Jump to content

Another Comic Book Based Guardians Of The Galaxy Member Coming To The Marvel Legends Line In 2023 - Who Will It Be?


JayC

Recommended Posts

Hasbro's Dan Yun today confirmed that we will be getting another comic book based Guardians of the Galaxy member sometime in 2023. Yesterday going up for pre-order at Target was Guardians team member Yondu, and this year we also saw the classic Star-Lord go up for pre-order at Walmart.

Back in 2017 we got the older version of Vance Astro who was also a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. This figure was part of the Titus Build-A-Figure wave.

So who will be the next Guardians member to get the Marvel Legends treatment? We haven't seen any team members in the leak listings for 2023, so whoever it is will likely be another store exclusive release. When I think of the original Guardians of the Galaxy members from the comics I think of Yondu, Vance Astro along with Charlie 27, Starhawk (Stakar), Martinex, Aleta and Nikki. Since Dan Yun didn't specifically say the next figure would be one of the original team members, there is no telling if any of those guys will be the next figure Hasbro does. For those of us who would like to complete that original team sometime soon, we can always hope.

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-01.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-02.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-03.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-04.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-05.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-06.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-07.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-08.jpg

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-09.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For this one I'm at a total loss. Are they going with the current version of GOTG or are the going with the classic Valentino version? Virtually all the remaining members, save for a few, can be done using existing body molds. If they are going with the more current roster I would have to say Gamora in maybe her battle gear or more modern look. If they go with the classic version I would have to go with Starhawk or Martinex. The latter would be the easier option as Starhawk can be done on the Reaper buck, but in Hasbro's infinite wisdom and attention to detail, will probably be done on the Sunfire buck, and Martinex can easily be done on the Iceman buck from the Juggernaut wave. That one was a fair looking mold, but the original Iceman was done on some weird plastic. Not quite sure why they never tried to redo that version of him using more sturdy plastic.

For all we know now if could be a Charlie-27 Deluxe figure on the Thanos buck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We already know who it is. It's Noh-Varr. He was included in the leaks for The Marvels movie wave as a comic based figure (along with Commander Rogers and the Sentient Iron Man Armor). I'm not saying that there won't be somebody else also, but Noh-Varr has been part of the team within the last few years and we're confident he's coming based upon Rektangular's info. Hopefully it's a significant upgrade over that Protector figure that we got of him from Hasbro all those years ago. I still have that figure in my Avengers display, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, Reno said:

We already know who it is. It's Noh-Varr.

Yeah they leaked Noh-Varr was coming, so I bet this is the figure, but if it's not who knows because they don't actually mention what GOTG Team variation the figure will be from, but if it's following what we already are getting this year, I'd say Starhawk seems like a good candidate. Also Adam Warlock is another good bet since he's making his MCU debut, but who knows at this point. If it was up to me I'd want Aleta or Phyla-Vel

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 10:16 AM, monron999 said:

For this one I'm at a total loss. Are they going with the current version of GOTG or are the going with the classic Valentino version? Virtually all the remaining members, save for a few, can be done using existing body molds. If they are going with the more current roster I would have to say Gamora in maybe her battle gear or more modern look. If they go with the classic version I would have to go with Starhawk or Martinex. The latter would be the easier option as Starhawk can be done on the Reaper buck, but in Hasbro's infinite wisdom and attention to detail, will probably be done on the Sunfire buck, and Martinex can easily be done on the Iceman buck from the Juggernaut wave. That one was a fair looking mold, but the original Iceman was done on some weird plastic. Not quite sure why they never tried to redo that version of him using more sturdy plastic.

For all we know now if could be a Charlie-27 Deluxe figure on the Thanos buck.

Charlie would go great on the Thanos/Controller body, i imagine. but why Martinex on that Jug Iceman body? classic version wasnt scronny like that, not to mention he didn’t have shards sticking out on his arms and legs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think he's referring to Noh-Varr or one of the classic Guardians*. The way the tweet is worded of "another comic version of a Guardians character" makes me think it's someone who has actually been featured in the movies. "Version" is the keyword for me, implying it's someone who has another non-comic incarnation, plus the context of showing the recent figures of Star-Lord and Yondu, two characters who were very prominently featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy films.

So my guess is it's following the pattern set out before and it'll be a comic version of either Mantis, Adam Warlock, Drax or Gamora.

(* I know Starhawk, Charlie 27 and Martinex had a cameo appearance in the second movie but I suspect it'll be someone more prominent.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, watanabefan said:

So my guess is it's following the pattern set out before and it'll be a comic version of either Mantis, Adam Warlock, Drax or Gamora.

