Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3. Marvel Legends Wave - What Can We Expect?

JayC

Not sure how I feel about this groot, I want it to be cooler then it is, but that baby face on the buff body is bugging me, and the fact that I can't be crazy and I'm seeing the Upper Torso is asymmetrical, why? the wings are fun, but I just don't like this look for Groot, this should have been the BAF though, but I guess the wings are also "BAF" material enough for Hasbro that they had to do it as a deluxe. 

On 2/21/2023 at 12:48 PM, tarot said:

Anyone else kind of want them to them to repaint that groot and put a new head on them to look like this comic version?

image.png

The colors likely won't match, I'm sure they wouldn't but you could just slap the Comic Groot head on this new Flying Baby Buffness Groot and get that, and with some painting skills make it work even more.

Yowch.  I don't like to talk too much smack about Legends, it's by far my favorite line to collect, but this is kind of painful.  Easy pass on the Groot, I don't think it's a good look for the character to begin with, I don't feel the need to immortalize it in my collection. The rest of the characters look good, but I already have multiple versions of most of them as it is, so I guess it'll just be Kraglin and maybe AW, which would be the first time I didn't but a full Legends wave in years.  But Cosmo as a build-a-mini-figure is just insulting, and I don't want to contribute to rewarding a regressive practice that hearkens back to the days of Rocket and Hit-Monkey.  It's bad enough when the build is a standard size character to begin with. 

Maybe this will meet the same shelf fate as the Eternals wave, and the whole lot will need to be clearanced out as retailers struggle to get rid of them.  Probably not, but if so I'll pick up the rest. 

Honestly, I'm just really disappointed in them, and I don't mean the figures. 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:28 PM, watanabefan said:

No High Evolutionary as the BAF is puzzling, unless they intend release him as a solo. But between him, Scarlet Witch, MODOK, and Namora that makes another missing villain.

* Not counting the No Way Home villains since we know most of them are coming later this year.

I'd like to think he's coming single packed (Gamora too) and not that they ignored the main villain here. Honestly, though, besides the lack of a Scarlet Witch figure, all of the other movies have had their main villains done (Kang, Namor). 

Warlock is horrible. I've a feeling I'm going to not appreciate him as much as I'm not a fan of Poulter. This terrible design seals it. Here's hoping this is his one and only MCU appearance. 

Love the matching suits. Hasbro had an instant sale from me by giving us these versions. I'm a sucker for matching suits..  always have been. Even though I don't collect XMen outside of what I consider the 90s team (Jim Lee/ cartoon era) if Hasbro ever did the New Mutants in their training suits I'd probably be all in. 

I'm fine with Cosmo as the BAF. A BAF of any size works for me as, especially in this case, it gets us another major character much like Mantis did in the previous wave. As far as value perception, meh... it's still a bonus character for free, why do I care what size the character is?

Teen Groot I'm on the fence with. I'm sure I'll track him down but the overall aesthetics of this version just feel off... he looks weird I guess..

Wonder if Gamora will end up a store Exclusive? Can't imagine she doesn't get an updated Legend.

Kraglin looks better than I hoped. As a matter fact all the figures face printing looks fantastic. Hasbro has come a long way with this. They really need to revisit older figures like Agents Coulson and Hill to redo those old sculpts.

Overall a pretty great MCU wave. Though I'm hoping this is the last film for the Guardians and they go out with a bang . we definitely don't need an another Thor: Love & THUNDER situation here

It's an okay wave as a whole, obviously pass for me since there are no comic book characters, although if Cosmo wasn't BAF I would get the figure for comic book display and I already can see fan discontent with another small BAF wave. While not Hasbro's fault, but Adam Warlock's costume is one of the most boring costume designs, making Adam's comic book costumes seem like a stroke of genius design work.  

On 2/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, Inspection12e said:

Interested in Cosmo but not enough to buy all the figures or pay over 35 for on Ebay.  Overall pretty underwhelming wave. 

I'm thinking this is destined for the clearance bin....also, Cosmo will likely be available again sometime down the road. Could be wrong, but it's about the only thing keeping the wave together.

