega Red buck or the Thanos (comic) buck.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, Psychosomatic said:

Always enjoy your perspective, so here is a question: what do you think would happen to the legends line if they completed the teams?  I think Hasbro knows this is what keeps us connected to the hobby - if we had completed teams we were happy with, would we collect new versions of characters, or be as engaged?  I would (I will always replace a figure with a better version/costume/buck), but I wonder if Hasbro fears people would stop collecting if they got all the specific teams they wanted. Thoughts?

I honestly don't believe they have a plan or a coherent thought on the process of completing teams. They probably view some teams as more popular than others, so they hit those more than the others (Avengers, X-Men). At the same time, those teams have ever-expanding rosters, so there's no danger of "running out". They don't favor the Fantastic Four as much but they're missing out there, 'cause while the team itself has 4 members, they have a WORLD of other things affiliated. Tons of allies, enemies, equipment, uniforms, vehicles, etc. In fact they have so many, that you could do a number of waves and not have to carry the main 4 members:

1. Mr. Fantastic, future foundation suit
  2. The Thing, overcoat/sunglasses
  3. Sandman, green armored chem suit
  4. Triton
  5. Air-Walker
  6. Thundra (finally some re-use for the She-Hulk figure)
  7. Impossible Man

BAF: Dragon Man 

1. Invisible Woman, short sleeve suit, force field "dome" accessory
  2. Human Torch (red suit)
  3. Sub-Mariner (70s water wings suit)
  4. Arkon the Magnificent, shield and bolt quiver accessories
  5. Mole Man
  6. Nova (red skin, yellow unitard suit)
  7. Wizard

BAF: Annihilus

You get the idea....lots of things here they could do. They could keep that going till you have a complete set of F4 in their white suits, short sleeve, classic, Neg Zone, etc,

On 1/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, Psychosomatic said:

"...what do you think would happen to the legends line if they completed the teams?  I think Hasbro knows this is what keeps us connected to the hobby - if we had completed teams we were happy with, would we collect new versions of characters, or be as engaged.... but I wonder if Hasbro fears people would stop collecting if they got all the specific teams they wanted..."

Also I don't see that by not doing Rachel Phoenix for Excalibur, or Marinna for Alpha Flight, is going to keep fans engaged; they would be (and are) whether they're done or not. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who got the Alpha Flight box set were happy with it, but if another one came out with updated figures, and this time with Marinna and a new Vindicator instead of Heather, they'd snap that up too. Just as an example. 

On 1/24/2023 at 12:52 PM, Atlantis said:

I honestly don't believe they have a plan or a coherent thought on the process of completing teams. They probably view some teams as more popular than others, so they hit those more than the others (Avengers, X-Men). At the same time, those teams have ever-expanding rosters, so there's no danger of "running out". They don't favor the Fantastic Four as much but they're missing out there, 'cause while the team itself has 4 members, they have a WORLD of other things affiliated. Tons of allies, enemies, equipment, uniforms, vehicles, etc. In fact they have so many, that you could do a number of waves and not have to carry the main 4 members:

1. Mr. Fantastic, future foundation suit
  2. Thing, overcoat/sunglasses
  3. Sandman, armored suit
  4. Triton
  5. Air-Walker
  6. Thundra
  7. Impossible Man

BAF: Dragon Man 

1. Invisible Woman, short sleeve suit, force field "dome" accessory
  2. Human Torch (red suit)
  3. Sub-Mariner (70s water wings suit)
  4. Arkon
  5. Mole Man
  6. Nova (red skin, yellow unitard suit)
  7. Wizard

BAF: Annihilus

You get the idea....lots of things here they could do. They could keep that going till you have a complete set of F4 in their white suits, short sleeve, classic, Neg Zone, etc,

Solid feedback, and LOVE your suggested waves!!!  Maybe we should all start posting our thoughts on complete waves to maybe help them along!  Here goes mine (if I could do this together in 20 minutes, Hasbro can too):

Thor VOLSTAGG BAF Wave with Hogun, Fandral, Valkyrie, Beta Ray Bill, Heal, Odin, Siff

Guardians CHARLIE BAF Wave with classic version of Moondragon, Adam Warlock, Martinez, Nikki, Vance, Kree, Drax

Ghost Rider BLACKHEART BAF Wave with Mephisto, Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Frankenstein, Zombie, Dracula, Blackout

