Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3. Marvel Legends Wave - What Can We Expect?

JayC

Last night during the Super Bowl we got the newest trailer for the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 movie (See below) which opens in theaters on May 5th.

And with that I think it's time to start talking Marvel Legends and what we can expect from Hasbro for movie based figures. From distributor lists first leaked out to the public last year by the Youtuber Rektangular, the wave is slated to include the following figures:

-Starlord
-Drax
-Nebula
-Rocket
-Mantis
-Adam Warlock
-Kraglin

No word on the Build-A-Figure for this wave but some have speculated it might be based on the High Evolutionary.

There also should be a Deluxe Groot figure coming and while we have not seen any listings for it, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with some kind of store exclusive Gamora. None of this of course has yet to be confirmed by Hasbro, but now that we have the newest trailer that might soon change.

We are expecting some kind of Marvel Legends news to be made by Hasbro this week and according to the Entertainment Earth Pre-Order drop-page, it looks like their will be some kind of Marvel Legends pre-order on February 22. Whether any of that has to do with GOTG is unknown at this time.

Hasbro last week finally revealed the movie wave for Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania which you can pre-order from our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth. While that movie opens this weekend, the Ant-Man figures aren't due out until July. Hasbro has stated that the reason those figures will be released well after the movie is because at one time Quantumania was going to be released on July 28, 2023 and then was changed to February. Because of the fairly recent date change of the movie, Hasbro couldn't get the figures out that soon and was barley even able to have them ready for pre-order before the movie came out.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has had the May 5th release date for awhile now so I would expect the figures to be released before the movie comes out.

Marvel-Legends-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-Vol-3.jpg

Yep, Rektangular said full MCU wave of Starlord, Nebula, Mantis, Drax, Adam Warlock, Rocket and Kraglin with unknown BAF. In addition there's expected to be a deluxe winged Groot with baby Rocket.

My expectation right now is that (like Tarot) I'll only be getting Kraglin (new character) and Mantis (to replace the BAF). I'd likely consider Nebula if she's a marked improvement over the prior version, but I'd really prefer a classic comic version of her. I am also hoping that they can find ways to get us Ayesha, Starhawk, Martinex, Cosmo and Lylla who are all also supposed to be in this movie as well... and we know that High Evolutionary will be offered somewhere (probably as the BAF). I'll still be sticking with the F4 retro comic version of him though since I bought like 4 of him while he was under $10 and I just plain prefer comic figures.

It would make sense to me that this week's reveal is about the Guardians wave. In any case, I'll get most of these figures, cause I don't have any of the guardians besides Star Lord. Given that they're probably coming in their new matching - more comic accurate - suits, it's a good thing I'll fill that hole now though. And if High Evolutionary is the BAF, then I'll probably get the whole thing. 

I'm going to speculate that these figures are coming in the Blue Matching (more classic) outfits, as it seems that's their look for this movie, I want to say High Evolutionary is the BAF (but we could be wrong), and a Gamora exclusive to come out somewhere down the line, but at this point I'm not really interested since it's all movie figures, maybe Mantis because she can be a fill in for a comic version, if there is a Cosmo pack in some place I'd likely want that, because it's pretty easy to be a comic fill in, but other then that this wave is already on paper looking like an easy money saver for me, going to be passing on it, which I'm fine with.

The only ones that make sense are the blue team uniforms. Especially after Quill and Groot just had updates from the recent Thor wave.

Glad to see new characters in the wave but I stand by my stance that Will Poulter has Hollywood's most punchable face. Can't see his appearance Vol 3 changing my views on him 

I preface saying I'd want the team uniforms as long as they complete the team! Still missing some key Time Heist looks from Endgame. (Also dreading that Hasbro redoes the time Heist teams in accurate colors, now that would be an expensive re-buy)!!

Shown below via Gamespot is the new Marvel Legends Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 Deluxe Groot with Baby Rocket from Hasbro. The price is $39.

Grown into a more mature tree, Groot uses his new body changes and more advanced skills to help build Knowhere and protect his family. Celebrate the Marvel universe with this deluxe Marvel Legends Series Groot figure. This quality 6-inch scale Groot figure features deco and design inspired by the character's appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3!

Look for this to go up for pre-order tomorrow (2/22) at 1pm ET at places like our sponsors Entertainment Earth and BigBadToyStore.com.

Deluxe-Groot-04.jpg

Deluxe-Groot-03.jpg

Deluxe-Groot-01.jpg

Deluxe-Groot-00.jpg

Deluxe-Groot-02.jpg

Shown below via Gamerant is a look at Hasbro's new wave of Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 figures which includes Star-Lord, Drax, Nebula, Mantis, Rocket, Kraglin, Cosmo and Adam Warlock. The Build-A-Figure is Cosmo The Space Dog. The figures will cost $24.99 each.

Look for these to go up for pre-order tomorrow (2/22) at 1pm ET at places like our sponsors Entertainment Earth and BigBadToyStore.com.