God what a good wave. Love that they're knocking out the whole team in one swoop and those suits are beautiful. Best of all I don't have to worry about unloading any comic figures like with the Ant-Man wave. I feel like those half and half waves just hurt both sides of the collecting community. I'm gonna guess Cosmo will have a big role in the movie given she(?) is the BAF. 

But I'm starting to notice a disturbing trend in MCU waves of late, where they're missing crucial characters. No Scarlet Witch, Illuminati or alternate Stranges for MOM, no Zeus for LAT, no MODOK or normal size Cassie for Quantumania, now no High Evolutionary or Gamora for Vol 3? Hasbro is gonna have a ton of holes to fill when we get the Multiverse Saga anniversary wave in 2032 lol. I can excuse the NWH stuff because that stuff was shrouded in secrecy for a while, but we were aware of the other movies' stuff way before movie hit and other companies had those characters ready to go.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, McHogan said:

I'm fine with Cosmo as the BAF. A BAF of any size works for me as, especially in this case, it gets us another major character much like Mantis did in the previous wave. As far as value perception, meh... it's still a bonus character for free, why do I care what size the character is?

Exactly, I hate the complaining when a BAF is small. It's a free figure, who cares what size it is as long as it's a worthwhile character. Cosmo, Mantis, Okoye, etc are so much more worth it to me than someone like Titus or Xemnu.

I get the gripes but that seems to be because most of us are content with the GotG figures we already have and thus new versions of Peter, Nebula, Drax and Rocket seem skippable. But it seems silly to expect that Hasbro wouldn't make figures for them for this movie, especially when they are all in matching uniforms. 

For people suggesting cosmo should've been released as a wave figure, i dunno i think its hard to argue against most of the characters inclusion except maybe kraglin who might've worked as a store exclusive.  still, due to his many scene-stealing appearances i think he was a safer bet in the wave than cosmo. yeah cosmo is likely to be a breakout character who is popular but its hard to say for sure in advance.  i'll say the female voice threw me off in the holiday special, wasn't what i was expecting. but still looking forward to more cosmo in GotG3 

Groot could've been the BAF but he's the obvious choice for a deluxe figure and it seems like they like to do those for most mcu movies these days.

at the end of the day i too am unsure i really need another set of the main crew but i can understand why hasbro went that route. i'm sure Gamora is coming (probably an exclusive) and likely High evolutionary as well.  so really hasbro has covered all the major characters from the movie, which is something we as fans should generally be in favor of. 

On 2/21/2023 at 3:00 PM, bashpics99 said:

I get the gripes but that seems to be because most of us are content with the GotG figures we already have and thus new versions of Peter, Nebula, Drax and Rocket seem skippable. But it seems silly to expect that Hasbro wouldn't make figures for them for this movie, especially when they are all in matching uniforms. 

I saw similar sentiment about the Ant-Man wave and was just as baffled then.

I have to say, I still feel a bit uncomfortable with buff Groot, but he looks pretty good. Not sold on the wings either on the figure or in the trailer so unless it's a super powerful scene in the movie, he'll likely be displayed without them.

Baby Rocket is obviously adorable, but his inclusion is a bit intriguing. Did they just want to throw a baby Rocket in somewhere or is this some sort of spoiler where Rocket reverts back to his baby form during the movie for some reason? Cause this is Groot 2.0 right, so he wouldn't have interacted with baby Rocket.

Oof! This wave looks bland. Who at Hasbro thought it would be a good idea to make Cosmo the Space Dog the BAF of the wave? It is like they do not want collectors to build a figure. High Evolutionary should have been the BAF. Like how Attuma was the BAF of the Wakanda Forever wave—average size, but justified. At least Hasbro made Groot a deluxe rather than force collectors to build him.

