Marvel Legends Disney+ Wave 5 First Look?!?

JayC

Many of these look like they're going to suffer the same lack of articulation that plagued the Shang-Chi wave or the laughably tragic Eternals wave. Would've been nice if hasbo had taken this opportunity to branch out for some more soft goods presentations, theyve been producing these long enough by now. As it is....this is probably best for the hard core MCU collector. 

Cool looking figure. Would look great on people's displays. The articulation sure looks to be very limited, but it's one of those characters that doesn't need to be in crazy action poses. I think with the right magic effects, just having her stand there is good enough. That being said I'm not getting her, cause I don't feel like I need Agatha in my collection. It's good that the people who were interested are finally getting their wish fulfilled. 

On 6/24/2023 at 1:57 AM, Atlantis said:

Many of these look like they're going to suffer the same lack of articulation that plagued the Shang-Chi wave or the laughably tragic Eternals wave. Would've been nice if hasbo had taken this opportunity to branch out for some more soft goods presentations, theyve been producing these long enough by now. As it is....this is probably best for the hard core MCU collector. 

That's definitely my boat lol. This is the best wave we've gotten in a long time. It would be perfect if not for the stupid BAF choice. I have yet to see Goliath but at least he's a unique character.

Also I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here but soft goods on 1/12 figures aren't usually a good idea. With simple capes and robes they can work with a wire in them but for the intricate robes on Agatha and a lot of other characters, at best they would lack the detail that sculpted plastic gives and at worst they'd be super bulky looking and wouldn't sit right. Some Mezcos look fine but Hasbro can't even do cloth robes right with their Black Series so I would never in a million years trust them to do Agatha's robes cloth.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, tarot said:

This leg just proves that the BAF is at least different from the Deluxe set. and despite the horrid side image has alot more paint in it.

Yes. Not only is the detail different it actually looks to be substantially smaller than the Deluxe. Maybe this is an upgraded version. It would make sense as Iron Man gets smaller as it gets more advanced so should the Stomper. It looks kind of cool but I'm just not into the whole What If? thing. To me it just adds a lot of weird excess to ML.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, Ironspider428 said:

"...Also I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here but soft goods on 1/12 figures aren't usually a good idea. With simple capes and robes they can work with a wire in them but for the intricate robes on Agatha and a lot of other characters, at best they would lack the detail that sculpted plastic gives and at worst they'd be super bulky looking and wouldn't sit right. Some Mezcos look fine but Hasbro can't even do cloth robes right with their Black Series so I would never in a million years trust them to do Agatha's robes cloth..."

At this point, as long as hasbo's been in this game, by now they should have developed the skill necessary to to do soft goods, OR at least learned how to place enough seams and slits in the plastic so that articulated figures aren't as hampered like those I mentioned. Its like the whole double elbow issue for female figs....hasbo wasn't doing it and a lot of fans just concluded "it couldn't be done. Its not a good idea".

But others knew better, and eventually here we are today- swivel biceps and double elbows are the norm.  While not necessarily Mezco level, hopefully hasbo cloth goods will follow suit. 

No pun intended.

IN HAND images have surfaced on Social Media of the Hasbro Disney+ Marvel Legends Yelena (Hawkeye Series) 6-inch Scale Figure. This will likely be available from places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth sometime soon! Other figures in the wave as we've reported are set to include Talos, Kingpin (Hawkeye Series), Agatha Harkness (Wanda Vision/Agatha), Gamora (What If?) and (Secret Invasion) Nick Fury. The Build-a-figure for this wave is the Hydra Stomper.

Yelena.0.jpg

Yelena.1.jpg

I like this Yelena figure as a generic figure and would buy multiples on clearance for that purpose only, as I'm not really a MCU figure guy to begin with. With that being said, I don't think the likeness to the actress on this one is all that great - but honestly I'm not really a fan of Florence Pugh to begin with, so perhaps others will disagree? Hasbro tends to put the BAF torso with the figure they expect to sell the worst otherwise, so they must not have had much faith in this one themselves. Personally, I still like this Yelena figure better than the armored Gamora What If figure, which is the only figure in this wave that I flat out dislike. Agatha is the only one that I really like as more than a "generic", though.

I'm assuming that the Goliath figure will be Laurence Fishburne as Bill Foster from an episode of What If that we haven't seen yet... unless he shows up in Secret Invasion at some point...  I'm very interested in seeing that figure and I'm really hoping that it's from SI rather than WI (as long as they don't kill him off). I generally don't like the What If animated figures much.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Reno said:

Hasbro tends to put the BAF torso with the figure they expect to sell the worst otherwise, so they must not have had much faith in this one themselves.

