Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream For March 2023 Coverage - Avengers 60th, Spider-Man And Haslab Tease

toynewman

Yikes.

>No BAF

>Barely any accessories to make up for the lack of BAF (mismatched alternate hands for Jess and Ben, no alternate hands for Daredevil, Chasm and Tarantula, no effects for Jess, Chasm would need 5 times the accessories he comes with to properly capture his ethereal smoke)

>Faux-retro packaging to blatantly cash in on customer's predilection for retro packaging.

This is def an interesting twist, possibly a testing of the waters. Hasbro said last year they would continue to use plastic on their "Retro" style packaging but only two of the figures here are on "Retro" style cardbacks. The others are on more modern ones. A possible loop-hole or testing of the waters is what this feels like. Also no BAF pieces. So possibly testing the waters of phasing those out as well.

As for minimal accessories, well so many of you kept trying to use McFarlane Toys DC figures of an example that Hasbro should follow. Now that McFarlane figures also cost $25, looks like Hasbro is giving those people their wish.

On 3/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, JayC said:

This is def an interesting twist, possibly a testing of the waters. Hasbro said last year they would continue to use plastic on their "Retro" style packaging but only two of the figures here are on "Retro" style cardbacks. The others are on more modern ones. A possible loop-hole or testing of the waters is what this feels like. Also no BAF pieces. So possibly testing the waters of phasing those out as well.

As for minimal accessories, well so many of you kept trying to use McFarlane Toys DC figures of an example that Hasbro should follow. Now that McFarlane figures also cost $25, looks like Hasbro is giving those people their wish.

I hope they aren't getting rid of the BAFs. There are so many obscure characters that would never work or sell as a Deluxe. We need the BAF system for them. 

What the actual….

No BAF is super disappointing, there were so many options. I hope one of them addresses this at some point. The Spider-Verse wave is like this too, doesn’t bode well for the rest of the waves coming this year.

Guess I can skip Elektra then, still deciding on the Spider-people. I’ll get Chasm for the villains shelf. Gonna need 2 of Tarantula and Rose now ugh.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, tarot said:

I hope they aren't getting rid of the BAFs. There are so many obscure characters that would never work or sell as a Deluxe. We need the BAF system for them. 

I doubt they will completely do away with the BAF, but I def could see them only doing them sporadically, again very much like we see McFarlane do. 

Things have changed over the years. Waves  no longer ship together. Stores order solid cases of figures which is why you often see some figures in a wave show up before others or why you will see retailers hold back putting figures out until an entire wave arrives. The BAF model is no longer as practical as it once was for a variety of reasons.

I, and I assume many others, would be lying if I said I didn't see this coming eventually. First bad sign was the Into the Spiderverse wave, which like it or not, had a character in Cyborg Spider-Woman that could have been a BAF for that wave. Second bad sign, and I know a lot of the MCU fans had no problem with it, was the Cosmo BAF, which should have been a double pack with Rocket, in the GOtG wave. This is really no surprise to me at this point, but I really didn't expect this to happen with this wave as it didn't seem like, nor was it presented as, a retro card wave. I think this is the first mention of it. Just goes to show just how quick "environmental concerns" and zero plastic boxes get tossed out the window when it saves the company some cash, doesn't it? This is going to be the new norm and this is the new price point for ML single card figures with little to no accessories, and believe me, they will make the effort to include as little accessories as possible every chance they get. Here's the real kick in the cubes. There will continue to be some waves with BAF's, but there will eventually be another price hike, and judging by this situation it will be sooner rather than later, so BOHICA. This is all indicative of the management style of the current CEO of Hasbro, and appropriately named, Chris Cocks. He is to Hasbro what Bob Chapek was to Disney, and I assume will do similar irreparable damage to the company. He was almost single handedly responsible for the deterioration of the Dungeons & Dragons gaming franchise and ML is next on his list. As many have said in the past, the toy division of Hasbro is small compared to the rest of it's holdings so I'm guessing he's cool with it collapsing altogether. As collectors this is will the new rules for our passion, but hey, at least we'll have some nice pretty boxes/cards again.

I'm torn here. I like not having to buy the 2, 3 figures I don't want to get baf pieces, but paying 25 for some packaging I throw away sucks. It was fine when they were 5 bucks less than the other figures. I wish we could get an option for if we take it out of the package from Pulse at least. Also, I agree with Tarot. As much as I complain about lineups and Baf pieces, I want the baf for those crazy obscure villains that would never carry a deluxe line.

This feels like a blatant cash grab by Hasbro. Barely any accessories for any of the characters and no BAF piece either. This will make it impossible for collectors who want the figure but not the BAF piece to make some of their money back by selling the BAF piece. If they say they had to skimp out on accessories, they put the figures on a retro card. That is a complete B.S

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be too surprised either. They've been doing a lot more single-carded deluxe figures recently, and like Jay said, stores haven't been getting full cases recently. It is sad though, the BAF thing has been a core part of the Legends line for years. It will make things easier though, from the stand point of picking and choosing. If the Ant-Man wave had been sans-BAF and Cassie was a deluxe or something, I wouldn't have had to buy the comic figures, for example. But I hope it doesn't mean we'll cut down on the larger, more obscure figures we do get without BAFs. I guess we'll have to see what the line brings.

Sorta surprised by this, but then as I look at it, nah not really, I;m sure this is going to be a new trend going forward, likely we will only get a few waves a year with BAFs (saves money yet again), Hasbro has seen the uptick in popularity when a wave is carded, but that's artificial they will see that's not the case, it's the character selection, but the bean counters saw how well all of the retro carded stuff has done recently so they are trying that route, On one hand I'm very happy this wave has no BAF, I get to happily cherry pick, and on another hand sad that we are in a new era where we don't have BAFs all the time, to have a wave like this sans BAF is wild, and another Spidey wave coming later this year which is the same, one thing that is a big bummer but also not shocking is the lack of accessories here, no BAF yet less in the pack....eh whatever, I'm staying not shocked.

anyways cool with getting Rose, Tarantula, new Suit Jessica and DD Elektra, I'll skip the rest or maybe see what Chasm looks like in front of me.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:13 AM, GnarlyCharlie85 said:

Well this seems stupid on hasbro's end, half this wave would have been bought by more if a baf was attached to it. I feel half of these figs are a pass. Yall all got me hyped for a grizzlor or spider slayer, swarm, stegrron....

I'd say all of those will eventually appear in the near future. Frankly I don't think there's a need for a BAF for every wave, but I do find it kinda shady on the teams' part that they didn't state that from the very beginning. Its not like they didn't know there wouldn't be one, because all the fans were speculating/wish listing what it would be. 

I'm mildly surprised and disappointed by this being a carded wave rather than a windowless BAF wave, but I'm certainly not shocked. I'm also not going to overreact by taking it for anything more than it is. I don't think that this necessarily means the death of the BAF or even a reduction in them. This was likely just planned to be a carded wave all along, and that's fine.

It will certainly save me money whereas now I'll only be buying Chasm, Tarantula and The Rose. They were always going to be locks for me. However, I would have absolutely bought all figures that came with a BAF part if it was a BAF that I wanted. I am mourning that loss of a BAF, but happy to be keeping $80 in my pocket that I would have otherwise spent.

It's not impossible I'll reconsider buying the others if they ever hit deep clearance (50% off or better) and I'd likely buy some multiple in that scenario as well (especially The Rose), but otherwise I'm good with just the three figures that I knew that I was going to get all along, no matter what.

I do wish that they had kept the same retro style card for all of the figures, though. I don't know what the point of the new style is. Yes, we know that they're more modern figures but that doesn't mean that they had to change the card style. It's actually pretty annoying even though Chasm is the only one I plan on getting with that style of card back.

After looking at the design sheet I posted above for a few seconds, I just noticed that the figure is plagued by inaccuracies beyond (heh) the inaccurate black color.

The figure is missing patches on the back of the hand, the exposed web-shooter, and the notches on the boots. Honestly, considering we haven't seen the back of the figure yet, it wouldn't surprise me if they just mirrored the spider in the chest instead of doing the proper design.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, ADour said:

After looking at the design sheet I posted above for a few seconds, I just noticed that the figure is plagued by inaccuracies beyond (heh) the inaccurate black color.

The figure is missing patches on the back of the hand, the exposed web-shooter, and the notches on the boots. Honestly, considering we haven't seen the back of the figure yet, it wouldn't surprise me if they just mirrored the spider in the chest instead of doing the proper design.

yeah seems like this was a oh my new Spider-Man to make a figure of, quick get that into production, before even having much substantial details, because "new spider-man figure!!! argh" , seems like Miles is also incorrectly colored unless it's just me, but isn't he supposed to be pink not red?

either way both of these were easy who cares figures, less exciting then that New Symbiote weirdo Spider-Man from the Kingpin wave who appeared in like 1 or 2 issues.

honestly at this point in time, with the plague of constant new different more spider-manz figures, I wish we'd go back to random wacky variants of Deadpool, I'm missing old Wade, he was a fun pirate, weres the maid outfit, hip-hop d-pooly and bob ross cosplay?

On 3/9/2023 at 11:47 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

honestly at this point in time, with the plague of constant new different more spider-manz figures, I wish we'd go back to random wacky variants of Deadpool, I'm missing old Wade

I was hoping that they'd do the rainbow Deadpools like they did for the 3.75" figures. We do need a Deadpool wave with some wacky characters! How about this for a wave? Masacre (Mexican Deadpool), Fookiller, Solo, Slapstick, Stingray, Kidpool/Duckpool 2-pack, some new version of Deadpool himself with no BAF piece and a BAF of Champion as Deadpool (or better yet just as himself). Maybe sub in a full Madcap figure in there somewhere. I'd buy it!!

On 3/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, Reno said:

I was hoping that they'd do the rainbow Deadpools like they did for the 3.75" figures. We do need a Deadpool wave with some wacky characters! How about this for a wave? Masacre (Mexican Deadpool), Fookiller, Solo, Slapstick, Stingray, Kidpool/Duckpool 2-pack, some new version of Deadpool himself with no BAF piece and a BAF of Champion as Deadpool.

I'd buy it! sounds like a great fun wave, I'd like the new Version of DP to be Weapon X DP, still not sure why we never got that, since they made it in 12''

I to always hoped they'd do the entire Mercs team with the various colored Deadpools like they did in 3.75 inch, that would have been a no brainer it seemed at the time but they dropped the ball, would have been more rad if they did that set but gave us bodies reflecting the characters with mask off additional heads.

I always say I'm tired of Deadpool, but I always gravitate to buying Deadpool, and now that we are not getting Wade waves I want them again Ha.

Heads up, Wall-Crawlers! The newest wave in the Marvel Legends Series Spider-Man collection is here! Check out the Marvel Legends Series Marvel's Rose, Ben Reilly Spider-Man, Marvel's Chasm, Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, Miles Morales Spider-Man, Elektra Daredevil and Marvel's Tarantula! Available for pre-order now from our sponsors: BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth

Ben.Reily.1.jpg

Ben.Reily.2.jpg

Ben.Reily.3.jpg

Ben.Reily.4.jpg

Ben.Reily.5.jpg

Ben.Reily.6.jpg

Ben.Reily.7.jpg

Ben.Reily.8.jpg

Chasm.1.jpg

Chasm.2.jpg

Chasm.3.jpg

Chasm.4.jpg