Yeah, another Hasbro cheap out. High Evo or Groot should have been the BAF. Does Cosmo even play a part in the movie? This strikes me as another Rintrah/Attuma type gig. Enough screen time to know who they are, but basically not anyone we give a damn about. Seriously making it too easy for me to pass. I'll get Adam, but I just know they are gonna give him the Trevor treatment and he's basically gonna just be a buff clown, but he looks pretty cool. The rest I will wait for the inevitable markdown notification as I'm browsing Amazon.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:06 PM, watanabefan said:

I saw similar sentiment about the Ant-Man wave and was just as baffled then.

well, at least with the ant-man i can think of 2 legit gripes, namely the usual comic & mcu mix upsetting people who only collect one or the other, as well as the fact that neither Jan nor Scott comes with shrunken form accessory, which is always upsetting for characters with shrinking powers.

but yeah otherwise the same, i think anyone who wanted scott or jan is relatively happy with the previous versions, but nevertheless its pretty weird to expect hasbro to skip them over for the new movie.

The wave itself, it's very expected, safe even.  The BAF, disappointing, but more so because I'd have loved to finally get a Cosmo that could be fudged in to my comic cosmic collection.  Oh well, hopefully catch more than a few of these on sale and get Cosmo eventually.  

On 2/21/2023 at 4:22 PM, Ironspider428 said:

I have to say, I still feel a bit uncomfortable with buff Groot, but he looks pretty good. Not sold on the wings either on the figure or in the trailer so unless it's a super powerful scene in the movie, he'll likely be displayed without them.

Baby Rocket is obviously adorable, but his inclusion is a bit intriguing. Did they just want to throw a baby Rocket in somewhere or is this some sort of spoiler where Rocket reverts back to his baby form during the movie for some reason? Cause this is Groot 2.0 right, so he wouldn't have interacted with baby Rocket.

I've nothing to base this on but maybe this isn't Rocket at all, just another poor creature that is saved from the same fate that Rocket went through. And Groot is now caring for it probably due to some unfortunate circumstance that happens to Rocket in this 3rd flick.

Seems it was hinted that not all the Guardians make it out... ah doom and gloom predictions... remember when fans predicted a blood bath in Endgame? Final tally of fallen heroes was like 2?!?!? Guess we wait and see

Maybe someone else has pointed this out but does anyone else find it strange that Starlord and Kraglin are the only figs with pin holes? I don't remember that buck they're using for Starlord from anywhere else and even though Kraglin's uniform resembles Yondu's I'm pretty sure it's mostly new.

On 2/21/2023 at 3:52 PM, Ironspider428 said:

God what a good wave. Love that they're knocking out the whole team in one swoop and those suits are beautiful. Best of all I don't have to worry about unloading any comic figures like with the Ant-Man wave. I feel like those half and half waves just hurt both sides of the collecting community. I'm gonna guess Cosmo will have a big role in the movie given she(?) is the BAF. 

But I'm starting to notice a disturbing trend in MCU waves of late, where they're missing crucial characters. No Scarlet Witch, Illuminati or alternate Stranges for MOM, no Zeus for LAT, no MODOK or normal size Cassie for Quantumania, now no High Evolutionary or Gamora for Vol 3? Hasbro is gonna have a ton of holes to fill when we get the Multiverse Saga anniversary wave in 2032 lol. I can excuse the NWH stuff because that stuff was shrouded in secrecy for a while, but we were aware of the other movies' stuff way before movie hit and other companies had those characters ready to go.

Same here. The whole team at once is a very good move. I feared we'd get some major omissions but so far it looks like it's set up that anyone who isn't announced yet will hopefully get a store Exclusive or 2 pack release down the road.

Even though I loathed the Eternals movie (still do), as an MCU completist, I was thrilled to get all the key players out of the way in one wave and a few Store exclusives. And all for about half price for the entire lot. Gift cards, coupons and sales made it all tolerable. 

I have wondered to myself if we won't see the missing characters you pointed put in a future SAGA wave as you said. Seems the best way to catch up. I really hope Hasbro continues the saga sets, for me these are amazing and for the most part, especially the last wave were all amazing.

I flip flop on mixed waves. I'd rather have had Hank and Jan in the wave but on the other hand we are getting Egghead and Crossfire. I collect both MCU and Comic so for me it is normally win/win. But it does make waiting on MCU characters who got bumped for a comic one a bit frustrating at times. Still can't believe how long it took them to get us Quicksilver!