As far as I've ever been able to tell, they really just tend to put the torso in with whatever figure takes up the least amount of space, for packaging considerations.  9 times out of 10 that's the/a female figure, but there's a handful of exceptions.  

On 6/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, Reno said:

"....I don't think the likeness to the actress on this one is all that great ..."

AWW, man...she's gonna look at the Sam Jackson figure, then the Ben Mendelsohn, and go "Kate Bishop, how you guys gonna do me like this"! LOL.  But seriously, this really looks nothing like her. Wouldn't be as bad if they didn't get Mendelsohn's likeness so dead-on.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:08 PM, RobertD said:

As far as I've ever been able to tell, they really just tend to put the torso in with whatever figure takes up the least amount of space, for packaging considerations.  9 times out of 10 that's the/a female figure, but there's a handful of exceptions.  

Perhaps that's true, but I think Hasbro is far more intentional than that. Maybe I'm just too cynical after years of collecting. I feel like the torso is always with the figure they expect to be the least likely to sell on it's own, then the head with the 2nd least likely (and it usually takes the least space in the packaging). It's the same reason that the figure they expect to sell the best doesn't come with a BAF piece at all (not because they're trying to save us the necessity of buying an A-Lister for the 200th time).  Generally I agree that it's often with a female character because those tend to sell the worst at retail in the action figure aisle (just ask Todd McFarlane, he's been very overly honest and open about that fact). Now when you have figures of characters like Howard or Rocket, then yes it's absolutely being put with the figure that takes up the least space -- but of course those types of figures should probably never have been stand alone to begin with.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:33 PM, Reno said:

Perhaps that's true, but I think Hasbro is far more intentional than that. Maybe I'm just too cynical after years of collecting. I feel like the torso is always with the figure they expect to be the least likely to sell on it's own, then the head with the 2nd least likely (and it usually takes the least space in the packaging). It's the same reason that the figure they expect to sell the best doesn't come with a BAF piece at all (not because they're trying to save us the necessity of buying an A-Lister for the 200th time).  Generally I agree that it's often with a female character because those tend to sell the worst at retail in the action figure aisle (just ask Todd McFarlane, he's been very overly honest and open about that fact). Now when you have figures of characters like Howard or Rocket, then yes it's absolutely being put with the figure that takes up the least space -- but of course those types of figures should probably never have been stand alone to begin with.

I kind of split down the middle on this. I absolutely agree they leave BAF parts out of the figure they think will already sell (ie; Wolverine). 

But looking at a lot of their choices over the years I don’t think the female/less popular theory plays out. Hard to believe they’d think X-23 would sell worse than Paladin. Living Laser over CitizenV or Nighthawk. Besides which, any BAF part should be as desirable as another if you actually want the BAF. Is someone collecting chests without the other pieces?

Yelena looks pretty rough in those pics, but I'm sure it's the lighting's fault, I'm certain that figure has the same level of facial likeness as the Fury, Talos and Harkness figs, this one just was a bad shot, she looks cool, I love this look for Yelena, and it's much better then the previous figure, and I love Florence, but I'm passing.

I just want to see the Goliath figure, that's the one outlier, there is no way somebody doesn't have that in hand as well at this point.

Honestly I think the Yelena figure is probably much better than these pictures represent. Trying my hardest not to insult the picture taker and it isn't my intention so don't take it the wrong way but I don't understand the reasoning for this selfie in the gym bathroom overhead view. The box tilted backward makes the figure look even more top heavy. First rule of toy photography 101. Find a level surface. Then find the perfect light or filter. I'm sure the picture itself was most likely a quick pic for verification and lighting and perspective was not the primary concern but to me why post of a pic if it doesn't look good. Actually in this case the picture on the box looks a lot better than the figure out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 7:12 PM, Atlantis said:

What on earth....is this coming from a newer WHAT IF series. Its a repainted Ant-Man. 

Well it is goliath which is essentially just black giant man. I'm pretty sure he would be using a similar costume in the mcu since the tech is the same. 

It looks like a Power Ranger, is it cool looking yeah sure, but this is too far off from the Comic look for me, I was hoping it would have been a fine fit in for a comic display but this is a no go, cool that it does look like the other MCU Ant-Man suits but in the Goliath colors, it's cool, but pass