Doctor Doom Goes To Unspeakable Lengths To Undo The Fantastic Four's Tragic Mistake In Milestone 700th Issue

JayC

In May, Ryan North and Iban Coello will celebrate 700 awe-inspiring issues of FANTASTIC FOUR with a giant-sized throwdown against the team’s legendary archnemesis: DOCTOR DOOM!

Making his first appearance in North and Coello’s run, Doom will attempt to use his unmatched expertise to fix the fatal misstep that kicked off the Fantastic Four’s new era. Still haunting the team and causing a dramatic rift between Marvel’s first family, readers are only just starting to put the pieces of the mystery together. After it’s fully revealed later this month in FANTASTIC FOUR #4, the team will be reunited at last just in time for Doom to rock their world once more! The iconic villain will embark on an epic journey across space and time to reverse the damage that his most bitter foes have unleashed on the Marvel Universe. Will he be able to succeed where Reed Richards failed? Or will his meddling make matters far, far worse?

The over-sized spectacular will also see the Fantastic Four reach their new base of operations – not knowing that their greatest threat has made it there first! As their knowledge of LANGUAGE ITSELF begins to melt from their minds, the Four are in disarray as their existence hangs in the balance... and the greatest villain of all time finally seals their DOOM.

“I feel privileged to be writing the Fantastic Four at any time, honestly, but getting to have a big milestone issue happen on my watch is certainly lucky - and it's an opportunity I didn't want to waste,” North said. “A big anniversary issue like this demands a similarly big story, something meaningful, impactful, and memorable. And given that it's a supersized issue with more room to play, everything aligned to do a story with the Fantastic Four's most meaningful, impactful, memorable, and supersized villain: Doctor Doom. Doom demands nothing less than the biggest issue of the year being dedicated to him, and I dare not defy Doom. It's a big twisty story that brings the Fantastic Four to their new home and views what's happened to both families over the past year in a new light. The Fantastic Four are down, but not out, and Doom senses an opportunity...”

Since launching last year, North and Coello have kept readers on the edge of their seats with world-class sci-fi storytelling that only the Fantastic Four can deliver! Don’t dare miss a single issue as the true depths of the Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben’s current predicament have only begun to unravel! Check out Alex Ross’ latest breathtaking cover below and pick up FANTASTIC FOUR #7, the colossal 700th issue, when it hits stands on May 17!

FANTASTIC FOUR #7/#700
Written by RYAN NORTH
Art by IBAN COELLO
Cover by ALEX ROSS
On Sale 5/17

FF2022007_Cov.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This May, Marvel Comics will mark the 700th issue of FANTASTIC FOUR with a giant-sized spectacular from the title’s current creative team, writer Ryan North and artist Iban Coello! Also joining the celebration will be amazing artist Scott Koblish with a one-of-a-kind variant cover that perfectly encapsulates the rich history of Marvel’s first family!

A wraparound connecting cover that will adorn both May’s FANTASTIC FOUR #7 and June’s FANTASTIC FOUR #8, this massive piece features over 700 characters, each one having appeared in a prior issue of FANTASTIC FOUR. Featuring the Fantastic Four’s fellow super heroes, past members, loyal allies, and of course, their iconic villains, this epic assembly serves as a monument to the team’s unparalleled legacy and their undeniable impact on the Marvel Universe they helped shape!

“I’ve been a big fan of the Fantastic Four since I was a little kid, so not only was it an honor to draw this cover, but it was a dream come true to scroll through every issue of FANTASTIC FOUR ever,” Koblish said. “I hope I was able to convey all of the sheer joy, wonder, and boundless creativity that the Fantastic Four have embodied for six decades and I hope it continues to be a shining beacon for decades to come.”

Feast your eyes on the first half of Koblish’s connecting cover now and see who you can spot before picking it up at your local comic shop this May! Stay tuned for the reveal of the full piece!

FANTASTIC FOUR #7/#700
Written by RYAN NORTH
Art by IBAN COELLO
Wraparound Connecting 700 Characters Variant Cover by SCOTT KOBLISH - 75960620289800771
On Sale 5/17

FF2021007_Koblish-Variant.jpg

Love posters like this. Reminds me of one I had as a youth of the Avengers done by George Perez. Or the Avengers / JLA cover also by Perez.

also had screen savers of art by John Byrne of the FF, the Avengers, and the XMen which were very similar to this.

impressive he got so many characters on page with out relying on big name staples like Cap, Wolverine, Iron Man.. ( or at least I haven’t found them yet!)

pretty cool how this spans eras... this is definitely wall worthy!

id love to have the room to display my Legends collection like this. The Captains Marvel especially are dynamic. If I ever figure out a way to showcase my collection without stands and bases being too obvious, this is the way I’d do it

On 2/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, Silvermaen said:

Am I tripping, or is Colossus in there twice?  Cyclops too, but at least they're two different looks

Colossus is definitely there twice but it looks like the same suit to me. Maybe an eagle eyed Colossus fan can spot the difference  

On 2/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, Silvermaen said:

Am I tripping, or is Colossus in there twice?  Cyclops too, but at least they're two different looks

I'm wondering, was the Colossus in the back, near Sasquatch and Guido possibly supposed to be Warpath during his X-Force days? The shoulder pads do look to have some kind of fringe cut into them and he did wear forearm bracers for a time. Maybe the colorist just got confused and no one caught it in time. That is assuming no one has been able to locate Warpath in this picture, which I have not.

I like the little details that artist put into pictures like this. Check out the flame headed girl over Mr. Fantastic's left shoulder (Nikki from GOTG?) and the bald guy shocked to see someone's head on fire. George Perez did this alot in his group pictures a d its a fun little touch.

Last week, fans got their first glimpse at artist Scott Koblish’s extraordinary variant cover for the 700th issue of FANTASTIC FOUR, and now it’s time to see it in all its glory!

Hitting stands in May, the 700th issue of FANTASTIC FOUR will be a giant-sized spectacular from the title’s current creative team, writer Ryan North and artist Iban Coello. Koblish will help them celebrate in spectacular style with a one-of-a-kind wraparound connecting cover that will adorn both May’s FANTASTIC FOUR #7 and June’s FANTASTIC FOUR #8. Perfectly encapsulating the rich history of Marvel’s first family, this massive piece features over 700 characters, each one having appeared in a prior issue of FANTASTIC FOUR. From the Fantastic Four’s fellow super heroes like the Avengers and X-Men, past members, iconic villains, and everyone in between, this epic assembly serves as a love letter to the team’s unparalleled legacy and their undeniable impact on the Marvel Universe they helped shape!

“I’ve been a big fan of the Fantastic Four since I was a little kid, so not only was it an honor to draw this cover, but it was a dream come true to scroll through every issue of FANTASTIC FOUR ever,” Koblish said. “I hope I was able to convey all of the sheer joy, wonder, and boundless creativity that the Fantastic Four have embodied for six decades and I hope it continues to be a shining beacon for decades to come.”

See the complete connecting cover below and see who you can spot before picking up the first half at your local comic shop this May!

FANTASTIC FOUR #7/#700
Written by RYAN NORTH
Art by IBAN COELLO
Wraparound Connecting 700 Characters Variant Cover by SCOTT KOBLISH - 75960620289800771
On Sale 5/17

FANTASTIC FOUR #8
Written by RYAN NORTH
Art by IVAN FIORELLI
Wraparound Connecting 700 Characters Variant Cover by SCOTT KOBLISH
On Sale 6/7

FantasticFour7-8_Koblish-Full-Cover.jpg