Another Marvel Legends Reveal Coming Tomorrow (1/26) - Could It Be A New Deluxe Figure?

JayC

On 1/26/2023 at 4:40 PM, Reno said:

From the pictures provided, I think is pretty safe to say that Hyperion comes with an extra set of hands (the pics show closed fists and slightly open for both left and right) and that Dr. Spectrum comes with two of those standard round effects piece, the one jewel and an extra set of hands (pics show two different types of hand for both left and right). I wouldn't expect anything else.

Yeah- which, to be fair is an OK amount of pieces, but I was hoping there might somehow be an unmasked Hyperion head in there. I suppose I can see if the old one will fit. Still, this is a solid set. I'm not blown away, but I'm happy with it. 

On 1/27/2023 at 3:32 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

Yeah- which, to be fair is an OK amount of pieces, but I was hoping there might somehow be an unmasked Hyperion head in there. I suppose I can see if the old one will fit. Still, this is a solid set. I'm not blown away, but I'm happy with it. 

An alternate unmasked Hyperion head would have been nice

On 1/27/2023 at 6:40 AM, super-chillin said:

"if they make whizzer and nighthawk to join these two, that’d be enough squadron for me..."
A15CD871-9350-4BFB-B109-DEB4E8160A96.thumb.png.8bd11898acb21079016cc9cf5c338144.png

Agree, and at the same time, not to go off topic, I'd like to see WWII Whizzer before this guy gets made....also, Nighthawk (Thanos BAF) needs a re-do...

Always stunned that they designed the first Nighthawk in that Groucho Mark "beak" , and didn't see how ridiculous he looked. But its the wonder of Comics....what passes on the page will never make it in real life. Lookin' at you, yellow Wolverine.....

DEF.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 8:06 AM, watanabefan said:

I suspect if they do more we'll just get Warrior Woman, Blur, and maybe a new Nighthawk. The key thing here is that the Hyperion on this set technically isn't the classic version; it's the more recent Earth-616 Hyperion from the Squadron Supreme of America. The differences are minor, but the cape and boots are a dead giveaway, and that's also the art used on the box.

91pczhsqgFS.jpg

So I could see Hasbro completing that lineup, since it's only five characters.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:07 AM, tarot said:

you say that but we get characters like Rock Python, Orb, Frog Man and many many more who as way more obscure then the Squadron. Zarda can easily be slotted into an Avengers wave, who any of the movie tie-in beyond Spider-man.

But I would definitely argue that those are less obscure than lady lark, blue eagle, Nuke, or Tom Thumb.  Rock Python still fits with Serpent Society that we had others of and is seen regularly including some cartoons.  Orb is one of the few GR villains not made and he was announced during GR’s anniversary, plus you still see him in the background in a lot of comics.  Same with Frog Man.  If there is a group of villains, there is a chance you will see one or all three of these.  The other Squadron members for the most part not only don’t exist in 616 universe to appear in the background, don’t even appear in the last several iterations of the Squadron

On 1/26/2023 at 7:12 PM, McHogan said:

"...Let's pretend that Hasbro is committed to completing all these teams they started:

How many Squadron members make the cut? For me, the 80s limited series team that homages the Justice League ( the two in this set, Nighthawk, whizzer, Lady Lark, Amphibian, Power Princess, Blue Eagle, Nuke, Tom Thumb, Golden Archer, Arcana, skrull guy... done.. need no more)...."

Your key phrase is "pretend Hasbro is committed to completing these teams"....we've just not seen that they are in any hurry to do. I exclude Avengers and X-Men because their rosters are always gaining new members, but some teams are more static than others.

3-4 years ago, there was Vindicator/Guardian, the Sasquatch BAF, Alpha Flight box set, but no Marrina. The first time they did the original GOTG  was about 5 years ago with Vance, no members since then. I think the first New Warriors was Night Thrasher, 4-5 years ago. Last time we saw a classic Valkyrie was what, 12 years ago? If they're wanting to complete these teams, time is not something they seem to consider. In the interview Boog did during the Yondu reveal, he asked if the other og members were coming, and they said not at this time. Why, who knows. So Rachel Summers Phoenix, Marrina, Namorita, Martinex, Triton, Gorgon, not to mention any of the golden age guys like the original Human Torch or Bucky....oh well. 

On 1/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, Atlantis said:

Your key phrase is "pretend Hasbro is committed to completing these teams"....we've just not seen that they are in any hurry to do. I exclude Avengers and X-Men because their rosters are always gaining new members, but some teams are more static than others.

3-4 years ago, there was Vindicator/Guardian, the Sasquatch BAF, Alpha Flight box set, but no Marrina. The first time they did the original GOTG  was about 5 years ago with Vance, no members since then. I think the first New Warriors was Night Thrasher, 4-5 years ago. Last time we saw a classic Valkyrie was what, 12 years ago? If they're wanting to complete these teams, time is not something they seem to consider. In the interview Boog did during the Yondu reveal, he asked if the other og members were coming, and they said not at this time. Why, who knows. So Rachel Summers Phoenix, Marrina, Namorita, Martinex, Triton, Gorgon, not to mention any of the golden age guys like the original Human Torch or Bucky....oh well. 

