Marvel Legends Haslab 2023 Fan-Poll - Avengers Giant Man Vs Fin Fang Foom, Which Would You Rather See Done First?

JayC

Earlier this week during their Marvel Legends Live-Stream, Hasbro began to tease their 2023 Haslab project with a video indicating that it would be something Avengers based. Of course we fans immediately started speculating about what it could be. If Hasbro decides to go back to the more successful large figure route like we saw with the Sentinel and Galactus, than the most logical choice would seem to be a figure based on Avengers member Hank Pym as Giant Man. If Hasbro decided to try doing a vehicle again like last year's failed Ghost Rider campaign, then the most logical choice would be some kind of Avengers Quinjet.

While I have no real idea what Hasbro is planning, my gut feeling is they will do some kind of larger figure this year as opposed to a vehicle. So that puts the most likely choice back to being a new Giant Man figure. Toy Biz did a Build-A-Figure version which was part of a Walmart exclusive wave back in 2006 which stands just a little over 13" tall. That is still considered to be a solid figure even today, however if Hasbro decided to try their hand at the character for a Haslab, I would expect it to me more the size of their Haslab Galactus or Sentinel. Galactus stands 32" tall and the Sentinel stands over 26" tall.

Another strong candidate I could see for the next Haslab is a new Fin Fang Foom figure. Foom isn't one I think of as an Avengers team villain per se, but he has gone up against a number of Avengers team members such as Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. So I feel like you could still slip him in under the Avengers banner if you really wanted to.

Other reasons why I think Foom could be a strong candidate for Haslab is because I think he would have a wider appeal than Giant Man, and I have seen several Hasbro Marvel Legends brand team members bring his name up when discussing possible Haslab choices. In April of last year during a Marvel Podcast, Hasbro's Dwight Stall mentioned that he would love to get a crack at doing a new updated Fin Fang Foom figure.

Hasbro did a Marvel Legends Fin Fang Foom Build-A-Figure back in 2008. It was a figure that actually required you to buy two waves of Hulk figures in order to complete it and one that is still highly sought after by collectors today.

So I wanted to put the question out to you all, just for fun. If you could choose between a Marvel Legends 26"+ tall Giant Man or a new updated/larger Fin Fang Foom figure for the next Haslab project, which one would you choose? Let us know in the COMMENTS SECTION below.

Haslab-2023-01.jpg

Haslab-2023-02.jpg

Got to go with giant man thou i feel foom will be a haslab one year, giant man has got to be this years. Hasbro is going back to the basics on this years haslab for sure, can't risk another vehicle. Wouldn' t it be cool if giant man has like four or five figures of verying heights to put in front of one another scaling from 3 in to standered 6in all the way to sentenal or galtactus size. The tiers have endless possibilites and everyone will be on board for a giant man, can't say my idea is gonna happen cause i figure they will want to keep the price lower after last year.2023 the year of vindication for marvel legends?

If its going to be avengers themed, I will go with giant man. Not sure they would go over 20 inches with him, since it is a buck they could reuse for anyone with growth powers- all the goliaths and giant men who had the moniker, tower, living monolith, etc. But I still would.like them to give us a haslab scale dragon man first. Who knows, maybe he will come out as premium exclusive or something at retail, but I'm really looking forward to the day we get him.

My vote would be for Giant-Man for sure...or a Frost Giant.  Still surprising to see how well that Toybiz Giant-Man holds up (wish I never got rid of mine, but I knew they would eventually re-do it better, so I sold it while it still had value).  I do wish Hasbro would put in a better quality control person with appropriate focus groups, because the errors they make are easily avoidable, and a focus group would have told them, "NOPE, that is the wrong color hair...that buck is the wrong size for a character of this height...that character needs multiple heads if one is going to be growling...that character shouldn't have trigger hands if they don't have a gun...that version of the character is in the wrong costume."  They do a lot of things right and overall I am quite pleased as a collector, but far too often I am accepting something that they could have easily knocked out of the park with better planning and communication.

What if they could give us a body mold that could be modular and actually have clothes to put on him so we could actually make giant man, Goliath, Clint and Atlas. Idk, might be too Barbie dollish, but I would buy 4 if we could make several versions. Because I see no real way we ever get Atlas or Clint as real giant figures. They wouldn't have the mass appeal for a Haslab. But if we can somehow get more than one or two looks outta this guy. His first two or three looks would be doable with the hooded look and a cowl to put on him. But the look they choose will be key here. He changed his look so often, most outfits only saw a few issues at a time. 

But no way on a jet. I never need a couch sized toy for 1500 dollars. And Fin Fang Foom isn't really Avengers to me. Not sure I agree that he would have mass appeal either. I think he's more obscure than GM.

i would go with Foom just because i wouldn’t think Giant Man needs all that fancy work that haslab brings. his costumes are pretty basic as it is and doesnt need to be as huge as the sentinel anyway. maybe more like DOFP size. best approach with him, imo, would be to give the guy a more general release and then milk the mold a bit by doing repaints and other characters on it. if i could get classics of Josten, Barton and Foster out of it, then hell yeah.  
but that said, Foom isn’t the one who comes to mind after seeing a tease indicating that it’ll be in regard to the Avengers anniversary.