On 2/21/2023 at 4:19 PM, McHogan said:

I've nothing to base this on but maybe this isn't Rocket at all, just another poor creature that is saved from the same fate that Rocket went through. And Groot is now caring for it probably due to some unfortunate circumstance that happens to Rocket in this 3rd flick.

Seems it was hinted that not all the Guardians make it out... ah doom and gloom predictions... remember when fans predicted a blood bath in Endgame? Final tally of fallen heroes was like 2?!?!? Guess we wait and see

That may not be a bad guess at all actually, it would be a really tragic parallel to Vol 1 when Rocket ends up taking care of baby Groot, now we'll have the roles reversed. Definitely a possibility.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, monron999 said:

Maybe someone else has pointed this out but does anyone else find it strange that Starlord and Kraglin are the only figs with pin holes? I don't remember that buck they're using for Starlord from anywhere else and even though Kraglin's uniform resembles Yondu's I'm pretty sure it's mostly new.

Drax is also only part pinless, his legs are from his past 2 figures. Same with Star Lord, his legs are from his previous figures, the arms are harder to place but I think they're from one of his two Vol 2 figures. Kraglin seems to be using the arms from Vol 1 Star Lord and the legs from Yondu.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, McHogan said:

I flip flop on mixed waves. I'd rather have had Hank and Jan in the wave but on the other hand we are getting Egghead and Crossfire. I collect both MCU and Comic so for me it is normally win/win. But it does make waiting on MCU characters who got bumped for a comic one a bit frustrating at times. Still can't believe how long it took them to get us Quicksilver!

I'm not sure what their standard is for doing part comic waves nowadays, you have waves like LAT and Vol 3 that are all movie, but then Quantumania and MOM are partly comic too. MOM certainly had enough characters to give us a full wave without needing to do Sleepwalker and D'Spayre, take those 2 out and give us Scarlet Witch and maybe Sinister Strange, both fairly easy repaints to do. Quantumania is a bit trickier, there aren't a lot of characters they could have made from the movie to constitute a whole wave, so I kind of get that one. I'm mostly happy with their offerings there, I just want MODOK, small Cassie and Giant Man. 

But I get where you're coming from with being happy about some of the comic stuff in the waves. The only comic stuff I really collect is Spider-Man, so it's nice to see characters like Shriek and Morlun appearing in the wave alongside the movie figures. I think I'd still prefer completely MCU or comic waves though, the NWH home wave was a unique case because of the secrecy, but undoubtedly we would have gotten a full wave of movie characters there if they had had the designs. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, Ironspider428 said:

But I get where you're coming from with being happy about some of the comic stuff in the waves. The only comic stuff I really collect is Spider-Man, so it's nice to see characters like Shriek and Morlun appearing in the wave alongside the movie figures. I think I'd still prefer completely MCU or comic waves though, the NWH home wave was a unique case because of the secrecy, but undoubtedly we would have gotten a full wave of movie characters there if they had had the designs. 

I wondered how Morlun and Shriek went over for Spidey fans. I'm not very familiar with either but I'd guess it'd be like Avengers fans getting Jocasta, Rage, or Hellcat... Longshots that go a long way towards filling out our collections. 

I grabbed a Morlun and was going to try to kitbash a Jarvis. But the neck is to"vampire-y" and I never came across a head that would work. 

I can see both sides of the argument on mixed waves. I love the upcoming Avengers wave (though Orb still bugs me as both a wasted spot and a terrible character haha) but as mentioned getting updated Scott and Hope figures in the same wave as classic Avengers villains is pretty cool. While I didn't need a D'Spayre or Sleepwalker those were some awesome figures. In MOM'S case I'd rather have gotten a Reed Richards or Captain Marvel/ Captain Carter but I wasn't too bummed as the comic offerings were so good.

But this is probably the root on why I flip flop on mixed waves: trying to fill both MCU and Comic lineups while in some instances getting those gem characters. Pretty good "problem" to have I guess