X-men Alpha Flight BOX BAF Wave with Karma (Classic New Mutants costume), Lady Mastermind (Marauders), Nightcrawler (AOA), Beast (Classic Costume), Gaia (Gen X), Bishop (the Last X-Man costume), Wade Cole (Reavers)

X-Men HARPOON BAF Wave with Patch Wolverine, Marine (Alpha Flight), Magik (Classic New Mutants costume), Wolfsbane (Uncanny X-Force), Hellion (Gen X), Macon (Reavers), Nightcrawler (Uncanny X'Force)

X-Men SHADOW KING BAF Wave with Angel (Classic Costume), Deathbird, Talisman (Alpha Flight), Sunspot (Classic New Mutants Costume), Storm (AOA), Raza (Starjammers), Mimic (X-Men)

X-Men "Ice Slide" BAF Wave with Iceman (Classic Costume), Marrow (X-Men), Magma (Classic New Mutants Costume), Warpath (Uncanny X-Force), Reese (Reavers), Hepzibah (Starjammers), Pixie (Gen X)

X-Men MONDO BAF Wave with Cannonball (Classic New Mutants costume), Mastermind (X-Men), Feral (X-Force), Cypher (Classic New Mutants Costume), Scalphunter (Marauders), Copycat (Starjammers), Malice (Marauders)

X-Force GRIZZLY BAF Wave with Cyclops (Classic Costume), Penance (Gen X), Dakken (X-Men), Elixir (Uncanny X-Force), Riptide (Marauders), Prism (Marauders), Wolfsbane (Classic New Mutants Costume)

Gen X STATURE BAF Wave with X-23 (Gen X), Donald Pierce (Reavers), Mirage (Classic New Mutants Costume), Fabian Cortez (X-Men), Archangel (Uncanny X-Force), Marvel Girl (Classic Costume), Husk (Gen X)

X-Men BROOD BAF Wave with Angel (AOA), Banshee (First Appearance), Skin (Gen X), Sync (Gen X), Jubilee (Gen X), Archlight (Marauders), Vanisher (Uncanny X-Force)

On 1/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Psychosomatic said:

Solid feedback, and LOVE your suggested waves!!!  Maybe we should all start posting our thoughts on complete waves to maybe help them along!  Here goes mine (if I could do this together in 20 minutes, Hasbro can too):

Thor VOLSTAGG BAF Wave with Hogun, Fandral, Valkyrie, Beta Ray Bill, Heal, Odin, Siff

Guardians CHARLIE BAF Wave with classic version of Moondragon, Adam Warlock, Martinez, Nikki, Vance, Kree, Drax

Ghost Rider BLACKHEART BAF Wave with Mephisto, Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Frankenstein, Zombie, Dracula, Blackout

X-men Alpha Flight BOX BAF Wave with Karma (Classic New Mutants costume), Lady Mastermind (Marauders), Nightcrawler (AOA), Beast (Classic Costume), Gaia (Gen X), Bishop (the Last X-Man costume), Wade Cole (Reavers)

X-Men HARPOON BAF Wave with Patch Wolverine, Marine (Alpha Flight), Magik (Classic New Mutants costume), Wolfsbane (Uncanny X-Force), Hellion (Gen X), Macon (Reavers), Nightcrawler (Uncanny X'Force)

X-Men SHADOW KING BAF Wave with Angel (Classic Costume), Deathbird, Talisman (Alpha Flight), Sunspot (Classic New Mutants Costume), Storm (AOA), Raza (Starjammers), Mimic (X-Men)

X-Men "Ice Slide" BAF Wave with Iceman (Classic Costume), Marrow (X-Men), Magma (Classic New Mutants Costume), Warpath (Uncanny X-Force), Reese (Reavers), Hepzibah (Starjammers), Pixie (Gen X)

X-Men MONDO BAF Wave with Cannonball (Classic New Mutants costume), Mastermind (X-Men), Feral (X-Force), Cypher (Classic New Mutants Costume), Scalphunter (Marauders), Copycat (Starjammers), Malice (Marauders)

X-Force GRIZZLY BAF Wave with Cyclops (Classic Costume), Penance (Gen X), Dakken (X-Men), Elixir (Uncanny X-Force), Riptide (Marauders), Prism (Marauders), Wolfsbane (Classic New Mutants Costume)

