Marvel Celebrates 60 Years Of Comic Book's Greatest Super Spy In Fury #1

JayC

Over the last six decades, Nick Fury has starred in Marvel’s greatest espionage stories, been at the center of some of its most iconic events, and served as the keeper of the biggest secrets in the Marvel Universe. Now, celebrate his milestone anniversary with a whirlwind saga set across his most iconic eras in FURY #1!

Arriving in May, FURY #1 will be written by superstar Marvel writer Al Ewing and drawn by a dynamic group of leading industry artists—Scott Eaton, Tom Reilly, Adam Kubert, and Ramon Rosanas. This intricate tale will kick off when Fury’s son and successor, Nick Fury Jr., is targeted by a new foe using the name S.C.O.R.P.I.O.! Fans will know that codename has deep roots in Fury’s past and a series of top-secret missions will be revealed, each offering a key to unlocking an overarching mystery. Each artist will tackle a different period of Fury history including his early adventures in Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos and his present-day role as the all-seeing “Man on the Wall." No stranger to radical character transformations, the one-shot will present a key turning point for the character and in the end, both father and son will emerge with fresh purpose!

A glamorous rogue agent with a deadly secret lures Nick Fury into the action-thriller of a lifetime...HIS FATHER’S! Following the trail opens NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN FURY FILES from the Howlin’ ’40s...the Swingin’ ’60s...and today! But it takes more than ONE Nick Fury to unlock a mystery decades in the making – and to answer the question...WHO IS S.C.O.R.P.I.O.?

"Nick Fury is an entire history of comics in one character,” Ewing said. “Shifting from a tough-talking WWII Sergeant specializing in impossible missions, to an U.N.C.L.E.-esque secret agent beating James Bond at his own game, to a machiavellian man in the shadows making the grey moral choices we've come to associate with the evolving espionage genre. And when the original Fury went cosmic, his son followed in those same footsteps, doing all that with a modern spin and an eye on the silver screen portrayal of our favorite sci-fi spy-guy. So how to celebrate sixty years of Nick Fury? With 40 story pages of twists, turns, action, gadgets and old-school thrills - pitting the Fury family against a new menace with a mysterious connection to the earliest days of the Howling Commandos and setting both Nicks up for the adventures of a lifetime! Don't yield, true believer - back S.H.I.E.L.D.!"

Check out Adam Kubert’s cover below and don’t miss this key chapter in Nick Fury’s legacy when FURY #1 hits stands in May.

FURY #1
Written by AL EWING
Art by SCOT EATON, TOM REILLY, ADAM KUBERT & RAMON ROSANAS
COVER BY ADAM KUBERT
On Sale 5/24

FURY2023001_Cov.jpg

I don't know how you can truly celebrate 60 Years Of Comic Book's Greatest Super Spy with a story focused on Nick Fury Jr?!?

Not for anything, but they need to bring back OG Nick Fury.  Junior hasn't been interesting at all since his inception which is a shame since Ultimate Nick Fury (AKA Samuel Jackson) was great in the Ultimates run by Mark Millar...

On 2/9/2023 at 4:17 AM, DrewK said:

I don't know how you can truly celebrate 60 Years Of Comic Book's Greatest Super Spy with a story focused on Nick Fury Jr?!?

Not for anything, but they need to bring back OG Nick Fury.  Junior hasn't been interesting at all since his inception which is a shame since Ultimate Nick Fury (AKA Samuel Jackson) was great in the Ultimates run by Mark Millar...

Well these anniversary series have so far focused on original and hier successors so this will be no difference, even the tagline says more than one Nick Fury. Still I agree Nick Jr. is a poor character

Nick Fury Jr... smh... 

The way he was introduced to the comics was insultingly obvious and had a surprise factor of - 20 on the scale of whack-a-doo ideas. I say this being a fan of 60's and 70's Marvel as well. 

Marvel could have done something with the idea and could have at least made him interesting but instead chose to sit on the concept. As far as the whole forced MCU synergy thing goes this was a stretch. 

For those of us that checked out on comics, is the OG Fury still a presence? Last I recall he was a major player in Secret Invasion. I recall him speaking to Quake and he used a image thingy to make himself look like Sam Jackson. Was actually kinda cute. ( he may have been talking to  Maria Hill, Bending had a thing for ladies with shirt hair cuts)

On 2/9/2023 at 6:09 PM, McHogan said:

Nick Fury Jr... smh... 

The way he was introduced to the comics was insultingly obvious and had a surprise factor of - 20 on the scale of whack-a-doo ideas. I say this being a fan of 60's and 70's Marvel as well. 

Marvel could have done something with the idea and could have at least made him interesting but instead chose to sit on the concept. As far as the whole forced MCU synergy thing goes this was a stretch. 

For those of us that checked out on comics, is the OG Fury still a presence? Last I recall he was a major player in Secret Invasion. I recall him speaking to Quake and he used a image thingy to make himself look like Sam Jackson. Was actually kinda cute. ( he may have been talking to  Maria Hill, Bending had a thing for ladies with shirt hair cuts)

In Original Sin, it became a story-point that Nick Fury has been Earth's "Man on the Wall"--it's true lone defender for decades now. He was using all available earthly and alien tech and means to "pre-empt' ANY threat to the planet.  So he'd hunt down and wax aliens and monsters from those earlier monster mag stories.  This mostly in the years between WW2 and nowadays.
Aaaaand in doing so......Nick Fury essentially became the new "Watcher".    

Yeah, it gives me a bit of a headache too.....  😞

On 2/10/2023 at 12:09 AM, McHogan said:

Nick Fury Jr... smh... 

NIck is back, Dan Slott reverted undid the whole Unseen thing and brought The Watcher back, though Nick now has to work for the Watcher

On 2/10/2023 at 3:25 AM, leokearon said:

NIck is back, Dan Slott reverted undid the whole Unseen thing and brought The Watcher back, though Nick now has to work for the Watcher

Thank you and @TheArrowfor the update in Fury's status.

Though this does raise more questions. Does the Watcher get around his no interference rule by using Fury to do his dirty work? 

Marvel writers these days....

On 2/10/2023 at 6:28 PM, McHogan said:

Thank you and @TheArrowfor the update in Fury's status.

Though this does raise more questions. Does the Watcher get around his no interference rule by using Fury to do his dirty work? 

Marvel writers these days....

Probably though nothing has happened yet,