Marvel Legends Classic Wonder Man (Puff Adder BAF Wave) Figure In-Hand Look

JayC

Dan Who? Reviews gives us our first in-hand look at the new Marvel Legends Classic Wonder Man (Puff Adder BAF Wave) figure from Hasbro. You can still pre-order this figure from places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth.

Check out images for this figure below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about it in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Wonder-Man-03.JPG

Wonder-Man-04.JPG

Wonder-Man-05.JPG

Wonder-Man-06.JPG

Wonder-Man-07.JPG

Wonder-Man-08.JPG

Wonder-Man-09.JPG

Wonder-Man-10.JPG

Wonder-Man-11.JPG

Wonder-Man-12.JPG

Wonder-Man-13.JPG

Wonder-Man-14.JPG

Wonder-Man-15.JPG

Wonder-Man-16.JPG

Wonder-Man-17.JPG

Wonder-Man-18.JPG

Wonder-Man-19.JPG

Wonder-Man-20.JPG

Wonder-Man-21.JPG

Wonder-Man-22.JPG

Wonder-Man-23.JPG

Wonder-Man-24.JPG

Wonder-Man-25.JPG

Wonder-Man-26.JPG

Wonder-Man-27.JPG

Not a big fan of this look for Simon, I prefer the look from his older figure, but I'm happy that this figure is being released because so many people have been asking for it, I did order it but solely for the BAF piece, I guess it looks good for what it is although I think his pants should have been tighter.

I do hope this means this Wave is coming out soon, I'm excited for many figures in it.

On 2/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Not a big fan of this look for Simon, I prefer the look from his older figure, but I'm happy that this figure is being released because so many people have been asking for it, I did order it but solely for the BAF piece,

This is exactly how I feel about it. Will likely use the body for a custom.

I'm excited for this wave, but in no hurry. I just got the full X-Men retro wave, the X-Men villains 5-pack, Blob and the re-issued comic Moon Knight all within the last week or so... and I know that the two X-Men 3-packs are going to hit imminently. Plus I have like 15 different DC Multiverse figures ordered that are all supposed to come out during the first 2 weeks of March. I usually like to spread stuff out a little more.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

"...I do hope this means this Wave is coming out soon, I'm excited for many figures in it..."

Excited to hear this was coming, disappointed in its execution and overall blandness. Why they use the Red Skull buck to make Wonder Man, is a mystery to me. This is a robust character, and should be on a mold that reflects that. On a positive note, I like the colors, the molded pockets with that "W" pattern (I've had a number of jackets and coats that had that exact pattern; its not meant to be a "W" symbol but its cool that it worked out here) and really like that they molded his hair correctly. Those twin curls were a styling choice that worked well for Simon.

This is the least anticipated figure in the wave for me. They did actually manage to keep his size reasonably consistent with the previous version, so that's good and I hope it's a detail Hasbro intends to pay more attention to in the future, but I think, as long as the Sunfire mold exists that will never happen. As others have said, this is not one of my favorite looks for WM, but it does look like the source material with which I'm sure they are basing it off, which is the card based version of the Official Marvel Universe Handbook. What's ridiculous, and also typically Hasbro is that they don't actually use the art on the box, but use another image which is much better and would have been better as reference. The face isn't quite as bad as the reveal picks (crossing my fingers this is the case with Monet), but it is still quite goofy. It will quickly be bagged and stored and most likely never reach my display and if I didn't need that arm for Puff Adder I woulda totally passed this up. Another wave where the BAF pushed me to purchase figures I didn't want or need.

I'm still very excited to get this version of Simon. I'm a little disappointed with how he measures up to Beast, though I guess I should say how he DOESNT measure up... I know this version of the Beast isn't how he was represented during his Avengers run but the pics above really demonstrate that even with a proper Perez era head sculpt, this Beast is way to big. Hank was always drawn much smaller in comparison to Simon... ah well, probably a non issue since Hasbro refuses to release the very much Perez styled Gray head in  blue. Did the same BS with Beast in the 3 3/4 line too...

Back to Simon.. I'm pretty confident that Safari Jacket Simon will never be re-done so I can overlook the baggy pants and the other minor details. Plus, he has been drawn with looser pants so to me this is just fine. Also, just like Hercules, the goofy smile works great for this character. Though would have been nice to have a more serious sculpt as well

Anyone else think the lower half would be a great start for a red jump-suited "Scientific Adventurer" version of Hank Pym? Just need a new torso and Pym head and another huge Avengers want checked off!

i do have my gripes with this one but in the end its got enough good things going for it i guess and i always wanted this version of him ..and convinced it’ll never be revisited so it is was it is. do hope there are some other classic Wonder Mans planned for the not-so-distant future.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:49 PM, Atlantis said:

Why they use the Red Skull buck to make Wonder Man, is a mystery to me.

the inspiration behind it was likely  “we already got this and that and this… close enough!”  ha

On 2/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, super-chillin said:

"...the inspiration behind it was likely  “we already got this and that and this… close enough!”  ha"

Right. Half azzery. Tragic, because this is the same line that put out such masterworks like War Machine, Mysterio, Havok, Rogue, Hercules and lets not forget about the upcoming Spiral. Clearly they can do great work, when they choose to. 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:26 AM, leokearon said:

I really like the look of this figure. Still hoping for a new Ionic version though

Yeah a new Ionic Version would be awesome, I'm surprised they have not given us that yet, they just simply need to cast the previous figure in clearish purple, would have been an easy re-paint, but I presume Wonder Man isn't popular enough to warrant a re-paint, it probably would peg warm.

could have been a cool WCA multipack with Mockingbird, Ionic Wonder Man, Hawkeye and Gravitron

On 2/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, leokearon said:

I really like the look of this figure. Still hoping for a new Ionic version though

For the longest time I wanted his original green/red costume, the Ionic look, and the safari jacket outfit ( always felt the WM arms on the Abomination BAF were too small, not jacked enough). I figured they'd all be more or less the same buck, same ht, modified of course to the particular version. I worry now that they'll just slap something together, if they do it at all that is. Still I sure hope these other figures will turn out well and that they'll be out in 2-3 years.

Psst... Hasbrahs. Simon's goofadoof expression does not read as "matinee idol" good looks. Ditto for the anything-but "Pretty" Boy's face in the X-Villains 5-pack. Good grief. They both look like they were beaten with an ugly stick.