Gen X STATURE BAF Wave with X-23 (Gen X), Donald Pierce (Reavers), Mirage (Classic New Mutants Costume), Fabian Cortez (X-Men), Archangel (Uncanny X-Force), Marvel Girl (Classic Costume), Husk (Gen X)

X-Men BROOD BAF Wave with Angel (AOA), Banshee (First Appearance), Skin (Gen X), Sync (Gen X), Jubilee (Gen X), Archlight (Marauders), Vanisher (Uncanny X-Force)

Love your lists. It hits a lot of holes in the X-Verse and the surprisingly anemic ML Ghost Rider-Verse, and you broke up characters from the same teams into different waves to keep the interest alive. I like it, but I just have one question. What's up with Harpoon as a BAF? As a character he's about the same height and build as Wolverine and has object charging powers similar to Gambit. He's not that big, nor would his power representation need be large enough to qualify as (standard) BAF material. I'm not gonna assume, but did you perhaps confuse Harpoon with Riptide, who would require maybe a base and a "tornado" effect to represent his powers. Either that or perhaps Blockbuster who, depending on who draws him, might be of a size for BAF, though personally, as he was shown to be shorter than Colossus, would probably be suited well enough with the Omega Red mold, with the likes of Warpath.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:00 PM, Ironspider428 said:

It's more of just a representation of the sheer lack of anything MCU related recently. We've had like 3 livestreams and several reveals and absolutely nothing MCU except for that What If Gamora. I'm just really getting tired of not seeing them reveal anything I'm interested in except for that overpriced PS5 Spider-Man and few pipeline reveals.

I feel you man, I'm only MCU collecting right now and the drought (while welcomed financially) is pain.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, monron999 said:

Love your lists. It hits a lot of holes in the X-Verse and the surprisingly anemic ML Ghost Rider-Verse, and you broke up characters from the same teams into different waves to keep the interest alive. I like it, but I just have one question. What's up with Harpoon as a BAF? As a character he's about the same height and build as Wolverine and has object charging powers similar to Gambit. He's not that big, nor would his power representation need be large enough to qualify as (standard) BAF material. I'm not gonna assume, but did you perhaps confuse Harpoon with Riptide, who would require maybe a base and a "tornado" effect to represent his powers. Either that or perhaps Blockbuster who, depending on who draws him, might be of a size for BAF, though personally, as he was shown to be shorter than Colossus, would probably be suited well enough with the Omega Red mold, with the likes of Warpath.

Damn, I absolutely did mean Blockbuster!!! Thanks for catching that! 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:22 PM, Psychosomatic said:

There's already a thread for that

No one on Earth can make me go from orbital velocity bliss to gastric ulcer faster than Hasbro and their blasted exclusives. Not even my worst relationship had that dubious distinction. Yes, he'll be a TrU exclusive in Canada, and just North of 50$. Added to that this whole issue with these new boxes and we have ourselves a no sale. Galactus-Almighty this team can be such a goon-squad at times with these Troll moves.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, Air-Walker said:

No one on Earth can make me go from orbital velocity bliss to gastric ulcer faster than Hasbro and their blasted exclusives. Not even my worst relationship had that dubious distinction. Yes, he'll be a TrU exclusive in Canada, and just North of 50$. Added to that this whole issue with these new boxes and we have ourselves a no sale. Galactus-Almighty this team can be such a goon-squad at times with these Troll moves.

You do know it's not Dwight and his team that decides if something should be exclusive or not, right? It people much higher up than them. 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, monron999 said:

First off, long overdue and glad Yondu finally got some love. My issue, cuz I always have one, again is with the use of the Sunfire buck for another long overdue, long awaited figure who stands over 6 foot tall . Throw him in the same "looks good, but still wrong" pile with Silver Surfer, Firelord, Falcon, and others. I'll take the head sculpt and do it right myself. Again.

agreed. the reaper or vulcan mold would have been the better choices for sure.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Psychosomatic said:

These are all solid ideas, but truthfully in most cases I'm guessing a major factor why we haven't seen such a thing already is the lack of marquee characters. Realistically you're probably not ever gonna see a wave made up of Thor supporting characters but not Thor himself (hell, Thor himself has been pretty hard up for waves for quite a while).

I imagine the same thing's true of the classic Guardians. Without any sort of movie tie-in you're probably just not gonna get retailers excited about a wave headlined by the likes of Charlie-27 and Starhawk. I think an Amazon box set might be doable though.