GOTG-Vol-3-00.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-01.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-03.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-04.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-05.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-06.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-07.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-08.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-09.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-10.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-11.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-12.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-13.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-14.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-15.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-16.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-17.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-18.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-19.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-20.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-21.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-22.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-23.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-24.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-25.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-26.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-27.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-28.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-29.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-30.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-31.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-32.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-33.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-34.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-35.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-36.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-37.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-38.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-39.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-40.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-41.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-42.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-43.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-44.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-45.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-46.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-47.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-48.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-49.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-50.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-51.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-52.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-53.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-54.jpg

GOTG-Vol-3-55.jpg

Fair, well I wouldn't say warning, more advice. We know people are going to rant about the Cosmo BAF but please try to keep it civil. We all agree that she should have been packed-in with something else but try to keep it PG for the time being. If someone want to buy the whole wave for her (like myself, being wanting a good girl for years), just let them enjoy it.

Star Lord finally has a movie accurate headsculpt and one that looks great too. Drax looks very good and so does Nebula, Rocket and Mantis. Kraglin is better than what I thought and Warlock looks decent, although the gold should have been toned down (or matte at least) and not one shade for the entire figure. His hair should be darker, too. Overall it;s a solid wave with the only bad thing being the lack of accessories for most of the figures. Yeah, Cosmo could have easily been packed with someone else, as another figure would've served better as the BAF (High Evolutionary), but it's not that big of a deal for me. Sure this would've been the perfect wave for me to build the BAF, as I don't have any of these characters, besides Vol.2 Star Lord, but I don't really want Cosmo. Anyway...

Groot looks great, but baby Rocket far worse than I thought it would. Cosmo would've made for a better companion in this two pack. 

Yep, that's a big kick in the nuts. I only want Cosmo, Kraglin and Mantis. I'll still buy Kraglin and Mantis but not sure what I'm going to do about Cosmo yet. I'm a character completionist so I will still end up with Cosmo regardless, but I'm going to have to think about whether it's more cost effective to just buy the other figures and sell them loose, purchase just the BAF outright by itself or the other parts I need individually from ebay.

I find myself considering if I could use any of the Drax, Nebula, Rocket or Warlock figures as anything useful for customs. Who else wore costumes similar to these Guardian blues in the comics? I find myself pondering if I could use the body from this Nebula with the Wolfsbane head from the New Mutants figure to make Deathcry (of course the Mantis body would work better, but that doesn't help me in regards to buying these figures that I don't really want just to get the BAF part). Or take the Drax figure and make it into a  way too buff Bug? There's probably nothing that I could do with Rocket. I might use the head and hands of Adam Warlock to make the X-Men's Elixir.

Like others have stated, I have a hard time understanding why they didn't just make that deluxe Groot the BAF with Rocket and Cosmo in one package. I know that I would have strongly preferred that as it would have saved me at least $75.

I'm absolutely shocked that High Evolutionary didn't end up being the BAF. We have to expect that he and Gamora will get store exclusive figures somewhere then, right?!? Not that I personally want either of them (as I have comic versions that I already prefer), but they're pretty important characters to the movie.

I picked up one of those all metallic gold McFarlane DC Multiverse Wonder Woman exclusive figures from Walmart on clearance to be my Ayesha/Her/Kismet for now since it doesn't sound like she's going to get a figure despite appearing in two of the movies now.

DC Multiverse Anti-Crisis Wonder Woman Action Figure Gold Label 7"6013911-ayesha.jpg

Cosmo as the BAF is bizarre. It would have made more sense to make him and Rocket a two pack especially since Rocket comes with most the dog anyways, make Groot the BAF. Fans save money and therefore are happy.

Still none of these figures excite me. 

Out of nowhere reveal, didn't expect that, Anyways figures look good, In fact these might have the best face likenesses of any GOTG figures yet, I think it's evident Cosmo was a "different" choice for a BAF and it's going to make people pretty upset, Early 20's Groot looks fine, still weirded out by the baby face on the buff body, Adam Warlock would have benefited from a soild painted gold face and not the plastic with marbling, Looks like a good wave, but I will be passing, would have got Cosmo if she wasn't a BAF because it's a good stand in for comic. I am sure this means down the road High Evolutionary and Gamora are coming some how since they were omitted here.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:17 AM, leokearon said:

"Still none of these figures excite me...."

Not surprising; this team has more than had its day in the sun. A number of waves and what, two, three box sets now? Meanwhile hasbo just cannot find the will to get the Inhumans done, or even finish off teams that may need only a few figures more. 

Still, I can't see them doing this Last Hurrah without doing the Guardians as what we're seeing here- this is what the studio gave them to work with. I can't blame them there. Of course wedging in fan favorite Cosmo the way they did, was a dirty trick on one hand, but a clever move on the other, because they knew how weak this wave would be. And, hasbo could count on the ever-reliable fan FOMO to buy it, no matter their lack of enthusiasm. 

Groot is looking SWOL! Looks like he discovered The Power of Grayskull.

Overall, it's a nice wave, but at current pricing, the complete lack of interchangeable parts is annoying. At least some extra hands for weaponless Mantis and Warlock, and the obligatory helmeted head for Star Lord would be appreciated. Unlike others, I'm cool with Cosmo as the BAF (but I'm biased, since I plan on buying this whole wave anyway). She's about equivalent to a regular-sized figure, and is all-new, with little possibility of parts reuse (Unless they plan on making a comic-based Cosmo, maybe they could reuse it with a new head). I'll probably just preorder one or two figures, but I'll definitely buy the whole wave eventually.