And then they throw you off.  I thought they were going into getting a lot of MI-13.  We got Blade who was directly based on his look from that book, then at the British con announcements I think back to back they announced Black Knight and then Union Jack.  We had Captain Britain in the costume he wore going into that book, and then recently got the Excalibur box set that gets us even further.  But then they stop with ones that would help finish other teams.  Pete Wisdom also for Excalibur and Spitfire for more Captain America/Invaders characters (and union Jack’s partner/blade’s…girlfriend? Ex?  Something). Even the Excalibur the box set had a design EXACTLY like how it looked in that book

On 1/29/2023 at 3:32 PM, Atlantis said:

I agree with your points and chose my words specifically to point out that most fans know full well that Hasbro has no urgency to complete teams even when there is just one or two remaining members left.

I too never add teams like the Avengers and XMen because as you've said, their lineups are continually adding new members. Instead for the Avengers, I just grab the members as they are released and wait for the next. 

But for teams like Alpha Flight and Excalibur where the choice to not complete the teams is glaring at this point. I've always assumed teams like the Squardon and the Serpent Society would never truly be completed, and that is fine, just hit the main members. But when fans have asked for Phoenix, Marrina etc but Hasbro still throws no bone it gets hard to think ots anything other than intentional. 

On 1/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, Atlantis said:

. In the interview Boog did during the Yondu reveal, he asked if the other og members were coming, and they said not at this time. Why, who knows.

That one's actually fairly easy, imo. There are certain evergreen properties that can be counted on to get waves regularly, regardless of whether there's any sort of tie-in media to support them, and there are properties that only get waves when there's some major media to cash in on like a movie or TV show (or, more recently, a video game). Spider-Man, the Avengers (as a team) and the X-Men all fall under the former. The Guardians of the Galaxy are under the latter with the likes of Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Shang-Chi, the Eternals and so on. Even the Iron Man wave from a few years back was the first time Shellhead had gotten a Legends assortment since 2013, when his last solo film was in theaters. Hulk hasn't had one period since the old Fin Fang Foom wave pre-ROML (though size probably plays a part in that at least).

It's easy to see why we haven't gotten any more classic Guardians when the Guardians only get waves when they have a new movie out, and those waves for obvious reasons tend to skew movie heavy. Classic Star-Lord and Yondu were a nice surprise, but I can fully see why they probably don't have more planned out in the near future. The most logical place for more classic Guardians right now are the Avengers waves, but they're jockeying for position against not just dozens of actual Avengers, but other affiliated teams like the New Warriors and Thunderbolts.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, watanabefan said:

That one's actually fairly easy, imo. There are certain evergreen properties that can be counted on to get waves regularly, regardless of whether there's any sort of tie-in media to support them, and there are properties that only get waves when there's some major media to cash in on like a movie or TV show (or, more recently, a video game). Spider-Man, the Avengers (as a team) and the X-Men all fall under the former. The Guardians of the Galaxy are under the latter with the likes of Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Shang-Chi, the Eternals and so on. Even the Iron Man wave from a few years back was the first time Shellhead had gotten a Legends assortment since 2013, when his last solo film was in theaters. Hulk hasn't had one period since the old Fin Fang Foom wave pre-ROML (though size probably plays a part in that at least).

It's easy to see why we haven't gotten any more classic Guardians when the Guardians only get waves when they have a new movie out, and those waves for obvious reasons tend to skew movie heavy. Classic Star-Lord and Yondu were a nice surprise, but I can fully see why they probably don't have more planned out in the near future. The most logical place for more classic Guardians right now are the Avengers waves, but they're jockeying for position against not just dozens of actual Avengers, but other affiliated teams like the New Warriors and Thunderbolts.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:09 PM, tarot said:

considering the whole wave is MCU, doubtful.

Do we know that?

• 1 month later...

Well it's a relief this two-pack at least will only be priced at the new regular single figure price rate. I will be picking them up. I've wanted to form at least the original four members of the Squadron Sinister to face off against the Avengers for a long time now. And using Speed Demon, who I believe was SS original Whizzer, and the Nighthawk from some years back, I will finally be able to do it.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

"This is a must have for me....Besides that i think these figs look good... Like the doc spectrum more i look at him..."

I too am glad to see Dr. Spectrum (slight preference for the Kinji Obatu version, no boots) on the way; he's one of the few many, many figures I've asked for that is now being actually made. I may not be getting Red Wolf or Equinox anytime soon, but Firebrand could be coming....possibly...

I like it and ordered it, but I still wish it had been Power Princess instead of Hyperion. We could have actually had the main team done that way. I do like the Squadron Sinister look and update on Hyperion nonetheless.