(* I know Starhawk, Charlie 27 and Martinex had a cameo appearance in the second movie but I suspect it'll be someone more prominent.)

If that's the case then Mantis is the only one of that group who hasn't already had a comic version done - although I know that a lot of people want a classic Drax also. If they do end up doing a comic Mantis then I hope it gets announced before the movie wave comes out. I have the BAF, but don't really like it. A classic comic Nebula would be fantastic also. I keep plan on making a custom using parts from the What If Heist Nebula and Shriek but haven't gotten around to it. I'd be delighted if it was even Cosmo!

It's also worth pointing out that Sylvester Stallone as Starhawk and Michael Rosenbaum as Martinex are expected to have larger roles in this third movie than they did in the second, but I think that it's supposed to be just those two this time and not the rest of the team from that one scene in the last one. Maybe we could get a store exclusive 2-pack of those two.... I'd prefer comic, but MCU would be better than nothing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, super-chillin said:

Charlie would go great on the Thanos/Controller body, i imagine. but why Martinex on that Jug Iceman body? classic version wasnt scronny like that, not to mention he didn’t have shards sticking out on his arms and legs. 

I don't think the Juggy Wave Iceman had shards coming out of his arms. I think you're thinking of the AoA Iceman from the Colossus Wave. And I'm not saying it would be ideal. I'm just making predictions from Hasbro's history of practice. I'd love for them to actually do another sculpt for Martinex and then use that mold for an updated Iceman, but from a company that consistently uses the Sunfire mold for characters 6'4" and over, such as Yondu, I don't think them using the skinny Iceman mold for a character like Martinex is unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, monron999 said:

I don't think the Juggy Wave Iceman had shards coming out of his arms. I think you're thinking of the AoA Iceman from the Colossus Wave. And I'm not saying it would be ideal. I'm just making predictions from Hasbro's history of practice. I'd love for them to actually do another sculpt for Martinex and then use that mold for an updated Iceman, but from a company that consistently uses the Sunfire mold for characters 6'4" and over, such as Yondu, I don't think them using the skinny Iceman mold for a character like Martinex is unlikely.

oh yea i was thinking they were the same all around, but the jug wave figure does have a bit around his wrists though. i didn’t realize aoa Iceman had a much better looking torso too. maybe if they got rid of the shards on that buck, i guess that wouldn’t be too shabby.  
but yes i agree - it wouldn’t be surprising if they flat out used either of those Iceman figures for Martinez but good gosh i’d hope not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 10:41 PM, monron999 said:

I don't think the Juggy Wave Iceman had shards coming out of his arms. I think you're thinking of the AoA Iceman from the Colossus Wave. And I'm not saying it would be ideal. I'm just making predictions from Hasbro's history of practice. I'd love for them to actually do another sculpt for Martinex and then use that mold for an updated Iceman, but from a company that consistently uses the Sunfire mold for characters 6'4" and over, such as Yondu, I don't think them using the skinny Iceman mold for a character like Martinex is unlikely.

The Juggy wave did have shards on forearms and calves, but the AOA wave version could work too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, super-chillin said:

"...maybe if they got rid of the shards on that buck, it wouldn’t be too shabby.  
but yes i agree - it wouldn’t be surprising if they flat out used either of those Iceman figures for Martinex but good gosh i’d hope not..."

Martinex needs an all new sculpt. Sure, given their past moves, if hasbo did him they'd cut corners and use a mold already out there. But NECA was able to do it with Garax, who has the same faceted form as Martinex is supposed to have so its not some impossible design. As consumers, we really need to do better to hold hasbo to higher standards of accuracy; their attitude seems to be "good enough" and we've no one but ourselves to blame if we keep buying shoddy products.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, Jormungand said:

If its the original team, my vote is for Starhawk or Martinex. 

Yes. Just to add, before anyone says Martinex is too unique and doesn't have re-use potential, look at Maverick, Psycho-Man, Kree Sentry, for example. Fairly unique figures and they're not A listers. And the team did a beautiful, fantastic job with these. 

Of course, its not a given that the new figure would be part of the original group. So there's that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, only Mantis's comic version will A: keep Hasbro's trend going and B: gives me a long wanted Avenger checked off.

I'll take any of the above mentioned in their  classic suit but Mantis is top choice in this case 

As far as building out the team though, since I have the MCU team complete, is the classic 70s version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was talking with my friend about this, and I realized, could this be finally finally a comic Nebula? now that is actually what is top of my want list out of these potential figures, Comic Classic Nebula, we never ever got one in all of the 20+ years of Legends in 6'' (sure we got a 3.75 in a SDCC Box Set, that don't count), I think it's most due.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE