Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream For March 2023 Coverage - Avengers 60th, Spider-Man And Haslab Tease

toynewman

On 3/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

yeah seems like this was a oh my new Spider-Man to make a figure of, quick get that into production, before even having much substantial details, because "new spider-man figure!!! argh" , seems like Miles is also incorrectly colored unless it's just me, but isn't he supposed to be pink not red?

You're correct. Miles' costume is supposed to be pink. I can give Hasbro a pass for that since that costume was colored very inconsistently in the comics themselves, but I was genuinely baffled when they presented Ben's figure and were like "it's his red and black costume."

The suit was very much colored red and blue, and that color palette is even in the design sheet. What's worse is that, while wearing this costume, Ben shared scenes with Peter, both as Spider-Man. And the hues of their non-red parts were almost identical. So you can't go with the "only the highlights are blue, but it's meant to be black" explanation (and I'd respect that since I'm a fervent proponent that the Iron Man Stealth Armor should be black and not blue), when the suit is clearly meant to be blue.

BNmXRmFOLWLCmpU8GpjNmLboAYRWgH1V_j4oB8yw

On 3/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, ADour said:

You're correct. Miles' costume is supposed to be pink. I can give Hasbro a pass for that since that costume was colored very inconsistently in the comics themselves, but I was genuinely baffled when they presented Ben's figure and were like "it's his red and black costume."

The suit was very much colored red and blue, and that color palette is even in the design sheet. What's worse is that, while wearing this costume, Ben shared scenes with Peter, both as Spider-Man. And the hues of their non-red parts were almost identical. So you can't go with the "only the highlights are blue, but it's meant to be black" explanation (and I'd respect that since I'm a fervent proponent that the Iron Man Stealth Armor should be black and not blue), when the suit is clearly meant to be blue.

BNmXRmFOLWLCmpU8GpjNmLboAYRWgH1V_j4oB8yw

yeah I presume as usual they tend to not pay much attention to the finer details, I don't know a ton about what is going on in the comics with Ben other then the obvious, but yeah this new suit is red/blue and that seems easy to see, but this is another case of Hasbro doing Hasbro, sometimes they google sometimes they don't. 😎

On 3/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, ADour said:

It's by design.

Spider-ManBeyond_CostumeDesign.jpg

I don’t really understand the new designers of costumes these days. Seems like for a character that is constantly in motion and contorting his body, you would want a way for the reader to orient what they are looking at to center. 

If the designer wanted the logo to be off-center for artistic reasons, then a vertical line of some type on the left side would have helped, or some negative space on the right side (like half of the right side could be blue so the spider logo’s legs would be the same length.

I’m still shocked by that Mile Morals design. It’s like they designed it for cosplayers - wear a tight body suit (very Spider-Man), but then cover your arms, torso, half your head, your waist, and hips under a too big trash bag…uh I mean a too big hoody.  Nothing about that design looks aerodynamic.

Maybe I’m just getting old.

Without a BAF, I only had to buy The Rose and Tarantula. Not a bad day. 🙂

On 3/9/2023 at 8:21 AM, JayC said:

This is def an interesting twist, possibly a testing of the waters. Hasbro said last year they would continue to use plastic on their "Retro" style packaging but only two of the figures here are on "Retro" style cardbacks. The others are on more modern ones. A possible loop-hole or testing of the waters is what this feels like. Also no BAF pieces. So possibly testing the waters of phasing those out as well.

As for minimal accessories, well so many of you kept trying to use McFarlane Toys DC figures of an example that Hasbro should follow. Now that McFarlane figures also cost $25, looks like Hasbro is giving those people their wish.

Are you sure? As far as I know, McFarlane figures are staying the same price- $19.99 for normal figures, $24.99 for figures in "Build A Figure" waves. Not that I'm a big fan of McFarlane's brittle, weirdly-articulated figures, and I still think Hasbro is a better value because of the overall better quality, I'm just wondering if, politely, maybe you didn't realize that Build A Figure waves have always been $24.99?

Chasm, Spider-Woman and Miles ( like every version ) are garbage IMO

And Elektra's neck seems really long under that scarf. Same with the Rose's torso.  Could just be the angles... 

Hasbro is losing what made the Retro cards special. No reason the characters they weren't retro before couldn't be on retro cards now. The new design looks too busy and lacks the charm. 

This is a hugely underwhelming wave now- no BAF, and way too few accessories/pieces. Not even a set of open hands for Tarantula? Inexcusable. I'm glad I can at least see the figures in this packaging, but as someone who opens 99.99% of the action figures that I buy, a backer card that I'm going to throw in a box after I slice the bubble off isn't worth as much as a BAF, or actual accessories/parts. They clearly think they can do this because of Spidey's popularity. I only pre-ordered The Rose- one of the two figures that I wanted most, and he at least includes enough parts to not make me feel completely cheated. Still, I may end up canceling the pre-order, we'll see. Every other figure, I will wait and see if I can get it below retail, unless I happen to have a lot of sales that month, and see a well-painted figure or two in stores from this wave. 

As has been mentioned, Hasbro's current CEO, Mr. Cocks, is TERRIBLE. He is doing irreparable damage to most of Hasbro's toy lines. He doesn't seem to realize that many people collect multiple toy lines, including non-Hasbro ones. Mattel is giving me better value with Masters of The Universe and WWE figures than Hasbro is with most of their lines- with inflation far outpacing wage increases, they're just going to price out a lot of consumers. I'm kind of dreading what the MSRPs are going to be for the Avengers 60th. Anniversary stuff, because I really want most of those. 

On 3/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, McHogan said:

Chasm, Spider-Woman and Miles ( like every version ) are garbage IMO

And Elektra's neck seems really long under that scarf. Same with the Rose's torso.  Could just be the angles... 

Hasbro is losing what made the Retro cards special. No reason the characters they weren't retro before couldn't be on retro cards now. The new design looks too busy and lacks the charm. 

Yeah- Tarantula is the only one of these that ToyBiz made a figure of (and he didn't come on the animated-style card)- this whole wave is just a brazen cash grab, and, I agree, it takes away the special-ness of retro waves. Figures/costumes that were introduced in the past 20 years just seem weird on retro cards. 

On 3/9/2023 at 7:46 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

I'm kind of dreading what the MSRPs are going to be for the Avengers 60th. Anniversary stuff, because I really want most of those. 

Me too.... I fear this upcoming Avengers wave will be the last one I get them all. As it stands, I'm already removing certain figures or sets that just aren't essential like the Squadron Supreme and Skrulls sets. Bummer but if the 2 packs reach over $60  I just can't justify a full price for frivolous purchases

I'll be hoping for discounts and spaced out release dates. 

yeah its hilarious that everyone was arguing over what BAF would be good enough to entice them into buying more than a couple of figs from the wave... only to find out there's no BAF at all.  the subsequent negativity is kind of hasbro's own fault - probably should've just announced that it was a retro wave from the get go.

Looks like an avg of 2 accessories per figure - most have 2, Tarantula has 0 and Rose has 5 (altho can he hold both guns? if not why give him 2?). No alternate heads at all in this wave either.

Rose and Tarantula are both characters that theoretically should appeal to me but neither is really essential for my Spidey's rogues gallery. Like everyone else i'll just wait for a price drop - probably i would bite at $15 or under for either.

So far i have 9 must-haves on my 2023 list, plus another 17 maybes (i guess make that 19 with Tarantula and Rose). right now i've mostly been chipping away at some on my "maybe" list from 2022 that i've been able to find on sale recently.  

For those curious my must-haves

• Ant-Man
  • Avalanche
  • Blob
  • Dark Phoenix
  • Ronan
  • Wonder Man
  • Yondu
  • Monica & Doom 2-pack

feels like these days most of the figs i want are exclusives, deluxe, or multi-figure sets.  i expect that pattern to continue.  I do think the retro X-men wave, Ch'od wave, and Puff Adder waves look pretty good, this retro spider-wave will hopefully be an aberration rather than a turning point.

Why is Elektra's head being sooooo small and the scarf being so tight? Don't they consider the articulation when it comes to her neck and Rose's long suit?

And I wonder what beneath Ben's mask is whether his head or a ball. Such a disaster when Ben Reily and Elektra are put together. Besides Miles and Ben's costumes color, can't Tarantula just be either blue&red or black&red?

Not to mention the design of those modern card is ugly. Thanks for that I can tell others I won't buy those four because of environmental concerns.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:29 PM, Mochan said:

Besides Miles and Ben's costumes color, can't Tarantula just be either blue&red or black&red?

My biggest issue with Tarantula is the black stripe on the outer arms. Hasbro couldn't move the stripe over slightly? That way they didn't have to use black pins that show through on the inner arms that are red?

On 3/10/2023 at 2:12 AM, leokearon said:

Going BAFless and introducing new plastic packaging is just a strange choice. It is odd to do it for a Spidey wave, given the amount of characters that could work as a BAF and the popularity of the character

They 100% know that Spidey waves tend to be some of the strongest sellers, so they think they can do this and it won't have a hugely negative impact on sales. Never mind that the previous Spidey retro waves were full of definitive versions of classic characters/costumes, and usually included a bunch of accessories/parts. As you said, too, there are plenty of characters particularly villains, that would work well as BAFs for Spidey waves. Many of those would probably never get a deluxe release, either, due to obscurity.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:47 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

seems like Miles is also incorrectly colored unless it's just me, but isn't he supposed to be pink not red?

Actually the designer Chase Conley said, 'His suit is not pink it’s just pink lighting (surprised I had to specify that actually)'. So I think the color could be right.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:33 AM, Emnems80 said:

My biggest issue with Tarantula is the black stripe on the outer arms. Hasbro couldn't move the stripe over slightly? That way they didn't have to use black pins that show through on the inner arms that are red?

That's a great idea but the stripes will have to be moved forward or backward. And it cannot be used on Chasm's arms. Hasbro should give Sunfire body new pinless arms to upgrade it if they want to keep using.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, ADour said:

Alright, decided to digibash a better Ben Reilly Spider-Man Beyond for fun:

39flld5bq6na1.png?width=2000&format=png&

Man, this figure really had the potential to be great... What a shame.

That really does look better. Makes the figure they are releasing look very phoned in

On 3/11/2023 at 3:14 AM, Mochan said:

That's a great idea but the stripes will have to be moved forward or backward. And it cannot be used on Chasm's arms. Hasbro should give Sunfire body new pinless arms to upgrade it if they want to keep using.

Hasbro can just use the RYV spiderman arms for pinless. I just wish they would use the Shang chi shoulders for the Sunfire body!