My first reaction would be none of the above. I'm pretty happy with the ToyBiz Walmart Giant-Man BAF and the Hasbro Foom BAF. I don't think we need a Quinjet. I have the one that they did in the Marvel Universe line that I hang from the ceiling and if I remember right I'm even able to get a 6" figure in it. (I also have that SDCC Helecarrier they did!). Jormungand mentioned Dragon Man, but I honestly can't imagine Hasbro topping the Toy Biz version that I already have and I don't believe the character is popular enough to fund as a HasLab.

Honestly the only Marvel Legends HasLab that I can honestly see getting funded after Galactus and the Sentinels is Giant Man. Fin Fang Foom would be the 2nd most likely but I'm skeptical it could get 12,000 plus purchases at $400+.  I can't really think of anything that I truly believe would fund at 10k+ purchase and a minimum $300 price tag. I know that I've seen some people float the idea that they could do something smaller and cheaper, but I don't think that's realistic for this license. Hasbro might do that for a license they own outright, but likely not for one they have to pay licensing fees for like Marvel and Star Wars.  I don't believe we'll ever see a Legends HasLab for under $300 and probably never under $400 again.

I think that Giant Man has to be the default as part of the Avengers anniversary, and quite honestly I think it might be the last Marvel HasLab that ever gets produced. I bought Galactus and 3 Sentinels (I wish that I'd bought a fourth to take advantage of all four heads), but I'm skeptical that I'd pay more than $300 for a new Giant Man. I'd be more likely to buy Foom personally, but I just don't think that it would ever get enough backers.

I think that I'm going to spend my HasLab money (really last year's money) this year on Mezco's Ultimate Godzilla and display it with my Marvel stuff. The HasLab that I REALLY want and was hoping that we'd get instead of Galactus is Mole Man's Giganto Mole Monster from the Fantastic Four #1 cover along with a new Mole Man and Moloids, but I know that would never fund. So I'll keep my ridiculous undersized ToyBiz Diorama and Heroclix versions.

I have the old Toybiz version and while he still stands today's as one of their best efforts Hasbro has shown they can improve on Toybiz's designs. They made much improved versions of MODOK, MOJO, Blob, and Ronan recently and would love to see how they'd up the ante with Giant Man.

My biggest complaint about the old Toybiz version has always been the over-articulation. Giant-Man, or any figure really, needs finger and toe articulation and that hurt the sculpt overall. Trying to give him a fist just looked terrible. They best pose I found was open hand, palms up and I'd stick a mini Wasp in between his fingers. 

So yeah Giant Man Haslab for me. Hopefully with multiple Giant Men/Goliaths 

Too many recent failed HasLabs. Hasbro needs a slam dunk with this: character selection, price point and especially PR.

PR: Foom is not an Avengers villain. From a PR/marketing standpoint Hasbro certainly doesn't need Ryan and Dan to be constantly on the defensive explaining why the 60th anniversary of the Avengers is being celebrated with a character that is not Avengers Team related. Similar how they had to constantly explain and try to artfully dodge why Goblin Queen was included in the Ghost Rider failure. They need to spend time promoting, not defending.

Price Point: From a monetary standpoint this HasLab needs to be economical. Pym or other giant guys are more economical, Foom is not.

Character selection: It's Pym - total and complete Avengers representation, especially as a founder. Including a second giant - Barton Goliath or Josten as MOE Goliath with Pym - great! Direct Avengers ties. Including Josten as Atlas instead or Josten Goliath? He's an ally as a Thunderbolt, not an Avenger, but he could boost sales. Including Foster instead of Barton/Josten would be similar to adding Atlas - ally, not an Avenger but a staunch ally and he would look amazing.

Including all four as the initial offering - Pym, Barton, Josten & Foster and each has a dedicated tier? That would be a dream, but the price point would be insane.

And if Janet is involved in this at all, she needs to be a headliner just like Pym. Not a tier. She is just as important as a founder as Pym, if not more so - she named the team. And it's her 60th anniversary this year. If she was just a tier that would be incredibly insensitive on Hasbro's part to have the only female founder as an afterthought and not a headliner. The absence of Jan is already odd - Tony, Thor and Bruce all have 60th offerings, and the Target Ant-Man takes care of Pym, if you use him as Pym and not Lang. So where is Janet's representation? The only founder with nothing... so far...

On 3/4/2023 at 12:09 PM, 010101 said:

Surtur! Surtur! Surtur!

If not, then Devil Dinosaur!

I think that we've likely gotten the only Surtur that we're ever going to get. It won't surprise me at all if they do a Devil Dinosaur from the new animated show with Moon Girl that is on Disney+, but it will probably be in a similar scale as the Spider-Rex kids figure they gave us last year, honestly it will probably be the same mold. I'd love a comic DD with both comic Moon Boy and Moon Girl, but I don't think it would ever fund as a HasLab. The kicker here is that if they can't sell at least 10,000 units of these at a minimum price point of at least $300, then it's just not going to happen as a HasLab.

I'd say it would be crazy not to make this a Giant Man Haslab this year, Avengers Anniversary, Ant-Man 3 Movie, the figure is economical, it would sell like crazy, if it includes alternate parts to make various versions of the character people would buy more then 1, it would be a real big missed opportunity not to do Giant Man as the Haslab this year, would I rather a Fing Fang Foom, yes and no, yes because I think he's way cooler and I like the look more, no because I don't want to spend 1000+ on one massive figure, that sounds selfish yes, I likely wouldn't buy a 1000 dollar Giant Man, it would save my wallet, but make so many fans extremely happy it's highly desired, the old BAF is very pricey now, they need to make something go, after the whole fiasco with the car last year, Giant Man would do that, I think he'd be way more likely to sell then Foom, because anybody who collects Avengers will want him, and buy more then one if it has the right accessories to make it worth while.

This Avengers Haslab has to be the Quinjet. Hopefully the design will be more classic and/or “adaptable” in nature. Much like the successful  GI Joe Classified Skystriker HASLAB, Hasbro can the. include multiple different sticker sets so the Quinjet could be Classic Avengers, West Coast Avengers, MCU Avengers. etc. This way it could also be somewhat like a “troop-builder” where people would be enticed to potentially buy multiple Quinjets. Throw in a Jarvis the Butler in the base offering with multiple Headsculpts (again to be adaptable to era’s) and this could be a successful HasLab base HasLab. 

The Legends Team needs to knock this HasLab out of the park so as not to repeat last years failure.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, Lovecomicbasedlegends said:

This Avengers Haslab has to be the Quinjet. Hopefully the design will be more classic and/or “adaptable” in nature. Much like the successful  GI Joe Classified Skystriker HASLAB, Hasbro can the. include multiple different sticker sets so the Quinjet could be Classic Avengers, West Coast Avengers, MCU Avengers. etc. This way it could also be somewhat like a “troop-builder” where people would be enticed to potentially buy multiple Quinjets. Throw in a Jarvis the Butler in the base offering with multiple Headsculpts (again to be adaptable to era’s) and this could be a successful HasLab base HasLab. 

The Legends Team needs to knock this HasLab out of the park so as not to repeat last years failure.

The Skystriker was for 3.75 inch figures not Classfied. The Classfied HasLab was the HISS Tank

Yes, I am aware of the 3/4 scale of the G.I. Joe HasLab Skystriker. Semantics error calling it “Classified”.

Legends 6” Scale Avengers Haslab QUINJET Base offering:

1. Quinjet adaptable to era: Classic, WCA, MCU with customizable stickers, etc.
  2. Working sound effects and light up electronics.
  3. Jarvis the Butler with multiple Headsculpts to adapt to era.

Stretch Goals ideas:

“Pilot” plain clothes figure with multiple heads: James Rhodes Head & hands, Scott Lang head and hands.

Comic Accurate Mantis

Comic accurate Moondragon

Comic Accurate Yellowjacket

Classic Ant-Man 6” & smaller scale flying figure

Classic Wasp 6” & smaller scale flying figure.

BASE PRICE: $349.95 (same as last years failed Engine of Vengence”

The Hulk Legends Foom already costs about $350-$400 ( at the lower end) on Ebay/secondary market, so a Haslab re-do just seems like another sting at that price point. 
Giant-Man, as a character doesn't really come across as having that widespread an appeal, at least to me--but since Galactus sold really well at that size/footprint, Giant-Man is a logical choice..  This Avengers Haslab is a surprisingly tough one to thunk out.

100% Giantman. I appreciate the love Foom gets but I think Giantman is the more well know between the two. Also, I think they'll gear away from vehicles this year after the Hellcharger debacle.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:33 PM, super-chillin said:

i’m not very familiar with modernish stuff nor do i hold much interest in that area so my question is which Giant-Man design could/would appeal to both classic and modern fans?

If they want to bring in old collectors they would do his classic look. But if they wanted to include a Raz head, then they would have to go avengers academy. 

I think Giant Man has the wider appeal of the two, but even then I'm still not sure he'd be that great as a Haslab. For one, which look would they choose? Off the top of my head he had 4 different classic outfits, with two of them, (the yellow & blue and the red and blue with the bug antennae) being debatable as to which is more iconic. If they go modern, then they risk isolating too many older and more classically inclined fans. 

Fin Fang Foom would look wicked, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay $500 Canadian dollars for one. 

If they're going to go big for an Avengers theme....then the only character off the top of my head I'd even consider paying that much money for would be Terminus. 

Neither.  I have both of those.  And although I'd never turn down a superior, updated version of either, I would much rather see something that I don't have.  (Ya know, I prefer Frog-Man and Egghead over a 15th Wolverine.)  And so, my "Avengers" vote is for a Quinjet!!  I just can't decide whether I'd prefer an MU version or an MCU version.